gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681427 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 03:50:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1965 archives  (Read 22277 times)
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »

As of now it's just online. Easy enough to burn a CD with your own artwork if you see fit. You'll need two discs.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »

Assume though that hi-res downloads will appear on HDTracks and Pono etc before long? Haven't gone down the hi-res download road before but starting to think it's the way forward for releases such as this.

“We live in divisive times.”
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »

Something else of interest...

This release now proves that several of the tracks labeled as a "rehearsal" on the first SOT Live in Sacramento disc are actually rehearsals for these Chicago performances and not Sacramento as originally thought. Also add the first eight tracks of disc 3 of the SOT Live Box for the studio vocal repair tracks. If you're a nagging completist, add the previously released Chicago recordings to your set. You'll still need two discs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:08:35 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »

This is also available on Spotify.  Can't believe there's literally been no mention of it from the official channels.  I guess they really did spend all of their budget on Uncovered and Unplugged.  LOL
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »

Let's hope there'll be a release for the remaining '65 studio sessions.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2015, 03:12:45 AM »

Has In The Back Of My Mind backing track been issued officially yet - I can't remember. For sure that's one of the finest backing tracks Brian ever made.

I totally agree! I could listen to the backing track for hours.
The only official release I could think of is the "Hawthorne, CA" compilation. But that has Dennis talking over the track

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »

This set doesn't interest me, but I'm still hoping for a 1965 studio release of additional Today and SDSN material.  Glad Capitol is putting things out like Chicago 1965 - it bodes well for other shows coming out in the future.  It's tough to wait, but you could almost expect them on schedule every year.  Sure hope some additional lost tapes from SMiLE and the rest of Wild Honey are found in time along with the vocal masters for Good Vibrations.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »

JOHN MANNING--  think I must have transferred Mike Loves Xmas single at same time.....!!!!
pool_of_tears
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »

it would be nice to have this on cd, as I don't like mp3's
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »

JOHN MANNING--  think I must have transferred Mike Loves Xmas single at same time.....!!!!

LOL

Have yet to download that one… tonight's treat, me thinks

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »

It's being released as a way to extend the copyrights on the recordings in the EU, where recordings would go into the public domain after fifty years.

I understand why they are released, for copyright extension, but what is the history with the Chicago 1965 show? Was it a scrapped live release? I understand the Sacramento 1964 show was ultimately used for Beach Boys Concert.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »

Correct: potential live album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:28 PM »

Correct: potential live album.
Thanks!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »

It's being released as a way to extend the copyrights on the recordings in the EU, where recordings would go into the public domain after fifty years.

I understand why they are released, for copyright extension, but what is the history with the Chicago 1965 show? Was it a scrapped live release? I understand the Sacramento 1964 show was ultimately used for Beach Boys Concert.

Sacramento 1963 as well as 1964.

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »

Does the release contain the entire shows or the shows minus what was already released?

Seems entire to me…

Runaway on MiC is from the second show, and that's on this set

409 on the Singles Collection is the dsame as this set (second show) but it seems not to have been performed at the first show – Eric's brilliant setlist site doesn't include these shows far as I can see so can't refer there for more data.

Has anything else from Chicago '65 been released prior to today's gift? I'm guessing these are complete shows, with nothing hidden!

I'm almost sure that Runaway on MiC is from the first show.

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2015, 03:57:04 AM »

Who sings the bridge on Surfer Girl in the first show?
Seems like it is Dennis.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »

Does the release contain the entire shows or the shows minus what was already released?

Seems entire to me…

Runaway on MiC is from the second show, and that's on this set

409 on the Singles Collection is the dsame as this set (second show) but it seems not to have been performed at the first show – Eric's brilliant setlist site doesn't include these shows far as I can see so can't refer there for more data.

Has anything else from Chicago '65 been released prior to today's gift? I'm guessing these are complete shows, with nothing hidden!

I'm almost sure that Runaway on MiC is from the first show.

You're right!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »

Who sings the bridge on Surfer Girl in the first show?
Seems like it is Dennis.

I haven't got the files yet. Guess I'm waiting 'til January. But re: Surfer Girl, at the Michigan show in '66 Dennis sang the bridge on one performance, Carl on the other (and blew it).
Japan '66 has also Dennis singing the bridge iirc
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:25:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »

Listening as I type. First few songs of the first show - trainwreck. The sound man should have been hung up by his balls for (apparently) placing Denny's mike inside the bass drum. Gets sonically better during "SUSA" but guys... by now you should know the words to your own songs, huh ?

First show "SG" middle-eight is Dennis... like Mike says, right before he comes in.  Smiley

"Runaway" is Jardine clean !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:58:49 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »

Ah, knickers. Lee Dempsey's post on the 'future copyright extension set' thread (the 19th in that thread at the time of posting, and located here) makes me think a 1965 studio set is much less likely to be waiting ready to go before this year's end, sadly. I explain my reasoning in the post right under Lee's.

As I did there, I'm hoping here that I am spectacularly, stupendously, ignominiously incorrect in this assumption, and that something packed with the cream of the 1965 sessions, new mixes, acapellas and Stack-O-Track mixes, kitted out with a title appropriate to the year, will be downloading its way to my iPod within a couple of days. Given how uncertain I now feel about that happening, I think a good title would be 'And Your Dream Comes True '65'... Sad
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »

WTF - no Dance, Dance, Dance? That was a hit single just few months ago, and they play "Louie, Louie" instead? Probably left it off just to annoy me 50 years later. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2015, 12:38:13 AM »

WTF - no Dance, Dance, Dance? That was a hit single just few months ago, and they play "Louie, Louie" instead? Probably left it off just to annoy me 50 years later. Roll Eyes

I suspect that was just to avoid having to change guitars -- Dance Dance Dance requires a twelve-string, and in a short set it was probably much easier to keep the same guitar throughout the show rather than swap for a single song.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:58 AM »

To which end it was entirely successful !  Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2015, 01:47:53 AM »

I suspect that was just to avoid having to change guitars -- Dance Dance Dance requires a twelve-string, and in a short set it was probably much easier to keep the same guitar throughout the show rather than swap for a single song.

I respectfully disagree. First of all you can play DDd on a 6-string too, it'll just sound different. That's like claiming castagnets are required to do DDD. But even if a 12-string WAS required - I think on the sound samples I hear a 12-string throughout.

DDD is criminally neglected in live sets and releases. In fact the reason I didn't buy the 2012 live CD was because I was annoyed it was left off - it was rarely ever played on that tour. Having listened to the CD since, I don't regret not having bought it - terrible sound, stiff, without any exitement.

The sound samples of this Chicago concert release sound good, though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2015, 05:01:25 AM »

Yeah the first show in Chicago had problems-You can't hear Dennis' vocals on Do You Wanna Dance and the entire band is terribly out of tune.  The band's backing vocals on "Little Honda" keep cutting out.  Brian forgets the words on Don't Worry Baby ("Carl what's the words?" and then apologizes in the middle of it "and I wrote the song too!!!")  But this was common at 60's shows-which is why most "live" albums of that time had to be overdubbed later (including the Beach Boys In Concert, Beatles at Shea Stadium-for TV release- and the Stones first live album (released only in the U.S.) Got Live If You Want It)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx