gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:07:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1965 archives  (Read 22076 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 08:38:22 AM »

They really should've released the Chicago show in the first half of this year. I have a friend who was born that very day of that concert, it would have made a great present for his 50th birthday.

Even though he is more of a Beatles fan. Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »

Right. there are also a couple of performances on official CDs. "Shut down" (Hawthorne, CA), "409" (Singles Box), "Runaway" (Made in California). Did I forget one? Someone on this board mentioned that he also heard "Please let me wonder" from this show at Alan Boyd's home iirc.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4687.msg179367.html#msg179367

Yes, thank you! That was the post I had in mind

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »

“Live in Chicago 1965” has dropped on Amazon digitally. Out of courtesy for waiting for the official announcement I’m burying this news here and not starting a new thread.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »

iTunes has it too for $17.99. Sounds great!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

"Please Let Me Wonder" from Chicago!  Happy Dance
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »

Great stuff! Thanks for the info, guys.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »

Really interesting how the arrangement on Please Let Me Wonder changes from one night to the next. Probably because the first night was kind of off the rails.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »

Downloading now… if in lucky I'll get to listen en route to work.

Not a bad end to the year at all! Bank account empty!!!!!

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:27 AM »

OK... so after giving it another shake, something else DID drop out of the Capitol vault supply tube before year end, in true 'Being John Malkovitch style' - great!

Is it worth anyone going up to the seven-and-a-halfth floor and having another poke around behind the filing cabinets? He said, hoping for some more studio session stuff, official stack-o-tracks/-vocals mixes etc etc...

...yeah, I know. I'm asking a lot. But, ya knaow, if ya never ay-asks... ya never getsks, right?

Plus, there's been no official announcement of the Chicago 65 Live set anywhere yet that I can find... so I'm hoping the imminently forthcoming official press release tells us all about the Chicago '65 set... along with er, the OTHER release that is, I'm hoping, about to drop...

In line with my bank balance...!  Wink
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:50:14 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 05:01:46 AM »

#therealbeachboys

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 05:54:43 AM »

Had a general listen to the first gig and can understand why it never saw the light of day until now… many flubbed notes, intros, forgotten lines, mic or mixing probs, too many overlaps with Beach Boys Conert!…

But what an electric performance - Mike is as confident as ever, some of his jokes even funny (in a smile kinda way, not a laugh out loud way!) - and Brian sounds on top of things, not at all stage-shy, even joking when he forgets a ton of lyrics in PLmW.

Great document… hard to appreciate though, even with 50 years' hindsight, that this same band bashing out Pappaoomowmow and Louie Louie would be tackling Good Vibes and Wouldn't it Be Nice before much longer.

bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 06:08:30 AM »

I would agree that they definitely were not at their live performaning peak on these shows but nevertheless, they are fun as hell to listen to because of all of their energy. I bet the concert venue was really alive at those performances.
Thank you to all involved in getting this out. I've wanted this show for many many years and you all delivered once again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:53 AM »

Does the release contain the entire shows or the shows minus what was already released?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 07:09:38 AM »

“Live in Chicago 1965” has dropped on Amazon digitally. Out of courtesy for waiting for the official announcement I’m burying this news here and not starting a new thread.

That's some of the best news in Beach Boys world in years!! Great! Can't wait to get it and listen
To me there's almost nothing better than the Beach Boys with Brian live in their early heyday. I love that act

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018XLC97E?ie=UTF8&keywords=beach%20boys%20chicago&qid=1449846662&ref_=sr_1_1&s=dmusic&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:18:54 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So happy Chicago '65 came out, thanks to everyone that made it happen!  Great time to be Beach Boys fans with all these archival releases coming out.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »

It is also on iTunes.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »

w00t!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 10:17:06 AM »

Does the release contain the entire shows or the shows minus what was already released?

Seems entire to me…

Runaway on MiC is from the second show, and that's on this set

409 on the Singles Collection is the dsame as this set (second show) but it seems not to have been performed at the first show – Eric's brilliant setlist site doesn't include these shows far as I can see so can't refer there for more data.

Has anything else from Chicago '65 been released prior to today's gift? I'm guessing these are complete shows, with nothing hidden!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »

Seems entire to me…

Runaway on MiC is from the second show, and that's on this set

409 on the Singles Collection is the dsame as this set (second show) but it seems not to have been performed at the first show – Eric's brilliant setlist site doesn't include these shows far as I can see so can't refer there for more data.

Has anything else from Chicago '65 been released prior to today's gift? I'm guessing these are complete shows, with nothing hidden!

I think a track from one of the shows was offered as a Best Buy-exclusive download with the purchase of the “Warmth of the Sun” CD in 2007. I think it was “Shut Down.” This was in the earlier days of digital downloads; I think it had DRM and/or other restrictive stuff. I remember it being especially convoluted to actually redeem the download.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »

Terrific news re Chicago. If I hadn't bought Dylan's massive Cutting Edge set I'd download it straight away. Currently serving a new music ban.
Team Dylan and Team Beach Boys are leading the way as far as archival releases are concerned. Many thanks to Mark, Alan et al.
Plus I've said it before but man am I looking forward to next year - Dylan World Tour 66, more Smile (?) I'm In Great Shape acetate (?), Revolver - The Complete Sessions.
OK, I lost my mind after mentioning the I'm In Great Shape acetate.
Has In The Back Of My Mind backing track been issued officially yet - I can't remember. For sure that's one of the finest backing tracks Brian ever made.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »

Yep. I'm still checking in on this thread every couple of hours, hoping for something that contains an official release of that exact superlative backing track to be announced... very soon. It's sure to sell at least 500 units by January, guys!

I'm really setting myself up for a fall, here, but it's got to be worth checking in every coupla days briefly to see if anything else turns up to cover 1965's extraordinary studio sessions, right?

I'm happy others are happy, but the Chicago '65 thing just isn't doing it for me. Slightly flubbed live versions of what are really amazing tracks in the original studio versions. Nah. Not my thing (I didn't spring for Sacramento '64 either). But YMMV (and clearly does, from the number of happy downloaders already on this thread). Enjoy!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Eh, I guess I'm not going to complain about any "new" Beach Boys material being released from the vaults. If this is for copyright reasons, I doubt this gets released at the expense of something else. I see this release more as an historical document. Honestly, for a band of their longevity and popularity, they have released that much live material.

Excuse my relative ignorance, can someone fill me in on the significance of the 1965 Chicago shows and why they would need to release it for copyright purposes? I understand Sacramento 1964 was connected to Beach Boys Concert, but aside from larger compilations, this wasn't really previously released, correct?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »

It's being released as a way to extend the copyrights on the recordings in the EU, where recordings would go into the public domain after fifty years.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »

Well, in keeping with the beauty of copyright laws allowing for previously unheard riches to finally see release, the Chicago shows are a fine addition to the band's discography. Sure, they're rough around the edges and most likely would have needed extensive studio work to get them into a "live album" state. As released here, the shows are certainly energetic and the band is pretty tight for the second show. Brian sounds like he never really left the live band here. We can moan about the lack of a physical release, but the stuff is great to have in any format.

Alan or Mark will probably know; were these recorded to two-track?

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »

Is this coming out on CD or just online like the past years
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx