gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's band  (Read 105184 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: December 06, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »

It's not about the article, it's about setting parameters for decent debate.

Absolutely this. And really...just make a decision. I cant speak for everyone but personally Im getting sick of this hands off approach and then when people express legitimate grievances this "well, what would you have me do?"/"should I just ban everyone then?"/"you want me to police opinions?"/"is that the kinda board you want?" throwing the decision on us in a rhetorical fashion. With all due respect, YOU are the mod. Its your responsibility to do what you think is best, whatever that may be, but as Smilin Ed says, preferably in a way that helps a good, healthy debate flourish. But seriously, make SOME kinda decision, instead of constantly deflecting back on us. I feel like thats what makes the whole situation so frustrating. Sometimes youve got to do whats best for the mission, even if it means giving your friend the hard news. Example: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi966984473

I don't know if that is directed to GF, me, or both, but here's how I feel. Take it how you wish.

When I asked Ed above what he felt the best solution was as far as what constitutes a healthy debate it was a legit question. I'm just trying to get everyone on the same page again. I want us to move past this, and get back to what the board is supposed to be in the first place. That's all I want.

Family's waiting on me, and I'm still sitting on the couch with my laptop. I'll be responding to later posts with my phone, reception permitting. Please forgive any typos for the next few hours.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 06, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

It's not about the article, it's about setting parameters for decent debate.

Absolutely this. And really...just make a decision. I cant speak for everyone but personally Im getting sick of this hands off approach and then when people express legitimate grievances this "well, what would you have me do?"/"should I just ban everyone then?"/"you want me to police opinions?"/"is that the kinda board you want?" throwing the decision on us in a rhetorical fashion. With all due respect, YOU are the mod. Its your responsibility to do what you think is best, whatever that may be, but as Smilin Ed says, preferably in a way that helps a good, healthy debate flourish. But seriously, make SOME kinda decision, instead of constantly deflecting back on us. I feel like thats what makes the whole situation so frustrating. Sometimes youve got to do whats best for the mission, even if it means giving your friend the hard news. Example: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi966984473

In all fairness, any topic that puts the words 'whore' and 'Beach Boys' together is going to cause a shitstorm. However, the original thread topic is somewhat of a red herring as to this whole debate. People have been openly questioning the actions of OSD and SmileBrian for some time now and this just happened to be the thread where people finally had enough and everything boiled over.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 06, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »

Instead of all the bellyaching, why don't all the mods get together, create a new set of rules or rehash/refresh the old ones with a clear system of warnings - a new baseline, if you like - and go from there. Start off by closing this, because it's going around in circles and the whining isn't befitting anyone with intelligence and, as I said, it's feeding the parasites.
I agree with this. For those that want OSD banned, please consider that you didn't choose your battle well. I know that if you feel that action must be taken, it's really frustrating for people to keep saying you should back off. But this incident started with OSD stating a very controversial, but on-topic and not personally insulting, opinion; then he received a few personal insults from people who were evidently already frustrated with him; then there was a mounting call for banning; then all-out warfare.
The way it developed left no room for anything good to happen. The moderators can't reasonably act on a complaint based on a post that didn't violate any rule. Had the complaints been made after OSD had done something actionable, then the moderators could reasonably have looked at that, and built an argument based on comparable historical posts that action should be taken. But where the issue was raised, and how it was raised (with personal insults) left the moderators with weak ground for action against OSD and some ground for action against other posters. In that situation, the wisest thing for a moderator to do would be to have a behind-the-scenes talk with OSD and with posters who got personal and that should be the end of it until a clearer situation arises.
As we are now, so many people have laid such strong stakes and gotten so angry that if anyone is banned, there will be people who will be outraged and who will feel marginalized and silenced and the war will continue. So I think the only way to settle things is to follow the advice of Smilin Ed H.
Please, can we call it a draw, use the ignore script as needed, and make a sincere effort to move past this? Then, the mods can have a chance to post new rules (and hopefully guidelines for how to respond to offenses) and if someone breaks them in the future, raise it properly and clearly and hopefully it can be addressed with less furor.
_________
Also:

It was said above that it's unanimous that OSD and SB be banned. I for one, do not want them banned. And it's clear from reading the posts that several others don't either. It's not unanimous. For one thing, I am really uncomfortable with the idea that people might be banned for being annoying. God knows I'm annoying to plenty of people (have a look at some political threads). I know that OSD's got a deep BB history. I can ignore some off-topic Myke Luhv comments in exchange for learning more. Though I hope he will keep in mind that it's a point of contention and try to be sensitive to that.

I would also hate for AGD to be banned. Nor would I like AGD to leave of his own volition because he feels offended. He's got a very deep well of knowledge and a great mind for facts. I'm also uncomfortable with people being banned for being sarcastic or curt. God knows I can be sarcastic, though usually more wordy than curt, I'm afraid. I can thicken my skin enough to deal with an AGD slap-down now and then in exchange for learning more. Though I hope he will keep in mind that not everyone can thicken their skin at will.

Also, I think OSD and AGD both sometimes show enjoyable sly humor.

I would also hate for the board to collapse right after I got here.

Please stop.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: December 06, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »

Instead of all the bellyaching, why don't all the mods get together, create a new set of rules or rehash/refresh the old ones with a clear system of warnings - a new baseline, if you like - and go from there. Start off by closing this, because it's going around in circles and the whining isn't befitting anyone with intelligence and, as I said, it's feeding the parasites.
I agree with this. For those that want OSD banned, please consider that you didn't choose your battle well. I know that if you feel that action must be taken, it's really frustrating for people to keep saying you should back off. But this incident started with OSD stating a very controversial, but on-topic and not personally insulting, opinion; then he received a few personal insults from people who were evidently already frustrated with him; then there was a mounting call for banning; then all-out warfare.
The way it developed left no room for anything good to happen. The moderators can't reasonably act on a complaint based on a post that didn't violate any rule. Had the complaints been made after OSD had done something actionable, then the moderators could reasonably have looked at that, and built an argument based on comparable historical posts that action should be taken. But where the issue was raised, and how it was raised (with personal insults) left the moderators with weak ground for action against OSD and some ground for action against other posters. In that situation, the wisest thing for a moderator to do would be to have a behind-the-scenes talk with OSD and with posters who got personal and that should be the end of it until a clearer situation arises.
As we are now, so many people have laid such strong stakes and gotten so angry that if anyone is banned, there will be people who will be outraged and who will feel marginalized and silenced and the war will continue. So I think the only way to settle things is to follow the advice of Smilin Ed H.
Please, can we call it a draw, use the ignore script as needed, and make a sincere effort to move past this? Then, the mods can have a chance to post new rules (and hopefully guidelines for how to respond to offenses) and if someone breaks them in the future, raise it properly and clearly and hopefully it can be addressed with less furor.
_________
Also:

It was said above that it's unanimous that OSD and SB be banned. I for one, do not want them banned. And it's clear from reading the posts that several others don't either. It's not unanimous. For one thing, I am really uncomfortable with the idea that people might be banned for being annoying. God knows I'm annoying to plenty of people (have a look at some political threads). I know that OSD's got a deep BB history. I can ignore some off-topic Myke Luhv comments in exchange for learning more. Though I hope he will keep in mind that it's a point of contention and try to be sensitive to that.

I would also hate for AGD to be banned. Nor would I like AGD to leave of his own volition because he feels offended. He's got a very deep well of knowledge and a great mind for facts. I'm also uncomfortable with people being banned for being sarcastic or curt. God knows I can be sarcastic, though usually more wordy than curt, I'm afraid. I can thicken my skin enough to deal with an AGD slap-down now and then in exchange for learning more. Though I hope he will keep in mind that not everyone can thicken their skin at will.

Please stop.

very well said emily.

I'm all for that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 06, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »

Hey Billy, name people you may have run into or spoken with at gigs you've attended, or just in general. We need to make sure John Manning has all the details necessary to ensure you are fit to be a moderator.

Sound about right, John? Happy with that?

Go spread sh*t about me again.

Just to inject a little humour into this thread,
I have been to a load of gigs where John Manning has been in attendance, but trust me I never cossied up to him as the seats weren't big enough..... LOL

Must say that their are probably members of the BB's reading this an saying "christ I thought we had problems, but sh*t look at that lot on the SS Board"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 06, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »

I'm sure the mods had a good reason for invoking that situation.

I see it differently:

If Andrew was banned, would this be a poorer place as a result? Yes.

If OSD and/or Smile Brian were to be banned, would this be a poorer place? Far from it.

I rather suspect Andrew stays because of the perceived value - perceived by the mods, as the rest of us didn't know about this arrangement until you (GF) chose to make it public - of Andrew's contribution to this board.

That's a very different kind of favouritism to the kind contained in the allegation in the copied post from another board that OSD gets to stay because he cosies up to a mod at gigs.

That issue needs answering for the moderation here to retain credibility.

Cozies up to a mod at gigs, huh? Pathetic, John.

You were asked but turned the gig down. Now you're doing this?

I was asked in a PM, and I understood the contents of such should remain private.

That gig is a far cry from the gig mentioned in the post you chose to copy here from another board. I assume you had similar permission for that, too?

This is toe-curling stuff.

Are you going to address the allegation that you and OSD are pals in the physical world? And explain why that might not affect your judgement as a mod, when so many board members are requesting action over his constant trolling?

You have no right to address that kind of question to anyone, not only will I not dignify it by addressing it, but shame on you and whoever is doing this with you for thinking bringing someone's personal life or whatever they do off the board has any bearing on what happens here.

Sad, and pathetic.

This is the board people want?

Now John Manning, who knows best what the board needs, puts in place a challenge where information he got from someone about who I may or may not have seen at a live concert is in some way relevant to anything going on here.

That's what you want? See John Manning.

John, who have you been cozying up to this past year? is that in fair play as well, or is it just the mods? Who have the other mods been friends with, should we ask them too? let's do it.

Pathetic.

I resnt this. I didn't get this info from anyone. It was in the thread on BBB that you decided to repost here.

Others have referred to it, and I think it needs some explanation to clear the air.

I haven't been cosying up to folk beyond exchanging PMs and emails wih others who are similar concerned with issues on this board. There is no plot that I know of, no agenda.

I don't care who you mix with off-board, GF, but I would be concerned if it affected the way things are moderated.

Please do not accuse me of "sh*t stirring" again. If was you who Brough this particular element of your personal life on to this board. That was your choice.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:57:09 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »

Are you now or have you ever had a drink with OSD?!!? ANSWER THE QUESTION!

This is goofy even for you, Manning. He shouldn't be banned unless he breaks any rules, and you certainly shouldn't be waving around an enemies list and accusing mods of somehow being unfair because they somehow may have exchanged words at a... gasp... Brian Wilson concert. It's kind of what happens when fans congregate. Would you think Billy's credibility was in question if he talked to AGD before or after a show? Somehow I reaaaally doubt it.

Emily's advice makes the most sense. You're sh*t-stirring. And so am I. Let's read her post again and take a deep breath, maybe?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:58:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 06, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

To throw my 2 cents back in (I think I'm up to $3.50 right now), I think action should be taken once members start attacking each other. Posts should be removed, member warned, ect. Original thread stays up.

Totally agree.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 06, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »

Are you now or have you ever had a drink with OSD?!!? ANSWER THE QUESTION!

This is goofy even for you, Manning. He shouldn't be banned unless he breaks any rules, and you certainly shouldn't be waving around an enemies list and accusing mods of somehow being unfair because they somehow may have exchanged words at a... gasp... Brian Wilson concert. It's kind of what happen when fans congregate. Would you think Billy's credibility was in question if he talked to AGD? Somehow I reaaaally doubt it.

Emily's advice makes the most sense. You're sh*t-stirring. And so am I. Let's read her post again and take a deep breath, maybe?

Look I don't really know who you are or why you address me by my surname. I don't come here to stir sh*t but when it stinks it maybe needs a prod to find out why.

Have I met you?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:38:19 PM by John Manning » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: December 06, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »

Right, I'm gonna rush to answer your questions after you slink away from my mine. Because you KNOW your line of thought was utter nonsense. Maybe you can do a survey and find out who may have met OSD socially and make a nice powerpoint presentation out of it. You can color code it red for people who are KNOWN OSD socializers, yellow for known OSD sympathizers, orange for POSSIBLE OSD sympathizers.

(deep breath)

Ah. Better. OK, I'll leave you to your inquisition and tribunal. Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:12:30 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: December 06, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »

Right, I'm gonna rush to answer your questions after you slink away from my mine. Because you KNOW your line of thought was utter nonsense. Maybe you can do a survey and find out who may have met OSD socially and make a nice powerpoint presentation out of it. You can color code it red for people who are KNOWN OSD socializers, yellow for known OSD sympathizers, orange for POSSIBLE OSD sympathizers.

(deep breath)

Both sides have a target now outside of Mike and Brian. Its like theres the anti-AGD and anti-OSD camp going on now.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »

(deep breath)

This baby's going into overload right about now.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 06, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »

_________
Also:

Please stop.

I just noticed in rereading this that it could easily be misconstrued. I did not at all mean to imply that AGD was the person that initiated personal insults. He was not. I just referenced him in the bottom part of my post because he was brought up repeatedly by GuitarFool in the last 24 hours. I would not otherwise have brought AGD particularly into my response.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: December 06, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »

_________
Also:

Please stop.

I just noticed in rereading this that it could easily be misconstrued. I did not at all mean to imply that AGD was the person that initiated personal insults. He was not. I just referenced him in the bottom part of my post because he was brought up repeatedly by GuitarFool in the last 24 hours. I would not otherwise have brought AGD particularly into my response.

Youre fine, Emily. I dont think anyone could accuse you of being partisan or complicit in this drama in any way.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: December 06, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »

My $0.02:

I don't think anyone should be banned. I think almost everyone should stop being jerks to each other. There are lots of jerks in the BB world (including at least one member 😃). We can all be jerks from time to time. Doesn't mean we have to be.

Some of the biggest jerks also happen to be some of the more knowledgeable and insightful members.

I find a huge portion of posts on Smiley to be annoying drivel. I just skip right past them. It's probably what keeps the board so active.

The problem is we need to tone the assholetry down.

If it were up to me, I would call for inflammatory posts to be against board rules. And when an inflammatory remark was made, the remark would be edited out by a mod, or the post removed all together, and an automatic warning sent to the poster. After a poster recieves maybe 3 marks, the account would be suspended for a day. After another, a week.
After another, a ban. Would probably weed out most BS. Mods of course would need to be highly impartial for this to work.

Some examples (based on my own controversial opinions) might go like this:

Inflammatory: "that d*ckhead Joe Thomas ruined No Pier Pressure, and I hope Brian gets out of his evil clutches."

Respectful debate: "I think Joe Thomas has been a ghost producer for Brian, and his recordings have suffered as a result."

Inflammatory: "That group of surf band dropouts should stop calling themselves 'The Beach Boys', and go with 'Mike Love's whore band of Sunrays'.

Respectful debate: "I've always been of the opinion that it's a disservice to the group's legacy for Mike to tour as 'The Beach Boys' without the original core members".

Obviously, there's tons of grey area, but that's where the common sense of the mods should come in.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:12:20 PM by DonnyL » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: December 06, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »

My $0.02:

I don't think anyone should be banned. I think almost everyone should stop being jerks to each other. There are lots of jerks in the BB world (including at least one member 😃). We can all be jerks from time to time. Doesn't mean we have to be.

Some of the biggest jerks also happen to be some of the more knowledgeable and insightful members.

I find a huge portion of posts on Smiley to be annoying drivel. I just skip right past them. It's probably what keeps the board so active.

If it were up to me, I would call for inflammatory posts to be against board rules. And when an inflammatory remark was made, the remark would be edited out by a mod, or the post removed all together, and an automatic warning sent to the poster. After a poster recieves maybe 3 marks, the account would be suspended for a day. After another, a week.
After another, a ban. Would probably weed out most BS. Mods of course would need to be highly impartial for this to work.

Inflammatory: "that d*ckhead Joe Thomas ruined No Pier Pressure, and I hope Brian gets out of his evil clutches."

Respectful debate: "I think Joe Thomas has been a ghost producer for Brian, and his recordings have suffered as a result."

Inflammatory: "That group of surf band dropouts should stop calling themselves 'The Beach Boys', and go with 'Mike Love's whore band of Sunrays'.

Respectful debate: "I've always been of the opinion that it's a disservice to the group's legacy for Mike to tour as 'The Beach Boys' without the original core members".

Obviously, there's tons of grey area, but that's where the common sense of the mods should come in.

100% agree.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 06, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »

(deep breath)

But don't go… I don't even know your name…

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 06, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »

My $0.02:

100% agree.

Me too.  Wink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: December 06, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »

My $0.02:

100% agree.

Me too.  Wink

Agreed. Its definitely a good start if nothing else

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 06, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »

My $0.02:

100% agree.

Me too.  Wink

Agreed. Its definitely a good start if nothing else

Like you say, at least 50 shades of grey but if it helps it's a great start. Good work.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 06, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »

And peace breaks out! Yay DonnyL! Tickertape flies! Bands are playing!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: December 06, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »

We should all sign it, like the Declaration of Independence. And then send it to the band members to ratify, like the Constitution.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 06, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »

**tiptoes back in** whispers, "though... 'Mike Love's whore band of Sunrays' would be a hilarious name for a cover band." **runs out and never shows her face at smileysmile.net again.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 06, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »

**runs out and never shows her face at smileysmile.net again.

Don't say that. We're missing quite enough wonderful posters as it is!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 06, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »

**runs out and never shows her face at smileysmile.net again.

Don't say that. We're missing quite enough wonderful posters as it is!

+1 … and aye, it's a good name for a cover band (but don't tell OSD I said that LOL )

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx