gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:25:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys America's Band review  (Read 2104 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »

Had some time this weekend, and read The Beach Boys America's Band written by Johnny Morgan. My review of this book may be found at my Reuminations blog. The address is   http://peternreum.blogspot.com  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:07:15 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »

My library system got this book for some reason.  Your article doesn't give me much to look forward to, when I get my turn with it.  They got Jim's book too.  That sounds fascinating.  I will look into adding both to my collection when I can fit them in the budget.  May be worth it just for the photos in the case of Morgan's book.  I didn't know it was coffee-table size.  That's what made me buy the Silver Anniversary book by John Milward.  Hope they get Carl's book at the library, as that's the only way I'll ever read it.  Carl's book isn't even stocked in my local book stores.

Thanks for the article, Peter.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »

My library system got this book for some reason.  Your article doesn't give me much to look forward to, when I get my turn with it.  They got Jim's book too.  That sounds fascinating.  I will look into adding both to my collection when I can fit them in the budget.  May be worth it just for the photos in the case of Morgan's book.  I didn't know it was coffee-table size.  That's what made me buy the Silver Anniversary book by John Milward.  Hope they get Carl's book at the library, as that's the only way I'll ever read it.  Carl's book isn't even stocked in my local book stores.

Thanks for the article, Peter.
sorry for following an off topic tangent - but assuming by Jim you mean Murphy, that book is fantastic; don't miss it.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »

Peter, I read your review, thank you.
Regarding the images in the book, are there pictures you'd never seen or that are unlikely to be on the photo threads in this forum or that active fan who has looked at most readily available pictures would find new and revelatory?

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »

Yes Emily, Mr. Murphy's book.  Very much looking forward to reading it.  I'm next in line at the library!  It got so many good reviews I almost bought it when it first came out...But it's not cheap.  Couldn't find any kind of discount either.  I've been buying a lot of big Cd sets since October, and trying to finish my Christmas gifts.  Gets tough when almost everything I want is over $50.  The next thing for me is the Party! set.  I almost pulled the trigger at $15, then the morning after release it was up to $20.  I'll wait.  Sure to go back down soon.   -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »

Oh that's an incredible book! So much information. A little slow for me at first but eventually became a book I couldn't put down.
Lots of pictures which I haven't seen before, plus an appendix with some interesting extra info.
I had downloaded the book as it was cheaper but plan to use it for reference so will eventually get a hard copy.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 01:32:50 AM »

Jim's book is, simply, essential.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »

Yes, Emily I was referring to Jim Murphy's book. The answer to your second question about seeing new material in the Morgan book, I would have to say no.But years ago, I had a few chances to look at every image of nearly every photographer who ever took pictures of The Beach Boys., so, I am a little jaded.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »

As I pointed out i another thread, Morgan seems to be mistaken about key points of Beach Boys history. One is that Brian was still with Landy as late as 1979, but was evading his handlers to score drugs. We know Landy was let go in late '76 and didn't come back until late '82. Also, there's a picture of the Beach Boys in the Netherlands with Bruce Johnston dated 1974, when we know Bruce left in '72 (except for guesting on some recordings) and came back in around 1978-79. That is, unless Bruce guested with the guys in '74 in the Netherlands, which I find unlikely. Those kinds of inaccuracies are deal-breakers for me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »

Given that the band didn't play anywhere outside of North America in 1974...   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx