gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:27:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's best solo moment  (Read 4927 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »

Digging the DE of NPP, and lovely song The Right Time in particular! Just love those ascending falsetto lines in the chorus! Haven't read the liner notes, or listened carefully enough, but can Brian really sing that high now? It's amazing that he can pull off such a song 54 years into his career, the mark of a true genius. He has no competition in music nowadays. Nobody else can record a 16 track no-filler album, it just isn't done! NPP is ace, and The Right Time may be my favorite Brian solo moment!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:36:57 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »

I like The Right Time too, but have to go with Midnight's Another Day as a whole.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »

I like The Right Time too, but have to go with Midnight's Another Day as a whole.

Good choice, too! Very epic and dramatic, the best thing on TLOS.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »

Agreed. Far and away the best solo song.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »

Completing, performing, and releasing such a good version of Smile that it seemed worthy of 37 years of hype seems to me his crowning achievement. But in terms of a new solo song, put me in the MAD camp. Speed Turtle a close second. 😉

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »

Best solo song - "Lay Down Burden"
Best solo vocal - tie between "Heaven" and "Colors Of The Wind"
Best moment(s) - that note near the end of "The First Noel" and the harmonies that follow at the fade-out
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »

Rio Grande is the one I return the most to, but Midnight's Another Day is the one that gets me the most emotional.
KDS
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »

If I had to pick just one....

I know it's still pretty fresh, but my favorite might be Sail Away.  I love hearing Blondie, Al, and Brian on the same track, and it has such a lively joyous sound to it. 
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »

Tough call because he's so diverse...We have the remarkable "Smile" - as was pointed out above - something like that is normally a major disappointment, as people have built the fantasy so large in their heads, but it was a sublime experience to hear completed...dumbfounding.

Then again, over the decades, he's stacked his own vocals so superbly for various artists (my personal favorites are "Adios," "Delirious Love," "Hand on My Shoulder" with Blondie, and "Orange Crate Art" (possibly the train sound on "San Francisco" is my favorite).  I think "Hand on My Shoulder" may win for me in that group, but Brian and Ronstadt?  Jeez!

TLOS and Gershwin were both stunning efforts.

And now we have the Suite from TWGMTR and NPP as the icing on the cake...too many special moments to pick one.  I can't even pick a SONG from the Suite and NPP... 

Do I have to choose?  Brian's work is a series of remarkable moments, so I pick the whole series.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »

Melt Away outro. With the original 1988 unremastered mix. Unbeatable BW solo musical moment, up there with the Til I Die tag.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »

Some great stuff, in there. As far as classics, two I can think of:

Love and Mercy
Midnight's another day

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »

Seeing the world premiere of Smile, and having my two favorite musical obsessions co-mingle..The Brian Wilson Sings Gershwin album Smiley

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »

Agreed-there have been a lot of great moments since 1988.  Which is why I am surprised at how many negative posts always greet new BW releases on this board!  I guess people keep hoping Brian will do Pet Sounds Part II instead of being happy with what we have been offered.  Personally-I think Brian Wilson, Smile 2004 and TLOS are the best Beach Boys related new releases since Love You and Pacific Ocean Blue.  Hell-Imagination is better than Summer in Paradise!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 11:01:41 PM »

If I had to pick just one....

I know it's still pretty fresh, but my favorite might be Sail Away.  I love hearing Blondie, Al, and Brian on the same track, and it has such a lively joyous sound to it. 
I keep thinking of the Sail Away on OCA.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 11:12:04 PM »

MAD and most of the first album, Cry, Lay Down Burden and a few more
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »

Caroline No. The (mostly) dreck he has put out in the last 15 years can't hold a candle to it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »

I agree with the sentiment that there are too many great moments to be able to pick just one.

Favorite album: Orange Crate Art
Best song: Midnight's Another Day
Best tour: BWPS
Best non-album track: What Love Can Do
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »

I'm not familiar enough with Brian's solo career stuff to choose from it, so I'll go with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTifX3mpnV4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »

It is still unreleased - The Paley Sessions. The original crazy You're Still a Mystery is superior to the calm rerecording on Made In California.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »

Agreed. Far and away the best solo song.

This is just an opinion, of course, but an opinion I wholeheartly share. Actually, it is one of the very few tracks with a piano-based arrangement that I truly love listening to, along with REM's "Nightswimming" and the outro music to the Charlie Brown cartoon "He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »

Love &  Mercy is a song that really gets to me . The album Orange Crate Art also affects me the same way .
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 05:27:53 AM »

It is still unreleased - The Paley Sessions. The original crazy You're Still a Mystery is superior to the calm rerecording on Made In California.

Yep That's another one.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 05:48:47 AM »

"San Francisco" - one of my favorite California-based songs. About city that people call "the Paris of America" (heard it said by panelist Martin Gabel in the best game show "What's My Line?"). And ofc new album stuff - Sail Away, Tell Me Why, Don't Worry etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 05:57:11 AM »

"San Francisco" - one of my favorite California-based songs. About city that people call "the Paris of America" (heard it said by panelist Martin Gabel in the best game show "What's My Line?"). And ofc new album stuff - Sail Away, Tell Me Why, Don't Worry etc.

Yay.  A fellow fan of Don't Worry.  I didn't think much of it the first time I heard it, but I like it more each time I hear it.  Just a fun song. 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »

I'm not familiar enough with Brian's solo career stuff to choose from it, so I'll go with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTifX3mpnV4

Agree, as without a doubt mine would be the same choice. Brian at his best via his greatest solo moment imo.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx