gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson's backing vocals on Tom Petty's Wildflowers  (Read 6139 times)
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:40:43 AM »

Tom Petty's Wildflowers (1994) is one of my all-time favorite albums. I'm a huge Tom Petty (& the Heartbreakers) fan. Reading the liner notes, I was surprised to see that Carl was credited on "Honey Bee", the most hard-rocking tune on the album. Over the years, Petty has often shown his admiration for Brian but I had totally forgotten that Carl was on Wildflowers...

Soon, there will be a whole new Tom Petty album called "Wildflowers : All the Rest", with a whole bunch of songs that were left out of the original album. I wonder if Carl will be credited on any of those "new" songs. After all, wouldn'it be ridiculous to get Carl in the studio for only one song? Anybody has any infos on that and / or about Carl's relationship with Tom Petty?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:43:02 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 06:05:19 AM »

Carl is often quite distinctive on tracks for which he sings backing vocals. While I haven't listened to "Honey Bee" in awhile, my recollection is that his backing vocals aren't very prominent, bordering on imperceptible. While that particular track isn't among my favorites, "Wildflowers" is a pretty strong album.

On the other hand, Carl adds backing vocals to "Hung Up and Overdue" from Petty's next album, the "She's the One" soundtrack, and Carl's backing vocals are very prominent on that one (and Ringo's on drums to boot).

Don't know a lot about Petty and Carl's friendship, other than they had one. Kind of weird they didn't have more music collaborations over all that time. Petty is obviously a fan of Carl and the BBs in general; as we all know, he wrote the liner notes for the "Holland" reissue in 2000.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

Yes, the "She's the One" soundtrack album was also made from unused songs from the Wildflowers sessions.
Hung Up and Overdue : Tom Petty + Ringo Starr + Carl Wilson!!! How cool is that?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:40:44 AM »

IIRC Tom wrote "Room at the top" about or for Carl. Maybe someone has the exact info.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »

Yes, the "She's the One" soundtrack album was also made from unused songs from the Wildflowers sessions.
Hung Up and Overdue : Tom Petty + Ringo Starr + Carl Wilson!!! How cool is that?

Wow, that's really cool.  I'll have to revisit that track.  Thanks for the info.  

Had Carl and George Harrison not died of the same affliction three years apart, might we have seen him and Petty and another version of The Traveling Wilburys?  I imagine Carl could've filled the void that was left after Orbison passed away.  Just thinking of a live version of Handle With Care with Carl singing Roy's part..........If only.....
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »

There were a lot of names tossed around in the press as possible replacements for Roy - Del Shannon, Carl Perkins, Roger McGuinn - but Carl would've loved being in that band, too. A bunch of superstars not taking themselves too seriously, just having fun making music together. I would have liked to have heard Carl sing "You Took My Breath Away" on the second album....oops, the third album, lol.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »

I always assumed the credits were wrong, I can't hear Carl on Honey Bee. Without going to check the booklet, I recall Carl being credited on another track. Great riff on Honey Bee!
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »

Great thread. I'm not the hugest Petty fan overall, but that stretch with Wildflowers/She's the One/Echo just hits me in the right way. Very melancholy vibes to each, and a very upfront sound; great headphone albums for me.

I do hear Carl in the "ooh" stack on Honey Bee, but it does not jump out at all, I have to listen with the knowledge that he's on it. Just listening to Hung Up and Overdue again, and here he similarly isn't incredibly prominent. Is he anywhere else on the song besides the outro? I'm on laptop speakers so my judgement may not be optimal...

And the thought of Carl in the Wilbury's is delightful. I actually don't like their output that much, I'm not a huge fan of the Jeff Lynne sound on certain things (actually I really dislike the sound and production of Full Moon Fever to be honest, despite some great songs).
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »

There were a lot of names tossed around in the press as possible replacements for Roy - Del Shannon, Carl Perkins, Roger McGuinn - but Carl would've loved being in that band, too. A bunch of superstars not taking themselves too seriously, just having fun making music together. I would have liked to have heard Carl sing "You Took My Breath Away" on the second album....oops, the third album, lol.

I don't think they (Dylan, Harrison, Petty and Lynne) were really interested in continuing with the Wilburys after the second (oops, third) album. It was in those years that Dylan began his "Neverending Tour", Petty had other projects with the Heartbreakers, Harrison toured in Japan... The great thing about the Wilburys is that they were five friends who got together and, by chance, made an album that lead to another one. But basically, it was just five friends having fun at home, making great music. There wasn't a plan and no executive was involved. But I think they didn't really want to go on after Roy Orbison passed away and seeking "a replacement" would have been in bad taste. I think in their minds, it would mean "to replace a friend" rather than "to replace a musician"... That being said, it would have been cool if some of them had gotten together again with other people like Carl Wilson, Del Shannon or Roger McGuinn. But under another name...
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »

I'm still wondering if Carl will appear on "Wildflowers : All the Rest". It was supposed to come out at the end of the year but it seems it's been delayed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »

I don't think they (Dylan, Harrison, Petty and Lynne) were really interested in continuing with the Wilburys after the second (oops, third) album. It was in those years that Dylan began his "Neverending Tour", Petty had other projects with the Heartbreakers, Harrison toured in Japan... The great thing about the Wilburys is that they were five friends who got together and, by chance, made an album that lead to another one. But basically, it was just five friends having fun at home, making great music. There wasn't a plan and no executive was involved. But I think they didn't really want to go on after Roy Orbison passed away and seeking "a replacement" would have been in bad taste. I think in their minds, it would mean "to replace a friend" rather than "to replace a musician"... That being said, it would have been cool if some of them had gotten together again with other people like Carl Wilson, Del Shannon or Roger McGuinn. But under another name...
What I remember reading back at the time was that they felt Roy could not be replaced, but they did want to make a second (or third) album. Bob made his contributions to Vol. 3 at roughly the same time he was doing Under the Red Sky, so they got his voice on everything they could; and then when continuing work on the album, couldn't bring themselves to wipe his voice off. So Bob had a lot of the leads on Vol. 3.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 03:37:53 AM »

Great thread. I'm not the hugest Petty fan overall, but that stretch with Wildflowers/She's the One/Echo just hits me in the right way. Very melancholy vibes to each, and a very upfront sound; great headphone albums for me.

I do hear Carl in the "ooh" stack on Honey Bee, but it does not jump out at all, I have to listen with the knowledge that he's on it. Just listening to Hung Up and Overdue again, and here he similarly isn't incredibly prominent. Is he anywhere else on the song besides the outro? I'm on laptop speakers so my judgement may not be optimal...

And the thought of Carl in the Wilbury's is delightful. I actually don't like their output that much, I'm not a huge fan of the Jeff Lynne sound on certain things (actually I really dislike the sound and production of Full Moon Fever to be honest, despite some great songs).

Carl doubles Tom in the chorus doesn't he?

"I'm overdue, for a dream come true" etc.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »

Carl doubles Tom in the chorus doesn't he?

"I'm overdue, for a dream come true" etc.

Especially prominent on the word overdue, yes. IMO. Kind of a David Crosby close harmony trip.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 04:44:18 AM »

IIRC Tom wrote "Room at the top" about or for Carl. Maybe someone has the exact info.

Not the exact info, perhaps, but I did find this:

"A Beach Boy influence. The result brought out a new heaviness in Petty’s voice, epecially in the opening track, 'Room at the Top.' The artist says he was trying to ape the plaintive singing style of his friend Carl Wilson (of the Beach Boys), who had just died. 'It was my hopeless attempt to sound like Carl,' Petty explains."

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/tom-petty-personal-rocker-emerges-post-divorce-funk-hard-rocking-first-person-album-article-1.828436

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 06:57:02 AM »

If I recall correctly (& maybe I don't), Del Shannon was actually named as Roy Orbison's official replacement in the Wilbury's & even rehearsed a few tracks with some (probably sans Dylan) of them in the studio.  Shannon's suicide also becoming the death of the Wilburys.  Jeff Lynne was also producing solo tracks for Shannon. The solo album was then released posthumously.

But the notion of Carl being a Wilbury is certainly a fun one.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 01:18:25 PM »

I remember a feud between Tom Petty and Del Shannon in 1981 or 1982 when Tom "stole" bass player Howie Epstein from Del Shannon's own band to replace Ron Blair in the Heartbreakers. But they became friends again years later...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:02:03 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »

If I recall correctly (& maybe I don't), Del Shannon was actually named as Roy Orbison's official replacement in the Wilbury's & even rehearsed a few tracks with some (probably sans Dylan) of them in the studio.  Shannon's suicide also becoming the death of the Wilburys.  Jeff Lynne was also producing solo tracks for Shannon. The solo album was then released posthumously.

While Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty worked with Shannon during that time frame, Shannon was never named a Wilbury. It was just another name doing the rounds among fans, like Carl Perkins. I think Shannon was too temperamental for the gig. Lynne mentioned that Shannon was "always pissed off", but obviously idolized him and loved working with him anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:11 PM »

If I recall correctly (& maybe I don't), Del Shannon was actually named as Roy Orbison's official replacement in the Wilbury's & even rehearsed a few tracks with some (probably sans Dylan) of them in the studio.  Shannon's suicide also becoming the death of the Wilburys.  Jeff Lynne was also producing solo tracks for Shannon. The solo album was then released posthumously.

While Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty worked with Shannon during that time frame, Shannon was never named a Wilbury. It was just another name doing the rounds among fans, like Carl Perkins. I think Shannon was too temperamental for the gig. Lynne mentioned that Shannon was "always pissed off", but obviously idolized him and loved working with him anyway.
Del's final album has Lynne's sound all over it, but no, he was never seriously considered as a replacement for Roy - no one was.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »

The one man who's never mentioned when talking about the Traveling Wilburys is unofficial "Wilbury n°6", drummer Jim Keltner who played on both albums.
KDS
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 06:39:16 AM »

The one man who's never mentioned when talking about the Traveling Wilburys is unofficial "Wilbury n°6", drummer Jim Keltner who played on both albums.

I'd like to see Jim Keltner's Xmas card list.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »

Yeah, great drummer who's played with everybody. He's also in the Concert For Bangladesh - I guess that was the prequel to the Wilburys, with George and Bob both being there.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx