gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:51:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489955 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 05, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »

My brain is about to explode...
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 05, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »

Rocky, is that you and Stan at 8:25?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZFuslGLSU
Smiley If you mean... is that Stan and I at Dennis's house at 8:25 am the morning after we "paid" him a visit at 2:30 am... YES!!! That would be the same two guys who got a PHONE CALL, the day before, from Carolyn Williams the HYSTERICAL LIVE IN NURSE AT BRIAN'S HOUSE DESPERATELY PLEADING with Stan... "Please do something about Dennis giving Cocaine to Brian... BRIAN HAD A SEIZURE TODAY AND I HAD TO STICK A HAMMER IN HIS MOUTH TO KEEP HIM FROM SWALLOWING HIS TONGUE... and "DYING" "PLEASE HELP... ME I CAN'T STOP DENNIS... I'M BEGGING YOU?"!!! Is that what your referring to? Now let me hear some "PSYCHO BABBLE" about how we should have sat down with Dennis and asked him nicely... "PLEASE DON'T GIVE BRIAN ANYMORE COCAINE... HE'S YOUR BROTHER... YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO KILL HIM WOULD YOU?... PLEASE DENNIS!!! OK...thank u LOL LOL

Uh.. no, that's not at all what I meant. I meant, if you watch the video on the YouTube link there at 8 minutes 25 seconds, is that a picture of you and Stan with Brian sitting at the piano?

Please stop it with that story you've been telling over and over again on this thread. We get it, REALLY.
Are you asking a question you already know the answer to, or are you genuinely unsure if that is Stan and Rocky pictured at 8:25?

Well, I'm genuinely not 100% sure. Could be his evil twin brother.

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 05, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »

My brain is about to explode...
Smiley Get a life then! Or get together with catlag... you can tell each other bed time stories... Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:26:41 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:40 PM »

It was Rocky and Stan and a very trim looking Brian!  Great picture.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 05, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »

It was Rocky and Stan and a very trim looking Brian!  Great picture.

That pic appears in which book? The Leaf one?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: February 05, 2016, 05:31:33 PM »

It was Rocky and Stan and a very trim looking Brian!  Great picture.

That pic appears in which book? The Leaf one?

Yes, I think that's where I first saw it.  Maybe the Gaines' one?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: February 05, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »

Rocky have you ever listened to Dennis Wilson's solo album: Pacific Ocean Blue?  If so, what is your opinion of it?

Smiley Pacific Ocean Blue, Yes I have listened to it... and it is exceptional! As a matter of fact, Stephen Love has informed me that the very prestigious British Music Magazine "MOJO" has "DUBED" "Pacific Ocean Blue" a "Masterpiece"! And Dennis is considered one of the "MOST UNDERRATED" Song Writers of our time! I only wish Dennis could have lived to have read this about himself... he was obviously VERY TALENTED...albeit a bit over shadowed by Brian... and perhaps a bit frustrated? My feeling is that "IF" Dennis could have received this acclaimed recognition... he might not have been so hell bent on self destruction? Dennis's motto or creed was "LIVE FAST and LEAVE A GOOD LOOKING CORPSE!" He was a James Dean prototype..."Rebel Without A Cause"... Dennis's Music was his "UNREQUITED CAUSE" I also so feel it is IRONIC that the "Pacific Ocean Blue" took his life... or perhaps there is some strange "Poetic Justice" to his dying in his beloved "Pacific Ocean Blue?" Smiley Smiley

http://beachboysarchives.com/page11
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 05, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »

Rocky - were you born in Youngstown, Ohio? Also the birthplace of Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, lightweight champion boxer during the mid-'80's!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 05, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »

No , you're thinking of Henry "moon river" Mancini
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »

Rocky, is that you and Stan at 8:25?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZFuslGLSU
Smiley If you mean... Did we pay Dennis a visit the next morning?... Yes we did! Smiley Smiley

Uh.. no, that's not at all what I meant. I meant, if you watch the video on the YouTube link there at 8 minutes 25 seconds, is that a picture of you and Stan with Brian sitting at the piano?

Please stop it with that story you've been telling over and over again on this thread. We get it, REALLY.
Are you asking a question you already know the answer to, or are you genuinely unsure if that is Stan and Rocky pictured at 8:25?
Smiley Good question Juice... and it wouldn't hurt to know which video... I just checked out all 9 of the Bio's where you can run the arrow down the time line to... 8:25... on all of them and there wasn't anything with Brian at a Piano on them. Maybe catlag could be more specific... like... the title of the video? But juice... I bet you know if it was Stan and I? Was it...?

Rocky, here's a screen grab of the picture.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 06, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »

Yep, there's Stan and the Rocker hard at work
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »

Smiley This is a message to Charles LePark... I finally got the correct spelling of your name from Custom Machine (a quick shout out...Thanks) and I have sent you a personal email.  Smiley Smiley

Well, that's almost the correct spelling... Smiley  Welcome to the board, and I have seen and replied to the personal message, hope to chat with you soon!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1087 on: February 07, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »

The best part of this thread was the Bob Dylan story. "You know Brian..."
Bob says "No, actually I don't" .

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:12 AM »

Smiley Part: 3  "Wha--Ooh"

Brian then expressed an interest in going upstairs to the VIP room. Doug Weston said, "No problem," and whispered to Stan and I "Do you think he'll stay longer up there than he did at Dylan's table?"  Both handlers replied in unison, "No!"  Upstairs, people recognized Brian as soon as he walked in and scrambled to offer to buy him drinks.  Some slicksters tried to slip him drugs, which Stan and I immediately confiscated. Stan announced loudly to everyone in the room, "Brian's turning over a new leaf.  Please do not give him any drugs!"
     Danny had made an announcement of his own: "Drinks are on me. I'm buying the house a round." Danny looked at Stan and I, we nodded and succinctly said, "One grasshopper-no vodka." Stan added... "and don't even think about trying to slip something in it Danny!"
     Brian chugged his drink and sat down looking thoroughly bored. About ten minutes later he said, "Let's go!" and bolted for the door. Stan pressed Brian to say goodbye to Danny." Brian said, "Later Danny." Hutton responded with a halfhearted, "But the party's just starting, Brian."
     That was Brian's big night on the town.  Inside the limo, with Stan driving and me seated in the back with Brian, I turned to Brian, the eccentric musical genius, and asked, "Did you have fun, Brian?"  Brian looked at me and, without really answering the question, said, "I guess we have to go out on tour next week."
     Feeling exasperated, I laughed and said, "Man, you're too much. I wish my biggest problem in life was having to go out on tour and perform in front of adoring fans screaming "We love you, Brian."  I mean, what a bummer that must be, performing in front of tens of thousands of cheering fans.  And then there's all that applause and adulation you have to contend with.  Singing is such sad, sorrowful business. You poor thing!"  Brian was his typically docile self during this harangue dripping with sarcasm.  Brian suddenly shifted his blank stare from outside the right rear window of the limo to his left and fixed his eyes on me... out of the blue, Brian threw his head back and cut loose with one of his rip-roaring belly laughs he's known for.
       Recapping Brian's triumphant return to performing at Anaheim stadium last year on July 3, 1976, (before I was hired) where before a capacity crowd of 55,000 rabid fans, the group nearly brought the house down, literally.  The upper tiers of the baseball stadium were rocking up and down like an earthquake was occurring. Stephen had a worried look on his face and was praying that the upper levels would hold.  The raucous audience was on its feet from the very first note of the beautiful intro to "California Girls" and no one sat down for the next ninety minutes!  Everyone was dancing, boogieing and singing along to the feel-good music.  Glee Love, the mother of Mike, Stephen and Stan, was a backstage guest that night and was awed by the sight of a huge crowd going wild.  She turned to Stephen and remarked, "That's hysteria out there!"  Stephen answered and assured his mother, "Yes, it is.  But it's good hysteria!" Stephen couldn't help notice a huge banner that was directly in front of the stage about twenty feet back that read: "Welcome Back, Brian!"  This pleased Stephen to no end.  This magnificent concert was turning into a lovefest for Brian. Smiley Smiley   Part: 4 to follow!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:09:37 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »

Can I kick off this week's questions, Rocky?

This phrase:

"I wish my biggest problem in life was having to play Anaheim stadium next week in front of adoring fans screaming 'We love you Brian'…"

… has me wondering what problems you were indeed facing in your life at this time. Really grateful for all the Brian anecdotes you've treated us to this far but this is the first biographical clue that suggest things weren't going too well in your own life.

Will there be more about Rocky in the book or is the narrative to be restricted to your interactions with Brian?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1090 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »

A couple days before Brian's second tour in a decade...

Think you need to sack your fact-checker: if the show was indeed the 7/3/76 Anaheim show, then it was Brian's first full show since 11/5/70: however, he played few dates on that tour, and didn't resume full-time touring until next year.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1091 on: February 08, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »

Had Bob and Brian really not met?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »

Smiley Part: 3  "Wha--Ooh"

That next week Brian did perform with the Beach Boys at Anaheim stadium on July 3, 1976, where before a capacity crowd of 55,000 rabid fans, the group nearly brought the house down, literally.

I'm a little confused by the timeline. If Stan & Rocky were employed in June 1976, then Landy was already gone? I thought Landy lasted longer than that. When was he dismissed the first time?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: February 08, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »

Best I know, Landy was fired in December 1976. According to the Gaines book, Rocky wasn't officially in Brian's employ until spring 1977 (at $40,000 pa).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »

Smiley Dear Charles LePage,
         Alas, we finally meet (via e-mail). I wish to Thank You for creating "Smiley Smile" ... this site has changed my life! I will send you my personal e-mail and very much look forward to talking with you! Smiley Smiley
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »

Can I kick off this week's questions, Rocky?

This phrase:

"I wish my biggest problem in life was having to play Anaheim stadium next week in front of adoring fans screaming 'We love you Brian'…"

… has me wondering what problems you were indeed facing in your life at this time. Really grateful for all the Brian anecdotes you've treated us to this far but this is the first biographical clue that suggest things weren't going too well in your own life.

Will there be more about Rocky in the book or is the narrative to be restricted to your interactions with Brian?
Rocky, that's a great question from John and I'm also interested if there'll be some of your personal story and thoughts about what was going on back then.

Way, way back in this thread I asked if there was anything you'd do differently looking back, which would also be a good angle to add a little more to the beast.

And was the 'bowl?  We don't easily get that event down this way (unless you pay!)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 08, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »

Best I know, Landy was fired in December 1976. According to the Gaines book, Rocky wasn't officially in Brian's employ until spring 1977 (at $40,000 pa).

That's what I thought. So, in the summer of 1976, Stan & Rocky were...just hanging out with Brian? And Landy allowed that? Huh Shocked
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 08, 2016, 09:13:03 PM »

Smiley Part: 3  "Wha--Ooh"

Stephen had a worried look on his face and was praying that the upper levels would hold.  The raucous audience was on its feet from the very first note of the beautiful intro to "California Girls" and no one sat down for the next ninety minutes!  Everyone was dancing, boogieing and singing along to the feel-good music.  Glee Love, the mother of Mike, Stephen and Stan, was a backstage guest that night and was awed by the sight of a huge crowd going wild.  She turned to Stephen and remarked, "That's hysteria out there!"  Stephen answered and assured his mother, "Yes, it is.  But it's good hysteria!" Stephen couldn't help notice a huge banner that was directly in front of the stage about twenty feet back that read: "Welcome Back, Brian!"  This pleased Stephen to no end.  This magnificent concert was turning into a lovefest for Brian. Smiley Smiley

Tis true.  I was at the show in field box seats. The upper decks were bouncing so much we were worried they were going to fall down.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 08, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »

Rocky, do you recall where you lived when you played with the Als in Montreal?

Make waves, not love
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 08, 2016, 11:07:50 PM »

Tis true.  I was at the show in field box seats. The upper decks were bouncing so much we were worried they were going to fall down.

Same thing happened at Anaheim Stadium a year earlier, May 23, 1975.  The upper decks were bouncing up and down so much I was concerned they might collapse and was glad that I was on the field level. They kept flashing messages on the scoreboard, something like "Please no dancing on the upper decks" or perhaps "Please remain seated on the upper decks." None of this occurred when Chicago was performing, just the BBs.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx