gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:51:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Freakin' Wilson  (Read 5455 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »

This guy, Dennis Carl Wilson.

The one guy in the band that surpassed brother/cousin Brian, in terms of songwriting/production.

How fuckin' amazing/tragic was this guy's talent?

Sure, he never attempted to write and produce a Smile album, and he never wrote a Catch A Wave or Fun, Fun, Fun....

Back in the day I would do some crazy "stuff" with friends, and I would make them listen to "River Song" or "Pacific Ocean Blues" or "Sound Of Free", or the instrumental version of "Holy Man".

This guy, man. What the hell kind of wavelengths were the Wilson brothers tapping into.... If Brian Wilson made a deal with the devil for those songs, his brother Dennis was stealing the sounds of angels.....

Can somebody listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3_F8Ll0Lg and not feel some sort of otherworldly influence? f***. So good. SO PERFECT. Truly perfect.

I've always enjoyed the Beach Boys' hit singles, and always been a fan of music that spoke to my soul, but once I heard Billy C. mention the Pacific Ocean Blue album on a different band's completely different forum, I became a fan for life, and to him, I've always been eternally grateful.

So in conclusion,  I leave you with this tune that pulls at your heartstrings more than anything Brian Wilson has sent your way since the Pet Sounds album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPyk0AyFors

No mas, por favor.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »

As good as Dennis was, he only surpassed his brother in terms of songwriting/production once Brian was a drugged out, mentally disturbed wreck.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:48:28 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 12:14:17 AM »

I think it could be argued that Dennis only showed his creative side once he had been given the freedom to. I think the same could be said for Carl, and virtually all of the members of the group. Once Brian relinquished his role as "leader" in the group(whether willingly or otherwise), it gave everybody a chance to have a bigger creative role in the group, or as a songwriter/musician in their own right. I often wonder, in an alternate reality scenario, what would have happened if Brian had been his old 1966-67 self, mentially and creativity wise, when Dennis released Pacific Ocean Blue in 1978. It would have been interesting, to say the least.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:06:01 AM »

I think that Dennis surpassed Brian in capturing the emotion in music. I still think the creativity of Smile for 66 and 67 was more ahead of its time than anything Dennis did. Not to take anything away from Dennis. Nor anything away from Brian on the emotional end.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »

I think that Dennis surpassed Brian in capturing the emotion in music. I still think the creativity of Smile for 66 and 67 was more ahead of its time than anything Dennis did. Not to take anything away from Dennis. Nor anything away from Brian on the emotional end.
I'd agree with this.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »

I think it could be argued that Dennis only showed his creative side once he had been given the freedom to. I think the same could be said for Carl, and virtually all of the members of the group. Once Brian relinquished his role as "leader" in the group(whether willingly or otherwise), it gave everybody a chance to have a bigger creative role in the group, or as a songwriter/musician in their own right. I often wonder, in an alternate reality scenario, what would have happened if Brian had been his old 1966-67 self, mentially and creativity wise, when Dennis released Pacific Ocean Blue in 1978. It would have been interesting, to say the least.  Grin
Rather than them being held back by a lack of freedom under Brian's leadership, the same facts could be interpreted that they were still growing and not yet ready until the latter part of the 60's. After all, Carl was just 20 in '66 and Dennis' interest seems to have developed over time.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:07:33 AM »

Its a pity when you sit and wonder what else Dennis could've accomplished had his demons not gotten the best of him. 

He wrote some high quality material with TBB, starting with Little Bird.  And POB is one of the more consistent solo records by any of the Boys.  Sadly, we'll never know what he could've accomplished. 

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »

I think it's amazing that Dennis was able to emerge, against all odds, as the other songwriting talent in the Wilson brothers, if only for one shining moment.  It's sad that we'll never know what he was capable of, had he not been in the throes of his own downward spiral.

But, I don't think Dennis' brief emergence in any way eclipsed or surpassed Brian at his peak. Brian changed the course of pop music three times: first, with the creation of the California sound in the early hits, second with the musical innovation of Pet Sounds, and third with the modular production approach to Good Vibrations. Brian Wilson, at his creative peak, was an innovator. POB is raw, edgy and emotionally honest, and that definitely wasn't Beach Boy territory. It wasn't necessarily unheard of, either.  I don't think Dennis was held back by Brian, either. Instead, I think he learned from his older brother. Remember, when the band was formed, Dennis didn't even know how to play drums and had to be taught by Brian. There are also some Brian influences in POB, with the choice of instrumentation and layered vocals. Little Brother was growing and learning while he was in the Beach Boys, and when the time was right was able to make some very good, honest music. It's too bad certain band elements, and his own excesses, pushed that talent out of the way. It deserved to grow and be heard.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:14:32 AM by Cyncie » Logged
KDS
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »

Although not regarded as a great movie by any means, I thought one of the highlights of American Family was when Dennis was playing Forever to Murry over the phone, and it moved Murry to tears. 
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »

I love Dennis's music like the rest of you.  I REALLY don't understand the need to compare him to his brother Brian.  Dennis was the first to speak of Brian's unsurpassed gifts and never wavered from that view.  I respect him enough, in addition to my own ear, to enjoy both without needing to compare.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for Denny's emotional intensity.  Often, I'm in the mood for Brian's transcendent brilliance.  They're both about love, so why compare?  Good for them for their powerful effect on all of us.  If there is a thin veil between those who have passed on and those still here, I'd imagine Dennis and Carl are both thrilled that brother Brian is creating new stuff with dignity, grace and love.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »

I think Dennis used what he learned from watching and listening to Brian and others to create music that had many of the same adornments as "Beach Boys music" but rested upon drastically different underpinnings.

Although I am enamored with his music, I don't think he ever had or would ever have the capability to produce a truly massive hit song. He's made some rock solid classics that will never get the respect they deserve, but the appeal is just too...

I feel like only girls who like rugged, romantic, hairy 70s dudes and guys who wish they were rugged, romantic dudes (I could do with less hair) are ever going to get it. Or something.  dennis
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »

I love Dennis's music like the rest of you.  I REALLY don't understand the need to compare him to his brother Brian.  Dennis was the first to speak of Brian's unsurpassed gifts and never wavered from that view.  I respect him enough, in addition to my own ear, to enjoy both without needing to compare.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for Denny's emotional intensity.  Often, I'm in the mood for Brian's transcendent brilliance.  They're both about love, so why compare?  Good for them for their powerful effect on all of us.  If there is a thin veil between those who have passed on and those still here, I'd imagine Dennis and Carl are both thrilled that brother Brian is creating new stuff with dignity, grace and love.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Both about love, but Brian's music has a spirituality that few could match, including little brother(s).
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »

I agree with that.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »

He's the most talented racist in The Beach Boys!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

He's the most talented racist in The Beach Boys!

But was he the most racist talent in the Beach Boys?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »

I've been listening to a lot of Dennis lately, man did he have a knack for wiring a heartbreaking tune,

More than any artist I'm aware of his cannon of music..minus a few songs requires a certain mood to listen to.

Some really emotional devastating songs.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »

Being a young'un back in the summer of 2001, I randomly picked up the Sunflower and Surf's Up twofer on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. It was the album that made me the fan I am today. Dennis' songs were the ones that stuck out for me and have ever since. A few months later I snagged a copy of Pacific Ocean Blue and was just blown away.

The dude made some amazing music. He was almost as talented as Brian. The sheer honesty of his music is unmatched.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »

This guy, Dennis Carl Wilson.

The one guy in the band that surpassed brother/cousin Brian, in terms of songwriting/production.

Oh, hell no!  Not even close!  Brian's creative credits would fill the rest of this page, and then some, easily.  Dennis was a very, very talented guy....he could have accomplished anything he wanted to in a big way.  The problem is, he apparently didn't know what he wanted.  It was all merely potential.  The guy needed some serious focus. 
rogerlancelot
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »

I still find it tragic that Dennis couldn't get it together to complete his early 1970's album project Dennis Wilson Poops. I wonder how many songs were close to completion before donating a couple of songs to So Tough and flushing all the rest away?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »

I still find it tragic that Dennis couldn't get it together to complete his early 1970's album project Dennis Wilson Poops. I wonder how many songs were close to completion before donating a couple of songs to So Tough and flushing all the rest away?

If I'm remembering correctly Stephen Desper said something along the lines of '90% of it was 90% finished'. Could there be a long lost early 70s Dennis Wilson solo record sitting a shelf gathering dust somewhere?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »

I think it's amazing that Dennis was able to emerge, against all odds, as the other songwriting talent in the Wilson brothers, if only for one shining moment.  It's sad that we'll never know what he was capable of, had he not been in the throes of his own downward spiral.

But, I don't think Dennis' brief emergence in any way eclipsed or surpassed Brian at his peak. Brian changed the course of pop music three times: first, with the creation of the California sound in the early hits, second with the musical innovation of Pet Sounds, and third with the modular production approach to Good Vibrations. Brian Wilson, at his creative peak, was an innovator. POB is raw, edgy and emotionally honest, and that definitely wasn't Beach Boy territory. It wasn't necessarily unheard of, either.  I don't think Dennis was held back by Brian, either. Instead, I think he learned from his older brother. Remember, when the band was formed, Dennis didn't even know how to play drums and had to be taught by Brian. There are also some Brian influences in POB, with the choice of instrumentation and layered vocals. Little Brother was growing and learning while he was in the Beach Boys, and when the time was right was able to make some very good, honest music. It's too bad certain band elements, and his own excesses, pushed that talent out of the way. It deserved to grow and be heard.

I would argue a 4th. All be it a stretch that this album was not commercially successful, but Love You was new wave before there was new wave.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 02:12:47 AM »

If I'm remembering correctly Stephen Desper said something along the lines of '90% of it was 90% finished'. Could there be a long lost early 70s Dennis Wilson solo record sitting a shelf gathering dust somewhere?

Nope - according to SWD when l asked him back in 1985, most of what he did with Dennis ended up on POB.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 02:32:57 AM »

But in re-recorded form, yes?

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

Pretty sure Dennis would be the first to admit that he had not surpassed Brian in terms of songwriting, production or emotion.

I think Dennis was pretty great in his own "write", but this is simply a manner of quality and quantity (Brian) surpassing quality and lack of quantity (Dennis).

I kind of think of him as Dave Davies to Ray Davies, another "secondary" band member who was prodigiously talented but never got his true chance to shine, whatever the reasons.

Maybe potentially Dennis could have surpassed Brian...but alas, we will never get the opportunity to know that.

But beyond that, lets just love 'em both.  No need to downgrade either one.  Both great in their own way.

Though it is true that Dennis never got the credit due him both during his lifetime and after his passing.  Sad but true.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

But in re-recorded form, yes?

I think so, yes. Take the opening of "River Song" - it was part of the "Ecology" suite of Dennis' that SWD recorded in 1970. But it was incorporated into "River Song", which was recorded from scratch at Brother by Moffitt, in late '73 or early '74, then overdubbed again and again over the next few years.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx