gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:52:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Party unplugged and uncovered thats not on Unsurpassed Master 10  (Read 5491 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:56:48 PM »

I was curious if there was anything on The Beach Boys Party unplugged and uncovered thats not on the Unsurpassed Masters 10 box set.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »

and what is on Unsurpassed Masters that isnt on the Pary unplugged and uncovered album.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:24:02 PM »

Anyone have any of this information yet?
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:23:51 AM »

Dude, that's quite a tall order you're making there. It's not just a question of someone 'having the information' and posting it up. You'd have to listen to both releases in minute detail to figure out what was common to both and what was missing from each, and make copious cross-comparisons and take notes as you go. You have to have both time and inclination. Most people here, I'm guessing, are lacking one, other, or both.

There was a similar thread recently about SMiLE: what was on the SOTs that wasn't on the official box, and vice versa. Difference is, many people (especially some of the hardcore fans on this board) are more familiar with the SMiLE SOT material because they've been studying it for years (literally: the SMiLE SOTs came out in, what, 1999? 2000? and the official box was released over 4 years ago now. Even so, with all the time people have had when they could have done such a comparison, they hadn't, really — because it's a long, tedious job to compare releases in that way. The thread on SMiLE here did prosper, but only because one dedicated poster sat down and did the hard graft needed to make the comparison accurate. My hat is off to him - it was a lot of listening and a lot of work. You'd have to REALLY like SMiLE to do it. And he did.

Rightly or wrongly, most people simply haven't made that kind of detailed study of the SOT Party! material because, broadly speaking, there are fewer complexities and it's generally less interesting (having said that, I'm sure there are BB fans who are more interested in Party than SMiLE... but I'll nail my colours to the mast and admit that I'm not one of them). Plus, with Party there's no puzzle attached as there is with SMiLE (which bit went where? could this have connected to THAT?? etc etc), due to the latter's unfinished nature, so people haven't pored over every take in quite the same way. And the new official Party set is only just out, too, so there hasn't even been much time to do that kind of thing, even if you wanted to and loved Party that much that you could devote the time to creating such a comparison.

In short: the info you seek isn't just sitting ready-compiled in a text file, waiting for someone to post it here. It has to be created by lots of time-consuming work. I admit it, I don't have the inclination, and because I'm not that wild about Party, I don't have the new set either, so I can't do it. Why don't you give it a go and post the results here? Lots of Party fans would, I'm sure, love to read it.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:10 AM »

I admit it, I don't have the inclination, and because I'm not that wild about Party, I don't have the new set either, so I can't do it. Why don't you give it a go and post the results here? Lots of Party fans would, I'm sure, love to read it.

And even if you did have the inclination you wouldn't have the set, because it's not yet out in the UK (it comes out on Friday over here). Which is another reason people haven't been posting about this -- a large number of board posters haven't had the opportunity to listen to it *at all*, let alone compare it to the SOT box.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:01:03 AM »

Ah, fair point Andrew, thanks for the correction. I must admit, the Party set doesn't really float my boat, so I haven't been keeping an eye on any of the detail about it, release date or anything. I thought it had been out a couple of weeks already!

I must say, though, that I said the same thing about The Big Beat 1963 when that first came out... and I ended up buying that eventually! If there's one thing history proves in my case, it is that where BB releases are concerned, then completely unlike Margaret Thatcher (which I'm very pleased to be...), I absolutely AM for turning.

Probably all it would take would be someone giving me one good reason to buy the set, and I would crumble. I'm a sucker for the Beach Boys harmonies. But on Party they always seemed a bit lacklustre to me, a bit *too* off the cuff to be really good. I really liked the 'De-Partied' Mix of Devoted To You on the Hawthorne set, which shows their singing off beautifully... but of course I have that already. And I can't think of anything else on Party that I would want to the same extent. I'm not that wild about the *finished* take of Barbara Ann, let alone the flubbed takes that led up to it...

So I don't think I'll spring for this. But ask me in six months, and I might tell you different...!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »

<Probably all it would take would be someone giving me one good reason to buy the set, and I would crumble.>

Apart from the chatter, which is delightful (there are a number of moments where Carl is clearly in charge... at one point asking for icewater in a bucket due to the pain in his hands from playing... another when Brian is pushing him... and Carl warns him off) and the comedy and sarcasm, music unreleased highlights, for me, make this a must have:
BLOWIN' IN THE WIND - one of Al Jardine's finest lead vocals... sung straight... beautiful
HULLY GULLY - there's an incredible out-take with plenty of riffing and improve, with the band singing "Peanut... peanut butter" in place of the regular chorus, which is great musically, and absolutely hilarious.  Reminds me of classic Jan & Dean schtick like "Schlock Rod pts 1&2."
SATISFACTION - infectious because these guys are big fans of the Stones... THEY are enjoying doing this
TELL ME WHY - great vocal from Carl... again, this is a wonderful moment behind the curtain... a "genuine" party moment because they absolutely love the Beatles.
CALIFORNIA GIRLS - proves why they were at the peak of their powers.  A wonderful, impromptu, mostly straight unplugged full version of the hit.
SHE BELONGS TO ME / THE ARTIST (LAUGHT AT ME).  Funny Mike stuff... the initial thought is that this is Mike doing a bad Dylan impersonation, until you realize he's doing a parody of Sono Bono's bad Dylan impersonation in "Laugh at Me" (check Sonny's original out on You Tube!). 
FOOLING AROUND / HANG ON SLOOPY, et. al) - A medley of various hits of the time all using the same chord progression. Interesting to note it begins with Dino, Desi & Billy's "I'm A Fool" and Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders' "Game of Love" (both uncredited).
ONE KISS LED TO ANOTHER and SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE are fun... interesting to compare to the Beach tapes from 1989/Endless Summer.

So I found lots to enjoy in this set. 

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »

HULLY GULLY - there's an incredible out-take with plenty of riffing and improve, with the band singing "Peanut... peanut butter" in place of the regular chorus, which is great musically, and absolutely hilarious. 

For those not in the know, "Peanut Butter" was a real song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJaw61RfTzQ

It even inspired a Peter Pan peanut butter jingle.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »

1961.  From the description: Same music, same record label (Arvee) as Hully Gully by The Olympics from 1960.
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »

HULLY GULLY - there's an incredible out-take with plenty of riffing and improve, with the band singing "Peanut... peanut butter" in place of the regular chorus, which is great musically, and absolutely hilarious. 

The "Come on take a lesson now" lyrics from 'Peanut Butter' Brian also sings in the song The Baker Man... Interesting how everything ties in together...
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »

The "Come on take a lesson now" lyrics from 'Peanut Butter' Brian also sings in the song The Baker Man... Interesting how everything ties in together...

"Come on, take a lesson now" seems to be a common lyric of several essentially identical songs: "Hully Gully", "Peanut Butter" and indeed "Everybody Monkey" (by Freddy Cannon, of "Palisades Park" fame).  It must be part of the DNA.
orangeboulder
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 08:05:31 PM »

bumping because I'm interested in knowing too.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 09:22:49 AM »

I'm never going to be a scholar of this album, but when I eventually got around to listening to Uncovered and Unplugged I was struck by how good a lot of the outtakes were and what a missed opportunity the album was as a result. If they'd dropped guff like Papa Oom Mow Mow in favour of slightly more polished versions of things like Satisfaction and She Belongs To Me, the album could have fit in with the 1965 folk rock boom and helped them pivot to a more hip image going forward. Instead they got a big hit out of the retrograde Barbara Ann right when they needed it least.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 11:03:31 AM by William Bowe » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 11:24:04 AM »

I'm never going to be a scholar of this album, but when I eventually got around to listening to Uncovered and Unplugged I was struck by how good a lot of the outtakes were and what a missed opportunity the album was as a result. If they'd dropped guff like Papa Oom Mow Mow in favour of slightly more polished versions of things like Satisfaction and She Belongs To Me, the album could have fit in with the 1965 folk rock boom and helped them pivot to a more hip image going forward. Instead they got a big hit out of the retrograde Barbara Ann right when they needed it least.

Damn, that's a great point. Ah well!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx