gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:17:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's complete the circle - release an un-Landy version of BRIAN WILSON  (Read 11739 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »

I would like a version of this album released that eliminated all of the existing percussion and replaced those tracks with a rhythm track consisting of just a bass drum and a snare (and some sleighbells, where appropriate). The synths don't bug me, I agree that they seem like an "organic" extension of Brian's Love You approach, but those drums, man... way too much treble-prone cymbals.

Actually, I would like all of Brian's solo material to be de-drummed and those tracks replaced by just bass drum/snare.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »

glad I found this thread, as these thoughts of the OP matched my own.  I was thinking how some people consider Pet Sounds a BW solo album.
Then got to thinking about BW88, and like others have said, I would have loved to have heard these done back in 65/66 with the wrecking crew.
Im not saying I don't like 88, but imagining how most of those songs work makes me think moreso, yeah, Pet Sounds really was Brian's debut as such
as a solo artist.  Imagine 'one for the boys' with the guys' blend of harmonies.  'baby let your hair grow long', fit's in with the 'caroline no' category.
'rio grande' wow!, SMILE here we come!
'little children', while not melancholy, fits into the childlike theme and before the loss of innocence. 
'melt away' is so Brian it's not funny, along with 'you still believe in me', 'I just wasn't made'.
those are the songs that stick out most to me that could have been on 'pet sounds'.  While the soundstage is completely different, both albums for the most
part could have been merged and shout out to me Brian Wilson more than The Beach Boys.
However, nothing can ever replace that BB blend that made them so magical. 
Another thought, how would Pet Sounds sound done in the 1988 synth style?

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 06:46:59 AM »

What I've never liked about the album was the way Brian's voice sounded at that time, the tone of his voice , his style of singing, whatever you want to call it. I know it's has been referred to as "shouty Brian". It was almost as if he forgot how to sing at that point. The beauty was gone from his voice.
In my opinion, Let It Shine is the exception.
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 07:02:58 AM »

Definitely seemed like Brian enjoyed using the synths at least in the Love You era (dying to hear those backing tracks)
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »

I would say just leave BW88 alone, it's great as it is. What's the point in trying to rewrite history? I'm no great lover of Landy but he was a part of Brian's history.

What next? De-Mike-ing the whole Boys catalogue? Un-Manson-ing Never Learn Not to Love?

Brian should have/ could perform a lot more of these songs live with his current band, as part of a 'rarities' set I wish he would sometimes do 'just for the fans'.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 06:01:37 AM »

What I would like to see is the resident posters who have so expertly covered BB songs in the past to make a "Today!-Smile" era version of BW88. Now, I can't contribute anything to this effort, so I'm just throwing it out there.

C'mon Smiley Smile message board, spend the next year re-arranging and re-recording BW88 just for my amusement!!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx