gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:00:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs From Here And Back - Anybody else notice......  (Read 4779 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »

Anybody else notice on LDC on Songs From Here And Back that the first couple of words of Mike's lead vocal are sung by someone else. The "Well I'm Not Braggin" part.

Bob Flory
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:38:41 AM »

and unless I've not looked hard enough, the credits for the live tracks list every darned musician except... the Beach Boys. When and where were they recorded, and with which line-up?  I'd be happy to be corrected...

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 03:02:36 AM »

and unless I've not looked hard enough, the credits for the live tracks list every darned musician except... the Beach Boys. When and where were they recorded, and with which line-up?  I'd be happy to be corrected...

"GV" & "WIBN" recorded fall 1974, LA, rest recorded fall 1989, LA.

1974 core band - Carl, Dennis, Alan, Mike & Ricky:

1989 core band - Brian, Carl, Alan, Mike & Bruce.

Work out the others for yourself - easy enough.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 10:51:30 AM »

I finally bought this CD.  It was reduced to $5.50 with no additional purchase necessary  at my local Hallmark store.  If you don't have it, now might be the time to snap one up.

I enjoyed the live stuff, the new stuff less, and was surprised  that I actually liked Mike's new contribution.

The vocals are confusing.  From time to time I can not tell who is singing, especially on the falsetto parts.  Do I hear a Jardine or two performing these parts?

My favorite cut has to be Dance Dance Dance.

The whole thing makes me want to go on a massive search for live boots. 

Or Bri and the record company/s could make some additional live material  legally available.

Their choice.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »

Anybody else notice on LDC on Songs From Here And Back that the first couple of words of Mike's lead vocal are sung by someone else. The "Well I'm Not Braggin" part.

Bob Flory

That's Mike singing. It sounds like he re-recorded his lead vocal in the studio. It is even more noticeable when you watch the 1989 Endless Summer TV show. When he does this, his voice appears to get lower, and he loses some of the nasal tone. "Dance Dance Dance" also sounds like it has a re-recorded lead. I'm not sure about "I Get Around".

To address Donald's post, the falsetto on the 1989 songs appear to be done exclusively by Jeff Foskett. There might be some Bruce falsetto, but it's hard to tell; he's usually "under-volumed" live...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »

"Dance Dance Dance" also sounds like it has a re-recorded lead.

Nope - it really was that good.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 09:01:57 AM »

That was a very definitive "Nope". Are you going by your ears, or do you have some inside info?  police
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 12:22:39 PM »

That was a very definitive "Nope". Are you going by your ears, or do you have some inside info?  police

Yup.  Cool

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 01:19:23 PM »

I will defer to AGD's inside info source (I'm taking a wild guess that it would be either Boyd or Linett, since they actually handled and examined the tapes specifically for this release), but to me the "DDD" lead vocal sounds different not so much because of the quality of Mike's voice, but simply the overall ambience of that lead vocal track as compared to the music and to some of the other lead vocals sounds so different.

Was "DDD" aired during the TV series? I can't remember. If it was, and if there was an overdubbed lead vocal used for the TV airing, then there might be a few instances where the mouth doesn't match the words exactly. If we had an audience recording of the show, it would make it easier to compare if the actual live lead vocal matched what is on the Hallmark CD.

We do know there was some overdub/pre-recorded work done for that TV series, especially for those "Club Kokomo" segments during which we hear clearly new recordings of the songs, but the band is clearly miming to those new recordings. I don't think there was any miming at that actual Universal Amphitheater concert, but there were several cues on both the Hallmark CD and the actual TV show that indicated to me that some post-production work was done. I assumed that if any post-production work was done that made it onto the Hallmark CD, it was work done back in 1989 for the TV series.

There are a few people who swear they hear pitch-correction on lead vocals on several archival BB releases including the Hallmark CD and the Kneborth releases. I don't hear that, but I suppose that's an alternate explanation for a few of the lead vocals that do carry a different ambience, if nothing was "overdubbed."

I remember sources with seemingly "inside" info who swore that there was never any doubling of Brian's leads on "Live at the Roxy", even though there are clearly two voices singing on "The Little Girl I Once Knew."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 01:30:59 PM »

I remember sources with seemingly "inside" info who swore that there was never any doubling of Brian's leads on "Live at the Roxy", even though there are clearly two voices singing on "The Little Girl I Once Knew."

Maybe "The Little Girl" on the "Roxy" CD has a doubled lead vocal because Jeffrey is doubling Brian's lead, not 'cause Brian doubled it later in the studio?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:54:49 PM »

Maybe "The Little Girl" on the "Roxy" CD has a doubled lead vocal because Jeffrey is doubling Brian's lead, not 'cause Brian doubled it later in the studio?

True, but there's at least one song on that CD where you can hear Brian doubling himself.

And don't forget, the Roxy was booked for three nights - first two for the shows, the third for 'sweetening'.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »

I always thought Brian re-recorded most, if not all of his leads for the Roxy CD - I've never heard him sing that well in concert.   Especially songs like This Whole World and Don't Worry Baby.

I can definitely hear the doubled lead on the bass part in Good Vibrations.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »

Speaking of Roxy and DWB...

It's a great take of the song except for the Vegas-style "Thank you" after the first line which sounds as if it was lifted from later in the song.   *bleh*

Live should be live with minimal sweetning when necessary

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 06:09:59 PM »

I always thought Brian re-recorded most, if not all of his leads for the Roxy CD - I've never heard him sing that well in concert.   Especially songs like This Whole World and Don't Worry Baby.

Do you know how sad that is?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 11:42:46 PM »

Why ? I thought everyone realised that long ago, like when the CD was first released... or even earlier, when there was a post on the old Cabinessense board from a band member stating categorically that Brian's keyboard was plugged in on the 1999 tour, and that he was playing it, it was just mixed low. The video from the balcony of the Boston gig proved that if he was playing, he was playing the same chord all night. Same thing with the teleprompters - originally we were told from 'inside' that they were just used for song titles, not the lyrics.

Or earlier still, now I think on it - first time I saw the Imagination video, it was obvious that there was extensive overdubbing (on "In My Room" I hear at least ten voices, including two Brians) and that the closeups and cutins were filmed later. I've no problem with this - standard practise - but I do have a problem with being told something different when the truth is obvious. What Brian has achieved since 1998 is miraculous enough without the window dressing of obfuscation and downright lies. Brian deserves better.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 12:02:47 AM »

Yes, that is Jeff Foskett doubling the lead in places. But the people with "inside" info I was talking about were saying that neither Jeff nor any other band members were doubling Brian's leads, either on the album or at the shows. And clearly Jeff is doubling those lines on the opening song on the live album. Further, I've seen Brian numerous times between 1999 and 2005, and I've seen Jeff Foskett doubling Brian's leads to varying degrees at various points throughout every one of those concerts. Similar to what AGD says, I say it's no big deal if they do whatever they want with the live shows or live CD/DVD releases, but the denials from various people at various points is a bit strange, especially concerning the things AGD was talking about, like Brian's keyboard being unplugged, which didn't even need a camcorder video to prove considering it was blatantly obvious to crowds at every show; you could even tell without seeing the keys that Brian wasn't moving his hands across the keys at any point. The teleprompter was even more obvious. At one of the Brian shows I saw (I believe it was the first BW solo show I saw in 1999), Brian was so glued to reading the lyrics off the teleprompter that, during one song when the wrong lyrics from a different song were displayed by mistake, Brian actually started singing the lyrics from the different song! I can't recall for sure, but I think he was trying to sing the lyrics to "Love and Mercy" to some other song.

I'm just always just a bit skeptical by nature when questions about CD releases come up and there are immediate denials of what the fans think they are hearing. I remember when I bought the BW '88 CD reissue, I took it home and within not even a full listen one time through, I could tell the wrong mixes had been used for several of the songs. Other fans heard the same thing, and the fans were initially told they were wrong. Soon after, it was admitted that the fans were right.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 04:14:31 AM »

Well, I don't care for teleprompters; many people use them, even Macca as I heard.
Listen to "In my room", the audience kinda fades in at the end, so I think this might be done completely on the third night.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »

Why ? I thought everyone realised that long ago, like when the CD was first released... or even earlier, when there was a post on the old Cabinessense board from a band member stating categorically that Brian's keyboard was plugged in on the 1999 tour, and that he was playing it, it was just mixed low. The video from the balcony of the Boston gig proved that if he was playing, he was playing the same chord all night. Same thing with the teleprompters - originally we were told from 'inside' that they were just used for song titles, not the lyrics.

Or earlier still, now I think on it - first time I saw the Imagination video, it was obvious that there was extensive overdubbing (on "In My Room" I hear at least ten voices, including two Brians) and that the closeups and cutins were filmed later. I've no problem with this - standard practise - but I do have a problem with being told something different when the truth is obvious. What Brian has achieved since 1998 is miraculous enough without the window dressing of obfuscation and downright lies. Brian deserves better.

I don't think your post addresses what I was talking about at all, Andrew. What I was calling sad was that Brian's vox on that disc were the best that poster had ever heard from him. I thought so because, first of all, Brian once was one of the most miraculously gifted pop singers ever, and second, because I think the Roxy performance isn't a very good Brian vocal, sweetened or not. I can say I thought he was MUCH stronger in the Minneapolis SMiLE performance, for example.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »

I don't think your post addresses what I was talking about at all, Andrew. What I was calling sad was that Brian's vox on that disc were the best that poster had ever heard from him. I thought so because, first of all, Brian once was one of the most miraculously gifted pop singers ever, and second, because I think the Roxy performance isn't a very good Brian vocal, sweetened or not. I can say I thought he was MUCH stronger in the Minneapolis SMiLE performance, for example.

Dude, I was referring to BW present day - I obviously don't think those are his best vocals ever. Cmon man.  BW circa early '70's and before is a totally different animal. 

I still think BW never sang that good in concert consistantly.  Not just in nailing the parts, but also in tone.    After seeing him once or twice, THEN hearing the CD.. it was like "wow - how come he never sings this good when I see him?"  Needless to say I've seen him many times since and it's never been THAT good. (Not to say his performences weren't good)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 09:39:33 AM »

Dude, I was referring to BW present day - I obviously don't think those are his best vocals ever. Cmon man.  BW circa early '70's and before is a totally different animal. 

I still think BW never sang that good in concert consistantly.  Not just in nailing the parts, but also in tone.    After seeing him once or twice, THEN hearing the CD.. it was like "wow - how come he never sings this good when I see him?"  Needless to say I've seen him many times since and it's never been THAT good. (Not to say his performences weren't good)

I knew what you meant. I just don't think Brian's vox--even for present-era--were very good on Roxy.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 11:22:09 AM »

I knew what you meant. I just don't think Brian's vox--even for present-era--were very good on Roxy.

Just listened again to a lot of "Roxy"...some good vocals IMO, like "Night Time", "This Isn't Love", "Add Some Music", "Kiss Me Baby", "'Til I Die"...but "This Whole World" is VERY lame, unfortunately.  Which begs the question:  if Brian DID re-do some of his vocals in the studio later, WHY not that one?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx