gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:10:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 16th 1966 - where were you?  (Read 5161 times)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »

Sitting in class sophomore year on the California north coast. Probably bought the record the next time I was able to get over the hill to a record store, $1.98 plus tax at KFD Department Store, since it was, of course, the new Beach Boys album, and was blown away at first hearing.  Still am. Absolutely loved it, and never once had a thought about what seemed to confuse or even repel so many fans (and evidently Capitol Records) at the time.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »

Where was I? About eight and a half years away from being born.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
KDS
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »

Sitting in class sophomore year on the California north coast. Probably bought the record the next time I was able to get over the hill to a record store, $1.98 plus tax at KFD Department Store, since it was, of course, the new Beach Boys album, and was blown away at first hearing.  Still am. Absolutely loved it, and never once had a thought about what seemed to confuse or even repel so many fans (and evidently Capitol Records) at the time.

I could see it confusing people and the label a bit if they went straight from All Summer Long to Pet Sounds.  That would've been a bit jarring. 

But, they had, three studio albums that I thought bridged the gap. 

The Christmas Album - Their first real departure from surf / car songs.  Granted you had Little Saint Nick.  But songs like Christmas Day and the orchestral arrangements of the Xmas favorites show a more mature direction for the group.

Today - No car or surf songs again.  More complex songs like When I Grow Up, Kiss Me Baby, and Please Let Me Wonder. 

Summer Days Summer Nights - There were a couple songs like California Girls and Amusement Parks USA that were more akin to the BB early themes, but the arrangements are much more sophisticated, especially the intro to CG.  Let Him Run Wild and (non album track) The Little Girl I Once Knew wouldn't have sounded out of place on Pet Sounds. 

Maybe Party was the monkey wrench that confused people........
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx