gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489769 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 08, 2016, 11:21:30 PM »

This would sound a lot better as a first person account.  And many parts are need of the services of a professional copy editor.

For example, "Some slicksters tried to slip him drugs, which Stan and Rocky immediately confiscated." This needs further explanation. "Slicksters" tried to slip Brian drugs? How exactly did these "slicksters" attempt to do this? What was Brian's response? How did Brian and the "slciksters" react when the drugs were confiscated?

Another quick example, "Danny looked at Stan and Rocky, who nodded and succinctly said, 'One grasshopper - no vodka - and don't even think about trying to slip something in it!'" This reads as though you and Stan were speaking in unison, which I assume was not the case.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 09, 2016, 05:23:02 AM »

This reads more like an historical novel.  All these direct quotes from events that happened 40 years ago are not credible.  It would be more plausible if it were more like this - "I remember that Anaheim concert very well.  Brian was extremely nervous, despite attempts from Stan and I to distract him and calm him down.  After all, this would be his first concert appearance in front of such a massive crowd, plus he hadn't really performed publicly with the band in several years."
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 09, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

This reads more like an historical novel.  All these direct quotes from events that happened 40 years ago are not credible.  It would be more plausible if it were more like this - "I remember that Anaheim concert very well.  Brian was extremely nervous, despite attempts from Stan and I to distract him and calm him down.  After all, this would be his first concert appearance in front of such a massive crowd, plus he hadn't really performed publicly with the band in several years."

Agreed. Rocky can write the book he wants to write and use whatever style he chooses, but I believe it will affect the general perception of it. "Heroes and Villains" by Steven Gaines also had a lot of direct quotes that seemed made up, but at least was written much closer in time to actual events.

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 09, 2016, 01:01:24 PM »

This would sound a lot better as a first person account.  And many parts are need of the services of a professional copy editor.

For example, "Some slicksters tried to slip him drugs, which Stan and Rocky immediately confiscated." This needs further explanation. "Slicksters" tried to slip Brian drugs? How exactly did these "slicksters" attempt to do this? What was Brian's response? How did Brian and the "slciksters" react when the drugs were confiscated?

Another quick example, "Danny looked at Stan and Rocky, who nodded and succinctly said, 'One grasshopper - no vodka - and don't even think about trying to slip something in it!'" This reads as though you and Stan were speaking in unison, which I assume was not the case.
Smiley Custom Machine, thank you...for catching my omission... I forgot to type in...(after one grasshopper-no vodka) "Stan added,""and don't even think about...etc. (I corrected it). But we did say... one grasshopper-no-vodka... in unison. In regards to slicksters trying to slip drugs to Brian?... " there are many ways"... shaking hands...dropping something in a coat pocket... back pants pocket..."from close hugs"... then whispering the whereabouts. We really had to be on our toes to know what to look for... for instance... a rolled up clenched fist, by Brian, after a hand shake and then Brian quickly putting his hand in his pocket... or suddenly wanting to go to the rest room... or just dropping something in his drink! The list goes on and on... and it never ceases! They give it freely... thinking it makes them cool...and just to get a wink or a nod from the "star!" Never occurring to them they might be killing Brian! C M... I made an "exception" today and responded to your comments "about my book" because you gave me LePage's name.  Also, thanks for the heads up on my omission (Stan added). Tell mtaber and catlag to write their own book! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:29:02 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 09, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »

Smiley Custom Machine, thank you...for catching my omission... I forgot to type in...(after one grasshopper-no vodka) "Stan added,""and don't even think about...etc. (I corrected it). But we did say... one grasshopper-no-vodka... in unison. In regards to slicksters trying to slip drugs to Brian?... " there are many ways"... shaking hands...dropping something in a coat pocket... back pants pocket..."from close hugs"... then whispering the whereabouts. We really had to be on our toes to know what to look for... for instance... a rolled up clenched fist, by Brian, after a hand shake and then Brian quickly putting his hand in his pocket... or suddenly wanting to go to the rest room... or just dropping something in his drink! The list goes on and on... and it never ceases! They give it freely... thinking it makes them cool...and just to get a wink or a nod from the "star!" Never occurring to them they might be killing Brian! C M... I made an "exception" and responded to your comments "about my book" today because you gave me LePage's name. Also, thanks for the heads up on my omission (Stan added). Tell mtaber and catlag to write their own book! Smiley Smiley

Rocky, that part  you just wrote would be good to add into the passage.  It would go something like,

"Some Slicksters tried to slip him drugs, which Stan and Rocky immediately confiscated.  That was the norm back then for a rich rock star like Brian, and it could be done in many ways.  Shaking hands, dropping something in a coat pocket..." etc.

And then just continue with the rest of what you said.

Keep the posts coming! Smiley
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 09, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »

I really think this guy needs a ghost writer.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »

You're right, of course. Originally I was getting the impression that this book was already a done deal but it's unpublishable in its current state – or what we've seen of its current state, which suggests any ghost writer would have to dig out a lot more meat to put on these bones.

“We live in divisive times.”
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 09, 2016, 09:35:33 PM »

Rocky......

As the 70's wore on, did you ever meet Landy or any of his henchmen(women)  ??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1108 on: February 10, 2016, 01:16:50 AM »

You're right, of course. Originally I was getting the impression that this book was already a done deal but it's unpublishable in its current state – or what we've seen of its current state, which suggests any ghost writer would have to dig out a lot more meat to put on these bones.

A ghost writer and some decent basic research.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 10, 2016, 04:29:09 AM »

You guys should go write your own books...
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: February 10, 2016, 04:36:54 AM »

Know it all's, know it all's everywhere!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 10, 2016, 04:55:53 AM »

What about AGD producing a wee guide to the many and various books about the Beach Boys, similar to his album guide?

Andrew would be the perfect critic in such an instance and the books are certainly varied enough to warrant such appraisals, from PAC's worthy tome to Jack Lloyd's, erm, effort.

Then there's books like that being discussed right here, right now, in this very thread - the literary equivalent of Smile, being unfinished and unreleased.

Best of all, Andrew could post chunks here to drum up business even before finding a publisher! Wink

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:16 AM »

Smiley mtaber... mt sentiments EXACTLY! Smiley Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 10, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »

Smiley mtaber... mt sentiments EXACTLY! Smiley Smiley

"mt"?

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »

What about AGD producing a wee guide to the many and various books about the Beach Boys, similar to his album guide?

Andrew would be the perfect critic in such an instance and the books are certainly varied enough to warrant such appraisals, from PAC's worthy tome to Jack Lloyd's, erm, effort.

Then there's books like that being discussed right here, right now, in this very thread - the literary equivalent of Smile, being unfinished and unreleased.

Best of all, Andrew could post chunks here to drum up business even before finding a publisher! Wink
Smiley Andrew "is" drumming up chunks out of the toilet he has his head in... (and he's talking about decent?)  Manning are you standing directly behind Andrew in his icon picture? No wonder you have such a distorted view! The two of you should get a room and "smell the roses?" Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:53:07 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »

Smiley Manning...WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF YOUR BOOK? That's what I thought... You can't write so you criticize! Keep up the good work! Speaking of work do you and these other wankers even have a JOB? Grin Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »

Dammit, yes I should.

Oh... wait...

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 10, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

Smiley Custom Machine, thank you...for catching my omission... I forgot to type in...(after one grasshopper-no vodka) "Stan added,""and don't even think about...etc. (I corrected it). But we did say... one grasshopper-no-vodka... in unison. In regards to slicksters trying to slip drugs to Brian?... " there are many ways"... shaking hands...dropping something in a coat pocket... back pants pocket..."from close hugs"... then whispering the whereabouts. We really had to be on our toes to know what to look for... for instance... a rolled up clenched fist, by Brian, after a hand shake and then Brian quickly putting his hand in his pocket... or suddenly wanting to go to the rest room... or just dropping something in his drink! The list goes on and on... and it never ceases! They give it freely... thinking it makes them cool...and just to get a wink or a nod from the "star!" Never occurring to them they might be killing Brian! C M... I made an "exception" and responded to your comments "about my book" today because you gave me LePage's name. Also, thanks for the heads up on my omission (Stan added). Tell mtaber and catlag to write their own book! Smiley Smiley

Rocky, that part  you just wrote would be good to add into the passage.  It would go something like,

"Some Slicksters tried to slip him drugs, which Stan and Rocky immediately confiscated.  That was the norm back then for a rich rock star like Brian, and it could be done in many ways.  Shaking hands, dropping something in a coat pocket..." etc.

And then just continue with the rest of what you said.

Keep the posts coming! Smiley

Smiley Mikeddonn... Not bad! And I certainly will keep the posts coming! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:04:21 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1118 on: February 10, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »

Smiley Andrew "is" drumming up chunks out of the toilet he has his head in... (and he's talking about decent?)  Manning are you standing directly behind Andrew in his icon picture? No wonder you have such a distorted view! The two of you should get a room and "smell the roses?" Smiley Smiley

I've written two compact guides to the band's music, and the liners to one of the 2000 Brother reissues, as commissioned by Capitol. I've helped research the 1993 box set, the 1997 Pet Sounds Sessions box and a 1995 TV documentary. I don't need to drum anything up. Your book is currently unpublishable and barely readable.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 10, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Smiley Manning...WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATE OF YOUR BOOK? That's what I thought... You can't write so you criticize! Keep up the good work! Speaking of work do you and these other wankers even have a JOB? Grin Grin
Rocky, you just make yourself look more foolish with these sorry little attempts at insults. You are obviously completely unskilled and are relying on a brush with fame to get a book published and are currently spewing at two published writers. Do you have a job?
But it's pretty slick that you now have Beach Boys "fans" helping you write a book trashing the Beach Boys. You may lack other skills, but you can manipulate.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »

Rocky, what do you think Brian will think of your (still unpublished) book if he ever finds time to read it?

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 10, 2016, 11:49:24 AM »

Rocky have you ever listened to Dennis Wilson's solo album: Pacific Ocean Blue?  If so, what is your opinion of it?

Smiley Pacific Ocean Blue, Yes I have listened to it... and it is exceptional! As a matter of fact, Stephen Love has informed me that the very prestigious British Music Magazine "MOJO" has "DUBED" "Pacific Ocean Blue" a "Masterpiece"! And Dennis is considered one of the "MOST UNDERRATED" Song Writers of our time! I only wish Dennis could have lived to have read this about himself... he was obviously VERY TALENTED...albeit a bit over shadowed by Brian... and perhaps a bit frustrated? My feeling is that "IF" Dennis could have received this acclaimed recognition... he might not have been so hell bent on self destruction? Dennis's motto or creed was "LIVE FAST and LEAVE A GOOD LOOKING CORPSE!" He was a James Dean prototype..."Rebel Without A Cause"... Dennis's Music was his "UNREQUITED CAUSE" I also so feel it is IRONIC that the "Pacific Ocean Blue" took his life... or perhaps there is some strange "Poetic Justice" to his dying in his beloved "Pacific Ocean Blue?" Smiley Smiley

http://beachboysarchives.com/page11

Smiley What does "http://beachboysarchives.com/page11" have to do with my opinion of Dennis's "Pacific Ocean Blue?"
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 10, 2016, 12:00:32 PM »

Rocky have you ever listened to Dennis Wilson's solo album: Pacific Ocean Blue?  If so, what is your opinion of it?

Smiley Pacific Ocean Blue, Yes I have listened to it... and it is exceptional! As a matter of fact, Stephen Love has informed me that the very prestigious British Music Magazine "MOJO" has "DUBED" "Pacific Ocean Blue" a "Masterpiece"! And Dennis is considered one of the "MOST UNDERRATED" Song Writers of our time! I only wish Dennis could have lived to have read this about himself... he was obviously VERY TALENTED...albeit a bit over shadowed by Brian... and perhaps a bit frustrated? My feeling is that "IF" Dennis could have received this acclaimed recognition... he might not have been so hell bent on self destruction? Dennis's motto or creed was "LIVE FAST and LEAVE A GOOD LOOKING CORPSE!" He was a James Dean prototype..."Rebel Without A Cause"... Dennis's Music was his "UNREQUITED CAUSE" I also so feel it is IRONIC that the "Pacific Ocean Blue" took his life... or perhaps there is some strange "Poetic Justice" to his dying in his beloved "Pacific Ocean Blue?" Smiley Smiley

http://beachboysarchives.com/page11

Smiley  Dennis's "SOLO" Album" "Pacific Ocean Blue?" If Dennis had read what "MOJO" Magazine wrote about his "MUSIC" ... He would have quit drugs... and wrote and recorded another "MASTERPIECE! Smiley Smiley"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:04:25 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »

Rocky, you just make yourself look more foolish with these sorry little attempts at insults. You are obviously completely unskilled and are relying on a brush with fame to get a book published and are currently spewing at two published writers. Do you have a job?
But it's pretty slick that you now have Beach Boys "fans" helping you write a book trashing the Beach Boys. You may lack other skills, but you can manipulate.
Smiley Well what do you know... Emily, the "MASTER OF INSULTS" has returned. I thought you had "BURIED YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND"! Wishful thinking? Well at least the "NUMBER OF READS" will go soaring "UP" even more... if that's possible... 53,500 and climbing! I should be over 60,000 by the end of next Monday when I post Part: 4 of "Wha--Ooh" "LIFE IS GOOD" "SMILE" is the best thing to happen to "WIPEOUT!"  Smiley Smiley Luv Ya!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:22:28 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »

As much as I'm enjoying the high comedy here, did you fry your brain on free nicotine and tar all those years you were playing Joe Camel or were you just born this dumb? You have made absolutely no sense for 45 pages.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx