gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce - Pre 2012  (Read 21488 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »

I'll bet a donut that when it is all told, Mike will have done no more to keep more reunion activity from happening than Brian and Al did and Mike did no less to make it happen than Brian and Al did.  Because BRI. I predict it is exactly as told, they all never got together as BRI to discuss what they would do about any 2013 or later offers.  If there were any offers that would have made it to contract for 2013 and weren't just pie in sky at the time.

You realize by saying that, you're essentially implying that Al in 2012 had as significant "needs" and demands that weren't being met when compared to Mike. You don't hear interviews with Al grumbling over and over again about Waves of Love being rejected, but Mike's publicly repeatedly complains about all sorts of Mike's own C50 songwriting needs going unfulfilled.

Mike threw a hissy fit in no small part because when he realized he was not going to be as necessary to the songwriting process as he wanted, it would not fly. His need for gaining more widespread industry respect (a desire I can understand) was bigger than any kind of need for healing, mending of fences, or the legacy of the band (that ego-based barometer of priorities I cannot understand). Regarding the songwriting matter alone, how can you consider the two men's demands on par with each other, when it comes to assigning blame? Of the two men, Mike continues to far more of a whiner about this subject alone; it's not some "equal" blame type thing at all.

I don't think anyone is still asking Al about Waves of Love.  They are still asking Mike about C50, however.  Some people forget that these interviews are almost always for concerts happening in a local town and only read by local readers who normally read nothing about the Beach Boys.  What Mike says is new to those readers.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »

I'll bet a donut that when it is all told, Mike will have done no more to keep more reunion activity from happening than Brian and Al did and Mike did no less to make it happen than Brian and Al did.  Because BRI. I predict it is exactly as told, they all never got together as BRI to discuss what they would do about any 2013 or later offers.  If there were any offers that would have made it to contract for 2013 and weren't just pie in sky at the time.

You realize by saying that, you're essentially implying that Al in 2012 had as significant "needs" and demands that weren't being met when compared to Mike. You don't hear interviews with Al grumbling over and over again about Waves of Love being rejected, but Mike's publicly repeatedly complains about all sorts of Mike's own C50 songwriting needs going unfulfilled. Mike threw a hissy fit in no small part because when he realized he was not going to be as necessary to the songwriting process as he wanted, it would not fly. On this matter alone, how can you consider the two men's demands on par with each other? Of the two men, Mike continues to far more of a whiner about this subject alone; it's not some "equal" blame type thing at all.

Easy, all of that is a red herring and/or straw man because Al has as much authority in BRI as Brian or Mike.

Aside from the BRI corporate structure and Brian's + Carl's estate's understandable desire for a paycheck... Aside from that, when you look at the songwriting demands between just those two guys alone (Al vs Mike), you can't tell me that one wasn't being far more of a diva with demands than the other. The extremely lopsided (Mike-heavy) songwriting diva behavior is not a negligible issue when talking about who was more to blame. Mike specifically called out the songwriting as a catalyst of why the reunion didn't work. Al could take the rejection; Mike couldn't.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:01:43 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »

You realize by saying that, you're essentially implying that Al in 2012 had as significant "needs" and demands that weren't being met when compared to Mike. You don't hear interviews with Al grumbling over and over again about Waves of Love being rejected, but Mike's publicly repeatedly complains about all sorts of Mike's own C50 songwriting needs going unfulfilled.

Mike threw a hissy fit in no small part because when he realized he was not going to be as necessary to the songwriting process as he wanted, it would not fly. His need for gaining more widespread industry respect (a desire I can understand) was bigger than any kind of need for healing, mending of fences, or the legacy of the band (that ego-based barometer of priorities I cannot understand). Regarding the songwriting matter alone, how can you consider the two men's demands on par with each other, when it comes to assigning blame? Of the two men, Mike continues to far more of a whiner about this subject alone; it's not some "equal" blame type thing at all.

I don't think anyone is still asking Al about Waves of Love.  They are still asking Mike about C50, however.  Some people forget that these interviews are almost always for concerts happening in a local town and only read by local readers who normally read nothing about the Beach Boys.  What Mike says is new to those readers.

Al surely just let the Waves of Love issue simply go. It probably didn't gnaw at Al like Mike's songwriting issues did to Mike. Al picked his battles. Mike may have relented on some C50 battles (like grudgingly playing some deeper cuts that he didn't want to initially), but mostly he just got resentful and blew the tour over IMO extremely warped priorities, that I can't imagine make sense to a whole lot of people without the last name of Love. Sad, sad, sad. I wish it wasn't that way, but let's not be in denial about warped priorities. If we could redirect any one living BB's priorities, to get them to see the light so to speak, I can't imagine many people choosing to redirect a different living BB member's priorities than Mike.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:10:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »

You realize by saying that, you're essentially implying that Al in 2012 had as significant "needs" and demands that weren't being met when compared to Mike. You don't hear interviews with Al grumbling over and over again about Waves of Love being rejected, but Mike's publicly repeatedly complains about all sorts of Mike's own C50 songwriting needs going unfulfilled. Mike threw a hissy fit in no small part because when he realized he was not going to be as necessary to the songwriting process as he wanted, it would not fly. On this matter alone, how can you consider the two men's demands on par with each other? Of the two men, Mike continues to far more of a whiner about this subject alone; it's not some "equal" blame type thing at all.

Easy, all of that is a red herring and/or straw man because Al has as much authority in BRI as Brian or Mike.

Aside from the BRI corporate structure and Brian's + Carl's estate's understandable desire for a paycheck... Aside from that, when you look at the songwriting demands between just those two guys alone (Al vs Mike), you can't tell me that one wasn't being far more of a diva with demands than the other. The extremely lopsided (Mike-heavy) songwriting diva behavior is not a negligible issue when talking about who was more to blame. Mike specifically called out the songwriting as a catalyst of why the reunion didn't work. Al could take the rejection; Mike couldn't.

You are welcome to your opinions but I don't see how any of it has anything to do with BRI taking up any offers presented to them at a board meeting (if any were actually offered).

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »

I'll bet a donut that when it is all told, Mike will have done no more to keep more reunion activity from happening than Brian and Al did and Mike did no less to make it happen than Brian and Al did.  Because BRI. I predict it is exactly as told, they all never got together as BRI to discuss what they would do about any 2013 or later offers.  If there were any offers that would have made it to contract for 2013 and weren't just pie in sky at the time.

You are welcome to your opinions but I don't see how any of it has anything to do with BRI taking up any offers presented to them at a board meeting (if any were actually offered).

Do you think that if Mike could have just not let resentment about songwriting get the best of him, the way Al obviously was able to put that issue behind him in 2012, that this wouldn't have been a factor in any way, shape or form, with regard to there being a better chance that everyone could have been communicating in a more healthy manner, discussing show offers, getting a board meeting to happen... as opposed to one of them ruminating in resentment and looking for (and finding) an escape hatch?

Again - if Mike had gotten the entire album written and recorded in a room with Brian, do you honestly think the reunion would have just coincidentally imploded exactly the way it did? That perceived injustice to Mike *obviously* wasn't a negligible factor in what went down when C50 ended.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:40:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »

I don't think anyone is still asking Al about Waves of Love.  They are still asking Mike about C50, however.  Some people forget that these interviews are almost always for concerts happening in a local town and only read by local readers who normally read nothing about the Beach Boys.  What Mike says is new to those readers.

Al surely just let the Waves of Love issue simply go. It probably didn't gnaw at Al like Mike's songwriting issues did to Mike. Al picked his battles. Mike may have relented on some C50 battles (like grudgingly playing some deeper cuts that he didn't want to initially), but mostly he just got resentful and blew the tour over IMO extremely warped priorities, that I can't imagine make sense to a whole lot of people without the last name of Love. Sad, sad, sad. I wish it wasn't that way, but let's not be in denial about warped priorities. If we could redirect any one living BB's priorities, to get them to see the light so to speak, I can't imagine many people choosing to redirect a different living BB member's priorities than Mike.

Uhhh ok
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 05:36:46 PM »

Do you think that if Mike could have just not let resentment about songwriting get the best of him, the way Al obviously was able to put that issue behind him in 2012, that this wouldn't have been a factor in any way, shape or form, with regard to there being a better chance that everyone could have been communicating in a more healthy manner, discussing show offers, as opposed to one of them ruminating in resentment and looking for (and finding) an escape hatch?

Again - if Mike had gotten the entire album written and recorded in a room with Brian, do you honestly think the reunion would have imploded like it did? That perceived injustice to Mike *obviously* wasn't a negligible factor in what went down.

It wouldn't matter. On the agenda, discuss or not, vote. Easy Peasy.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »

Do you think that if Mike could have just not let resentment about songwriting get the best of him, the way Al obviously was able to put that issue behind him in 2012, that this wouldn't have been a factor in any way, shape or form, with regard to there being a better chance that everyone could have been communicating in a more healthy manner, discussing show offers, as opposed to one of them ruminating in resentment and looking for (and finding) an escape hatch?

Again - if Mike had gotten the entire album written and recorded in a room with Brian, do you honestly think the reunion would have imploded like it did? That perceived injustice to Mike *obviously* wasn't a negligible factor in what went down.

It wouldn't matter. On the agenda, discuss or not, vote. Easy Peasy.

So you are saying that a 2012 BB album written by Brian and Mike in a room, just like Mike wanted, would NOT have possibly been some sort of motivating factor for Mike to have more desire to discuss - in a boardroom - potential collective BB plans for the future? Doesn't mean the reunion automatically would continue indefinitely, but it would not have imploded in the manner it did, when it did. No way.

This would especially especially especially be true if Mike specifically got some praise in the press about his new songwriting contributions. And if this led to any kind of legit music mag talking about positively reevaluating Mike as a talent. Do you doubt this? Do you think Mike would have been no more incentivized to at least entertain some corporate discussion about some possible future reunion activity in any shape or form?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:51:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »

I'm saying, imo, it will eventually be revealed that it doesn't matter because there was no vote one way or another by BRI which is on each and every board member.  Your opinion is something else,  that's fine.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »

Wow, you're so gracious to allow him an opinion. Maybe you can be even nicer and take him seriously and address his points instead of dodging so as not to let blemish Mike Love's mighty name.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »

Wow, you're so gracious to allow him an opinion. Maybe you can be even nicer and take him seriously and address his points instead of dodging so as not to let blemish Mike Love's mighty name.

Oh thank you.  Gosh, you're going to make me blush.  You are welcome to your opinions as well.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »

My opinion, prior to the reunion, was that Mike's group was the only representation of The Beach Boys we had, and this was by mutual consent of the rest of the band. I accepted it, attended several of Mike's shows and enjoyed them. But, even then, I was quite aware that I was not really seeing The Beach Boys. This was what was left of The Beach Boys, and it "was what it was." The music was the star of the show, anyway, so I was resigned to this ghost of a great band.

The reunion was a whole different animal. Unexpected, thrilling and including the one and only Brian Wilson! with Al! And David! This tour WAS The Beach Boys… The real deal, as close as you could get without Carl and Dennis. And, to top it off, Mike "immagonnasueyou" Love was actually positive about celebrating their history together, was publicly considerate of Cousin Brian's health, and was generally acting like someone who finally found some level of graciousness. Of course, I knew the tour wasn't supposed to be permanent, but with Brian and Al enjoying it and wanting to continue, large crowds, critical buzz, and high profile offers pouring in,  one would expect that the band would recognize what an opportunity they now had, would reassess their positions and find a way to make it work a bit longer.

Except they didn't. At all. And, by all accounts, it came down to Mike walking away from the table before the offers and options could even be considered. I was disappointed that such promise for a late career renaissance was cut off prematurely.

So, for me, it wasn't about Mike vs Brian. It was about Mike vs. The Beach Boys. And Mike lost.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:54:15 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »

Oh thank you.  Gosh, you're going to make me blush.  You are welcome to your opinions as well.

You should go make a sign about it.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »

Oh thank you.  Gosh, you're going to make me blush.  You are welcome to your opinions as well.

You should go make a sign about it.

'Cuz I own a SIGN shop! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (wheeze, wheeze) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (hold sides) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (repeat)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:38:49 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »

I'm a little confused. What I know is limited: they were touring with a mess of actual BBs participating; then the tour ended with a little flurry of back and forth press statements: fired, not fired, felt like fired.
Cam, above, is saying that BRI never got together for... what? Did they never get together to discuss continuing that tour? Did they never get together to discuss further work?
Could someone review for me the actual known facts, not leading up to C50 but at the end and after?
If you don't want to bother, that's OK. I'll read up elsewhere but if it's not too difficult, it would be nice.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »

I'm a little confused. What I know is limited: they were touring with a mess of actual BBs participating; then the tour ended with a little flurry of back and forth press statements: fired, not fired, felt like fired.
Cam, above, is saying that BRI never got together for... what? Did they never get together to discuss continuing that tour? Did they never get together to discuss further work?
Could someone review for me the actual known facts, not leading up to C50 but at the end and after?
If you don't want to bother, that's OK. I'll read up elsewhere but if it's not too difficult, it would be nice.

Hey, Emily. Try trolling through this discussion. Most of the salient points get mentioned at some point or another: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20778.0.html

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:15:10 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »

Hey, Emily. Try trolling through this discussion. Most of the salient points get mentioned at some point or another: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20778.0.html
Thanks. I'll do that.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »

Or you could just skip to chase and read this little gem from Howie:

Cam -

I had heard differently from people that were not directly attached to the already booked C50 dates -- they were talking about other venues (not sheds) in other cities. But the bottom line re: MSG and what most lay people don't understand about at least THAT specific venue is that an act just about breaks even playing there, due to high cost of the venue (security, etc. . . which is why so many other NYC-area venues have prospered in the past and present.) So, to answer your question without seeing any paperwork, the logical answer would be that if in fact any MSG offer was in the air, it would've undoubtedly been for the 2013 calendar year, seeing as how the band essentially played to (someone help me whith the numbers) some 40,000 NY tri-state area fans over, I think, five different venues. They made a lot more money on those gigs than if they did two nights at the Garden -- BUT. . . . . . . .  they didn't get prestigious The New York Times review of a Madison Square Garden gig that the tour deserved.

The 2013 North American ideas floated around by the people I know were never made public -- but were all for 2013 -- and I don't believe they were even pitched to the band due to the ugly and amateur ending. I will say this, though; there were a lot of people with far deeper pockets than Joe Thomas watching how C50 played out and according to ALL my contacts as soon as the press release went down it was DEAD. They saw a mess and moved on.

And as one very powerful booking agent said to me -- and this stuck with me when I was pressing him about "Yeah, but what if they got it back together and made it work for the next year, and a new LP, and a DVD, etc, etc, etc. . ."

He said to me, QUOTE: "Look. It's dead. It's over. And it's dead not because Brian was crazy, or because Al was difficult, or Dennis was drunk and f ucked up the show, it was because Mike walked. He walked away from Brian Wilson, and Rolling Stone, and the Royal Albert Hall, and actual asses in the seats -- for WHAT? For parking lots with lawn chairs. He wanted to be the boss. Good. Now he's the boss. No one gets a second chance to take an AARP brand and become an arena act."

I felt like s hit for a week.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »

As I suspected "I don't believe they were even pitched to the band".  Possibly, according to one promoter, "due to the ugly and amateur ending". Presumably because of the press release that was requested and the public being misled about firings. Probably.

In other words, it was the fault of all three members of BRI.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:37:10 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »

As I suspected "I don't believe they were even pitched to the band".  Possibly, according to one promoter, "due to the ugly and amateur ending". Presumably because of the press release that was requested and the public being misled about firings. Probably.

Who is the board of BRI at this point? Is it just Al, Brian and Mike? Does a representative of Carl's estate have a vote? Did anyone outside of the original BBs ever get a seat?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »

Who is the board of BRI at this point? Is it just Al, Brian and Mike? Does a representative of Carl's estate have a vote? Did anyone outside of the original BBs ever get a seat?

Yes, all three and a rep of Carl's Estate.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2015, 09:32:38 PM »

Voting members are Brian, Mike, Al and Carl's estate.

And LOL @ Cam with points for consistency.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »

Thanks for answering my questions, Cyncie and Cam. It doesn't really bother me that they didn't continue touring together, but it's a shame that something so positive ended up leaving bad feelings behind. Kind of like Thanksgiving with my extended family. Yay.

Eta: Kind of just kidding about the fam. If any of you are reading this in the future, love you guys!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:46:42 PM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »

Cam, are you thinking that, had offers been presented and gotten to a vote and had BW and AJ voted (and Carl's estate too I guess to form a majority) to continue touring in 2013, that ML would've agreed to it? Do you think that he would've agreed to it right out anyway, of course if the offer/set up was decent? Obviously I'm asking for speculation and if that's not comfortable, don't answer and no offense would be taken.
To anyone who might have an answer, what happens if someone does not want to tour but there's a vote deciding to tour? Obviously no one can be forced to tour against their will. Would that person be fined or penalized in some way for not touring? That seems weird, so I'm guessing that a vote would be on whether the BBs as an organization would do the tour, then each individual decides whether or not to participate. (?)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2015, 04:29:51 AM »

Cam, are you thinking that, had offers been presented and gotten to a vote and had BW and AJ voted (and Carl's estate too I guess to form a majority) to continue touring in 2013, that ML would've agreed to it? Do you think that he would've agreed to it right out anyway, of course if the offer/set up was decent? Obviously I'm asking for speculation and if that's not comfortable, don't answer and no offense would be taken.
To anyone who might have an answer, what happens if someone does not want to tour but there's a vote deciding to tour? Obviously no one can be forced to tour against their will. Would that person be fined or penalized in some way for not touring? That seems weird, so I'm guessing that a vote would be on whether the BBs as an organization would do the tour, then each individual decides whether or not to participate. (?)

I'd guess that they would discuss and come to an agreement, probably to do it again.  It might have been in 2014 instead of 2013, some or all  of them might have gotten more or less of this and that or just gone along again, they all assumed they would discuss it after C50 (I presume Al did, Brian and Mike said they did at the time).  Apparently the "bad press" around the end of C50 kept promoters from even offering anything to discuss, anyway Mike has said no written offers came their way and the band never had a discussion of the offers.

None of us really knows how BRI works, so speculation.  If someone were out voted I presume they would be a good corporate citizen and go along with the majority according to the vote.  There is a long tradition of sitting out tours, so if they sat out instead I suppose the same rules as in the past would apply, in other words (according to court records) they share the profits whether they tour or not but those who tour get a higher percentage. Something like that.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:37:20 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx