gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:56:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Belles of Paris  (Read 2693 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I've played Belles of Paris a few times today. It helps to hear a nice song about Paris in an awful time like this.

Speaking of the song, I really think it's underrated. MIU has its haters, but flawed as it is, I'm not one of them. In particular, this song, while it has its cheesy parts, is still a fun listen. I like when Mike sings in the lower tone like this, and the melodies are nice. Give it a listen today, it might cheer you up just a bit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:09:21 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »

Rather coincidentally, I was listening to MIU last night and happened to be on Belles of Paris right when I read the news. 

Once you accept that MIU is by no means any sort of artistic achievement, it's a fine album.  It has its highs and lows just like any other Beach Boys album. 

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »

Rather coincidentally, I was listening to MIU last night and happened to be on Belles of Paris right when I read the news. 

That must have been SUPER weird.
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I've played Belles of Paris a few times today. It helps to hear a nice song about Paris in an awful time like this.

Speaking of the song, I really think it's underrated. MIU has its haters, but flawed as it is, I'm not one of them. In particular, this song, while it has its cheesy parts, is still a fun listen. I like when Mike sings in the lower tone like this, and the melodies are nice. Give it a listen today, it might cheer you up just a bit.

I like it too, Mike's vocals are all strong on MIU. The Christmas version has the far superior lyrics, but I'm not sure why Al's singing it. He does a fair Mike impression but why not just have Mike?
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »

I like it too, Mike's vocals are all strong on MIU. The Christmas version has the far superior lyrics, but I'm not sure why Al's singing it. He does a fair Mike impression but why not just have Mike?

Not to mention Brian's vocals on MIU are superb.  In some parts he comes very close to sounding like his old self again.

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »

I think MIU is what the BBs could have reasonably been expected to sound like in 1978 if you had just listened to All Summer Long upon its release in 1964, and had no idea what was about to come.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »

Given what was happening behind the scenes at the time, it sounds better than could reasonably be expected... but the songwriting really wasn't there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:35:15 AM »

Actually, "Woncha Come Out Tonight", "She's Got Rhythm" and "Pitter Patter" are my favorite post-Sunflower 70s Beach Boys tunes. You don't hear the friction behind the scenes there at all. I like the snare drum sound on that LP, too.

"Belles Of Paris" is a song though that makes me somehow think of the Muppet Show, probably for sonic reasons, as that show was made in the same era.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 06:58:33 AM »

"Belles Of Paris" is a song though that makes me somehow think of the Muppet Show, probably for sonic reasons, as that show was made in the same era.

The backing vocals in the NPP version of "Love And Mercy" remind me of a Muppet chorus, lol.

That said, that album is growing on me. In fact I'd say that if TWGMTR is wide-screen, NPP is a collection of miniatures----probably just me. And way off topic. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »

In my opinion, Belles of Paris is a solid work of art. Maybe not to the level of Pet Sounds or Smile. But it is creative and good for what it is.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KDS
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:46:31 AM »

I think MIU and LA are very underrated Beach Boys albums. 

Belles of Paris would be a very appropriate addition to either Brian's or Mike & Bruce's setlist. 
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »

BOP - what a dreck of a song

The MIU album does have solid winners, PITTER-PATTER my personal favorite followed closely by HEY, LITTLE TOMBOY.  Brians vocals on MATCHPOINT....LOVE and LITTLE GIRL....TONIGHT are excellent, plus everybody loves MY DIANE (don't they?).  I have fond memories of the scant couple times I heard PEGGY SUE over the local radio stations when it was offered as the lead single.  But the subject track offers absolutely nothing not worth skipping over when you play the L.P.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »

I love Pitter Patter but I do not like My Diane.

Boy, I feel like I should apologize after typing that.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »

I think that is one of the interesting thing about the latter-day BBs.  Most fans were in agreement that many of the albums were spotty.  But when they cite which songs they consider to be the best and worst and the albums, there is not a lot of consensus.  One man's fave is another man's bottom of the pile.

Thing about Belles of Paris, whatever you think of it, you can't really say it sounds like any other song you have ever heard.  And lyrically, Matchpoint is such a goofy lyric it never fails to make me laugh...sometimes at it and sometimes with it.  And the fact the ridiculous lyrics are sung with such evident sincerity.  Also it is amusing that apparently with Matchpoint they were attempting to cash in on the pro tennis craze of that time period.  Surfin', hotrods and ....tennis??

It is truly a shame they never "covered" Sidewalk Surfin.  That's another fad they could have leapt onto for fifteen seconds. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »

I love Pitter Patter but I do not like My Diane.

Boy, I feel like I should apologize after typing that.

My Diane is not among my favorite tunes either.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »

As much as I enjoy Brian's leads on MIU, I cringe at most of the background vocals. The BVs on Matchpoint and Belles of Paris are pretty grating and kind of sound half-assed. Pitter Patter teeters on the edge but is saved by being AWESOME.

Is that what happens when Carl isn't in the mix? Was he in any of the harmony stacks of these songs?
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »

even though Dennis really trashes the M.I.U. album in later interviews I'm so glad nevertheless to hear his voice on MY DIANE.  and the way the melody of MD is subtly worked into the arrangement of STEVIE on the Caroline Now! tribute CD is the coolest of cool

that of all the BB tribute CD's is far and away the best in my strong opinion
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »

Poor song, though not the worst) from a poor album - arguably not as bad as KTSA or SIP. There are three songs I like: Pitter Patter, My Diane and (whisper it) Winds of Change. The oldies are efficient but shouldn't be necessary. I can just about take Why Doncha in the same way I can just about take It's Okay and the title track on KTSA.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx