gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489771 times)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 18, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »

I'm glad you read that. It's been quite the topic of conversation around here. And the Rolling Stone facebook article link had over 500 comments (and it wasn't pretty).

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 18, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

The  "lyrical genius tongue tied". Good point Rocky LOL
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »

a day without Rocky is like a day without sunshine. Smokin
Smiley A DAY WITHOUT ROCKY IS LIKE A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE Smiley Smiley I don't know what to say!  Doo Daa you have MADE MY DAY! "zipity doo da"  Shocked  Kiss High Five
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:40:59 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 18, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »

The first person narrative definitely works better. The two Three Dog Night books by Jimmy Greenspoon and Chuck Negron respectively paint a vivid picture of the era, and all the excess. Negron's book is particularly harrowing.
Smiley Doo Daa... thank you for your imput on the 1st person... the whole book has been revised! I WILL POST PARTS: 5...6...7...and 8 of "Wha--Ooh" SOON! I get the feeling "the angry 13" have burried their heads in the sand alongside emily... Stephen said he can see 24 legs sticking up in the air at the end of the beach where he SURF"S... he said people are scattering away from them because they were running down the beach screaming... and tearing their hair out... then they all just dug holes and crawled in...pulling the sand in with their arms and then jamming them in the sand as well... say's their legs are still kicking around in the air though... that's gotta be a good thing... their still ALIVE:) Smiley SURF" UP

Things have been kinda quiet on this thread because everyone's been reading and commenting on the thread c/o Mike's recent Rolling Stone interview. A lot of back and forth - a real rugby scrum. After that dies down, I'm sure things will get back to normal (or as normal as it can be in the waCKy world of our Beach Boys)!
Smiley Thanks Doo Dah... I too read the article on... mike  Transcendental Meditation loveless...what a "POOR" misunderstood "GENIUS...he just can't catch a break! All these people out there hating!  Angry What on earth could he have possibly done to deserve all this? After all... all he does is MEDITATE and write HIT SONGS... what's not to LOVE  Love I guess the collective consciousness of the entire universe is WRONG! I especially liked the part where his "SIXTH WIFE JACKIE" is standing on a chair, towering over him, pretending to be Brian... asking what he would say to Brian if he were here right now... and he can't think of a single thing to say... he's tongue tied...The Lyrical Genius... and here is the best part, when he finally decides to play along... as to what he would say to Brian... he says... I would say "I love you"...BUT...BUT...BUT... Evil   But there's this... and there's that... and there's this other thing... and there's all the name calling... AND ALL THE HATING LOL WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE ME?... I DON'T GET IT  Wall Head Spin Wall

LOL LOL LOL
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 18, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »

Best thread ever. Period.

The alliance between Mike haters and a self - acknowledged Wilson beater is one of the most surprising events in this board's history.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »

Best thread ever. Period.

The alliance between Mike haters and a self - acknowledged Wilson beater is one of the most surprising events in this board's history.

It's like the Middle East. It's complicated man... Smokin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 18, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »

The first person narrative definitely works better. The two Three Dog Night books by Jimmy Greenspoon and Chuck Negron respectively paint a vivid picture of the era, and all the excess. Negron's book is particularly harrowing.
Smiley Doo Daa... thank you for your imput on the 1st person... the whole book has been revised! I WILL POST PARTS: 5...6...7...and 8 of "Wha--Ooh" SOON! I get the feeling "the angry 13" have burried their heads in the sand alongside emily... Stephen said he can see 24 legs sticking up in the air at the end of the beach where he SURF"S... he said people are scattering away from them because they were running down the beach screaming... and tearing their hair out... then they all just dug holes and crawled in...pulling the sand in with their arms and then jamming them in the sand as well... say's their legs are still kicking around in the air though... that's gotta be a good thing... their still ALIVE:) Smiley SURF" UP

Things have been kinda quiet on this thread because everyone's been reading and commenting on the thread c/o Mike's recent Rolling Stone interview. A lot of back and forth - a real rugby scrum. After that dies down, I'm sure things will get back to normal (or as normal as it can be in the waCKy world of our Beach Boys)!
Smiley Thanks Doo Dah... I too read the article on... mike  Transcendental Meditation loveless...what a "POOR" misunderstood "GENIUS...he just can't catch a break! All these people out there hating!  Angry What on earth could he have possibly done to deserve all this? After all... all he does is MEDITATE and write HIT SONGS... what's not to LOVE  Love I guess the collective consciousness of the entire universe is WRONG! I especially liked the part where his "SIXTH WIFE JACKIE" is standing on a chair, towering over him, pretending to be Brian... asking what he would say to Brian if he were here right now... and he can't think of a single thing to say... he's tongue tied...The Lyrical Genius... and here is the best part, when he finally decides to play along... as to what he would say to Brian... he says... I would say "I love you"...BUT...BUT...BUT... Evil   But there's this... and there's that... and there's this other thing... and there's all the name calling... AND ALL THE HATING LOL WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE ME?... I DON'T GET IT  Wall Head Spin Wall
Mmm. The irony in this post is delicious.
No irony however in BW writing "All the violence in this world you know you just can't win" while in Rocky's company.
Fun though to hear Stephen Love having a little joke at your expense, Rocky!
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 19, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »

Smiley To Emily and "the angry 13" -  It's NOT at my expense that Stephen is having a hearty laugh while SURFING... and watching  THE 24 LEGS  flailing around in the air, of lunatics, with their HEADS IN THE SAND!  You really must read more carefully... or do you have someone reading for you... that's causing you to MISUNDERSTAND so much?  And when you speak of the lack of irony... in your reference to "violence " in my presence... Is that why "BRIAN CALLED ME UP" after I no longer worked for him and wanted me to come over and HANG WITH HIM? And then cruised by "my" pad  the very next weekend wanting "ME" to take a cruise up the coast with him?  Smiley OH... that's right, to your way of thinking Brian would call someone up that HE DOESN'T LIKE and ASK THEM to come HANG WITH HIM... and then drop by their pad to go for a cruise with him...because he considers them VIOLENT?! Wall  Head Spin   Or could it be...   "HE KNOWS I HELPED SAVE HIS LIFE." And he likes me? I wonder why he doesn't call YOU... emily, you've PROVED YOUR LOVE for him! Keep making your delicious posts... #13  Kiss
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:08:55 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 19, 2016, 12:10:46 PM »

Hey Rocky, do you have any contact with Brian these days or any members of the band?
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 19, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »

Hey Rocky, do you have any contact with Brian these days or any members of the band?
Smiley Good question... I know from a very good source that Brian and Melinda are following SMILE... Smiley as  are  OTHERS! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:24:59 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 19, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »

That's a tough test for a new employee, but it adds context to the enviorment within which Rocky and Stan had to operate. I'm interested in reading about everyone's reaction. It could be the starting point for understanding the 'Heroin Incident' events. (Understanding and Justifying still seperate for time being) Rocky may have had one focus. Protect Brian at all cost. Aggression towards him needed to be checked in order to make sure nobody would feel that they could mess with Rocky and Stan, and thus perhaps undermine their sole purpose of keeping Brian clean.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 19, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »

I've read various quotes by the people involved on the various assaults on the Wilsons, and the assailants never seem to get that battery is NEVER OK regardless of how annoyed or angry or whatever you feel regarding someone.  They never seem regretful or "I just lost it.  It was really terrible of me. I've taken X steps to learn to control my behavior better..." It's always, "Carl was rude, so..." "Dennis gave Brian drugs, so..." "Your mother undermined my authority and incredibly harsh violent punishment is good for kids, so..."
The lack of regret and recognition that battery is wrong IN ANY CASE is what really bothers me.

+1
Smiley You are not only DEPRIVED... you're CENTURIES  behind!  Dennis getting beat up because Brian's LIVE-IN NURSE begged US to STOP DENNIS... is the very reason BRIAN IS LIVING TODAY!  Go "preach" your NON-VIOLENCE PSYCHOBABBLE to ISIS, Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and Hitler... not to mention all the MASS MURDERERS around the world CHOPPING AMERICANS' HEADS OFF and videotaping it for the whole world to see! "Peace-LOVE- Dove"  You missed your calling a half "CENTURY" ago... back in the Sixties Smiley Smiley  "PEACE" Happy Dance Love Happy Dance
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:03:05 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 19, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »

That's a tough test for a new employee, but it adds context to the environment within which Rocky and Stan had to operate. I'm interested in reading about everyone's reaction.  It could be the starting point for understanding the 'Heroin Incident' events. (Understanding and justifying still separate for time being.) Rocky may have had one focus, that is, to protect Brian at all costs.  Aggression towards him needed to be checked in order to make sure nobody would feel that they could mess with Rocky and Stan, and thus perhaps undermine their sole purpose of keeping Brian clean.
Smiley JUICE are you joining the other "Psychiatrists" on SMILE?  Stick to JUICING IT... or at least consult with mikey "TM" loveless, someone who desperately needs HELP!  After all, he's so "MISUNDERSTOOD" by not only his soon to be SIX ex- wives  Love and by ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HATE HIM  Angry and of course by ALL THE PEOPLE HE SUES! Jedi Duel  You notice I didn't include Brian... because the best revenge is... LIVING WELL  High Five being HAPPILY MARRIED Kiss Love Kiss   and, of course, ...HAVING TALENT  Brian, Dennis, & Carl Brian, Dennis and Carl.  (NO LOVELESS) Angry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:22:55 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 19, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »

There is obviously something wrong with people who don't see Rocky for what he is...
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 19, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »

Smiley mtaber... nice name...stick to Obama's  town hall speech at Ball State... your "wit" needs a lot of work("for what it is") Don't quit your day job...oh... that's right you don't have one... this is it... READING ROCKY PAMPLIN'S BOOK ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS... SMILE LOL LOL   "59,242" reads right now... I wonder if I'll make it to "60,000" before 5:00 pm today when I sign off...AND GO HAVE A LIFE... as I do everyday... and every weekend. You should try it... and so should "the angry 13"  Smiley just a suggestion! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:37:04 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 19, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »

Hey Rocky, any chance your LP gets reissued to coincide with the book? 60,000 sales these days would put it at the top of the charts.

“We live in divisive times.”
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 19, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »

I've read various quotes by the people involved on the various assaults on the Wilsons, and the assailants never seem to get that battery is NEVER OK regardless of how annoyed or angry or whatever you feel regarding someone.  They never seem regretful or "I just lost it.  It was really terrible of me. I've taken X steps to learn to control my behavior better..." It's always, "Carl was rude, so..." "Dennis gave Brian drugs, so..." "Your mother undermined my authority and incredibly harsh violent punishment is good for kids, so..."
The lack of regret and recognition that battery is wrong IN ANY CASE is what really bothers me.

+1
Smiley You are not only DEPRIVED... you're CENTURIES  behind!  Dennis getting beat up because Brian's LIVE-IN NURSE begged US to STOP DENNIS... is the very reason BRIAN IS LIVING TODAY!  Go "preach" your NON-VIOLENCE PSYCHOBABBLE to ISIS, Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and Hitler... not to mention all the MASS MURDERERS around the world CHOPPING AMERICANS' HEADS OFF and videotaping it for the whole world to see! "Peace-LOVE- Dove"  You missed your calling a half "CENTURY" ago... back in the Sixties Smiley Smiley  "PEACE" Happy Dance Love Happy Dance
More lovely irony. He mocks people on the board for not "having a life" but spends his time rereading this thread, going as far back as November.
You've lived down to my early expectations, Rocky!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 19, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »

+1
Smiley You are not only DEPRIVED... you're CENTURIES  behind!  Dennis getting beat up because Brian's LIVE-IN NURSE begged US to STOP DENNIS... is the very reason BRIAN IS LIVING TODAY!  Go "preach" your NON-VIOLENCE PSYCHOBABBLE to ISIS, Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and Hitler... not to mention all the MASS MURDERERS around the world CHOPPING AMERICANS' HEADS OFF and videotaping it for the whole world to see! "Peace-LOVE- Dove"  You missed your calling a half "CENTURY" ago... back in the Sixties Smiley Smiley  "PEACE" Happy Dance Love Happy Dance
More lovely irony. He mocks people on the board for not "having a life" but spends his time rereading this thread, going as far back as November.
You've lived down to my early expectations, Rocky!

Actually, that'd account for a huge percentage of the near-60,000 reads this thread has had. Seriously.

“We live in divisive times.”
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 19, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »

Hey Rocky, any chance your LP gets reissued to coincide with the book? 60,000 sales these days would put it at the top of the charts.
Smiley You never know womanning missinglink... how's your album doing? THANKS for asking though...with all the great compliments I've gotten about it on this thread... I might just do that... My favorite compliment was the one... I love your voice... at least you don't have a "whiny ass pinched nose voice" that stigmatized the Beach Boys back in the late 60s and almost ruined them... Brian had to bring in Blondie Chaplin to sing "Sail On Sailor" Now that cat could sing!... Brian knew it... guess that's why Brian is still performing with Blondie... and not some others LOL LOL
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:02:53 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 19, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »

Smiley girl with HEAD IN THE SAND... In case you haven't noticed... on every single post it say's...ROCKY PAMPLIN BOOK ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS... (nothing about... emily) I'M on this thread because I have a book to PROMOTE! What's your EXCUSE...You Just Luv Me too Much? Don't be jealous... The only thing "down" is you and all your OPINIONS... nobody cares about them... the readers just "skip over you" emily... Custom Machine told you that! When are you gonna "GET IT"?  Kiss Love
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:00:15 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: February 19, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »

Smokin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: February 19, 2016, 05:49:18 PM »

Hey, here's a novel idea (pardon the pun) ! How about a book called 'The Beach Boys book about Rocky Pamplin' with a forward by M E Love - Blimey it should be hell of a tome over what? 3 pages ?  Wink
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 19, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »

It's sad that the BBs had to put up with the 70s notion of  the "whiny ass pinched nose girls voice."  Since Brian is now considered to have had one of the top 100 voices in popular music (#50 in Rolling Stone), it goes to show how idiotic we could be back then.  And Carl? Well, that goes without saying. It's funny because it seemed like it was always guys who got all bent out of shape about male falsetto voices--calling it girly. We female types didn't seem to have a problem with it--in fact found it gorgeous. Just like hearing Blondie sing Wild Honey is gorgeous and it rocks. Both Carl and Brian could rock the house when they chose to. Brian had one of the most flexible and expressive voices in contemporary music. Its purity was only matched by Carl's, except in general, Brian could sing higher. It was a true loss for American music when Brian somehow got the notion that his angelic falsetto wasn't cool anymore. But in the 60s and 70s that was the thing for white guys. Our loss.

This isn't a criticism of you, Rocky, since I haven't heard you. I am, however, contradicting your opinion regarding what was right at the time in the 70s. Because a rough, rockin' voice what the "cool guys" said (the radio jocks) The BBs would have done fine if they understood that girls (which included adult women) would buy their records if Brian Wilson had continued to use that soaring falsetto. And so would a lot of guys--maybe secretly. The hip critics would have barfed because they were the cool guys (see: magazine, Rolling Stone) and would come around years later (as they have) because as you know and we all know, it's great f*cking music that has influenced generations.

I think it's a great idea that you've shifted from 3rd person to 1st person. Your last installment gives a lot of insight into you point of view--what you were feeling and thinking when you met Dennis.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: February 19, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

Smiley girl with HEAD IN THE SAND... In case you haven't noticed... on every single post it say's...ROCKY PAMPLIN BOOK ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS... (nothing about... emily) I'M on this thread because I have a book to PROMOTE! What's your EXCUSE...You Just Luv Me too Much? Don't be jealous... The only thing "down" is you and all your OPINIONS... nobody cares about them... the readers just "skip over you" emily... Custom Machine told you that! When are you gonna "GET IT"?  Kiss Love
You're promoting your book by going back and reading posts from November? That's an interesting interpretation of a 'job'. And a great job you're doing. You've got about 4 fans already.
I don't need an excuse to read this thread Rocky. It'is fascinating and very revealing, though at times downright depressing. It's a case study in unevolved retrograde thinking. Ever think that you would lose respect by acting like an idiot in front of everyone on that plane? Or 'must be alpha male' is as far as your thinking went?
So my source was right that along with imprisoning Brian Wilson, you mocked him about his voice. You already told us you humiliated him in front of his peers; you stuck him in ice water when he needed emergency services; you beat up his brothers; you forced him to do work he neither wanted nor needed to do; and when he tried to get away from you, you chased him down and forced him to submit to more debasement; all this was when he was in desperate need of mental health care. What else did you do to Brian Wilson, Rocky?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:27:18 PM by Emily » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »

Smiley girl with HEAD IN THE SAND... In case you haven't noticed... on every single post it say's...ROCKY PAMPLIN BOOK ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS... (nothing about... emily) I'M on this thread because I have a book to PROMOTE! What's your EXCUSE...You Just Luv Me too Much? Don't be jealous... The only thing "down" is you and all your OPINIONS... nobody cares about them... the readers just "skip over you" emily... Custom Machine told you that! When are you gonna "GET IT"?  Kiss Love
You're promoting your book by going back and reading posts from November? That's an interesting interpretation of a 'job'. And a great job you're doing. You've got about 4 fans already.
I don't need an excuse to read this thread Rocky. It'is fascinating and very revealing, though at times downright depressing. It's a case study in unevolved retrograde thinking. Ever think that you would lose respect by acting like an idiot in front of everyone on that plane? Or 'must be alpha male' is as far as your thinking went?
So my source was right that along with imprisoning Brian Wilson, you mocked him about his voice. You already told us you humiliated him in front of his peers; you stuck him in ice water when he needed emergency services; you beat up his brothers; you forced him to do work he neither wanted nor needed to do; and when he tried to get away from you, you chased him down and forced him to submit to more debasement; all this was when he was in desperate need of mental health care. What else did you do to Brian Wilson, Rocky?

Um, Emily, I think Rocky was mocking Mike's voice. Not Brian's.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx