gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Knickerbockers \  (Read 1283 times)
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:35:39 AM »

Tomorrow (November 13, 2015) Sundazed Records will release their new 80-track (on 4-CD) box The Knickerbockers "The Challenge Recordings". Liner notes (40-page book) are written by no one less than Dominic Priore and a few previously unissued tracks made it on the box. More details here: http://theseconddisc.com/2015/11/11/more-than-lies-sundazed-collects-the-knickerbockers-challenge-recordings-on-new-box-set/
Tragically Sundazed (again) missed to include The Knickerbockers 1965/66 version of "Fun, Fun, Fun", so people still has to go over to Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1dJjka0Ewg and listen to the lip-synced Dick Clark's ABC-TV clip.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:36:38 AM by Scotty » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 05:13:41 AM »

Tragically Sundazed (again) missed to include The Knickerbockers 1965/66 version of "Fun, Fun, Fun", so people still has to go over to Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1dJjka0Ewg and listen to the lip-synced Dick Clark's ABC-TV clip.

I don't think the quick recordings The Knickerbockers (or any "cast" bands on WTAI) survive anywhere but the original kinescopes - and that would be quite the hassle for Sundazed to clear/obtain - not mentioning the fact that the quality wouldn't be as good as the Challenge masters they are using (all mono for this one, btw).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »

Fans of Paul Revere and the Raiders have been clamoring for a dvd or cd of WTAI performances for ages, but yes, they only exist today on grainy old kinescopes. Paul Revere was asked about this a couple years ago, and he said that the original tapes were mostly erased. The feeling at the networks back then was "hey, this is just kids with their crazy music, record over it!"
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »

Call me dopey...but I only remember  O N E  Knickerbockers' song...'Lies'.  Seems like a whole lotta hoopla for a true 'one hit wonder'.  I do remember thinking that they sounded a LOT like the Beatles...in a good way.  But still.  1 lonely successful moment.  What am I missing? Huh  Why the fanfare? Huh  They didn't name the basketball team after them. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »

The Knickerbockers were pretty good, although they were very much influenced by the British invasion. Some people at the time even thought Lies was a Beatles song. They did some early surf/hot rod-type songs early in their career, with Bite, Bite Barracuda a particular example from 1964.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx