gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:04:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1965 archives  (Read 21991 times)
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »

Will they release 1965 hidden gems in the next days  like that famous Chicago concert.
we got 1963 and 1964 digital releases why not 1965?
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »

Isnt the party album released in 1965. we got that raritie from Capitol rec.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:23:08 AM »

Will they release ... that famous Chicago concert.

Oh man, that would be a dream come true!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »

Well if Mark and Alan are still working for Capitol then of course, they would want us to hear it! I'm sure the Party sessions are there to wet our appetite for now!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »

I'm sure the Party sessions are there to wet our appetite for now!

Why are you so sure ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »

I just have that feeling, sorry AGD! Cheesy I mean a while back there was talk of releasing the Beach Boys stuff Outtakes etc. through cd and Digital. I mean we now have the Big Beat 63, The 64' Sessions and the Sacramento Shows from Digital and we have the Party! Sessions Set on CD.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:27:12 AM by branaa09 » Logged
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »

Well considering this year marks the 40th anniversary of Beachago.. I don't see a release of that anytime soon. Maybe for the 72nd anniversary!

Oh and this Party unplugged nonsense, now that's scraping the bottoms of some barrels.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 02:20:16 AM »

Well considering this year marks the 40th anniversary of Beachago.. I don't see a release of that anytime soon. Maybe for the 72nd anniversary!

They're not talking about Beachago (though that would be nice too). There were two live shows recorded in 1965 in Chicago, for which the band did studio vocal overdubs on a few songs, for a planned live album. The studio overdub sessions are on the Sea of Tunes live box (disc three).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »

They're not talking about Beachago (though that would be nice too). There were two live shows recorded in 1965 in Chicago, for which the band did studio vocal overdubs on a few songs, for a planned live album. The studio overdub sessions are on the Sea of Tunes live box (disc three).

Right. there are also a couple of performances on official CDs. "Shut down" (Hawthorne, CA), "409" (Singles Box), "Runaway" (Made in California). Did I forget one? Someone on this board mentioned that he also heard "Please let me wonder" from this show at Alan Boyd's home iirc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »

I enjoyed the Party sessions material but I won't lie; I was dreaming of a Today and Summer Nights sessions release this year and can't help but feel disappointed.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

I know this will only disappoint folk more but…

Live downloads on Amazon UK:

Washington Monument, Washington, July 4th, 1984 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01808MSZ8

Fillmore East, New York, June 27th, 1971 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fillmore-East-Collection-Remastered-Broadcasting/dp/B01808A4UE

Ben Franklin Parkway Art Museum, Philadelphia, July 4th, 1985 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting) (feat. Jimmy Page)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franklin-Philadelphia-Collection-Remastered-Broadcasting/dp/B018089SU6

The Mall, Washington, July 4th, 1981 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mall-Washington-Collection-Remastered-Broadcasting/dp/B018088VYK

I only listened to a sound sample from one… and gave up…

“We live in divisive times.”
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:12 PM »

Right. there are also a couple of performances on official CDs. "Shut down" (Hawthorne, CA), "409" (Singles Box), "Runaway" (Made in California). Did I forget one? Someone on this board mentioned that he also heard "Please let me wonder" from this show at Alan Boyd's home iirc.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4687.msg179367.html#msg179367
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »

Washington Monument, Washington, July 4th, 1984 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting)

Fillmore East, New York, June 27th, 1971 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fillmore-East-Collection-Remastered-Broadcasting/dp/B01808A4UE

Ben Franklin Parkway Art Museum, Philadelphia, July 4th, 1985 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting) (feat. Jimmy Page)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franklin-Philadelphia-Collection-Remastered-Broadcasting/dp/B018089SU6

The Mall, Washington, July 4th, 1981 (Doxy Collection, Remastered, Live on Fm Broadcasting)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mall-Washington-Collection-Remastered-Broadcasting/dp/B018088VYK

Why did you give up John if you don't mind me asking.  I think the sound quality is pretty good.  That label released the Surfer Girl LP and a few other 'grey area' releases recently I think.

I'm sure I have a few of these (Filmore for sure) I might get the others. I wonder how long they'll be up?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »

It would seem odd to not have a release covering the rest of Today!/SDSN, even with the Party! CD...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »

Give it time, people. The previous two copyright extension releases came in the middle of December. Dare I say it, but I have faith.*

*I never thought I'd ever say these words in reference to an archival release and I fully expect to be disappointed, but hey.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »

I Tried buying all of these and Amazon wont let me. Is it because I am from The US??? I would love to buy all of those for my collection!!! Anyone knmow what my problem is?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »

Why did you give up John if you don't mind me asking.  I think the sound quality is pretty good.  That label released the Surfer Girl LP and a few other 'grey area' releases recently I think.

I'm sure I have a few of these (Filmore for sure) I might get the others. I wonder how long they'll be up?

First up, I wasn't that blown away by the sound quality - like the recent Carl live CD, I suspect these are recorded off the radio/TV at the time of the original broadcast rather than being from the actual love tapes and suffer accordingly.

Also, I already have these on CD from illegitimate sources - most have been knocking around a while.

Would much rather await official releases, properly mixed and mastered. Might not happen in my lifetime, but in the meantime the boots will keep me happy*.

I Tried buying all of these and Amazon wont let me. Is it because I am from The US??? I would love to buy all of those for my collection!!! Anyone knmow what my problem is?

Suspect you're right with the "country of origin" angle. I haven't looked to see whether these are Lso on iTunes but there's been a fair amount of shady stuff there too in the past.

* this answer came to me in a dream - when I awoke in a feverous sweat and checked, to my great relief I found my collection was entirly untainted by the blemish of scurrilous "bootlegs", as I believe they are known.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 02:09:05 AM »

I have faith that a 1965 archival release will be announced/available within the next two weeks (or the next few days even).  The Big Beat was announced on December 11th, 2013 and Keep An Eye On Summer was announced on December 2nd, 2014.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:27:11 AM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »

First up, I wasn't that blown away by the sound quality - like the recent Carl live CD, I suspect these are recorded off the radio/TV at the time of the original broadcast rather than being from the actual love tapes and suffer accordingly.

Also, I already have these on CD from illegitimate sources - most have been knocking around a while.

Would much rather await official releases, properly mixed and mastered. Might not happen in my lifetime, but in the meantime the boots will keep me happy*.

Suspect you're right with the "country of origin" angle. I haven't looked to see whether these are Lso on iTunes but there's been a fair amount of shady stuff there too in the past.

* this answer came to me in a dream - when I awoke in a feverous sweat and checked, to my great relief I found my collection was entirly untainted by the blemish of scurrilous "bootlegs", as I believe they are known.

What shaddy stuff been on itunes lately? I havent seen anything in a year or two but I may have missed something. Man feels like I am missing out not being able to buy those four albums from amazon uk!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »

Quote from: John Manning
I haven't looked to see whether these are also on iTunes but there's been a fair amount of shady stuff there too in the past.

What shaddy stuff been on itunes lately? I havent seen anything in a year or two but I may have missed something. Man feels like I am missing out not being able to buy those four albums from amazon uk!

Dunno. I haven't looked to see whether these are also on iTunes but there's been a fair amount of shady stuff there too in the past.

Smiley

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:50 AM »

I dunno about this... I mean, I'd love to see another copyright extension release to cover 1965, sure — what BB fan wouldn't? — but isn't the Party set already likely to be that? Record companies, rightly or wrongly (usually wrongly IMHO) hate putting out releases by big groups too close together, claiming that sales of one detract from another, and the space between October and December isn't very great. I've always thought that this kind of record company release logic doesn't hold for the hardcore fans anyway, as we will buy pretty much anything whenever it's out, and especially a KAEOS64 style release for 1965, but then 'Newsflash: Record Companies Proved Immune To Logical Thinking' isn't likely to be a headline any time soon...

I really hope I'm wrong, but I wonder whether the Party set might be it for this year. I mean - what would they put on a 65 set apart from more live stuff? (as you can see from this comment, I'm a bit 'meh' about live releases, especially from this period, and am really only interested in studio stuff). Most of the stereo mixes that can be done from that time are out now, I think? I'm not an expert on the period though, so if you can think of a killer tracklisting for a 65 set that has slipped my mind, feel free to educate me!

Meanwhile, I hope to be proved spectacularly, staggeringly incorrect within mere hours of this post. [starts counting seconds...]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:45:08 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 03:00:07 AM »

Yeah they wouldn't do back-to-back archival releases.

Except they did... last year... Keepin' Eye on Summer Alive 1964 and Live at Sacramento 1964.

EMI just issued the earliest Syd recordings from 1965, so the extension law is still intact. Everyone knows there's plenty of material* for a potential Girl Don't Tell Me/California Girls/Let Him Run Wild/Please Let Me Wonder/Kiss Me Baby/You're So Good to Me 1965 (I'm betting on any one of those titles).

*Albeit mostly already booted.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:04:09 AM by puni puni » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:22 AM »

That a Today/SDSN set (and anything else) hasn't come out yet doesn't make me think it isn't coming.  It just needs to be released by the end of the year. 

That they do a great job with the sound and sell it to us is probably just by-the-by for the company (although it's really great for us), given they're not releases of album product in the normal sense and they're just selling downloads to a small number of hardcore fans.  I'm still relaxed about it.  I can't see why it wouldn't be in the pipeline.  Although I accept I could well be corrected about that by the end of the month.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 05:04:48 AM »

I just want that live version of "Please Let Me Wonder" with Brian from '65.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »

I really hope I'm wrong, but I wonder whether the Party set might be it for this year. I mean - what would they put on a 65 set apart from more live stuff? (as you can see from this comment, I'm a bit 'meh' about live releases, especially from this period, and am really only interested in studio stuff). Most of the stereo mixes that can be done from that time are out now, I think? I'm not an expert on the period though, so if you can think of a killer tracklisting for a 65 set that has slipped my mind, feel free to educate me!

I'm mostly into studio stuff as well, but I have to say I really would like to see a release of "Please Let Me Wonder" live from Chicago in '65. It's a pretty rare thing, Brian doing a live lead on that song in the '60s, or really at all until the '90s. So it's definitely something I'd want in my collection. Also, if there were any other live covers like the version of "Runaway" from Made In California, I'd be interested in those as well.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx