gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:30:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure "Deluxe"  (Read 2362 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:11:53 PM »

So, today I got in the mail what I thought was the deluxe edition of No Pier Pressure, with the bonus tracks(L&M and the 1975 ITBOMM). The front of the cd booklet has the word "Deluxe" printed near the bottom of the album cover, and the cd itself has "Deluxe" on it. But it's the standard 16 track disc with no bonus cuts whatsoever. They aren't even on the cd as hidden uncredited tracks. What's the deal? What's "Deluxe" about it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »

There was a 'standard' version that only had about 10 songs.  It's just a marketing thing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »

So how do you make sure you end up getting the version you want?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »

So, today I got in the mail what I thought was the deluxe edition of No Pier Pressure, with the bonus tracks(L&M and the 1975 ITBOMM). The front of the cd booklet has the word "Deluxe" printed near the bottom of the album cover, and the cd itself has "Deluxe" on it. But it's the standard 16 track disc with no bonus cuts whatsoever. They aren't even on the cd as hidden uncredited tracks. What's the deal? What's "Deluxe" about it?

The version you were after is exclusive to Target in the US.

http://www.target.com/p/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-target-exclusive/-/A-17254322

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »

http://www.target.com/p/brian-wilson-no-pier-pressure-target-exclusive/-/A-17254322

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to end up looking for another copy then.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »

You could get it on Amazon in the UK - for a while at least.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 04:04:53 AM »

Standard version = 13 tracks
Deluxe version = 16 tracks
Target Deluxe version = 18 tracks
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »

Yup. Target Deluxe version was also available on Amazon UK.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:09:02 AM »

...and also in various stores over here in the UK. What I mean is, the 18-track disc that was only available from Target in the US was on wider general retail release here. That's how I got my 18-track version: in a traditional record shop in the UK.

Quite apart from the contents of NPP as an album, which I enjoyed for the most part, I hated the 'Deluxe Edition' thing. It's becoming a bugbear of mine with music releases, actually. A 'deluxe edition' to me should have some... well, *luxurious* aspect to it (it's in the name, guys...!). It's a nice big well-made box o' goodies with a beautifully printed colour edition book, a couple of lithographs, lots of rare extra tracks and photos, high production values... whereas increasingly, it seems that the record industry thinks a 'deluxe edition' is a CD same as all the others with a couple of extra tracks in a cruddy standard-issue plastic jewel case.

No Pier Pressure is a case in point. The so-called 'Target Deluxe Edition' was, IMO, pretty much what the album should have been. The ordinary non-Target Deluxe Edition was the standard album bewilderingly shorn of a couple of really good tracks, and the so-called Standard Edition was like a cut-down promo sampler that misses some of the really good stuff out!

The odd thing is that the Beach Boys CAN do this stuff — just look at the SMiLE Sessions box or MiC. THAT's what I call a deluxe set — assembled with love, and with careful knowledge of exactly what it is that will get prospective buyers of the set excited (well, in the case of the SMiLE Sessions set, with the exception of the bewildering million-dollar 'built-in light' versions, and the gazillion-dollar surfboard version, that is... sheeesh).

For a real humdinger, look at the Rufus Wainwright 'House of Rufus' thing or Jellyfish's 'Fan Club' box from a few years back. They are serious 'luxury' releases truly deserving of the name. NPP... not so much...!

I know — this is very much a first-world problem! But it still PS's me awf...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:52:10 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 06:09:20 AM »

Yes, to clarify, I believe the 18-track version was only "exclusive" to Target stores in the US. It was offered in other territories (Canada, UK and/or other parts of Europe) at other retailers, and I don't believe it was exclusive to any one retailer in any other territories.

If you're a recording completest, the main deal would be to get the '75 "In the Back of My Mind" demo, as the version of "Love and Mercy" is simply the decade-old "Walking Down the Path of Life/Love and Mercy" single with the first half edited out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »

Standard version = 13 tracks
Deluxe version = 16 tracks
Target Deluxe version = 18 tracks

More specifically:

Standard version...
Deluxe...
Target exclusive/non US deluxe

1. This Beautiful Day
2. Runaway Dancer [featuring Sebu Simonian]
3. What Ever Happened [featuring Al Jardine and David Marks]
4. On The Island [featuring She & Him]
5. Half Moon Bay [featuring Mark Isham]
6. Our Special Love [featuring Peter Hollens]
7. The Right Time [featuring Al Jardine and David Marks]
8. Guess You Had To Be There [featuring Kacey Musgraves]
9. Don't Worry
10. Somewhere Quiet
11. I'm Feeling Sad

12. Tell Me Why [featuring Al Jardine]
13. Sail Away [featuring Blondie Chaplin and Al Jardine]
14. One Kind Of Love
15. Saturday Night [featuring Nate Ruess]
16. The Last Song
17. In The Back Of My Mind
18. Love And Mercy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »

...and also in various stores over here in the UK. What I mean is, the 18-track disc that was only available from Target in the US was on wider general retail release here. That's how I got my 18-track version: in a traditional record shop in the UK.

Quite apart from the contents of NPP as an album, which I enjoyed for the most part, I hated the 'Deluxe Edition' thing. It's becoming a bugbear of mine with music releases, actually. A 'deluxe edition' to me should have some... well, *luxurious* aspect to it (it's in the name, guys...!). It's a nice big well-made box o' goodies with a beautifully printed colour edition book, a couple of lithographs, lots of rare extra tracks and photos, high production values... whereas increasingly, it seems that the record industry thinks a 'deluxe edition' is a CD same as all the others with a couple of extra tracks in a cruddy standard-issue plastic jewel case.

No Pier Pressure is a case in point. The so-called 'Target Deluxe Edition' was, IMO, pretty much what the album should have been. The ordinary non-Target Deluxe Edition was the standard album bewilderingly shorn of a couple of really good tracks, and the so-called Standard Edition was like a cut-down promo sampler that misses some of the really good stuff out!

The odd thing is that the Beach Boys CAN do this stuff — just look at the SMiLE Sessions box or MiC. THAT's what I call a deluxe set — assembled with love, and with careful knowledge of exactly what it is that will get prospective buyers of the set excited (well, in the case of the SMiLE Sessions set, with the exception of the bewildering million-dollar 'built-in light' versions, and the gazillion-dollar surfboard version, that is... sheeesh).

For a real humdinger, look at the Rufus Wainwright 'House of Rufus' thing or Jellyfish's 'Fan Club' box from a few years back. They are serious 'luxury' releases truly deserving of the name. NPP... not so much...!

I know — this is very much a first-world problem! But it still PS's me awf...

Personally, I'm just happy the deluxe version was released right away rather than the standard 13 track edition being released in April, and followed by the 16 track edition later on down the line, forcing fans to buy the album again for the extra songs. 

This practice seems to have fallen by the wayside side CDs don't sell quite as well as they used to.  But, in was very common about a decade ago. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 01:36:19 PM »

I got the FULL version with ALL of the tracks at Wallmart in Canada. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »

I got the FULL version with ALL of the tracks at Wallmart in Canada. Cool Guy

Funny you mention that.  The Walley World that I frequent in the US only had the standard 13 track edition.  I had Target hold a copy for me on the release date. 

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx