gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:57:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: P. F. Sloan - another one gone.  (Read 2333 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »

Last night, pancreatic cancer. Damn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc6pqjQFrdM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:41:32 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »

One of his classics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9bSdP7KVc
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 02:45:51 PM »

Very sad news. I remember him fondly through The Fantastic Baggys. A big leap from those days to Eve Of Destruction just a few years later. Penned some great songs; On A Quiet Night and Take Me For What I'm Worth spring to mind.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »

Did sterling work with Jan and Dean, the Turtles, the Mamas and the Papas, and the Grassroots, among others, before having an even greater breakdown than Brian. Didn't he become catatonic?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »

From the P.F. Sloan Wikipedia entry:
"Eugene Landy, the controversial psychologist, laid claim to being the real P.F. Sloan when he was asked by reporters why he considered himself able to direct Beach Boys lead singer Brian Wilson's musical career. Landy claimed to have written the songs attributed to "P.F. Sloan".[citation needed]"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._F._Sloan

I don't recall hearing this before, and no citation is given. Any further info?

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »

Man, what sad news...  many great memories, through Mr. Kalinich... 

https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »

I also posted this on the Steve Hoffman board...

I have been a huge fan and collector of Phil's music since I discovered about 30 years ago that he was the writer of several of my favorite songs. I'm deeply saddened right now.

I had the fortunate opportunity to meet Phil about 15 years ago at a wedding of a mutual friend. I introduced myself, and he asked where I was from. I told him, "Charlotte, North Carolina." He replied, "Oh, I wrote a song back in the '60s called 'Miss Charlotte' because my aunt used to live there." Smiling, I said (quoting the lyrics), "I'm motherless, I'm fatherless, and I'm loveless to!" He was shocked that I knew that song. I told him, "Phil, you don't know how many fans of yours are out there. You touch us with your music." We proceeded to have a couple hour conversation about music and about life, followed by another long conversation the next day. One of the thrills of my life, meeting one of my musical heroes.

Our mutual friend called me with the sad news this afternoon. So far I've listened to Here's Where I Belong: The Best of the Dunhill Years 1965-1967, The Grass Roots' debut album so far, Child Of Our Times: The Trousdale Demo Sessions 1966-1967, and You Baby: Words & Music by P.F. Sloan and Steve Barri.

Rest in peace Phil...

Lee
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:20:12 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »

"Eugene Landy, the controversial psychologist, laid claim to being the real P.F. Sloan when he was asked by reporters why he considered himself able to direct Beach Boys lead singer Brian Wilson's musical career. Landy claimed to have written the songs attributed to "P.F. Sloan".[citation needed]"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._F._Sloan

From a 1995 interview when Phil went to Japan:

"Mmm. About 1988, I found out that Brian Wilson's so-called psychologist, Dr. Eugene Landy, was claiming that he had written "Eve Of Destruction", which was ludicrous. He obviously picked on that song, as I had a very low public profile at that time, and he figured he could get away with it. But I wrote a letter to Billboard about it, which was actually one of the first to denounce him."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:49 AM »

Very sad to hear this news.  Anyone who is a Beach Boys fan needs to hear the Fantastic Baggys album if they haven't already.  It is on par with any of the pre-1966 Beach Boys albums.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 01:26:50 AM »

Very sad news. Rest in peace,  sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_R1US0RNi4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 06:56:05 AM »

From a 1995 interview when Phil went to Japan:

"Mmm. About 1988, I found out that Brian Wilson's so-called psychologist, Dr. Eugene Landy, was claiming that he had written "Eve Of Destruction", which was ludicrous. He obviously picked on that song, as I had a very low public profile at that time, and he figured he could get away with it. But I wrote a letter to Billboard about it, which was actually one of the first to denounce him."

I remember that letter. After ripping Landy and his claim, it closed with something like, "I hope helps Brian Wilson in some way."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx