-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Stargazers of SmileySmile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stargazers of SmileySmile  (Read 11336 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »

One of the guests at the Thanksgiving table yesterday is an archaeologist working on a Neanderthal site. Fascinating stuff!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 04:17:56 PM »

One of the guests at the Thanksgiving table yesterday is an archaeologist working on a Neanderthal site. Fascinating stuff!

I'll bet, Emily!  Archaeologists are now finally accepting Archaeo-astronomers to various degrees.  It was quite a battle, apparently that hasn't exactly ended.  Certain very defensive scientists protecting their turf often look like the obsessive fans and collectors on SS. Logic doesn't always prevail.  One thing we have a pretty good idea about from Neanderthal times is what the sky looked like then, and it's become quite obvious that as hunter-gatherers, they learned to look at the skies for timing the seasons, the related running of the herds of animals, etc.  It was quite a handy tool and there on every clear night. It doesn't take long to build calendars as such.  I saw the Ice Age Art exhibit at the British Museum in April 2013, and the sky-related objects were profound.  It was one of the most moving experiences of my life...seriously.  The beauty and brilliance of our ancient ancestors is a stunning thing to see.  I'll bet your archaeologist friend enjoys the same.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »

I'll bet, Emily!  Archaeologists are now finally accepting Archaeo-astronomers to various degrees.  It was quite a battle, apparently that hasn't exactly ended.  Certain very defensive scientists protecting their turf often look like the obsessive fans and collectors on SS. Logic doesn't always prevail.  One thing we have a pretty good idea about from Neanderthal times is what the sky looked like then, and it's become quite obvious that as hunter-gatherers, they learned to look at the skies for timing the seasons, the related running of the herds of animals, etc.  It was quite a handy tool and there on every clear night. It doesn't take long to build calendars as such.  I saw the Ice Age Art exhibit at the British Museum in April 2013, and the sky-related objects were profound.  It was one of the most moving experiences of my life...seriously.  The beauty and brilliance of our ancient ancestors is a stunning thing to see.  I'll bet your archaeologist friend enjoys the same.
You know, he didn't go into it, but he mentioned astronomy as one of the areas in which there's evidence that they were much more sophisticated than previously thought.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »

You know, he didn't go into it, but he mentioned astronomy as one of the areas in which there's evidence that they were much more sophisticated than previously thought.

That's great to hear.  Anyone looking at the ceiling of Lascaux cave (and other ancient sites) who knows astronomy basics would recognize Taurus the Bull and the belt of Orion painted in their correct locations there. It's exciting stuff.  A way our really ancient ancestors can speak to us.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 09:35:59 PM »

Not going back as far as the Neanderthal people, onla back to 1600BC, but still interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:00:34 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »

Mot going back as far as the Neanderthal people, onla back to 1600BC, but still interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk

Thanks Micha - Yes, love the Nebra Sky Disc as well...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »

Thanks to the excellent "Heavens Above" website, I was just able to spot Uranus in Pisces with field glasses, for the second time in my life. The field glasses aren't strong enough to spot Neptune though. I tried that once, he's not bright enough.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 01:59:21 AM »

342843 Davidbowie (2008 YN3)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 07:03:14 AM »

I was enjoying this thread. Please don't drop it, astronomy enthusiasts!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 10:58:46 AM »

Perhaps you should ask them a question, Emily. I'm sure that would get the topic up and running again. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »

Perhaps you should ask them a question, Emily. I'm sure that would get the topic up and running again. :=)
I'll try to think of one, but I'm at a point where I'm so ignorant I can't even form an intelligent question. I just really liked looking at the images and reading the posts hoping I'd absorb something interesting about an unknown subject.

Oh! Here's a very basic question - I'll be out in the desert in Arizona in early August. You can see so very much in the night sky there. Does anyone have any tips on what I should look out for in early March, 2016 in the sky over Arizona?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »

Here's a very basic question - I'll be out in the desert in Arizona in early August. You can see so very much in the night sky there. Does anyone have any tips on what I should look out for in early March, 2016 in the sky over Arizona?

Until the experts weigh in, check out this calendar for August. (You do mean August, do you?) There are some meteor showers in the first week or so:

https://in-the-sky.org/newscal.php?month=8&year=2016&maxdiff=7#caltop

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »

Here's a very basic question - I'll be out in the desert in Arizona in early August. You can see so very much in the night sky there. Does anyone have any tips on what I should look out for in early March, 2016 in the sky over Arizona?

Until the experts weigh in, check out this calendar for August. (You do mean August, do you?) There are some meteor showers in the first week or so:

https://in-the-sky.org/newscal.php?month=8&year=2016&maxdiff=7#caltop

I must have gone crazy for a moment. I meant April! Sorry! But thanks for that source. I'll be able to find April.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:27:37 PM by Emily » Logged
csparks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »

Thanks to the excellent "Heavens Above" website, I was just able to spot Uranus in Pisces with field glasses, for the second time in my life. The field glasses aren't strong enough to spot Neptune though. I tried that once, he's not bright enough.

I love that site, too. Do you watch satellites?

For those unfamiliar, Heavens Above will give you a list of all the satellites, their path over your location, with precise times. You have to obtain your GPS from Google Earth or similar, and enter it into your profile.

We live out in the sticks, and can see satellites cruising by all the time. Very thankful to be away from the city lights. (and everything else to do with cities.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: