gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:24:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ray Davies and Carl Wilson  (Read 8321 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »

Looking through Ray Davies entertaining book Americana-I noticed that he included his 1977 diary in the book and he mentions that he went to Carl Wilson's house on the night of February 21 1977 and stayed till very late.  I wonder if they were friends or if it was just a one-time thing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:37 AM »

I don't know, but Dave Davies spoke quite highly of the Beach Boys' music in his autobiography (published in '95 or so). I think it's obvious both Davies brothers are fans! And - the Kinks opened some shows for the Boys in '72, as you (Ian) obviously know!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:30:49 AM by c-man » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:42:17 AM »

It seems possible that Carl could have met Ray when he was producing Turtle Soup in 1969.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »

In Ray's book he describes the first time he met the Beach Boys. It was at the Hollywood Bowl, July 2/3 1965 when they were on the bill for the KFWB Summer Spectacular at the Bowl, with the Boys headlining. He and Dave were "genuine fans" of the Beach Boys' records, but the Brothers Davies got the cold shoulder from the Beach Boys backstage. Ray writes that Mike Love came up to him like he was going to say hello, made a gesture, but walked right past him. He said Dave tried to talk to another (unnamed) Beach Boy and also got the brush-off, which disappointed them both since they were fans.

According to Ray, he thought it was either part of the anti-British backlash he was getting in the US during that visit, or nerves from the Beach Boys, but whatever it was, it was a disappointment for the Davies brothers to be cold-shouldered.

Side note: Recently there were posts about silent 8mm film of the Beach Boys at the Bowl playing this show being sold at an auction. There is film from the same source of the Kinks at the Bowl, same show, July 3rd 65. These films were copied in bulk and sold out of teen magazines in the 60's. Whoever has a copy, it's not as rare as it was something that fans could order through those magazine ads and get a dubbed copy on 8mm.

Side note 2: Brian Wilson played at the Bowl for that July 3 show, as we know. But the next "Summer Spectacular" night in San Francisco, Cow Palace 7/4/65, turned into a debacle. Something like 1/5 of the capacity tickets had been sold, so it was less than 4,000 people in a 15,000 seat venue. In Kinks' lore, this is the show where depending on who goes on the record Ray was battling the promoters over the band's upfront cash payment (which the promoter couldn't deliver) versus getting a check instead, and the band was not allowed to perform. Or they refused...again, whatever the sources may say.

But they took the stage, and again depending on who tells the story, either gave a friendly wave and said they wanted to play but weren't allowed to before the soundman cut off their microphone, or they came out and flipped off the audience before the PA was cut. Either way they didn't perform. And they also lost their manager during all this as well, he walked away from the band.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »

Fascinating...I'm a Kinks fan, and it is certainly logical that members of the two bands would meet.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »

Fascinating...I'm a Kinks fan, and it is certainly logical that members of the two bands would meet.

Glad to hear you're a Kinks fan, Peter - coincidentally, I just heard "Life Goes On", the closing cut from Sleepwalker, on Sirrius XM's Deep Tracks during my drive in to work yesterday. It was very much like running into an old friend. I know the late '70s wasn't perhaps their most creative of times, but what they were doing then was so much better than most bands, including many of their contemporaries, and those albums hold a soft spot in MY heart, as that's the era when I first really got into The Kinks, shortly before discovering the older and deeper pleasures of Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur. God Save The Kinks!  Smiley
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »

Is there a recommended multi-disc anthology of the Kinks?
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »

the 2-disc The Kink Kronikles is still the best.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »

Agreed - it covers the '60s and through 1970 quite nicely, with a few previously unreleased tracks thrown in. Maybe add Celluoid Heroes for an overview of the early-mid '70s, and top it off with Come Dancing With The Kinks for a taste of the late '70s/early '80s.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »

Agreed - it covers the '60s and through 1970 quite nicely, with a few previously unreleased tracks thrown in. Maybe add Celluoid Heroes for an overview of the early-mid '70s, and top it off with Come Dancing With The Kinks for a taste of the late '70s/early '80s.

I guess you would still need something with the early hits ('64-'66), but such compilations are easy to find, as they are ubiquitous.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »

Glad to hear you're a Kinks fan, Peter - coincidentally, I just heard "Life Goes On", the closing cut from Sleepwalker, on Sirrius XM's Deep Tracks during my drive in to work yesterday. It was very much like running into an old friend. I know the late '70s wasn't perhaps their most creative of times, but what they were doing then was so much better than most bands, including many of their contemporaries, and those albums hold a soft spot in MY heart, as that's the era when I first really got into The Kinks, shortly before discovering the older and deeper pleasures of Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur. God Save The Kinks!  Smiley
This is also the era when I became a fan. Saw the Beach Boys and Kinks play at Memorial Stadium, Seattle, July 1978. The Beach Boys' best work was already behind them; the Kinks Arista era is some of my favorite work of theirs, especially State of Confusion and Word of Mouth.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »

Of they definitely met, more than once. There's a great Ray Davies/Dennis Wilson story in The Beach Boys In Concert book (pg. 169) with first-hand quotes courtesy of Ed Roach. While the Beach Boys and Kinks shared a bill in 1972 Dennis and Ray apparently had quite a violent fight over a certain girl, it seems Dennis took a beating... but also took the girl.
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »

It might be more than what you're looking for, but you can't really go wrong with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-1964-1971-Box-Set/dp/B00NJADEJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448150067&sr=8-1&keywords=kinks+box+set
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »

Of they definitely met, more than once. There's a great Ray Davies/Dennis Wilson story in The Beach Boys In Concert book (pg. 169) with first-hand quotes courtesy of Ed Roach. While the Beach Boys and Kinks shared a bill in 1972 Dennis and Ray apparently had quite a violent fight over a certain girl, it seems Dennis took a beating... but also took the girl.
Oh, I don't doubt Dennis got the girl! Ray never struck me as much of a girl chaser - Dave seemed more the partier of the two. Dave's autobio is very open - he never met a girl he didn't want to sleep with, never saw a drug that wasn't worth trying.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »

I recently bought the American book but I think I haven't otter to the Carl reference yet.......What page?

also, since we have slipped a kinks thread in here, I have to recommend to all Ray's exceptional solo CD O ther People's Lives.    I never tire of it.    classic Ray and a top notch album.   
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »

It might be more than what you're looking for, but you can't really go wrong with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-1964-1971-Box-Set/dp/B00NJADEJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448150067&sr=8-1&keywords=kinks+box+set

I second this.  The best anthology of the Pye years which was their peak IMO.  Every essential track, lots of new and rare vintage mixes, a smattering of BBC tracks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »

Looking through Ray Davies entertaining book Americana-I noticed that he included his 1977 diary in the book and he mentions that he went to Carl Wilson's house on the night of February 21 1977 and stayed till very late.  I wonder if they were friends or if it was just a one-time thing.
One-off or friends - it's cool either way! I mean, Ray could meet somebody else in show business, not Carl. That gives some food for thought, doesn't it? Regarding what GF said, I could never describe the Beach Boys rather than, say, Rolling Stones to be arrogant. I think they were rushing/ nervous inside. For young lads it was a big-scale show.
There was discussion of Dave & Dennis' similarities but nothing about Davies brothers being fans. How cool is that? 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 03:47:36 AM »

Given that it excludes any track released before June 1966, this may be the most wildly inaccurate statement ever posted on this board.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 07:08:33 PM »

So many Kinks/BBs parallels.  Siblings in the band (sensitive brilliant leader older brother -- Dave maybe combines aspects of Carl and Dennis).  Similar artistic/commercial success arcs.  Initial hits followed by ignored masterpieces later embraced.  70s touring resurgence -- seeing them or the Boys early to mid decade was as good as it gets. Followed by commercial resurgence,  And Brian and Ray have the same middle name!  One difference -- Ray is one of the great front men while Brian...bless him!

Kronikles is wonderful of course.  Face to Face through Lola vs contain amazing brilliance.  Village Green probably deservedly the "masterpiece" but I listen to Arthur and Lola vs just as much.  Muswell Hillbillies through Misfits and then again into the 80s every LP had gems.  Personal fave -- Schoolboys in Disgrace.  Very overlooked.

There are Beach Boys touches in a number of Kinks songs -- Don't Forget to Dance comes to mind.  The most overt -- Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3beK367tA

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:06:47 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »

Yesterday at lunch, I had Sirrius' Deep Tracks on again - and right after Ray Davies' "Thanksgiving Day", they played "Heroes And Villains" (original mono mix). Can't be that!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 11:50:46 PM »

So many Kinks/BBs parallels.  Siblings in the band (sensitive brilliant leader older brother -- Dave maybe combines aspects of Carl and Dennis).  Similar artistic/commercial success arcs.  Initial hits followed by ignored masterpieces later embraced.  70s touring resurgence -- seeing them or the Boys early to mid decade was as good as it gets. Followed by commercial resurgenne,  And Brian and Ray have the same middle name!  One difference -- Ray is one of the great front men while Brian...bless him!

Kronikles is wonderful of course.  Face to Face through Lola vs contain amazing brilliance.  Village Green probably deservedly the "masterpiece" but I listen to Arthur and Lola vs just as much.  Muswell Hillbillies through Misfits and then again into the 80s every LP had gems.  Personal fave -- Schoolboys in Disgrace.  Very overlooked.

There are Beach Boys touches in a number of Kinks songs -- Don't Forget to Dance comes to mind.  The most overt -- Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3beK367tA

It does seem that, these days, the hard core fans of both groups prefer those 1966-early 70's albums, the years when both groups were at low ebb commercially; the very early years are remembered primarily for the hit singles. I think the Kinks aged better as a band, though - they continued to release strong new material all through the 80's, while the Beach Boys could only come up with 2 studio albums for the whole decade. Interesting, too, that Dave D and Carl both went the solo route at rougly the same time, 1980-83, although Dave never did a solo tour to back up his 3 albums of the era. And the one Ray 'solo' effort in the 80's, Return to Waterloo,  became one only because Dave didn't want to play on it.
KDS
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »

Ultimate Kinks is a really good collection too. 

46 tracks over two discs.  My only gripe is somehow Destroyer got left off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Collection_(The_Kinks_album)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

It's on there, but for some reason they've titled it All Day and All of the Night.  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »

It's on there, but for some reason they've titled it All Day and All of the Night.  Wink

HA  Smiley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »

I've never found that one comp that does it all for me regarding the Kinks; on vinyl, my choices would be The Kinks Greatest Hits (Reprise, 1966), the Kink Kronikles, The Kinks Greatest Celluloid Heroes, and Come Dancing with the Kinks.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx