gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:23:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sitars – why did The Beach Boys never use them? Or did they?  (Read 7682 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »

They used it on live concerts occasionally.

Listen to this Live Version of California Saga: California from 1974 Live in Milwakee Wisconsin. Very large presents of a Sitar. It is pretty good live version! Give it a listen!

https://youtu.be/vSKIQvubgDQ
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »

I had always assumed that it was an electric sitar playing the brief solo on "Our Sweet Love" (with the sitar twang turned down low).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »

I had always assumed that it was an electric sitar playing the brief solo on "Our Sweet Love" (with the sitar twang turned down low).

That's always sounded more like a standard 12-string electric to me.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »

Just guessing that's the "Electric Sitar" guitar, popularly used on B.J. Thomas's "Hooked on a Feeling," the Boxtops' "Cry Like a Baby," Joe South's "Games People Play among others.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 03:55:25 AM »

That's always sounded more like a standard 12-string electric to me.

SWD in his thread describes it only as a electric guitar (at least that's all I could find). Thanks for clarifying, c-man.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »

Listen to this Live Version of California Saga: California from 1974 Live in Milwakee Wisconsin. Very large presents of a Sitar. It is pretty good live version! Give it a listen!

Is this just an electric guitar too then at this concert???
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »

Is this just an electric guitar too then at this concert???

Now, THAT really DOES sound like an electric sitar! I haven't listened to the whole song yet to see if there's also a pedal steel part, like there normally was on that song at that time (played by Ricky). If so, I would say Al is maybe playing the electric sitar for his normal banjo part - or perhaps a banjo through a chorus/phase effect that gives it the illusion of an electric sitar. Otherwise, my guess would be that Ricky is for some reason playing an electric sitar here, rather than his normal pedal steel. I recall that on the tape of the Nassau, Coliseum show from that same year, the opening song ("Wouldn't It Be Nice") benefited from some unidentifiable "twangy" stringed-instrument sound. Could that also be an electric sitar? If so, that would an a quite fascinating dimension to this era of the live band!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx