-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Stargazers of SmileySmile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stargazers of SmileySmile  (Read 11333 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »

Thought I would add some of the posts from the Love and Mercy thread to start this new thread out:

Nothing beats seeing the Milky Way around Sagitarius and Scorpio in the Australian desert though. So far. Smiley

This picture was taken and send to me by a friendly fellow traveler this year.

Need to jump in!

I Have not been out very much for years but have been an avid stargazer as well since childhood. Great idea to bring this topic to the sandbox...something else besides the Boys to check into with our online friends. Rab...good to see you are still here.

Anyone remember the big dud Halley in 1986? Went to Texas for that....fun trip but that had to be the biggest disappointment relating to astronomy in my lifetime. But then we got Hale -Bopp so it's all good.

Hale-Bopp was brilliant! I remember watching that nightly. Now that I have a telescope setup it'll be wonderful to capture the deep space comets through that.

Here's my first attempt at astrophotography. Nothing spectacular, and I have a lot to learn yet. I have a Canon SLR attached to a Celestron 9" telescope.

Now that the Orion nebula is out nightly, I'll be getting some long exposure shots of that in the weeks to come.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »

Thanks Rab and all contributors.  I have to say that I haven't set up my camera with my (inadequate) telescope, so I won't be the source of many photos other than links.

As to a question I was asked:  yes, Brian was not only fascinated by astronomy and astrology, but seemed to be a "natural" at comprehending both, somewhat like his music, where clearly he's a total master.  Oddly, after studying for years in the mythology/astrology realm (which includes astronomy and history for anyone who's real), I discussed an astrology chart again with Brian after about 15 years, and he remembered specifics only an astrologer would (actually, it was a comparison between his and Carl's birth charts)...I think it's safe to say, whatever Brian has tapped into, it's a special place that the "intelligence of the Universe" smiles upon.

When people would compare Brian to Mozart, I once said - nah, Pythagoras - the guy who invented the musical scale and understood the workings of the universe as well as anyone in his time.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »

Thanks Rab and all contributors.  I have to say that I haven't set up my camera with my (inadequate) telescope, so I won't be the source of many photos other than links.

As to a question I was asked:  yes, Brian was not only fascinated by astronomy and astrology, but seemed to be a "natural" at comprehending both, somewhat like his music, where clearly he's a total master.  Oddly, after studying for years in the mythology/astrology realm (which includes astronomy and history for anyone who's real), I discussed an astrology chart again with Brian after about 15 years, and he remembered specifics only an astrologer would (actually, it was a comparison between his and Carl's birth charts)...I think it's safe to say, whatever Brian has tapped into, it's a special place that the "intelligence of the Universe" smiles upon.

When people would compare Brian to Mozart, I once said - nah, Pythagoras - the guy who invented the musical scale and understood the workings of the universe as well as anyone in his time.

One of the coolest things I've ever read on this forum. Thanks so much for sharing!!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:15 AM »

Child is the father of the man! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »

Thanks Rab and all contributors.  I have to say that I haven't set up my camera with my (inadequate) telescope, so I won't be the source of many photos other than links.

As to a question I was asked:  yes, Brian was not only fascinated by astronomy and astrology, but seemed to be a "natural" at comprehending both, somewhat like his music, where clearly he's a total master.  Oddly, after studying for years in the mythology/astrology realm (which includes astronomy and history for anyone who's real), I discussed an astrology chart again with Brian after about 15 years, and he remembered specifics only an astrologer would (actually, it was a comparison between his and Carl's birth charts)...I think it's safe to say, whatever Brian has tapped into, it's a special place that the "intelligence of the Universe" smiles upon.

One of the coolest things I've ever read on this forum. Thanks so much for sharing!!
+1
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »

Thanks Rab. SB and Emily.  It was cool to experience, too!  The guy is amazing.  The most fascinating person I ever met, and I've been pretty lucky getting to know great people.  The most perceptive person, too - which is clearly a blessing and a curse - given that you're dealing with humanity...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:34:12 AM »

I've seen Halley only as a cloudy spot through binoculars back in 1986. Hale Bopp was spectacular. I even did see the 1999 total eclipse of the sun in southern Germany.

I have a very small camera with astonishing abilities. It's a Nikon S7000. This picture was taken without a tripod, just leaning to a lamppost, holding the camera in my hand:

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:42 AM »

I kind of suck in that I've never paid any attention to astronomy, other than to identify the big dipper and orion's belt.
You guys are inspiring me though with these beautiful photographs. Maybe I need to pay more attention!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »

Orion-I remember my Mom and Dad showing him to me in the early 50's and being the first constellation I became familiar with. Still look at in every winter. Some believe that BETELGEUSE has exploded but the light of that explosion has not yet reach Earth, so what we're seeing is long gone.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »

astronomy has been my favorite hobby since I was 6 yrs old (1959).
have an 18 inch dobsonian telescope. man, you haven't seen anything until you view nebulae/galaxies thru that light bucket!   Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:35:35 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »

Micha that's a great picture! I love that Tycho always stands out prominently.

@Emily: even just going out on a clear night during the very early morning hours can be so rewarding. Random meteors streaking across the sky. The haze of the Andromeda Galaxy can be seen with the naked eye as well. So much to see!

@OSD: I've definitely heard about that. The supernova from Betelgeuse will be so bright that it'll be able to be seen during the day here on earth, and will last for a few weeks. Anyone who has the means to aim their telescope safely at it will see quite a show!

@Steve: WOW!!!! Could you possibly upload some pictures from that? I'm super jealous.

I'm going out tonight to take some pictures of the moon, looks gorgeous right now. I also have a solar filter for my telescope, I'll upload some pictures of the sun (with sunspots) one of these days as well.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »

@Emily: even just going out on a clear night during the very early morning hours can be so rewarding. Random meteors streaking across the sky. The haze of the Andromeda Galaxy can be seen with the naked eye as well. So much to see!

My mom lives out in the desert in Arizona and when I visit her I spend a lot of time star-gazing. I just don't know what I'm looking at.
I grew up 1/2 outside New York and 1/2 in Boston and you just can't see as much going on in the sky in those places, with the naked eye anyway. Too much light on the ground.
I was amazed my first visit to AZ. I didn't know there was so much up there!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

get the book "Find the Constellations" by h.a. rey, the same guy who wrote "Curious George" books. he draws out the constellations to look like their names, not like all the books that put a picture over the stars. very easy after reading the book to know what you are looking at.
or his book "The Stars: A New Way To Look At Them". it is an updated/more complete version of the previous book. recommend them highly.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:57:41 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »

Steve...It's so great to have an expert here.  Thanks for sharing.

I have a wonderful program called "Starlight" that allows me to see what the sky (generally) would look like from any given place on the planet, and I can right click on any constellation or star and get the technical data and mythology, which makes the whole sky-viewing experience a bit more magical and fun.  I also have TheSkyX which is another wonderful one. 

I'm just not rich enough for the telescope I want.  Obviously, I covet yours.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »

if one only wants to look at what is out there, dobsonian telescopes are the way to go. you get a larger primary mirror with them than with any other kind of telescope for the same amount of money. easy and quick to set up. downside is they don't have an equatorial mount so they can't track the stars like the other kinds of telescopes so one can't take time-lapse photos with them. but for viewing only you can't beat 'em.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

get the book "Find the Constellations" by h.a. rey, the same guy who wrote "Curious George" books. he draws out the constellations to look like their names, not like all the books that put a picture over the stars. very easy after reading the book to know what you are looking at.
or his book "The Stars: A New Way To Look At Them". it is an updated/more complete version of the previous book. recommend them highly.
Thanks. I'll be heading out to Arizona this winter. I'll bring that with me and learn something!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 07:24:46 PM »

hope you enjoy the experience. take the books outside with you and use a flashlight to compare the sky with the pages in the book. be sure to use red light and not regular white light. red light will not interfere with your eyes and night vision. you can buy flashlights with red filters at astronomy sites online.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »

Took this just a few minutes ago. iPhone camera hovered over my lens haha.

If anyone here has an iphone and is looking for a good stargazing app, the app 'Sky Guide' is perfect - lets you know of any ongoing meteor showers, you can point it to anywhere in the sky and it'll tell you what stars you're aiming at. Even lets you know what satellites are passing over. And it's super easy to use.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »

hope you enjoy the experience. take the books outside with you and use a flashlight to compare the sky with the pages in the book. be sure to use red light and not regular white light. red light will not interfere with your eyes and night vision. you can buy flashlights with red filters at astronomy sites online.
I would never have guessed that about the light. My daughter's 9 and will probably think it's really cool too. This will be a great activity. Thank you!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 05:34:55 AM »

Great topic, although I tend to feel overwhelmed by the universe. Gotta love Debbie's post.

I have this link over at my other forum which like an idiot I hardly ever look at but when I do it's never less than spectacular:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 06:02:24 AM »

I have this link over at my other forum which like an idiot I hardly ever look at but when I do it's never less than spectacular:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

This is great thanksgiving morning viewing! thanks for the good link. Booamarked.

I love the nearly overwhelmed feelings triggered within me by these pictures. I don't understand a lick of 'em but they make me happy
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »

Took this just a few minutes ago. iPhone camera hovered over my lens haha.

If anyone here has an iphone and is looking for a good stargazing app, the app 'Sky Guide' is perfect - lets you know of any ongoing meteor showers, you can point it to anywhere in the sky and it'll tell you what stars you're aiming at. Even lets you know what satellites are passing over. And it's super easy to use.

Beautiful picture but it reminds me of one of the funniest moments in baseball broadcasting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kKFjkBtcg8
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 07:53:47 AM »

YES! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:02 AM »

In August I took a picture of the train station in Fremantle WA with Venus and Jupiter visible in the sky. They were visible in the photo too! I was very proud of that photo until the other day I started to doubt whether that really was Jupiter. I checked on the fabulous "Heavens above" website where the planets were that evening. I found it really was Venus and Jupiter, but next to Jupiter was also Mercury, which I failed to recognise at the time - and in the photo it's hidden behind the train station!!! If I had checked before traveling, I could have had three planets on the same photo! Cry Well, technically, there are three in the photo, if you count Earth, but then it would have been FOUR!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »

I forgot to mention, the particular site that has excellent, quick daily articles on astronomy in particular and science in general.  http://earthsky.org/

It gives great naked-eye star-gazing techniques for those learning the sky in addition to more technical articles.

There is also a very fine organization looking to protect dark skies where we have them and encourage less light-pollution where it's a problem.  I love their articles as well:  http://darksky.org/
When we start looking into what light pollution is doing to all animals (like endangered sea turtles whose newborns normally guided by the night sky die mistaking light pollution for the direction they need to follow), and those animals include us, psychologically.

If you happen to also enjoy archaeology, this organization in on the cutting edge of archaeo-astronomy.  http://www.archeoastronomy.org/content/who-we-are/
I was lucky enough to attend the 2015 conference in Malta, and it was absolutely fascinating.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: