gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:26:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489968 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 28, 2016, 02:06:53 AM »

This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 28, 2016, 02:31:38 AM »

This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.
but most every thread ends this way

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 28, 2016, 02:34:08 AM »

Grammer wasn't my best subject but as a fellow college graduate (you did graduate?), let me throw you a couple bones:
Grin
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 28, 2016, 03:55:12 AM »

Smiley Well, "WONDERS" never do cease... first "chaki"... #TEAMROCKY! Is that from those teen movies... "Twilight"?... Smiley Smiley and now... I'm not the only one who gets corrected... Allan Smith corrected Juice... "unproportionally""... that would be the same as "disproportionate" would it not? this is a good day  Smiley

Almost a point, but while correcting Alan you could at least spell his name correctly…
LOL I'm fine with the Allan thing, happens quite oftenally

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 28, 2016, 04:04:34 AM »

Allan Smithy Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:48 AM »

You know that there are only a couple hundred readers of this board, right?

At any given time a large number of readers are guests, and thus not necessarily members. And, as previously stated, not all members are active posters, but they may still be readers.

You are incorrect that I made that assumption. Given the ratio of reads to posts (about 47) I don't think it would be off to say that <200 people are reading.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:09:08 AM by Emily » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 28, 2016, 07:17:06 AM »

I thought Rocky's avatar was a recent pic of AGD...
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 28, 2016, 09:22:31 AM »

You are incorrectly assuming that all readers of this board are members. At any given time a large number of readers are guests, and thus not necessarily members. And, as previously stated, not all members are active posters, but they may still be readers.

You are incorrect that I made that assumption. Given the ratio of reads to posts (about 47) I don't think it would be off to say that <200 people are reading.

You said "there are only a couple hundred readers of this board." That statement is factually incorrect. As far as how many people are reading this thread, I have no idea, but the ratio of reads to posts isn't a valid way to determine the number of people who are actively reading or have read part or all of this thread, especially when you have made well over 120 posts in this thread alone.

Emily, you have made some very good points in your posts in this thread and others, but please keep in mind that when you overload a thread with posts, as you have done in this one and others, many readers will start skipping over your posts, thinking, "Oh, there goes Emily, making the same point over and over again." And please understand that I'm not saying this with malice, but rather in an attempt to impart some useful info.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 28, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »

You are incorrectly assuming that all readers of this board are members. At any given time a large number of readers are guests, and thus not necessarily members. And, as previously stated, not all members are active posters, but they may still be readers.

You said "there are only a couple hundred readers of this board." That statement is factually incorrect. As far as how many people are reading this thread, I have no idea, but the ratio of reads to posts isn't a valid way to determine the number of people who are actively reading or have read part or all of this thread, especially when you have made well over 120 posts in this thread alone.

Emily, you have made some very good points in your posts in this thread and others, but please keep in mind that when you overload a thread with posts, as you have done in this one and others, many readers will start skipping over your posts, thinking, "Oh, there goes Emily, making the same point over and over again." And please understand that I'm not saying this with malice, but rather in an attempt to impart some useful info.

Regarding what you quoting me saying - you are quite right - I should have said "thread."
I think the ratio of reads to posts multiplied by 4 or so would be a good estimate. You could multiply by 6, maybe 10 at most, I'd think. Beyond that I'd think it's getting pretty unrealistic.
That's a good point about whether people are reading all my posts, though I'm not sure how much that matters to me - I'll reflect on it (edited to add that of course I usually want someone to read my posts, but most often my posts seem to be in response to another specific post, so my main interest is whether that specific individual reads it. Perhaps I should consider PM for these cases.)  I had been thinking that, since it's a message board, the quantity of posts I make does not affect the quantity of posts other people can make, so I hadn't thought of it as problematic. In a physical space, you have to take turns but not really on a message board.
But you make a good point for me to consider. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:54:52 AM by Emily » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52:50 AM »

Smiley Good morning Smile,... Part:1  Chapter 12
                                                                                                    "Wha--Ooh"

One of the highlights of Stephen Love's six-year management tenure with the Beach Boys was last year's resurrection and long-awaited return of Brian Wilson, the musical genius who, after a long extended period of inactivity, played his first concert in nearly a decade at Anaheim Stadium on July 3, 1976. Which took place before I was hired to work for Brian as a bodyguard/handler. Soon after this monumental show Marilyn answered a call from Danny Hutton of Three Dog Night, one of Brian's old party buddies and a favorite singer. "He has some pipes," Brian would say.  He was also a babe magnet.  He and Brian were notorious for carousing and hell-raising.  Two rich and famous boozers and drug gluttons.  Nothing was off limits. They had no boundaries... and when it came to drugs and excess, those two wrote the book!  When everyone else was taking one hit of acid, they would take two... or...?  But who's counting? Their idea of a weekend spree wasn't a three hundred dollar eight ball, it was a thousand dollars worth.   They had lots of like-minded friends.  And upon receiving delivery of the goods, the question to the dealer was, "Can you get us more if we need it?  Here's a hundred for your time.  Stay by the phone."
     Marilyn decided to make an exception this once and allow Brian to hang out with Danny because he swore to her he was off drugs and was convincing about it.  However, she relented mainly because she believed the newly hired bodyguard-handlers, Stan and myself, could handle the situation.  After all, Brian was finally touring again after nearly a decade. Willing to put all things to the test, she consented.  She was also giving Brian some freedom of movement and agreed to let him wander from his beloved safe haven, home sweet home, because Brian had agreed to take Marilyn on their first vacation in five years, to San Tropez, somewhere Marilyn had been dying to go for years.  This was a mecca for the jet set, the "in" spot for the rich and famous.  She had already gone ahead and made reservations at the Byblos Hotel, which was the ultra cool place to stay.
     Stan and I drove Brian to the chic c*ck 'n' Bull restaurant on Sunset Boulevard at 7:00 pm the next Saturday night and were promptly seated at Danny's table.  He was three sheets to the wind, was mindlessly pushing his food around on the plate in front of him, and was singing something in a Brian-like falsetto voice.  After watching fifteen minutes of incoherent interaction take place between Brian and Danny, Stan asked, "Hey, you guys, want to go to the Troubadour?" "Yeah!" was the immediate joint response.  So Danny left a hundred dollar bill on the table and off they went... but not before Danny slipped and fell getting into Brian's limo.  He turned to his compadres, laughing good-naturedly, and said, "It's not a party until somebody falls down!"  When they arrived at the Troubadour and turned the limo over to the valet, they were greeted at the door by the owner himself, Doug Weston, who said, "Well, well, well, what do you know? First Bob Dylan and Joan Baez... and now Brian Wilson and Danny Hutton.  What a star-studded night!" All four of Brian's party were comped, as they say, and Brian immediately said, "I want to sit with Bob!"  So Stan gave me the task of asking Dylan if that would be okay with him.  I nervously approached the living legend, politely excused my intrusion, and explained to Bob that I was one of Brian Wilson's bodyguard-handlers and would like to know if Brian could join him. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:25:17 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »

The last few posts from Balboa are even more disturbing, like a thesaurus as been used to make the post seem "educated".

I'm wondering when the quotation mark and caps lock keys are going to give out on Rocky's keyboard, due to overuse.

Tee-HEE!

Don't you mean "Tee-HEE"?

Sorry, that's going to be my only contribution to this "discuss-ION".

But that's what I did say!  Someone send me RP's coppy editer...

Somebody dropped the all-important QUOTATION "marks".
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 28, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »

Smiley Good morning Smile,... Part: 1 of Chapter 12
                                                                                                              "Wha--Ooh"

A couple days before Brian's second tour in a decade Marilyn answered a call from Danny Hutton of Three Dog Night, one of Brian's old party buddies and a favorite singer. "He has some pipes" Brian would say. He was also a babe magnet. He and Brian were notorious for carousing and hell-raising. Two rich and famous boozers and drug gluttons. Nothing was off limits. They had no boundaries... and when it came to drugs and excess, those two wrote the book! When everyone else was taking one hit of acid, they would take two... or...?  But who's counting? Their idea of a weekend spree wasn't a three hundred dollar eight ball, it was a thousand dollars worth, they had lot's of friends. And upon receiving delivery, the question to the dealer was, "Can you get us more if we need it? Here's a hundred for your time. Stay by the phone."
     Marilyn decided to make an exception this once and allow Brian to hang out with Danny because he swore to her he was off drugs and was convincing about it. But she relented mainly because Stan and Rocky could handle the situation. After all, Brian had completed his first tour in a decade. Willing to put all things to the test, she consented. She was also giving Brian some freedom of movement and agreed to let him wander from his beloved safe haven, home sweet home, because Brian had agreed to take Marilyn on their first vacation in five years, to San Tropez, somewhere Marilyn had been dying to go for years. This was a mecca for the jet set, the "in" spot for the rich and famous. She had already gone ahead and made reservations at the Byblos Hotel, which was the ultra cool place to stay.
     Stan and Rocky drove Brian to the chic C*ck 'n' Bull restaurant on Sunset Boulevard at 7:00 pm Saturday night and were promptly seated at Danny's table. He was three sheets to the wind, was mindlessly pushing his food around on the plate in front of him, and was singing something in a Brian-like falsetto voice. After watching fifteen minutes of incoherent interaction take place between Brian and Danny, Stan asked, "Hey, you guys, want to go to the Troubadour?" "Yeah!" was the immediate joint response. So Danny left a hundred dollar bill on the table and off they went... but not before Danny slipped and fell getting into Brian's limo. He turned to his compadres , laughing, and said, "It's not a party until somebody falls down!" When they arrived at the Troubadour and turned the limo over to the valet, they were greeted at the door by the owner himself, Doug Weston, who said, "Well, well, well, what do you know? First Bob Dylan and Joan Baez... and now Brian Wilson and Danny Hutton. What a star studded night!" All four of Brian's party were comped, as they say, and Brian immediately said, "I want to sit with Bob!" So Stan dispatched Rocky to ask Dylan if that would be okay with him. Rocky approached the living legend politely, excused the intrusion, and explained to Bob that he was one of Brian Wilson's body-handlers and would like to know if Brian could join him.

And you know all of this actually took place (dialogue and all) because you were there the whole time? Very impressive memory, recalling words spoken some 40 years ago...

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 28, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »

We are due 2 books this year by Mike and Brian. Are you going to question their recollections as well? Of course there is going to be some artistic licence from so long ago and individual opinions. Let it slide at this stage.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:09:00 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 28, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »

Nice prose.  I'll buy a copy.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 28, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »

We are due 2 books this year by Mike and Brian. Are you going to question their recollections as well? Of course there is going to be some artistic licence from so long ago and individual opinions. Let it slide at this stage.

Yep. I think it's obvious I'm not Mr Pamplin's biggest admirer by quite a long way, but I think him writing ' Brian immediately said, "I want to sit with Bob!" ' rather than 'Brian immediately said he wanted to sit with Bob' is not something to complain about.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 28, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »

Nice prose.  I'll buy a copy.

need's... "more"... ELLIPSES!

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 28, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »

Looking forward to reading more.

Stephen made an interesting point, when asked about Why Rocky wouldn't self publish, and that was the opinion that Rocky will need a publisher with a strong legal department to fight off potential lawsuits from Mike et al.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 28, 2016, 12:33:44 PM »

Yep. I think it's obvious I'm not Mr Pamplin's biggest admirer by quite a long way, but I think him writing ' Brian immediately said, "I want to sit with Bob!" ' rather than 'Brian immediately said he wanted to sit with Bob' is not something to complain about.

I guess it all depends on the type of book you want to be reading. For me, if you are creating quotes for people that didn't really say this or that, why would't you also be creating events, encounters, anything? For sure, there can be things that are memorable, like if Carl said "F*** you, Rocky", that's one you don't forget. But dialogues going on throughout whole chapters, from my point of view, affects the author's credibility, especially when you tell a story from so long ago on the sole basis of memory. I'm sure it's also a matter of taste, but for me it's a turn off.

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 28, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »

This book will be one of the top 6 Beach Boys-related books to come out in 2016!

Emily - post as often as you like.  I like reading your thoughts.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 28, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

I've enjoyed the banter myself, but I'll happily shut up.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 28, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »

I've enjoyed the banter myself, but I'll happily shut up.
The moment the thread started being about the posters is when the man in the subject line became a poster, which is actually when it started being interesting.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »

Am I missing something? Why is that extract written in the third person?

“We live in divisive times.”
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 28, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »

Smiley John Manning,... That extract... is written in the third person as opposed to the first person... because I did not want to see I...I...I... all over the book.(like some people and their endless opinions) I wanted the book to be more about the Beach Boys for the purpose of getting published. My feeling was that it would  be easier to get someone to read a book, by an unknown writer, that was more about someone else than oneself. We already have an excellent writer putting it in the first person... which will also create more of an inner dialogue... taking the reader on a more personal journey with the writer... allowing more understanding into him... and making a controversial character a more sympathetic one! John, that was a fair question... I'm glad you asked... I wanted to address the issue. This will be all I have to say about this chapter...while I post it. Smiley Smiley SMILE Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:57:25 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:43 PM »

This is one helluva roller coaster ride, people. One thing I'll say for Rocky, leaving aside all else, is that he seems to remember how to be loose, live in the moment and not be overly PC and uptight, like so many people are nowadays, an approach that was synonymous with the 1970s but is endangered today. I kind of envy that....

Personally I find that well over 90% of complaints about "PC" seem to be from people complaining that they are asked to treat others with basic decency.
There will, of course, be cases where people go too far or act like idiots in that respect, as there are in any culture, because humans are still, alas, humans. But personally I'd rather the problems that come with so-called "PC culture" than the problems that come with a culture where punching incapacitated people in the face or beating someone badly enough that his throat is permanently damaged are considered acceptable behaviour, even if the people in the second culture are more relaxed (at least those doing the beating -- I would guess that those being beaten are probably "uptight").

I said "leaving aside all else" meaning just that. Also, was not implying that those commenting here were overly uptight or PC, the criticisms here are entirely valid, just making a general statement about the modern societal zeitgeist and bemoaning the loss of some of the more carefree aspects of bygone eras.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:18:50 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 29, 2016, 01:35:26 AM »

Smiley John Manning,... That extract... is written in the third person as opposed to the first person... because I did not want to see I...I...I... all over the book... I wanted the book to be more about the Beach Boys for the purpose of getting published. My feeling was that it would  be easier to get someone to read a book, by an unknown writer, that was more about someone else than oneself. We already have an excellent writer putting it in the first person... which will also create more of an inner dialogue... taking the reader on a more personal journey with the writer... allowing more understanding into him... and making a controversial character a more sympathetic one! John, that was a fair question... I'm glad you asked... I wanted to address the issue. This will be all I have to say about this chapter...while I post it. Smiley Smiley SMILE Smiley Smiley
The third person approach makes for a pretty effective and evocative read, Rocky - a great tale.

So, we've got a context re  the Wilson bro's - are you willing to give us a Mike chapter?

Also, what's the status re you & Stan these days?

I noticed Stan appeared in Mike's recent birthday photos, so I guess the Love is in the air for those two?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx