gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:47:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Demo: Wonder Wonder When  (Read 4011 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »

This morning I wrote most of--I had a bit of it already--and recorded this demo of a new song, "Wonder Wonder When." It's a girl-group thing, or is at least envisioned as such. This is piano, bass, tambourine, a couple acoustic guitars, and three vocal parts (each doubled). Hopefully it's sufficient to get across the idea, anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »

I like it. It reminds me of some Neil Sedaka demos where he's intending songs he's written to be recorded by women, so he doesn't change the gender.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

The lyric actually could go either way, but I just preferred the sound of "boyfriend" to "girlfriend." The rest of the song is pretty much ambiguous, gender-wise.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

Sounds Great.  Glad you are on SoundCloud now.  On "Wonder Wonder When" and one I was listening to last week ("The Better Part of Valor"), I hear lots of influences.  Ben Folds on these piano numbers.  Even early Todd.  Sondheim - then you referenced West Side Story in "Waste Not, Want" - so a fan, right?  Rundgren is a big Sondheim fan.  Your vocals also sound a bit like Folds.  Do you play all the instruments, or is Beau Mondes a band?  The steel is nice on the country track.  I got to head off to dinner, wait...one more starting up.  I like "Go Back To The House" too.  
I'll get back and listen to more.  peace, Will
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:00:28 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »

Sounds Great.  Glad you are on SoundCloud now.  On "Wonder Wonder When" and one I was listening to last week ("The Better Part of Valor"), I hear lots of influences.  Ben Folds on these piano numbers.  Even early Todd.  Sondheim - then you referenced West Side Story in "Waste Not, Want" - so a fan, right?  Rundgren is a big Sondheim fan.  Your vocals also sound a bit like Folds.  Do you play all the instruments, or is Beau Mondes a band?  The steel is nice on the country track.  I got to head off to dinner, wait...one more starting up.  I like "Go Back To The House" too.  
I'll get back and listen to more.  peace, Will

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of several of the people you referenced, but that's fine. (When I used to play out a lot that would happen constantly. Spoon? Cake? Ween? Nope, nope, nope...) I can see where plenty of things can come out even if I didn't intentionally put them in. In fact, I'd rather not have things be either intentionally written or heard as XYZ. I do like (but not love) Ben Folds--and ok, occasionally I love him. I like musicals in general.

Beau Mondes was going to be a real band until the keyboard player left the state. This is six or seven years ago now. From then on, I just recorded my own things with that name. There are other people playing in plenty of spots; other times, it's just me. Depends on who was around and interested or available at the time. Any good drumming you hear is by someone else: I think three different people are audible in the tracks I have on Soundcloud. At least two are. There are two other guys sometimes playing bass, though most of that is me. Good keyboards (e.g. solo in Go Back to the House) are someone else; I do the vast majority, though. All guitars and probably 95% of vocals are me (a few bg vox are shared). The pedal steel is not me, that's actually Bob Parins, now with Of Montreal, who was kind enough to do that. So, that's what you're hearing, in a nutshell.

Aaron Sunchymes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 12:15:47 AM »

Sounds great!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »

Another of my 18-month-old batch completed (whatever the word means in the context of a hobbyist). This is my "girl group" sort of song, "Wonder Wonder When." Another one with Zach doing drums. I arranged and recorded the track yesterday: tambourines, bass, synth bass, piano, synth flute-organ, acoustic guitar, two electric guitars in octaves ... I think that's it. Then this morning I did the vocals: doubled lead and two doubled harmony parts.

Hope you like it. (And if you don't, I hope it didn't ruin your day. I am not legally responsible if it did.)

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/wonder-wonder-when

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »

Nice work! Cool.       Got that 1960s girl group vibe down!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated.

orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »

Oh, some excellent chords here! I'm getting a Love You vibe (which I hope and assume you'll take as a compliment as intended!), particularly in the feel of the percussion, and the quite unique vocal arrangement. Really nice.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

Thank you. I appreciate that.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:31 AM »

I got more of a "Busy Doin' Nothing" vibe at times----must be the chord changes eight bars in, and the flutes. Cool song, lovely arrangement. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx