gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:15:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 16th 1966 - where were you?  (Read 5188 times)
ODowd
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:00:13 AM »

Hey there ! I am doing some research for a radio programme in the UK and am looking for stories around the release date of Pet Sounds, Monday 16th May 1966.

Where were you? Do you remember buying the album? How it sounded? Or what else happened on that day?

Would love to hear your stories  Smiley

Olivia

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:52:03 AM »

Hi Olivia. I no longer have my diary for that year (I did have one!) but at that time I was most likely in the throes of changing from a messy farm job to a "repectable" position as junior salesman in the record department of W.H. Smith in Watford (UK). I'd heard at least four tracks by then----"SJB", "GOK", "WIBN" and (maybe surprisingly) "Here Today" (and in all likelihood "Caroline, No") were played regularly by the off-shore pirate stations. I remember PS, Revolver and Blonde on Blonde were the big pop sellers at the store while I was there (until that November).

I myself only bought PS the next year, when I swapped buying "classical" LPs for pop. It sounded wonderfully colourful at the time----and still does. Although the then lack of information led me to assume that it was Mike soloing on baritone sax in "IKTAA"! Regrettably I trod on it in early 1973----while it was playing. LOL 

Sorry I can't be more specific about that day. Good luck with your research. I know for a fact that there are others here slightly younger or older than myself so hopefully they'll have more to say on the subject.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:33:03 AM »

I wouldn't be born til the 15th of January the following year, but since that is right around 9 months from May 16th 1966 it is probable that I was conceived by my folks around the time of Pet Sounds release!   Smiley
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:55:47 PM »

Well.... On May, 16, 1966, my mom was a little more than 5 and a half years old.

I'm not sure where I was on that date.

I know it was nowhere peaceful, and nowhere pleasant....

It was violent and tight. Also smelly and full of fluids I don't currently want to breathe.

Grin

No mas, por favor.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »

Well.... On May, 16, 1966, my mom was a little more than 5 and a half years old.

It was violent and tight. Also smelly and full of fluids I don't currently want to breathe.

Grin
Really? That's what you have to say about your mom's 5 1/2 year old ovaries?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:31:04 PM »

Grin
Really? That's what you have to say about your mom's 5 1/2 year old ovaries?

OMG, NO. You're sick disgusting!!!

Not me mum's ovaries, I was talking about me 5 1/2 year old mum's ass farts!!

Double yuck! !  ! ! !

No mas, por favor.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 02:01:30 AM »

I no longer have my diary for that year (I did have one!)

Too bad you lost it!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 02:47:20 AM »

I no longer have my diary for that year (I did have one!)

Too bad you lost it!

I didn't lose it----I threw it away in a mad spring-cleaning spree in the '70s when I threw just about everything away----music, drawings, diaries. Like I was denying my past or something. Anyway, it's gone. Grin

As for some of the posts in this topic: It wouldn't surprise me if it chased Olivia away for good. What will she think of this forum? Really, folks. Angry     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 03:41:00 AM »

It was a Monday, so probably feeling sorry for myself at being back in class but excited about the nearness of Summer break between my Sophomore and Junior year.

I take it back, I only had a restricted drivers license so I was still excited to be back in class.

Oh yeah, I didn't buy the album because we didn't have anything to play an albums on yet. We had an old portable 45 player with my Mom's collection of Perry Como, Patti Page, and Bill Haley singles but I didn't buy singles either, I just heard them on WHB 710 AM.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:19:51 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 06:08:56 AM »

I wasn't even a seed in the bosom of my mother and father yet. For they had not met. I don't think either of them had ever bought one either.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:09 AM »

Hey there ! I am doing some research for a radio programme in the UK and am looking for stories around the release date of Pet Sounds, Monday 16th May 1966.

Where were you? Do you remember buying the album? How it sounded? Or what else happened on that day?

Would love to hear your stories  Smiley

Olivia
Not out of grade school, yet, and going to a record department of a department store to buy my first BB album, Pet Sounds!

Yahoo!

Brian, Dennis, & Carl
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 07:01:17 AM »

Not yet born.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 07:17:01 AM »

I didn't lose it----I threw it away in a mad spring-cleaning spree in the '70s when I threw just about everything away----music, drawings, diaries. Like I was denying my past or something. Anyway, it's gone. Grin

Fair enough.  Grin
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »

Senior in high school and in a band that featured many BB songs, but according to Myke's Beard, I'm 75. Go figure. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »

Senior in high school and in a band that featured many BB songs, but according to Myke's Beard, I'm 75. Go figure. Roll Eyes
[/quote}

We can't all be good at math...myself included...  LOL
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »

What's the difference at our age, am I right? (high five?)

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »

This made me laugh out loud. The high five is adorable.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »

Apparently, quite a bit. I'm seven years shy of myKe's age, and during my three visits to the gym each week, there are a number of those younger than myself who can barely keep up with those of us who have embraced fitness all through life as well as seniors who surpass what I can do. I plan on keeping it going as long as by body will cooperate.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »

Apparently, quite a bit. I'm seven years shy of myKe's age, and during my three visits to the gym each week, there are a number of those younger than myself who can barely keep up with those of us who have embraced fitness all through life as well as seniors who surpass what I can do. I plan on keeping it going as long as by body will cooperate.

Just like Mike. ;-)

What about the high five? Don't leave me hangin'.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Just like Mike. ;-)

High Five

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 10:06:52 AM »

Just like Mike. ;-)

High Five
OSD, I gotta ask and I really really don't mean to offend in any way and hope I don't, but is THE LEGENDARY LSD you being satirical, or is it actually someone else?
Please don't be offended... I honestly don't know...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 11:00:35 AM »

Just like Mike. ;-)

High Five
OSD, I gotta ask and I really really don't mean to offend in any way and hope I don't, but is THE LEGENDARY LSD you being satirical, or is it actually someone else?
Please don't be offended... I honestly don't know...

LOL LOL LOL LOL I'm in no way chuckling at you Emily, but you're asking the wrong guy. As for me(OSD), it's purely a satirical stab at someone here who is sure they're a legend-in their own conceited mindframe that is. Grin  And, by the way, you'll have to check with The (legendary) LSD to see what his deal is all about. Wink
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:04:43 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »

OSD is in great shape compared to Mike's Wine-Buddha belly these days. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »

I was ready to graduate from high school a month later.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »

Just like Mike. ;-)

High Five

Whoa. There is hope for world peace, people!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx