gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:04:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Emitt Rhodes Album  (Read 3786 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/emittrhodes
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »

Also Probyn Gregory and Nelson Bragg are playing on it
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:45:58 PM »

Very Good News.  He's been working on this, what?  About five years, only releasing a few tracks on I-tunes (I won't go there).  I hope I don't have to join some club to get it.  This should be made available everywhere.

He still sounds really in good voice.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »

Here's one of the new songs: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/11/12/emitt-rhodes-returns-after-four-decades-with-dog-on-a-chain-exclusive-song/

Emitt's early 70s stuff is great but I'm not particularly taken with ‘Dog on a Chain’. Will check the album out anyway, in any case it's amazing to see him back.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »

Very Good News.  He's been working on this, what?  About five years, only releasing a few tracks on I-tunes (I won't go there).  I hope I don't have to join some club to get it.  This should be made available everywhere.

Omnivore is putting it out early 2016.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

Should listen to this interview
http://youtu.be/PfqEhZO7I3w
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »

The handful of songs put out on iTunes a few years back are apparently from a different project/producer than this new stuff. The producer of the new stuff has posted a few times over at the Hoffman board; mentioning that he feels the new stuff is different and better.

This new song sounds okay. A good album track. Simple but catchy chord changes and whatnot. I've heard some people say his voice sounds totally different. I actually think it's very recognizable as Emitt Rhodes; it's just deeper. Considering 42 years have past since most people last heard much from him, his voice sounds surprisingly strong.

I think his first 1970 albums is brilliant, almost track-to-track. The second and third are more esoteric and somewhat different, with a handful of good tracks on each.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »

Here's one of the new songs: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/11/12/emitt-rhodes-returns-after-four-decades-with-dog-on-a-chain-exclusive-song/

Emitt's early 70s stuff is great but I'm not particularly taken with ‘Dog on a Chain’. Will check the album out anyway, in any case it's amazing to see him back.

Judd,  Thanks for the link.  I do like the song.  When he sang the line with the word "sacrifice," it reminded me of "Warm Self Sacrifice."  His vocal is very good to hear again in such quality.  He's had a lot of health issues over the years.  Okay, so he's not going to try to do it alone.  That's just fine with me.  I used to have his SoundCloud on my favorites list.  I'll have to look through and see if I can find it to see if it is still functional.  I've been mostly following his progress on the few fan sites he has, and he has a facebook page.

Terry,  Omnivore is a perfect choice for this project.  They did a great job with Alex Chilton's 1970's Sessions.  Tho I thought they, like Ace, were only dealing with re-issues.  In fact looking at the disc, Ace had something to do with that one.  With Omnivore involved we can be confident it will sound good.

Hey Jude,  Do you have a link to the SHF thread?  There was some live stuff awhile back that was on youtube, but his singing is much better on this new track.  I don't think his voice sounds totally different.  It's a bit deeper, reminding me a bit like Jackson Browne in places.  I can't wait to get my hands on this.

As far as his earlier music.  I have been a fan since the 60's.  I actually have both the original and re-issue of the Merry-Go-Round vinyl.  The four albums on vinyl, including promo copies of the last two.  Almost every Cd comp, including the Everything he did one.  Even the Japanese releases could be bettered.  Emitt wants the opportunity to have a go at re-mastering them himself.  Wish they would let him.

I've never heard anything by him I didn't like.  He was, and now is again, a major talent.  btw, I don't consider the 1970 his first.  Emitt might, but many of the tracks are not just Merry-Go outtakes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:30:42 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »

Judd,  Thanks for the link.  I do like the song.  When he sang the line with the word "sacrifice," it reminded me of "Warm Self Sacrifice."  His vocal is very good to hear again in such quality.  He's had a lot of health issues over the years.  Okay, so he's not going to try to do it alone.  That's just fine with me.  I used to have his SoundCloud on my favorites list.  I'll have to look through and see if I can find it to see if it is still functional.  I've been mostly following his progress on the few fan sites he has, and he has a facebook page.

Terry,  Omnivore is a perfect choice for this project.  They did a great job with Alex Chilton's 1970's Sessions.  Tho I thought they, like Ace, were only dealing with re-issues.  In fact looking at the disc, Ace had something to do with that one.  With Omnivore involved we can be confident it will sound good.

Hey Jude,  Do you have a link to the SHF thread?  There was some live stuff awhile back that was on youtube, but his singing is much better on this new track.  I don't think his voice sounds totally different.  It's a bit deeper, reminding me a bit like Jackson Browne in places.  I can't wait to get my hands on this.

As far as his earlier music.  I have been a fan since the 60's.  I actually have both the original and re-issue of the Merry-Go-Round vinyl.  The four albums on vinyl, including promo copies of the last two.  Almost every Cd comp, including the Everything he did one.  Even the Japanese releases could be bettered.  Emitt wants the opportunity to have a go at re-mastering them himself.  Wish they would let him.

I've never heard anything by him I didn't like.  He was, and now is again, a major talent.  btw, I don't consider the 1970 his first.  Emitt might, but many of the tracks are not just Merry-Go outtakes.

Omnivore has been dipping their toes in non-reissues this year...the new Pugwash record they put it is great!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 11:03:36 PM »

The handful of songs put out on iTunes a few years back are apparently from a different project/producer than this new stuff. The producer of the new stuff has posted a few times over at the Hoffman board; mentioning that he feels the new stuff is different and better.

This new song sounds okay. A good album track. Simple but catchy chord changes and whatnot. I've heard some people say his voice sounds totally different. I actually think it's very recognizable as Emitt Rhodes; it's just deeper. Considering 42 years have past since most people last heard much from him, his voice sounds surprisingly strong.

I think his first 1970 albums is brilliant, almost track-to-track. The second and third are more esoteric and somewhat different, with a handful of good tracks on each.
I only have the first two, but I think they are both excellent self produced/played albums. Catchy melodies that really stay with you; some nice guitar work on there, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »

Here's the thread from the Hoffman forum. There are a few posts in it from producer Chris Price.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-emitt-rhodes-rainbow-ends-coming.478850/

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »

Very Good News.  He's been working on this, what?  About five years, only releasing a few tracks on I-tunes (I won't go there).  I hope I don't have to join some club to get it.  This should be made available everywhere.

I only have the first two, but I think they are both excellent self produced/played albums. Catchy melodies that really stay with you; some nice guitar work on there, too.

If you like "Mirror", I would think you'll like "Farewell to Paradise."

I think it was Rhino that put out a 2-CD set of all four of his albums (including the pre-self titled "American Dream" album) a few years back. I think the CD set might be out of print, but it's still available via download.

After I heard the self-titled album and found how good it was, I sought out his other stuff, including the Merry-Go-Round stuff. Nothing quite matched the self-titled album, but I found good stuff sprinkled throughout.

There was a documentary made about him a few years ago titled "One Man Beatles", but I don't think it has ever been seen outside of film festival screenings and whatnot.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:09:16 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »

Very Good News.  He's been working on this, what?  About five years, only releasing a few tracks on I-tunes (I won't go there).  I hope I don't have to join some club to get it.  This should be made available everywhere.

If you like "Mirror", I would think you'll like "Farewell to Paradise."

I think it was Rhino that put out a 2-CD set of all four of his albums (including the pre-self titled "American Dream" album) a few years back. I think the CD set might be out of print, but it's still available via download.

After I heard the self-titled album and found how good it was, I sought out his other stuff, including the Merry-Go-Round stuff. Nothing quite matched the self-titled album, but I found good stuff sprinkled throughout.

There was a documentary made about him a few years ago titled "One Man Beatles", but I don't think it has ever been seen outside of film festival screenings and whatnot.
I can't complain, I paid $1 and $2 for the 2 albums. Wonder if the doc is on youtube? The only "one man Beatles" I know is Stevie Riks Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »

I can't complain, I paid $1 and $2 for the 2 albums. Wonder if the doc is on youtube? The only "one man Beatles" I know is Stevie Riks Smiley

I don't think the "One Man Beatles" doc ever made it onto the net. It was screened publically, but for whatever reason never issued on DVD or VOD or anything. I would guess music clearances are the main reason, but there's very little info on the film. It was being screened back in 2010, so it's at least that old and probably a little older. Looks like there's a Facebook page for the film, but not activity in over two years.

Perhaps with the new Rhodes album, there might be renewed interest by some company in funding a home video release of the doc. Or perhaps they'd want to re-cut the doc to include mention of his new album.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »

I'm a big [gigantic]  fan.  Have been since I was in college [early 70s]  used to have all 3 vinyl lps then I got a cd compilation a few years back...maybe 10?  Rhodes was...and I would think still is...WAY more talented than he ever got credit for.  He should have been a super-star.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »

Thanks for the SHF link Hey Jude.  I read the thread, and found that the 2011 tracks Emitt made with Thompson and the Bangles are on Spotify.  I don't need i-tunes.  Files have a place in my life, but if I like something, I buy it on disc.  I came to know Spotify only through a thread some of us were doing a while back.

I listened to each one a couple of times.  These must not be the Rhodes approved mixes.  I remember that was one of his gripes about releasing the tracks.  He wants a shot at re-mastering his catalogue too.  He tried to get in on the deal when Hip-O Select was putting the 2-disc Recordings (1969-1973) together in 2009.  Can't believe they have let that go out of print.  And, ouch! - that has got to be pricey.  It's nice to know he is getting paid for plays on the I-tunes and Spotify sites.  He was certainly cheated often with his back catalogue.  According to him, anyway.  Wes did him the biggest favor when he chose to spotlight him in his movie.  That seems to be when he started to get noticed again.

Over the years he must have been absorbing some other influences, cause these tracks sound nothing like McCartney, or The Beatles.  You have to wonder how in the world he met somebody like Richard.  "Just Me and You" reminds me of the New York artist Kenny Rankin, though it opens with a Randy Newman feel.  Thompson adds a blues flavor.  I would have removed the background vocals.  "This Wall Between Us" is my favorite of the three.  It says the Bangles are on this track, but I don't hear them.  The song sounds very close to something from Farewell to Paradise - and who knows, might have been written back then.  I'd like to hear James (or Liv) Taylor take a try at this.  "What's a Man to Do?" - you can hear the Bangles on this.  The song is very sad.  Has a Broadway feel, and wouldn't be out of place on something by Sondheim.  Thinking Company, if you are familiar with that.

I still can't find a link to the Bee Gee's track Emitt made with Chris Price, other than the 30-second clip.  I think I would like it.  I would have to hear more of the album before buying.  Most of the artists on the tribute album are unknown, to me.  As for his old albums, Mirror is my favorite.  They are all great, but that's the one I listen to most often.  Like Add Some said, he should have been a star.  He always will be in my world.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »

"I have to say the things I feel.  I have to feel the things I say."  Emitt Rhodes.  [a different kind of 'Daisy-Fresh' from Hawthorne, California.] Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/12/emitt_rhodes_re.html
Next song from the new album. I reckon this one's a lot better.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx