gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:44:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's band  (Read 105162 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »

Quite a lot to address...bear with me while I try to respond to everything.

Here's another one;
6. Should a forum member who was banned outright before for calling a band member's wife and daughter 'whores' and then allowed back with explicit instructions to lay off personally insulting said bandmember, which he has totally ignored to the point of threadcrapping the entire forum be allowed to remain a member?

It's not the insult of bandmembers that is the problem, it's when it goes to the families that I have a personal issue with, especially where offspring is concerned. There are certain people in the BB universe that I am not the fondest of, but I would *never* go after their kids. That starts up again, then yeah, he's banned. Same for anybody.

As far as who is getting banned, or not banned....that's entirely up to us mods. And as of right now, nobody is getting banned. If we see more garbage like there have been over the past eight (!) pages, well, then that will change.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »

8 pages?  Try 8 months.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »

I think one of the features I wish we did have was an ignore button. So many of the problems on this board could be solved by that. Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to add it. If a certain post is considered annoying, just ignore it. Being annoying isn't ban-worthy. When it comes to trolling, though, well that is a different matter, and one that is going to be looked at and discussed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »

I think one of the features I wish we did have was an ignore button. So many of the problems on this board could be solved by that. Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to add it. If a certain post is considered annoying, just ignore it. Being annoying isn't ban-worthy.

Everyone has their own inbuilt "ignore" feature and perhaps they should use it more often. There's no physical force coercing posters into answering everything.

If you're "called out" in an unpleasant way, the last thing the caller-out wants is to be ignored. If you ignore them, they'll be the one to lose face, not you.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

Look...I am STILL not calling for ANYONE to be banned.  That was never the intention when this all began back on page 2 or 3...  What I want is for the bullshit to stop.  The site is suffering.  People have left.   Good people.  Key people. The number of interesting posts is dwindling and information of value is becoming a more scarce commodity HERE.

So let's just let THAT continue?  Ignore?  Ignore every freaking thread?  You don't get it.  THAT's the problem.  Good gawd!!!

This place is broken...dare I say it?  It's f***ed up.

It really isn't worth the time or the bother anymore.  Moderation in moderation is just useless.  The wagon is stuck in its own 'mud'.  The playground is littered with gigantic pieces of stupid.  I deserve better.  You deserve better.  The general membership deserves better.  And for ALL they've given us over 53 FUCKING years...the Beach Boys collectively and individually deserve better.

But no.

Let me know when the gawd-dam thing is fixed.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:08:45 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »

Look...I am STILL not calling for ANYONE to be banned.  That was never the intention when this all began back on page 2 or 3...  What I want is for the bullshit to stop.  The site is suffering.  People have left.   Good people.  Key people. The number of interesting posts is dwindling and information of value is becoming a more scarce commodity HERE.

So let's just let THAT continue?  Ignore?  Ignore every freaking thread?  You don't get it.  THAT's the problem.  Good gawd!!!

This place is broken...dare I say it?  It's f***ed up.

It really isn't worth the time or the bother anymore.  Moderation in moderation is just useless.  The wagon is stuck in its own 'mud'.  The playground is littered with gigantic pieces of stupid.  I deserve better.  You deserve better.  The general membership deserves better.  And for ALL they've given us over 53 FUCKING years...the Beach Boys collectively and individually deserve better.

But no.

Let me know when the gawd-dam thing is fixed.

Roll Eyes

Better to stay at 120/72 than get tied up in knots, Lee. Hey, do you take requests on your radio show?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
LonelySea1991
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2015, 05:34:06 PM »

HI guys, i'm a rather young 60s affiniado, especially the Beatles and Beach Boys got into my Heart, the Beatles faster than the BBs.

I drove 150 miles to see the re-united Beach Boys in 2012.

I would probably go see Mikes Band (more for Bruce though) when they played my Town, but that's it.

They're not worth the effort, i mean, Mike even kicked his own son out because of the re-union, and that boy/man had a great voice and really could sing some of the Carl songs ImO.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »

Welcome.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »

HI guys, i'm a rather young 60s affiniado, especially the Beatles and Beach Boys got into my Heart, the Beatles faster than the BBs.

I drove 150 miles to see the re-united Beach Boys in 2012.

I would probably go see Mikes Band (more for Bruce though) when they played my Town, but that's it.

They're not worth the effort, i mean, Mike even kicked his own son out because of the re-union, and that boy/man had a great voice and really could sing some of the Carl songs ImO.

Welcome to the board!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2015, 08:03:08 PM »

But, when people hijack threads, either about a new Mike Love song, or a recent Mike and Bruce Beach Boys concert, with stuff like "Myke is such a ******," that's when it gets ridiculous. 

I see this assertion - that "people" consistently and frequently hijack threads, disrupt conversations, etc. with irrelevant, repetitive, unconstructive anti-Mike Love bombs - frequently, and I don't think it's untrue in a general way.
The problem is that I don't think that happened in this thread. This thread is a big Mike Love bomb from the OP. If there's anywhere to express your anti-Mike Lovitude, I'd think this thread would be the appropriate place to do it. And the post that set this firestorm off was not insulting to any other member.

So I think OSD did something that's fine in the context of this thread, then faced personal attacks and it escalated.
I understand, again, the general frustration with people throwing in negative comments out of the blue, but you need a better instance than this one to call for banning on.
On this thread, there are lots of posts that may be considered bannable on both "sides", but I shouldn't think OSD's original post is one of them.

Your's is the voice of reason. Appreciate your calm logic. Thank you, Emily.  Hug

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »

Comment:

Interesting discussion.

Within the past year I’ve attended both the Brian/Alan/Blondie show and the Mike/Bruce show. Both were sold out with an average ticket price of $100+. All age groups attended both shows with a leaning toward gray-haired patrons such as myself. Both shows had everyone on their feet with clapping hands-overhead, dancing in the isles, and wild applauding for an encore.

Each show featured Beach Boy time-honored hits. Each show was devoid of overdone props, excessive lighting, or theatrical gimmicks. Both shows were no-nonsense good music without enough time to even come close to playing the many hits in The Beach Boys roster.

Both bands were made up of excellent players. Both bands were tight. All vocals were rewarding to hear. All the harmonies were present and a joy to experience live.

Brian and Alan bantered with each other and the audience. The same for Bruce and Michael. While each had its own flavor, both styles were entertaining.

In conversations with Brian and Alan at one show, and Mike and Bruce at the other show we all realized that we had one thing in common, and that is our ages are very close to each other’s. Some birth-dates within a few months. Apart from Brian’s back problems, we are all generally healthy old guys able to keep up a demanding schedule without any special wants or needs.

My observation is that Brian, Alan, Mike and Bruce are all good natured, happy, content with what they are doing, interested in continuing with entertaining, pleased with how their past lives have been and where they are going, proud of their children and content with their family life.

So what’s the problem?  Why are so many on this thread so disgruntled with their fellow fans? or with their favorite entertainers? Aren’t we all moved when we hear Beach Boy music? I know it’s in my head all the time. I walk my dog and hear Brian’s lines. I wait at a traffic light and hear Mike’s words. I wash the dishes and Bruce’s harmonies make that task easy. I pay my bills and recall Alan’s prudent ways. I long for Dennis’ company and Carl’s insights.

Are we not all Beach Boy fans here?

Wake Up !! Enjoy! Critique yes, but with respect. Anonymous posting has its pitfalls. It lets each poster be a monster behind a mask … and get away with it. It sometimes brings out the worst and not the best. We would all be better served if each poster wrote as if they were reading his or her words directly to the Beach Boy about whom they were writing. Act and write as if you were in the same room as one of them.

You would be surprised at how human and normal these guys are outside the studio or beyond the stage door. They have problems to solve, responsibilities to meet, life situations to conquer, and not enough time, just like you and I.

There will come a time when they are not on stage. When you don’t have a choice whether to attend this time they’re in town or not. Some day you will not have a band to like or think is awful. The best discussions are of superior quality and thoughtful reflection. Remember that some day you will only have the music and your memories, so make them good.

It’s all GOOD LISTENING,

~Stephen W. Desper   
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »

Bravo, Stephen.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »

+1 to what Desper said.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »

... So what’s the problem?  Why are so many on this thread so disgruntled with their fellow fans? or with their favorite entertainers? Aren’t we all moved when we hear Beach Boy music? I know it’s in my head all the time. I walk my dog and hear Brian’s lines. I wait at a traffic light and hear Mike’s words. I wash the dishes and Bruce’s harmonies make that task easy. I pay my bills and recall Alan’s prudent ways. I long for Dennis’ company and Carl’s insights.

Are we not all Beach Boy fans here?

Wake Up !! Enjoy! Critique yes, but with respect. Anonymous posting has its pitfalls. It lets each poster be a monster behind a mask … and get away with it. It sometimes brings out the worst and not the best. We would all be better served if each poster wrote as if they were reading his or her words directly to the Beach Boy about whom they were writing. Act and write as if you were in the same room as one of them.

You would be surprised at how human and normal these guys are outside the studio or beyond the stage door. They have problems to solve, responsibilities to meet, life situations to conquer, and not enough time, just like you and I.

There will come a time when they are not on stage. When you don’t have a choice whether to attend this time they’re in town or not. Some day you will not have a band to like or think is awful. The best discussions are of superior quality and thoughtful reflection. Remember that some day you will only have the music and your memories, so make them good.

It’s all GOOD LISTENING,

~Stephen W. Desper   

Thank you for these great words of wisdom, Stephen!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »

Stephen, if you showed the band a fraction of the wisdom you showed us, you were indispensable indeed.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:12 PM »

Thank you, Stephen and all the others voicing decent attitudes

Make waves, not love
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »

The board is dying a death due to AGD's behind the scenes maneuvering. Sending tons and tons of PMs to maintain his control and push his agenda. Strange how he is obsessed with posts who have no ill-will against him, just don't like Mike Love.
One simple question: Why is the above post not grounds for immediate and permanent termination of board membership? Providing that after an investigation, said claims in the above post are proven to be false, obviously.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »

It'd be impossible to prove the PM thing either way, for starters, not without breaking the board rules.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »

I thought mods were allowed to have access to pm's? Not trying to stir the sh*t, by the way. That one post just rubbed me the wrong way.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »

I say too much ado about nothing. This whining about board being better place having better posters is just rubbish. It's the same, funny you can't realize it. 2nd, it goes both ways. If you don't like the 2 rampant trolls why even bat an eye? Few pages back, Micha uttered at the end of his post "I have an idea, but stating openly it may get ME banned". If it's not a bait, I dunno what is. NOBODY said ANYthing about bans before that. But of course, some folk had to pick on that bit & tell him "You should express your opinion" blah blah blah. This "hoola hoop" could've easily been avoided & the thread would go on & get written off as another anti-Mike thread (which I thought people at this point got used to?). It all went from there. Then, for some weird reason, posters started chiming in telling their own mini-stories that's got nothing to do with the thread subject, & that was further derailing of it.

I agree with Wirestone - it's not the worst ever moment in history of Smiley Smile. To know which is worst, look up the old threads & you'll forget this case, I guarantee.
And last, smb asked how it can be ignored - well, how the likes of HeyJude, baseball95, punkinhead, Matt H, southbay filter the negativity & continue on? Maybe it's very easy, you're just being stubborn &/or sentimental? It's a standard in online communities - those I know anyway - for people to come & go, for various reasons. It might not be alone due to passive moderation. From where I stand, not only trolls bring down the overall vibe, also those that keep replying to them WHILE repeating the cliched line "Don't feed the troll". Where is logic?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »

I thought mods were allowed to have access to pm's? Not trying to stir the sh*t, by the way. That one post just rubbed me the wrong way.

It had me scratching my head too. I mean, how on Earth would SB know what PMs AGD might have been sending? As he's not a mod, I'd have to assume a mod or perhaps an admin (do we have admins as well as mods?) had mentioned it to him/her, and that would have involved divulging the contents of a PM, which I understand is not allowed between sender/recipient, let alone non-involved parties, and no matter how things might appear to have deteriorated, I don't see any of our mods doing such a thing, especially with a poster as much in the sights of the mob's fury as SB. His allegations, assuming the above, have to be false. Otherwise, if PMs – Personal Messages – are being read then we might as well rename them Postcard Messages, which, as everyone is aware and therefore couldn't be shocked, can be read by the postman. LOL

Huge kudos to Mr Desper for his post btw; I hope this moderation issue can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction so the music can once more be first and foremost here. Great to see Billy and GF back among us and monitoring traffic.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2015, 12:12:05 AM »

It had me scratching my head too. I mean, how on Earth would SB know what PMs AGD might have been sending? As he's not a mod, I'd have to assume a mod or perhaps an admin (do we have admins as well as mods?) had mentioned it to him/her, and that would have involved divulging the contents of a PM, which I understand is not allowed between sender/recipient, let alone non-involved parties, and no matter how things might appear to have deteriorated, I don't see any of our mods doing such a thing, especially with a poster as much in the sights of the mob's fury as SB. His allegations, assuming the above, have to be false. Otherwise, if PMs – Personal Messages – are being read then we might as well rename them Postcard Messages, which, as everyone is aware and therefore couldn't be shocked, can be read by the postman. LOL

Huge kudos to Mr Desper for his post btw; I hope this moderation issue can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction so the music can once more be first and foremost here. Great to see Billy and GF back among us and monitoring traffic.

Because people are PMing the info. SB has a large circcle of Board friends. I was PMing a member about their ML post last week and they mentioned they had received a nasty PM about their post from ...........

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2015, 12:32:10 AM »

Pretty sure a lot of us have received a nasty PM from he who should not be named. I certainly hear about it a lot from various people, or see it mentioned on the board even. Who would it have been that sent Lana some abuse? Only one guess really.

So I'm with you there.

*prepares for angry PM*

And it's all because I hide behind a monicker right? Im waiting for that to factor into this, because I love all that - criticizing people for not wanting their names exposed like EVERY OTHER FORUM. I don't mind sharing my name with people online, but I prefer to have some control over it. It's not a big deal and shouldn't be, but for whatever reason some of the denizens of this board have made it a big issue.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »

The day I change my online name to the one on my passport and my avatar to a close up of my face is the day I stop being that person  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2015, 01:13:36 AM »

It'd be impossible to prove the PM thing either way, for starters, not without breaking the board rules.

Smile Brian is lying. Billy, you have my permission go into my PM outbox and report back here with the exact number of these  tons of messages pushing my agenda and manipulating this board.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx