gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:57:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's complete the circle - release an un-Landy version of BRIAN WILSON  (Read 11774 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »

I was on the side of the original poster at one point. I'm sure you could find similar sentiments from me on this board. But I've changed my mind on this. It's not that I have grown to like the production on the original album--I haven't--but rather that to do it in another style would be every bit as artificial (or more artificial) than its original version. The original is (to state the obvious) the original. Whatever led to it, led to it. That is what it is; it wasn't something else that was manipulated into a corruption.

So while I might have liked it more had it been otherwise, it wasn't. It's a moot point of course, just a message-board hypothetical, but I'd hate for Brian to waste whatever time and energy he'd got left rerecording an album just to "improve" its production, especially since judgments of production shift with styles.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 12:42:59 AM »

I like the production as it is.  I understand some people can't stand it, though, and that's their prerogative. 

Unfortunately I feel that music gets sterilized because there's a style of production that people have come to expect everything to be recorded in.  Even if you'd prefer music to be recorded clean with less effects, etc. that still homogenizes the way people record music and takes some of the creativity out of it. 

Just my opinion. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 05:16:47 AM »

I completely agree with you, Ron. Not about liking the production, but everything else you said.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »

Nobody was immune to that production style in the late 80s. 

For proof, listen to anything from Roger Waters's 1987 album, Radio KAOS. 

Rather than re-recording BW88, and essentially covering himself yet again, how about a tour in 2018 to mark the 30th Anniversary where he and his band perform the album?

Tom Waits was immune to the 80's production style (ex. swordfishtrombones and rain dogs)

You're right, I shouldn't have said everybody went all in on 1980s production. 

AC/DC sure didn't. 

Depending on the band/artist, some are better at adapting to the 80s sound, and it doesn't sound so synthetic.  ie. Van Halen incorporated synths, but really just used them as an extension of their sound. 

AC/DC most definitely went 80s on Fly on the Wall and the new stuff on Who Made Who. Not many synths, obviously, but they've got the gated drums, vocals sounding like they were recorded in a cavern, and that big echoey, tinny sound.

Those records would have sounded better with different production choices, but Brian Wilson '88? That's perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

AC/DC's songwriting may have went slightly 80s. 

But, they didn't use any synths ala Van Halen or Roger Waters

They also didn't glam up their look the way that Kiss and even Judas Priest did. 

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:57 AM »

My  wife and I just watched Love & Mercy last weekend and it's incredible.  Tonight I put on Brian's first solo album, and showed her it was produced by Landy - she'd never heard it before.  We put it on, and the songs are so great, it's just that the production is awful, so excessive 80's and with too much plastic synth and treble. 

So imagine that Brian goes back to the studio with the current band and they record and release an un-Landy version of BRIAN WILSON produced in the style of PET SOUNDS - wouldn't it be nice?

It would be worth a try, and while we're at it, I'd like Pet Sounds style produced versions of Love You and NPP, too.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:04 PM »

Thing is, another 27 years down the line, opinion might turn against a BW88/15 production style. Should it then be re-re-recorded?

And why re-do something in 1966-style? Why should one of pop's greatest innovators and finest arrangers and melody writers suddenly have to turn the clock back 49 years?

Let sleeping dogs lie, I reckon; I love it just the way it is, and I enjoy listening to Brians constant ongoing musical evolution.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »

Thing is, another 27 years down the line, opinion might turn against a BW88/15 production style. Should it then be re-re-recorded?

And why re-do something in 1966-style? Why should one of pop's greatest innovators and finest arrangers and melody writers suddenly have to turn the clock back 49 years?

Let sleeping dogs lie, I reckon; I love it just the way it is, and I enjoy listening to Brians constant ongoing musical evolution.
I think a good percentage of Brian's fans wish he had never moved past 1966/67. I know it's easy to criticize the 80's sound of BW88 now, but when it came out, it was in step with the times soundwise. If Brian and his collaborators had recorded in the 1966 style in 1988, the result would have been panned as sounding stuck in the past. Who has the vision to know what is going to sound cool or hip 20 years into the future? And as you suggest, in another 20 years, people might be digging the 80's sounds again.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 05:36:06 AM »

Sooner than that, even. In fact 80s-style production has been quite big in the pop world again for a few years now. Probably not amongst people who were around when BW88 first came out, much less those who were there when Pet Sounds first dropped, but, amongst, you know... pop kids (I can't type that without it looking horrendously condescending... for what it's worth, I *love* pop music, always have... and I'm now 44).

What goes around, comes around...
KDS
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »

My biggest issue with the BW 1988 album isn't so much with the production, but with the consistency of the songs. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »

My biggest issue with the BW 1988 album isn't so much with the production, but with the consistency of the songs. 

I think the songs are all very good at the least, and some are excellent. In fact, it's always hard for me to pick 2 or 3 favorites from the album; Melt Away, There's So Many, Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight, Let it Shine, Rio Grande, Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long....this album was so great to hear in 1988, after years of hearing that Brian was going to do a solo album. The anticipation had been building up ever since 1985, when he first talked of doing it. By '88, I was beginning to doubt it would ever come out. I still think it's his best solo album of original material, although TLOS comes close.
KDS
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »

I think the songs are all very good at the least, and some are excellent. In fact, it's always hard for me to pick 2 or 3 favorites from the album; Melt Away, There's So Many, Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight, Let it Shine, Rio Grande, Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long....this album was so great to hear in 1988, after years of hearing that Brian was going to do a solo album. The anticipation had been building up ever since 1985, when he first talked of doing it. By '88, I was beginning to doubt it would ever come out. I still think it's his best solo album of original material, although TLOS comes close.

I can see where you're coming from.  I really only got into Brian's solo material in the last three years or so. 

It's probably just above Imagination for my 3rd favorite BW solo album.  #2 is NPP.  #1 is TLOS. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 06:00:51 PM »

I can see where you're coming from.  I really only got into Brian's solo material in the last three years or so. 

It's probably just above Imagination for my 3rd favorite BW solo album.  #2 is NPP.  #1 is TLOS. 
OCA is right up there for me, but Brian didn't write it, so kind of a separate category. But again, it was so good to hear after 7 freaking years without a new album from Brian! Hard to believe these days, when he is cranking out something new on a regular basis.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »

I would actually be sort of interested to hear Landy's mix of the self-titled record just for the what the fuckness of it all. Still my favorite solo Brian album. Head and shoulders above everything he has done on his own. It has that Love You feel to it; that much raw honesty, the sheer "f*** it, let's make a record" feeling is still a blast to hear today. I actually like the "shouty" vocals on the record. They work, as do the arrangements and instrumentation.

f*** if I know HOW or WHY it works so well, but that's the beauty behind Brian's music. A lot of times the stuff SHOULDN'T work but it does brilliantly.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 02:06:43 AM »

I think a good percentage of Brian's fans wish he had never moved past 1966/67. I know it's easy to criticize the 80's sound of BW88 now, but when it came out, it was in step with the times soundwise. If Brian and his collaborators had recorded in the 1966 style in 1988, the result would have been panned as sounding stuck in the past. Who has the vision to know what is going to sound cool or hip 20 years into the future? And as you suggest, in another 20 years, people might be digging the 80's sounds again.

You're right about evrything in this post, at least I agree with it - yet I would still love to hear it all recorded in that glorious 1965/66 style! Smiley

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 02:46:15 AM »

I'd like to hear Pet Sounds done in Sweet Insanity style!!!  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »

Personally, I like BW88 production a lot better than Imaginations production. And there is no way in hell I would want Love You 'Pet Soundsed up'. I like Love You the way it is. And while the last 10 years of Brian's solo work has been solid in the Pet Sounds style of production, especially Reimagines Gershwin, my favorite productions in Brian's solo career are some of the 90s Payley sessions that are on youtube. Most of all 'Chain Reaction' !!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 03:56:46 AM »

If Brian and his collaborators had recorded in the 1966 style in 1988, the result would have been panned as sounding stuck in the past. Who has the vision to know what is going to sound cool or hip 20 years into the future?

Uh... people who know better...? The ephemeral 'Top 40 sound' isn't anything new to the industry. The same minds who thought DX7s were an acceptable compromise over organic instruments also think pitch correction is an acceptable compromise over multiple vocal takes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 01:37:11 AM »

If Brian and his collaborators had recorded in the 1966 style in 1988, the result would have been panned as sounding stuck in the past. Who has the vision to know what is going to sound cool or hip 20 years into the future?

Uh... people who know better...? The ephemeral 'Top 40 sound' isn't anything new to the industry. The same minds who thought DX7s were an acceptable compromise over organic instruments also think pitch correction is an acceptable compromise over multiple vocal takes.
Yes, we love our 60's records - one group of musicians playing together in a room; our Beach Boys gathered around only a couple of microphones, doing it for real. But I'm sure there are also lots of people who like the 80's sound. There's no right or wrong way, just what you like. I'm open to more than one way of doing things.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »

Talking about BW88, say what you will about Brian's singing style at the time, at the very least it did sound passionate. I'd take Walkin' the Line over most of his later solo stuff any day.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 12:41:36 PM »

Talking about BW88, say what you will about Brian's singing style at the time, at the very least it did sound passionate. I'd take Walkin' the Line over most of his later solo stuff any day.
Cool Guy
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2015, 12:57:58 PM »

Personally  I think the production on Melt Away, There's So Many, Rio Grande and Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long and One for the Boys is perfect. In fact the only one that dissapoints production wise is Love & Mercy and we've got several remakes already so I can listen to them whenever I feel the need. It's a great album.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »

IMO, the BW88 vocals sound afraid. Tense, anxious, desperate. All with good reason, of course.

Starting with Imagination, Brian's vocals have re-acquired the laid-back quality that made his golden-era leads distinctive. Less range and a somewhat ragged timbre, sure, but he sounds cool again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »

IMO, the BW88 vocals sound afraid. Tense, anxious, desperate. All with good reason, of course.

Starting with Imagination, Brian's vocals have re-acquired the laid-back quality that made his golden-era leads distinctive. Less range and a somewhat ragged timbre, sure, but he sounds cool again.

Tense, yes, but anxious, desperate? I'm not sure about this. Does he sound desperate on a song like Melt Away? Frankly I don't hear it. My only (small) complaint about his singing on BW88 is that he sounds a bit like Ozzy, which took some getting used to. At first I found it a bit irritating but now I just really like it all. To me, POB is the very best BB solo album and BW88 is the one I personally play the most.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »

When I listened to BW88 again a couple of years ago after years of not listening to it I found the singing much better than how I had remembered it. My personal favorite BB solo album is TLOS though. Not only is it a fun album to listen to, IMHO it has Brian's best post-1973 singing. (I'd like to hear that album in a 1965-66 soundscape too... Wink 2)

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2015, 11:38:59 PM »

I think Brian is singing a lot better on BW88 than he was in the 15BO/LY era. The first hints that he was improving being on BB85. No, it's not the sound of young Brian, but considering how much damage he'd inflicted on his vocal chords previously, very impressive.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx