gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:30:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 493463 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:51 AM »

I am an underachiever it’s true,

Now you are underselling yourself. 

Emily, your post packs one heck of a punch and I'm glad I'm not on the end of it.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 20, 2016, 07:14:55 AM »

Thanks PrettyFunky. I was sure I'd read that before!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 20, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »

Emily kicked some major ass! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 20, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »

Didn't want to add another "view" to the 37,000(?) count but I must say that it was inevitably leading to this "insulting posters who disagree" meltdown. Just like what Lorren Daro did. Smb. had to voice what is in tongue of, I'm sure, most of us. Emily gets affirmative nod.
& duh, we love Brian.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »

Didn't want to add another "view" to the 37,000(?) count but I must say that it was inevitably leading to this "insulting posters who disagree" meltdown. Just like what Lorren Daro did. Smb. had to voice what is in tongue of, I'm sure, most of us. Emily gets affirmative nod.
& duh, we love Brian.
RRA1 - glad to see you post and drew that analogy.  What both (Daro and Pamplin) have written is very troubling and has a "tell all" aspect.  Some things are better left unsaid.  Discretion is the better part of valor.  The band, and their children deserve privacy, with that which is not onstage or public from the outset.  It only serves to provoke hurt and anger and serves no useful purpose, and that is my own position.  

But, with my teacher hat on, I can't jump in and disrespect someone who did not have the same educational opportunities with which I have blessed, and continue to be.   We are not here to spell-check or grammar-check and I cannot support that.  It takes  a lot for a boomer to jump into technology, especially if they learned to type on a manual typewriter, and not in a computer world, but, a word-processing world and do not either know or understand the nuanced language and etiquette of electronic communication.  I like to listen to "what" someone has to say, rather than "how" they say it.  

And, even if Mr. Love went to a 2nd tier school, likely the books were the same as the top tier. His academic distinction is irrelevant to me.  He passed and got the degree, to his credit.  He might have been the first to earn a graduate degree in his family (that is speculative on my part.)

My hat is off to people with business or finance degrees.  The math would have killed me.  (I went in another direction.)

But, I can understand a person's revulsion by that kind of behavior few would condone so it presents a dilemma.  What happened was shameful, and what children who lost their fathers, want to read this crap? Just sayin'.  There is enough good stuff to celebrate.  JMHO

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:28:00 AM by filledeplage » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »

I've been lurking "IN" this thread for a bit, quietly observing Mr. Pamplin's unique style "OF" writing and waiting for him to piss off the wrong person. Fabulous job, Emily!

- B00ts
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #731 on: January 20, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »

How about talking about the music, Rocky? Just a thought.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 20, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »

Emily, please take this as a compliment.....your a stud !!!   

One curious thought.  As a traveler to Spokane WA. many times a year to see my grandchildren, how in the world would the Spokesman Review (which is still the morning paper there) have gotten this story....Rather amazing I would think.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 20, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »

Emily, please take this as a compliment.....your a stud !!!   

One curious thought.  As a traveler to Spokane WA. many times a year to see my grandchildren, how in the world would the Spokesman Review (which is still the morning paper there) have gotten this story....Rather amazing I would think.

This was an excerpt from the Gaines book. Like I said many pages back, even before the Chicago/Minnesota airport story was brought up, we haven't heard anything in this thread that wasn't in Heroes and Villains.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 20, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »

But, with my teacher hat on, I can't jump in and disrespect someone who did not have the same educational opportunities with which I have blessed, and continue to be.  

And quite right you are, FdP, in this sentiment; particularly as the educational opportunities in the United States are so unevenly distributed. However, it seems that Mr. Pamplin had decent opportunities (he did go to college) and squandered them.
Regarding your continuing education, that is an opportunity that you gave yourself, which is particularly impressive.

And, even if Mr. Love went to a 2nd tier school, likely the books were the same as the top tier.        

I would argue that textbooks are of negligible importance at the graduate level but I have no desire to argue with you. eta: I suppose this depends on the field, to a degree.
What I'd rather say is that your sentiment here is quite right as well.

I would never have compared credentials with Mr. Pamplin if he hadn't, essentially, challenged me to.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:03:41 PM by Emily » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »

Emily - I know you don't throw your creds around recklessly, but you were challenged to share them.  I'd just like to say that I have a bit of Emily-envy going on and I suspect, by their posts, that others here do as well.  I don't regret my life, but if I had it to do over again, I certainly would be proud to have taken your course.  Thanks for all that you've done.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »

But, with my teacher hat on, I can't jump in and disrespect someone who did not have the same educational opportunities with which I have blessed, and continue to be.  

And quite right you are, FdP, in this sentiment; particularly as the educational opportunities in the United States are so unevenly distributed. However, it seems that Mr. Pamplin had decent opportunities (he did go to college) and squandered them.
Regarding your continuing education, that is an opportunity that you gave yourself, which is particularly impressive.

And, even if Mr. Love went to a 2nd tier school, likely the books were the same as the top tier.        

I would argue that textbooks are of negligible importance at the graduate level but I have no desire to argue with you.

I would never have compared credentials with Mr. Pamplin if he hadn't, essentially, challenged me to.

Emily - I cannot understand why anyone's credentials were ever an issue except to justify doing a management  job.  

It is unfortunate  for anyone to dredge up this garbage for band members' children and grandchildren to read.  

The music should remain the focal point.  Perhaps there is some opinion being relied on, or speculation that there is a market for this crap. As someone in the thread pointed out, much of it was written about previously.  

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:07:47 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 20, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »

I would argue that textbooks are of negligible importance at the graduate level but I have no desire to argue with you.

Emily - I cannot understand why anyone's credentials were ever an issue except to justify doing a management  job.  

It is unfortunate  for anyone to dredge up this garbage for band members' children and grandchildren to read.  

The music should remain the focal point.  Perhaps there is some opinion being relied on, or speculation that there is a market for this crap. As someone in the thread pointed out, much of it was written about previously.  

Indeed.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 20, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »

Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  "GOOD MOURNING WANKERS"... well what do you know... there are " 3 " more "angry half dozen" for a grand total of NINE... your almost up to a DOZEN! Keep "HATING" and supporting one another, MAYBE SOME DAY, they'll give a "NOBEL HATERS PRIZE" and your claim to fame can be... at least some of us can spell... but MOSTLY "we" can "HATE" with the best of them! John Manning, your right, this thread has just graduated... now we have "posters" SUCKING up to "imposters". LURKING in the "shadows" just waiting to "pounce" and reveal their true inner vicious nature "You go girl"! Which only goes to show you... your no better than the POT calling the KETTLE! Oh... and before I forget the wanna-be "MODEL"... Range Rover... why did you even bother to wear a sweater in the icon picture you selected to "display" of yourself! Personally I liked it... it's a genuine depiction of who you are... unlike people who post their FAMILY'S RESUME'S about the MOST EXCITING subject matter EVER! But that's what people do when they can't write a "BOOK" of their "OWN"! Let along "A MEMOIR" of their MOST EXCITING LIFE! Now getting back to something that matters... "IF" my dangling anecdote about YOUR BELOVED BRIAN GETTING ON A PLANE, WITH A COMPLETE STRANGER, GOING TO MINNESOTA IN THE DEAD OF WINTER..."BAREFOOT" has been written before.. WHO can tell me "WHAT HAPPENS TO BRIAN" (and "no fare" going back to something already written... your on the HONOR system... of YOUR high standards) if you all have such critical and complete  knowledge of whats relevant... and what's not! Smiley Smiley Smiley WHO SAVES BRIAN FROM DISASTER. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:48:09 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 20, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »

The word "haters" gets thrown around a lot these days - it's a nice way to deflect any and all criticism, so that anyone who calls you on your stuff is a "hater"; rather like trumpeting one's credentials and achievements to shut others down, when the world is full of credentialed and well-known people who aren't necessarily competent.

Just an observation.

I too enjoyed Emily's post a lot.  Given what Mr. Pamplin has chosen to share with us, and how he shares it, I think a very, um, earned, criticism.  

I'm gonna me too, my uncle invented canola oil!  I think everyone on this thread should post their family resumes...go!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:28:43 PM by adamghost » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 20, 2016, 12:31:09 PM »

I'm gonna me too, my uncle invented canola oil!  I think everyone on this thread should post their family resumes...go!
Wait... really? If so, that is a really cool achievement.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 20, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »

...and my mom wrote the Cliff's Notes for Les Miserables.  Wink  Now, next!   Let's get out those family resumes!  I wanna hear 'em, and I know Mr. P. is anxious to hear them as well...   Grin
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 20, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »

...and my mom wrote the Cliff's Notes for Les Miserables.  Wink  Now, next!   Let's get out those family resumes!  I wanna hear 'em, and I know Mr. P. is anxious to hear them as well...   Grin
Awesome. And I know you've done great work :-) and Debbie KL, you've done some fascinating research!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »

I'm gonna me too, my uncle invented canola oil!

Was he the marketing genius that renamed it from rapeseed?
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 20, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »

Smiley Hey Canola,... You and Emily should date... you sound perfect for each other! You can do something other than reading "SMILE" a web site about MY BOOK! You can compare FAMILY RESUMES! And YES I too think everyone should POST their family's accomplishments ..."in lieu of their own"... unless, of course, you have a "BOOK" you've "WRITTEN" you would like to share with the other 37,991 reads...or  maybe even a few family recipes... that will leave a better taste in the mouths of the SMILE readers than the "angry 3/4 of a dozen" WHO INITIATED THE INSULTS...OF WHICH THERE ARE MANY! (check the posts... fact checkers)  Long before I ever started RETALIATING I warned "Let the person who has not INSULTED cast the first stone! It's all Fair in LOVE and WAR... NOW!  Smiley  SMILE Smiley and the READS just keep right on CLIMBING... SOARING!!! "keep being angry" It's "clearly" a recipe for getting PUBLISHED...I truly can't THANK YOU ENOUGH... and I mean this from the TOP of my heart! KEEP "INSULTING" IT'S "WORKING"  Smiley    LOVE  YA   Smiley  YOU DID'T THINK I WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU "THE WHOLE BOOK" PLEASE!!! Smiley JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG!  Smiley "YOU STILL HAVE NOT TOLD ME WHO SAVES BRIAN FROM DISASTER??? Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:56:21 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »

Rocky, by "graduated" I meant that Emily communicated with considerable eloquence what a lot of us here have felt for a long time.

Others have pointed out that you've shared nothing beyond what anyone who's read Gaines' book already knows. It (your book) seems set be to a dirt-dishing sleeze-fest, which I think is regrettable.

I noticed a recent post of yours was heavily edited a while after it first appeared and was subsequently pretty legible - is someone helping you with that?

If we're going into CVs, well I've 30+ years as an editor, writer and journalist behind me, including a couple of hiking guides (nothing to fuel a best-seller like slugging a drugged-up or inebriated Beach Boy to add spice, I'm afraid…) and I've picked up a handful of awards along the way (easily done if no-one else enters - give it a try! LOL ).

Other than that my rock and roll lifestyle's not amounted to much: I rolled joints and hung out with John Martyn a couple or three times (I doubt you'll have heard of him, he was a cult British singer/songwriter, folk/jazz/blues influenced), hung out backstage with The Darts once when I was kid (again, doubt you'll have heard of them; mid-70s UK rock and roll/doowop revival outfit), and snuck into a BW Hollywood Bowl aftershow party to chat with Van Dyke Parks once. I even met Brian Wilson several times between 2002 and 2004 but I never plugged up the courage to knock him out cold or ask Melinda out on a date. I guess I'll never amount to much…

(Edited for typos and clarification here n there…)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:03:53 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 20, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »

*shrug*  it's just possible I and others here have pretty decent resumes ourselves, but feel that posting it to get in a p*ssing match (Emily excepted, since she was personally called out) would be a pretty dorky and needlessly insecure thing to do (though not dissing anybody else who wants to...I'm into hearing it, myself)

Posting our family resumes however, is dang nice satire, and I think humor always defuses toxicity.  All the funnier when humor goes right over one's head and is interpreted as anger.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:36:51 PM by adamghost » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 20, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »

I'm gonna me too, my uncle invented canola oil!

Was he the marketing genius that renamed it from rapeseed?

LOL, I don't know!  Horrible name isn't it?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 20, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »

Rocky, show us a picture of the "flabby" pamplin of today. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 20, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »

I'm pretty baffled as to why Rocky keeps coming here, like what is he getting out of all this? 

And I also don't get why keeps rambling on about "what happened to Brian", I'm pretty sure we all know the answer

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx