gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:33:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's complete the circle - release an un-Landy version of BRIAN WILSON  (Read 11740 times)
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:18:53 AM »

My  wife and I just watched Love & Mercy last weekend and it's incredible.  Tonight I put on Brian's first solo album, and showed her it was produced by Landy - she'd never heard it before.  We put it on, and the songs are so great, it's just that the production is awful, so excessive 80's and with too much plastic synth and treble. 

So imagine that Brian goes back to the studio with the current band and they record and release an un-Landy version of BRIAN WILSON produced in the style of PET SOUNDS - wouldn't it be nice?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »

No. The album is what it is.

And the '80s sounds are not necessarily because of Landy. I'm sure Brian had quite a lot to do with it. If anything I've felt that Brian Wilson kinda ratches up the Love You sound and moved it into the '80s.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:37:43 AM »

Nobody was immune to that production style in the late 80s. 

For proof, listen to anything from Roger Waters's 1987 album, Radio KAOS. 

Rather than re-recording BW88, and essentially covering himself yet again, how about a tour in 2018 to mark the 30th Anniversary where he and his band perform the album?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:08:11 AM »

Love the production of BW88 as it is.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »

Landy didn't have anything to do with the production aspect other than his influence on Brian.  The album was mostly produced by Brian and Russ Titleman with co-production by Andy Paley on a few tracks and Lenny Waronker on "Rio Grande".  Jeff Lynne produced "Let It Shine".  The synth-heavy sound of the album had nothing to do with Brian's condition or Landy's influence, it's simply just a product of its time.

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »

Leave
the
plastic
synth
ALONE ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »

There's something to the idea of doing alternate versions of some of those songs in a less bombastic, 80s synth-heavy sound. The two '88 tracks on the IJWMFTT soundtrack are an example of that. I quite like the IJWMFTT tracks and their sound; just wish different backing vocals could be grafted on somehow.

Remakes might be interesting. Trying to make them sound like "Pet Sounds"-era productions would be weird, though. I'm actually not a big fan of when Brian tries to ape that '65/'66 sound. Sounds too contrived to me (sometimes). The plinky baritone guitars and excessive clinky percussion, sparse drums, etc. Not always a fan of when Brian does that now. Worked perfectly back in that actual 60s timeframe.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »

Let's complete the circle----re-release the un-remastered 1988 version of BRIAN WILSON. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »

It would indeed be nice - certainly something I've fantasized about - but probably a waste of time at the end of the day. I'd prefer more original material rather than another cover album.

Besides, I think the biggest problem with the album isn't the production (which does sound ugly in places, although I really rather like how grandiose the arrangements are, and you can forgive it as a product of its time), it's just that the material is kinda scattershot. If every song were as good as the first four, even with the same sound intact, we'd still have a stone cold classic.

I'm with sweetdudejim anyway really, it is what it is and I love it despite its flaws.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 09:20:56 AM »

What I've never liked about the album was the way Brian's voice sounded at that time, the tone of his voice , his style of singing, whatever you want to call it. I know it's has been referred to as "shouty Brian". It was almost as if he forgot how to sing at that point. The beauty was gone from his voice.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »

Brian was singing a lot better on that album than he had in a long time - just compare his vocals on BW88 with his work on 15BO or LY. The synths? Brian and the guys he was working with - including Gary Usher - were trying to bring him into the 80's. They tried it on BB85, and they try it on BW88. The goal was to have some hit records, get some radio airplay. If Brian had come out with an album in 1988 recorded the way PS was, the reviews would have been "well isn't this quaint, Brian is trying to recapture his past". It would have been a lot less commercial than what was released; that approach might have worked for a rockabilly or traditionalist band like Los Lobos or Marshall Crenshaw; wasn't going to work for Brian Wilson. Even bands that claimed a lot of influence from the 60's - the Bangles - ended up going the synth heavy route.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »

Let's complete the circle - BDW should go back in the studio and rerecord Pet Sounds with acoustic guitars and pitch correction, just like it was originally envisioned.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

BW88 is great the way it is. I'm glad not every single BW solo record follows the same old Pet Sounds/Summer Days sound palette gone MOR or Adult Contemporary. That's why I also really like Orange Crate Art, despite its many flaws. It was different.
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

Rather than re-recording BW88, and essentially covering himself yet again, how about a tour in 2018 to mark the 30th Anniversary where he and his band perform the album?

Tom Waits was immune to the 80's production style (ex. swordfishtrombones and rain dogs)
KDS
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »

Tom Waits was immune to the 80's production style (ex. swordfishtrombones and rain dogs)

You're right, I shouldn't have said everybody went all in on 1980s production. 

AC/DC sure didn't. 

Depending on the band/artist, some are better at adapting to the 80s sound, and it doesn't sound so synthetic.  ie. Van Halen incorporated synths, but really just used them as an extension of their sound. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 01:35:22 PM »

BW88 is great the way it is. I'm glad not every single BW solo record follows the same old Pet Sounds/Summer Days sound palette gone MOR or Adult Contemporary. That's why I also really like Orange Crate Art, despite its many flaws. It was different.

OCA should be re recorded if anything is.  Lovely songs but too many of them suffer from the "Mickey Mouse with a sore throat" effect.    Imagine the title cut resung by Brian in his current natural voice.    Much better.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »

And the '80s sounds are not necessarily because of Landy. I'm sure Brian had quite a lot to do with it.

Totally agree...partly because it was the sound of the times.....and also because of what I was told in the mid-90s when I was lamenting opnline how it seems that the stuff Brian had been doing -- the '88 album, Sweet Insanity, the random tribute album contributions, etc. -- had been all synths, and how I wish that Brian would just once have actual instruments and musicians. Then-fan club president Lauri Klobas [RIP] said fat chance, that Brian liked using synths and other stuff because then he didn't have to hire extra musicians, he could just sequence everything himself and be done with it.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »

You're right, I shouldn't have said everybody went all in on 1980s production. 

AC/DC sure didn't. 

Depending on the band/artist, some are better at adapting to the 80s sound, and it doesn't sound so synthetic.  ie. Van Halen incorporated synths, but really just used them as an extension of their sound. 

AC/DC most definitely went 80s on Fly on the Wall and the new stuff on Who Made Who. Not many synths, obviously, but they've got the gated drums, vocals sounding like they were recorded in a cavern, and that big echoey, tinny sound.

Those records would have sounded better with different production choices, but Brian Wilson '88? That's perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »

I think pop artists, as opposed to hard rock, or roots artists, were expected to go the synth route in the 80s/90s. It's not like you were going to hear Johnny Cash or Rick Nelson recording with drum machines and synths, but I'm sure it seemed a natural direction for the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson to go.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »

I think pop artists, as opposed to hard rock, or roots artists, were expected to go the synth route in the 80s/90s. It's not like you were going to hear Johnny Cash or Rick Nelson recording with drum machines and synths, but I'm sure it seemed a natural direction for the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson to go.
And of course what was then termed "alternative."
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »

Technically, isn't the released version the "un-Landy" version? Rumors abound of a Landy mix of the album that reportedly elicited laughter from people.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »

True, dat.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 07:02:12 AM »

Aren't some of the Landy versions of songs on the Come Back Brian boot?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »

Yes Smiley And what was called alternative became the mainstream.  Roll Eyes
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »

Yes Smiley And what was called alternative became the mainstream.  Roll Eyes
Absolutely true.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx