-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Paris
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paris  (Read 60170 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2015, 04:28:42 AM »

New to me is info about a drug called Captogan which has been found in the bodies of the attackers in Paris.

Seems to be big production in Syria and helping fund the effort.

This drug is a type of amphetamine causing a felling of empowerment and invincibility is propelling attackers during raids and attacks.

http://thestonedsociety.com/2015/02/08/drugs-isis-captagon

https://fr.yahoo.com/    

The biggest thing there since oil, they say. Thanks for the link. It's new to me too.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2015, 04:51:26 AM »

Please point me to the post of yours where you have answered the question.

I have said several times that the West should leave the Middle East alone.

You have said that but on the basis that we can't do anything to fix it, which isn't really answering my question because the response presupposes something opposite to what the question is asking.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2015, 05:17:56 AM »

Please point me to the post of yours where you have answered the question.

I have said several times that the West should leave the Middle East alone.

You have said that but on the basis that we can't do anything to fix it, which isn't really answering my question because the response presupposes something opposite to what the question is asking.
Yes we can fix  this. Public opinion drives public policy. Transparency is a beautiful thing. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2015, 08:09:59 AM »

It is true that to do the Carlton is my primary objective in life. Peace on Earth is second.

Cheesy  Carlton dancing is strangely hypnotizing.  So is the idea of Peace.  I get it.  Progressives have a long history of wanting to achieve lofty goals.  Purity.  Something always gets in the way.  Religion.  People.  Liberty.

Listen, I don't want to draw this out... so may I suggest that radical Muslims are not the biggest threat to the Progressive agenda?

I can't speak for Progressives as a whole (I know there are a few issues upon which most people termed "progressive" and I differ) but for me, yeah, radical Muslims are not the biggest threat to my political agenda.
This is not the first time I've looked for a shaking hands/we're at peace emoticon. But it's not there, so picture it in your head.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:13:11 AM by Emily » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »

It is true that to do the Carlton is my primary objective in life. Peace on Earth is second.

Cheesy  Carlton dancing is strangely hypnotizing.  So is the idea of Peace.  I get it.  Progressives have a long history of wanting to achieve lofty goals.  Purity.  Something always gets in the way.  Religion.  People.  Liberty.

Listen, I don't want to draw this out... so may I suggest that radical Muslims are not the biggest threat to the Progressive agenda?

I can't speak for Progressives as a whole (I know there are a few issues upon which most people termed "progressive" and I differ) but for me, yeah, radical Muslims are not the biggest threat to my political agenda.
This is not the first time I've looked for a shaking hands/we're at peace emoticon. But it's not there, so picture it in your head.

I hear ya Em -- we need more emoticons!

You're right.  The Progressive agenda is not threatened by radical Islam.  Unless an attack takes "the agenda" off the front page (as BLACK LIVES MATTER stated).  The biggest threat to "the agenda" is actually dopes like me.  More to point -- the Conservative movement, the US Constitution, American traditions, core values, individualism, liberty... I could go on and on.

Knowing that Progressives view crisis as opportunity (Rahm Emanual -- "never let a crisis go to waste") this discussion is just about ready to get interesting?*

*Unless the Chocolate Sheik needs an article stating 4 out of 5 dentists agree that the discussion is about to get interesting.   LOL

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »

I hear ya Em -- we need more emoticons!

You're right.  The Progressive agenda is not threatened by radical Islam.  Unless an attack takes "the agenda" off the front page (as BLACK LIVES MATTER stated).  The biggest threat to "the agenda" is actually dopes people against it like me.  More to point -- the Conservative movement, the US Constitution as interpreted by conservatives, many American traditions, core conservative values, individualism taken to the degree that we disregard significant suffering in the community, liberty... I could go on and on.

Knowing that Progressives political professionals view crisis as opportunity (Rahm Emanual -- "never let a crisis go to waste") this discussion is just about ready to get interesting?*

*Unless the Chocolate Sheik needs an article stating 4 out of 5 dentists agree that the discussion is about to get interesting.   LOL

just some adjustments to your post, so we can agree.
Regarding liberty, I can think of some things that most conservatives think we should not be free to do that most progressives think we should, and vice versa. I think the difference is more liberty regarding what?
And, I've never understood that 5th dentist. What is up with him? He would prefer that his patients who chew gum chew sugarfull gum? I mean, I guess it's better for his pocketbook.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:14:09 PM by Emily » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2015, 12:54:35 PM »

The crisis thing is an old line, not an Emanuel original. I think Churchill said it first. to put that on any party or faction while absolving others is ridiculous. It's part of the calculating reality of politics.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2015, 08:45:19 PM »

Good posts guys.  Fun stuff, on an absolutely sh-ty topic, but it's good to have fun when exercising our brain muscles.  Otherwise, it's just useless work.

You know, glad the Paris "mastermind" is toast.  But, what a wasted life.  I'm seeing these dudes as real f-cked up kids -- in our lingo.  We in the civilized world, got used to pickin' up a pack of smokes and buying some cool music to check out.  These weirdos, living in a sh-ty desert, get to pick up their version of the bible -- I think it's called the Cooran?  Anyway... and they get all weird on that.

it's gonna kill'em.  But our parents said the same thing about cigarettes.  Only, this sh-t is a fcking nightmare for everyone else.

Let's be thankful over the holidays and never forget the kids who were at that rock concert, trying to cut loose and have fun.  Love your family, kids, parents and all the rest -- give them lots of love while we're all still together.

We're doing it right.  And we'll get through this sh-t together.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »

Good posts guys.  Fun stuff, on an absolutely sh-ty topic, but it's good to have fun when exercising our brain muscles.  Otherwise, it's just useless work.

You know, glad the Paris "mastermind" is toast.  But, what a wasted life.  I'm seeing these dudes as real f-cked up kids -- in our lingo.  We in the civilized world, got used to pickin' up a pack of smokes and buying some cool music to check out.  These weirdos, living in a sh-ty desert, get to pick up their version of the bible -- I think it's called the Cooran?  Anyway... and they get all weird on that.

it's gonna kill'em.  But our parents said the same thing about cigarettes.  Only, this sh-t is a fcking nightmare for everyone else.

Let's be thankful over the holidays and never forget the kids who were at that rock concert, trying to cut loose and have fun.  Love your family, kids, parents and all the rest -- give them lots of love while we're all still together.

We're doing it right.  And we'll get through this sh-t together.

Well, it certainly was sh*tty, BB. And your empathy for the victims is palpable; and empathy is the best part of being human.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:48 PM »

This thread is currently being looked at. For those who were offended by the bigoted comments in this thread, I am extremely sorry I didn't read my PMs earlier.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2015, 08:18:38 AM »

It's a political thread about a massacre, nobody should have walked into this thread expecting a teddy bears picnic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:25 PM »

There's a difference between politics and bigotry.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »

So being against terrorists is now bigotry? Guess I better only condemn those murderers that have the same skin colour or beliefs as I do from here on out, huh?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »

So being against terrorists is now bigotry? Guess I better only condemn those murderers that have the same skin colour or beliefs as I do from here on out, huh?

You've pretty much stated in this thread that you view all Muslims as terrorists. That's what I have an issue with.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »

You've pretty much stated in this thread that you view all Muslims as terrorists. That's what I have an issue with.

And round and round it goes. I did no such thing. I work in a hospital in England. Do you honestly think I'd be going to work there everyday if I thought I was surrounded by terrorists?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »

1st page of this thread. 'Let anyone of this faith in your country at your peril '. THAT I find extremely offensive. But hey,  that's a GREAT attitude to have. I mean, there was this guy with similar views, different ethnic group, though, but beliefs that lead to deaths of millions of people,  including some relatives of mine.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »

1st page of this thread. 'Let anyone of this faith in your country at your peril '. THAT I find extremely offensive. But hey,  that's a GREAT attitude to have. I mean, there was this guy with similar views, different ethnic group, though, but beliefs that lead to deaths of millions of people,  including some relatives of mine.

"Godwin's Law" invoked - thread is officially pointless. 

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »

I don't recall European Jews hating or trying to subvert Western civilization at any point in history. I mean hey, Western civilization is about the only fair deal the Jews will ever have in this world because the progressive folks in parts of Europe and Asia just won't have anything to do with them.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »

As someone of Jewish ancestry,  I have no idea how to respond to that.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »

I'm not making an antisemitic remark. Jews have it better in Western civilization than anywhere else. They're much better off here; they've done great things for Western civilization and culture. People outside of Western civilization would sooner kill them than ever value their contributions to society.

Those people, by the way, are part of that "refugee crisis."

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

I have, repeatedly Many Questions Man. And still you ask it. I've ran out of ways to answer you, it's mentally exhausting trying to think of different ways to get my reply through your head.
Like I said before, this isn't a conversation or debate, it's a one sided question fest.
Good day to you.

I would be happy to debate you or have a conversation if I understood your position. I suppose that when you note above that you "clarified" your original statement, you are saying that you don't actually believe that we should declare Islam to be an ideology "far beyond that of a religion" and then outlaw it as a terror organization. However, if you were specifically referring to Islamic terrorism, then I'm still puzzled since obviously that's already outlawed, as it should be. If you mean that all fundamentalists should be thrown in jail, I would disagree. I would say that fundamentalism of any kind is dangerous but so is throwing people in jail on the basis of their beliefs. As has already been noted, most terrorism in the United States is carried out by reactionaries who hold anti-government views, which are themselves a kind of fundamentalism. In fact, the similarities are quite striking between those who hold anti-government points of view and those who hold fundamentalist religious points of view. Nevertheless, while slavish anti-government figures can present a threat and it is quite possible that someone in a group of anti-government fundamentalists could indeed be violently destructive, I nevertheless would not support throwing into prison anybody who holds those views, unless they were actively pursuing or encouraging illegal activity.

Phewf. An entire thread with not a single question. That was difficult for Many Questions Man.  Smiley

I've moved your quote back to this thread as we were taking over the PP thread.  Cheesy

It may be different in the States but in the UK, public support (and I mean very public, as in street rallys and such) for an exteme Islamic state rule in western countries and support for groups such as ISIS goes completely unchallenged. Such hate speech is tolorated under our Human Rights and Freedom of Speech Laws.
Not long ago there was footage being floated over here of a guy with a small child on his shoulders and the child was waving the ISIS flag, as he walked down a street in London.
I've seen photos of such protest rallys where you can read signs such as
"Death to all non-believers"
"There is only one LAW - Allah"
"Convert to Islam or die!"
"All your women shall be ours".

There is/was a video floating around on youtube of a women interviewing a radical march in her hometown of Luton. They were protesting that a Muslim man had been arrested by the police for his invlovement in killing a (I believe) women. They chants were that the police were all doomed to hell because they had no right to impose their law on a Muslim.
When she attempted to interview members of the mob,the lady (who was moderately dressed) was called a whore, spat at and told to go home and cover up.

Again, all this crap is protected here by the very thing that they are attempting to tear down - western values. This things go far beyond that of just a religion, it needs to be recognised as such and not be protected under freedom of religion laws.
If they find our values and way of life so repungent, they need to f*** OFF over to a country more in line with their mindset.

More later, I've got to get ready for work. And just to pre empt the inevitable - I AM NOT SAYING EVERY MUSLIM PERSON THINKS THIS WAY.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »

I've moved your quote back to this thread as we were taking over the PP thread.  Cheesy

Good idea!  Smiley

It may be different in the States but in the UK, public support (and I mean very public, as in street rallys and such) for an exteme Islamic state rule in western countries and support for groups such as ISIS goes completely unchallenged. Such hate speech is tolorated under our Human Rights and Freedom of Speech Laws.
Not long ago there was footage being floated over here of a guy with a small child on his shoulders and the child was waving the ISIS flag, as he walked down a street in London.

There is an American equivalent to this which is the Westboro Baptist Church which is permitted to say all sorts of vile things, picket people's funerals, and so forth. And to be honest, I have no problem with that. As Chomsky puts it, if you believe in the freedom of speech, you specifically believe in the freedom of the speech that you hate. Otherwise you're not in favour of freedom of speech, because even the most tyrannical dictator in the world is in favour of freedom of speech for the views that he or she finds acceptable.

Again, what I said was true -- in England there are laws which state that you cannot encourage nor incite terrorism and the country's Human Rights and Freedom of Speech Laws do not allow for those actions. You may not like how the law is being applied but to say that "support for groups such as ISIS goes completely unchallenged" because of the Human Rights laws in the country is simply not true.

Again, Islamic fundamentalism, like all fundamentalism, poses a danger. But we have to be honest about where this particular strain of fundamentalism comes from. You have to remember that by 2002, most serious analysts concluded that "radical Islam" was in decline. Here's a very good article from Jason Burke illustrating this point of view in 2002:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/jun/30/pakistan.islam

By the following year, this position was impossible to articulate. The attack on Iraq sparked a renewed interest in radical Islam. After the attacks in London, the Royal Institute of International Affairs concluded that the attack on Iraq gave a "'boost to the al-Qaida network' in 'propaganda, recruitment and fundraising'" --> http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/jul/18/uk.july7

I have noted this before but it bears repeating Glenn Greenwald's point that in “2004, Donald Rumsfeld directed the Defense Science Board Task Force” – a committee appointed by the Pentagon – “to review the impact which the administration’s policies – specifically the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan – were having on Terrorism and Islamic radicalism. They issued a report in September, 2004 and it vigorously condemned the Bush/Cheney approach as entirely counter-productive, i.e., as worsening the Terrorist threat those policies purportedly sought to reduce.”

The question becomes, how to deal with the consequences of these actions. I don't believe the response is, as you say, to crack down further on the rights of these groups. As was pointed out in the article that I linked to yesterday, "IS has repeatedly stated that it wants Muslims in Western countries to face increased persecution, because they believe this will catalyze a hijra (migration) to their lands. Official IS statements are unequivocal on this point – attacks like those in Paris are designed to incite violence against local Muslim communities in order to facilitate recruitment and force migration." You may see this as a positive outcome, since you note that, "If they find our values and way of life so repungent, they need to f*** OFF over to a country more in line with their mindset." Let's not forget, as Jason Burke has pointed out, the goal of "Islamic militants" is not to oppose Western values or their way of life, but rather "to beat back what they perceive as an aggressive West that is supposedly trying to complete the project begun during the Crusades and colonial periods of denigrating, dividing, and humiliating Islam." This too has been long understood by the very people carrying out these actions as the position of these militants were made clear in above mentioned report by the Defense Science Board Task Force, as well as conclusions reached by the U.S. National Security Council as far back as the late 1950s. The notion of wanting these people to "f*** OFF over to a country more in line with their mindset" is essentially begging for the conditions that created ISIS in the first place and increased the threat of their terror.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:36:23 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
KDS
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2015, 10:47:20 AM »

I've moved your quote back to this thread as we were taking over the PP thread.  Cheesy

Good idea!  Smiley

There is an American equivalent to this which is the Westboro Baptist Church which is permitted to say all sorts of vile things, picket people's funerals, and so forth. And to be honest, I have no problem with that. As Chomsky puts it, if you believe in the freedom of speech, you specifically believe in the freedom of the speech that you hate. Otherwise you're not in favour of freedom of speech, because even the most tyrannical dictator in the world is in favour of freedom of speech for the views that he or she finds acceptable.

CSM,

So, you're saying you have no problem with people picketing funerals of fallen soldiers, carrying signs full of hate speech? 

Freedom of speech is one thing, but what about the right to mourn peacefully? 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »

CSM,

So, you're saying you have no problem with people picketing funerals of fallen soldiers, carrying signs full of hate speech? 

Freedom of speech is one thing, but what about the right to mourn peacefully? 

It's not that I have "no problem" with them doing it. Rather, I have "no problem" with their right to be protected to do it, even though I find these actions to be vile, repulsive, and distasteful.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

Again, what I said was true -- in England there are laws which state that you cannot encourage nor incite terrorism and the country's Human Rights and Freedom of Speech Laws do not allow for those actions. You may not like how the law is being applied but to say that "support for groups such as ISIS goes completely unchallenged" because of the Human Rights laws in the country is simply not true.

I live here, believe me it is.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: