gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:41:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489777 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 11, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »

Unfortunately its probably a male type territorial thing Emily. A dude I met got locked up in a holding cell for a night many years ago with several others. A big guy came over and tried to intimidate him. He said he had 2 choices. Hit the guy or be his b!tch. He hit the guy, got a hiding but was left alone after that by everyone.

Rightly or wrongly Carl did something similar to Rocky and Carl probably knew a ex pro football player could give him a slap in return.  

End of the day, violence while on tour has been around for years. Charlie Watts even socked Mick Jagger and they probably have got on great since because of it.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/people/42043/day-charlie-watts-punched-mick-jagger-face

Sometimes it is just plain evil though. Check out the Bill Graham/ Led Zeppelin story. I have just read 'Bill Graham Presents' and Zeps manager Peter Grant was a piece of work (and I am being kind)

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/led-zeppelin-in-the-media/94-1977-tour-ends-in-tragedy
Wow. Those are some stories. Yikes.
I think I'm really not communicating my thoughts on this well.

ETA: I have a strong opinion on what Rocky Pamplin is saying, but I'm not questioning other people's opinions (well, I have done so and I don't think it's an unreasonable topic but it wasn't the topic I meant to raise that led to this kerfluffle). It seemed to me that others were saying that it's not right to have an opinion, and maybe I misread that. But I was trying to ask, why can't one have an opinion? What's wrong with that? For instance, is it wrong for me to read the Led Zeppelin link above and think "that's f'ed up" and to think that some of the people involved were behaving badly?

And, I'm not asking that question again. I can see that I stepped into a mine-field and I'm sorry for it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:44:53 PM by Emily » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 11, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »

Unfortunately its probably a male type territorial thing Emily. A dude I met got locked up in a holding cell for a night many years ago with several others. A big guy came over and tried to intimidate him. He said he had 2 choices. Hit the guy or be his b!tch. He hit the guy, got a hiding but was left alone after that by everyone.

Rightly or wrongly Carl did something similar to Rocky and Carl probably knew a ex pro football player could give him a slap in return.  

End of the day, violence while on tour has been around for years. Charlie Watts even socked Mick Jagger and they probably have got on great since because of it.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/people/42043/day-charlie-watts-punched-mick-jagger-face

Sometimes it is just plain evil though. Check out the Bill Graham/ Led Zeppelin story. I have just read 'Bill Graham Presents' and Zeps manager Peter Grant was a piece of work (and I am being kind)

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/led-zeppelin-in-the-media/94-1977-tour-ends-in-tragedy
Wow. Those are some stories. Yikes.
I think I'm really not communicating my thoughts on this well.

ETA: I have a strong opinion on what Rocky Pamplin is saying, but I'm not questioning other people's opinions (well, I have done so and I don't think it's an unreasonable topic but it wasn't the topic I meant to raise that led to this kerfluffle). It seemed to me that others were saying that it's not right to have an opinion, and maybe I misread that. But I was trying to ask, why can't one have an opinion? What's wrong with that? For instance, is it wrong for me to read the Led Zeppelin link above and think "that's f'ed up" and to think that some of the people involved were behaving badly?

And, I'm not asking that question again. I can see that I stepped into a mine-field and I'm sorry for it.

I think anybody who doesn't have an opinion about something hasn't thought about it much!  

Much as I love the music, I'm glad I didn't have to function as a person in the music world of the '60s and '70s.  At the point I got into it (mid '80s) it was just becoming acceptable for the first time since the mid '60s to be a non-drug user in a rock band.  That's how embedded in the culture it was; if you did not at least smoke pot you were distrusted and you weren't going to be able to "hang" in a band.

I did read your edit, and enjoyed it!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 12, 2016, 02:25:44 AM »

Adam, I do think you are on the money in terms of the prevailing "mindset" that existed in the rock scene from roughly 1967-80. As someone who worked around the fringes of the media (long story, not worth the space here...!) during that time, I can tell you that the aura of the "rock lifestyle" was omnipresent and musicians who eschewed that found it extremely difficult to be given props in the press. Let's recall how much derision was thrown in the faces of groups like the Carpenters, who had the temerity to be "squeaky clean" (though Richard did wind up with a serious quaalude addiction once the band stopped having hits, and we all know what happened to poor Karen).

That said, there's no way that what Rocky did was "right." It's never "right" to resort to violence unless your life is at stake. I'm sure Rocky felt justified by what was going down in what must have been a really screwed-up (read: vintage late 70s Beach Boys) situation, and he was, from what I've read, on the "right" side of the issues involved. He should acknowledge that, I think, and we should grant him forgiveness for being put into a situation where he may have been compelled to act badly in defense of what he thought was right. We have all been in situations like that in our lives, and almost all of us have regrets for how we behaved in those situations. It does not make us bad people, it just makes us human.

I'm glad to see Rocky here, and I am glad that the response to him has been so much more level-headed than was the case in earlier situations when the individual with actual historical connection to the band was at least as "controversial." That's the sign that this board is evolving into a place where the quest for truth and historical accuracy can itself suspend judgment long enough to get down into the messiness of the facts in a way that can prove useful and illuminating.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: January 12, 2016, 04:04:13 AM »

To me it's also fascinating that Mike, a guy who doesn't even play an instrument and couldn't write a melody if his life depended on it, thinks that he is entitled to 50% of Brian's creations. In the immortal words of Brian? Gecko (in the movie Wall Street" GREED IS GOOD"!!!

Mike's claim is based on him writing lyrics, not music. And, as Andrew pointed out, he was willing to settle for far less than 50%. Brian was reportedly agreeable to that, but got talked out of it by his attorneys.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: January 12, 2016, 04:06:19 AM »

Murry stiffed him... taking all the $750,000 for himself... thought he had it coming for all he had done for the Beach Boys...

Not that dissimilar to what Steve Love is accused of doing...
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:14 AM »

Smiley    Gerry,   Just a few words in regards to Landy. He was hired and fired, the first time, before I came on the scene. He was initially hired at $5,000.00 a month and proceeded to increase his Beverly Hills salary until he was charging Marilyn $20,000.00 a month! It was at that point when Stephen and Marilynn decided to fire the over reaching Landy "Dr. to the STARS"! Landy didn't even have an office at that time,as he claimed to have in Beverly  HILLS, he used to make house calls... which was fine by Brian... he didn't even have to leave his house for "treatment"... didn't even have to put on shoes! Marilyn delegated this responsibility to Stephen saying "Landy didn't even have the good sense to bring the bagels... at $20,000.00 a month! Marilyn handled all the expenses as well as making all decisions. She even voted for Brian in all Beach Boy related matters, which was the accepted practice, because Brian was "so out of it"! Brian simply didn't care... about anything except cigarettes, food, drugs and hibernating in bed. He couldn't be bothered! And if anyone tried to get him to participate in anything it was futile...a complete waste of time. No one could even get an "opinion" out of Brian! If one of the Beach Boys, or especially a Lawyer, persisted to wrangle an answer out of him he would let go with a resounding BELLY LAUGH, and a demented look in his eyes for them... like... are you nuts! SAD BUT TRUE! "WIPEOUT" is a down and dirty story of the TRUTH... about the Beach Boys! If you want a fairy tale... there's Alice and Wonderland! Smiley

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:56:51 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »

You know, for somebody who supposedly loved Brian and tried to get him off drugs and kept from a mental institution, you sure as hell love to bad mouth him.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 12, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »

Gerry,   Just a few words in regards to Landy. He was hired and fired, the first time, before I came on the scene. He was initially hired at $5,000.00 a month and proceeded to increase his Beverly Hills salary until he was charging Marilyn $20,000.00 a month! It was at that point when Stephen and Marilynn decided to fire the over reaching Landy "Dr. to the STARS"! Landy didn't even have an office at that time,as he claimed to have in Beverly  HILLS, he used to make house calls... which was fine by Brian... he didn't even have to leave his house for "treatment"... didn't even have to put on shoes! Marilyn delegated this responsibility to Stephen saying "Landy didn't even have the good sense to bring the bagels... at $20,000.00 a month! Marilyn handled all the expenses as well as making all decisions. She even voted for Brian in all Beach Boy related matters, which was the accepted practice, because Brian was "so out of it"!
Rocky, you may not know the answer to this, but was Marilyn Wilson paying for Landy, and subsequently for you and Stan, out of her and Brian's personal finances or were you and he paid out of BRI finances? It sounds like Stephen Love was involved in some of the decisions. Was that partially due to his role as the Beach Boys' manager?

Brian simply didn't care... about anything except cigarettes, food, drugs and hibernating in bed. He couldn't be bothered! And if anyone tried to get him to participate in anything it was futile...a complete waste of time. No one could even get an "opinion" out of Brian! If one of the Beach Boys, or especially a Lawyer, persisted to wrangle an answer out of him he would let go with a resounding BELLY LAUGH, and a demented look in his eyes for them... like... are you nuts! SAD BUT TRUE! "WIPEOUT" is a down and dirty story of the TRUTH... about the Beach Boys! If you want a fairy tale... there's Alice and Wonderland!                                                          

Given his lack of interest and it sounds like disdain for what was going on around him, did anyone float the idea of giving him a break from Los Angeles and the music industry for a bit? Maybe leaving Los Angeles with his family for a few years and focusing on getting well without the pressures he seemed to relentlessly face in LA?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:25:46 PM by Emily » Logged
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »

or was it just a pre consisting condition?

Is this the academic level of the writing we can expect in Wipeout?

Also, still waiting on the explanation for Young and the Restless. Why no credit at Internet Movie Database?
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:12 PM »

To me it's also fascinating that Mike, a guy who doesn't even play an instrument and couldn't write a melody if his life depended on it, thinks that he is entitled to 50% of Brian's creations. In the immortal words of Brian? Gecko (in the movie Wall Street" GREED IS GOOD"!!!

Mike's claim is based on him writing lyrics, not music. And, as Andrew pointed out, he was willing to settle for far less than 50%. Brian was reportedly agreeable to that, but got talked out of it by his attorneys.

Which raises an interesting question as to whether Mike initially asked for only 750k because he thought that is all he deserved...and later became greedy and took advantage of Brian's condition, or did he feel he was owed what he eventually won and initially asked for so little out of the kindness of his heart?

His initial request for only 750k could be very telling either way.

EoL
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:25:17 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »

Which raises an interesting question as to whether Mike initially asked for only 750k because he thought that is all he deserved...and later became greedy and took advantage of Brian's condition, or did he feel he was owed what he eventually won and initially asked for so little out of the kindness of his heart?

EoL

And, I believe it was based on Mike's understanding that helping Brian in the A&M lawsuit would rectify things regarding credit and royalties for "California Girls". In other words, if Mike's co-authorship of that one song had been established, and the previous non-recognition of it righted, perhaps he wouldn't have even sued in the first place.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »

EoL
My guess is that the 750,000 was a bit less than an on-the-money offer in hopes of avoiding case costs. When it was turned down, I'm guessing the much higher amount for the lawsuit was set, first in hopes of the other side backing down and settling, second to enter with an overestimate expecting it to be whittled down, thus the things like 409 and WIBN. To Mike Love's benefit, Brian Wilson, the main witness opposite Mike Love, refused to defend himself. So Mike Love got to keep the rightful winnings as well as the bargaining chips. Leaving us still with a very unclear picture of who actually wrote what.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »

EoL

And, I believe it was based on Mike's understanding that helping Brian in the A&M lawsuit would rectify things regarding credit and royalties for "California Girls". In other words, if Mike's co-authorship of that one song had been established, and the previous non-recognition of it righted, perhaps he wouldn't have even sued in the first place.
As far as you know, was this requested of BW and flat-out refused?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »

Very interesting read which has been around for years but may be new for some.

http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/lovevwilson1.html

With regard to California Girls. Mention is made in one of the chapters that the David Lee Roth version made $500k in royalties. Did Mike know that when he made the $750k offer? Surely if he did then his offer was exceedingly generous. If Brian's team knew then they we're exceedingly stupid, and rightfully deserved being sued later.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 12, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »

Very interesting read which has been around for years but may be new for some.

http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/lovevwilson1.html

With regard to California Girls. Mention is made in one of the chapters that the David Lee Roth version made $500k in royalties. Did Mike know that when he made the $750k offer? Surely if he did then his offer was exceedingly generous. If Brian's team knew then they we're exceedingly stupid, and rightfully deserved being sued later.
Brian's attorneys certainly gave him awful advice. He sued them later.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 12, 2016, 08:53:52 PM »

Also, still waiting on the explanation for Young and the Restless. Why no credit at Internet Movie Database?

A role doesn’t necessarily have to be credited.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »

EoL

I don't think Brian refused Mike's help - I'm under the impression that Mike was deposed, or otherwise gave testimony, that enhanced Brian's case. And the expected payback for that - finally giving Mike credit and royalties for "California Girls", which I'm told had long been promised him - didn't happen. That's when the lawsuit was filed, with the offer of a settlement.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »

EoL

I don't think Brian refused Mike's help - I'm under the impression that Mike was deposed, or otherwise gave testimony, that enhanced Brian's case. And the expected payback for that - finally giving Mike credit and royalties for "California Girls", which I'm told had long been promised him - didn't happen. That's when the lawsuit was filed, with the offer of a settlement.
Sorry for being unclear - do we know that Brian Wilson personally refused to put Mike's name on California Girls, and give him the royalties, or was it from his lawyers that it was refused and how the lawyers got there and Brian Wilson's actual role is, as is usual during this period, shrouded?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: January 12, 2016, 11:16:55 PM »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:17:58 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: January 13, 2016, 03:39:21 AM »

EoL

Sorry for being unclear - do we know that Brian Wilson personally refused to put Mike's name on California Girls, and give him the royalties, or was it from his lawyers that it was refused and how the lawyers got there and Brian Wilson's actual role is, as is usual during this period, shrouded?

I do not. I can only assume Brian was, as was so often the case, given bad advice. But the inaction left him open to the eventual lawsuit from Mike.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 13, 2016, 05:23:27 AM »

One thing I love about Brian is that often has the direct honesty of a child. When asked directly in that trial if Mike wrote lyrics he basically admitted so.
I remember reading that there was a very dramatic moment where Brain was playing keyboard in the courtroom

"The next day proved to be an amazing one. Remember that some of the exhibits were large photo blowups and they hung around the courtroom. The most ominous one was that of Murray. 

Brian returned to the stand a few days later and was describing verses and choruses and bridges and Brian's lawyers asked if it would be alright if Brian could demonstrate and the judge agreed. A yamaha portable keyboard was given to Brian on the stand. NOW THIS IS WHAT I WAS WAITING FOR!!! There were more people in the gallery this day(maybe Cool than usual and you could just feel the excitement in the air. Brian had a cold, so he was having a bit of a hard time, but went on to do 409 and I Get Around. Everyone in the place was very excited including the jury. Brian explained what the elements of a song were and that sort of thing. It was just too cool. After this, Brian answered some more questions which turned out to be damaging testimony to his case."
http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/lovevwilson5.html

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: January 13, 2016, 05:58:48 AM »

Brian was saying Mike had written the words for "California Girls" well before the trial. Back in the seventies, if not late sixties.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08:02 AM »

One thing I love about Brian is that often has the direct honesty of a child. When asked directly in that trial if Mike wrote lyrics he basically admitted so.
I remember reading that there was a very dramatic moment where Brain was playing keyboard in the courtroom

"The next day proved to be an amazing one. Remember that some of the exhibits were large photo blowups and they hung around the courtroom. The most ominous one was that of Murray. 

Brian returned to the stand a few days later and was describing verses and choruses and bridges and Brian's lawyers asked if it would be alright if Brian could demonstrate and the judge agreed. A yamaha portable keyboard was given to Brian on the stand. NOW THIS IS WHAT I WAS WAITING FOR!!! There were more people in the gallery this day(maybe Cool than usual and you could just feel the excitement in the air. Brian had a cold, so he was having a bit of a hard time, but went on to do 409 and I Get Around. Everyone in the place was very excited including the jury. Brian explained what the elements of a song were and that sort of thing. It was just too cool. After this, Brian answered some more questions which turned out to be damaging testimony to his case."
http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/lovevwilson5.html
The demonstration at the keyboard was "testimony."

But in the next chapter..."I talked to Mr. Flynn (Atty. Mike Flynn) that day and asked him about...that Brian should go after his own lawyers.  He told me this was going to happen. He had also told me at that time (about 3 months after the trial was ended), that Mike and Brian had written about eight songs together." 

That surfermoon link is a good one.  Wink   
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »

Brian was saying Mike had written the words for "California Girls" well before the trial. Back in the seventies, if not late sixties.

Yep. The *really* annoying thing about that trial is that because of the decision not to restore Mike's credit on the very obvious cases like California Girls (and really, does *anyone* doubt that one? It's the most Mike Love thing ever written), he ended up getting credit not only on the obvious and borderline ones, but on things like Wouldn't It Be Nice, which he had basically no involvement in and were obvious bargaining chips. (Yes, he probably did write those two lines, but that's all). And Mike now, because of a bad decision on *Brian's* lawyers' part, now also gets money that should have gone to other co-writers like Tony Asher, as well as Brian. Brian's bad legal advice ended up hurting people who were completely uninvolved in the lawsuit :-/

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:26 AM »

Yep. The *really* annoying thing about that trial is that because of the decision not to restore Mike's credit on the very obvious cases like California Girls (and really, does *anyone* doubt that one? It's the most Mike Love thing ever written), he ended up getting credit not only on the obvious and borderline ones, but on things like Wouldn't It Be Nice, which he had basically no involvement in and were obvious bargaining chips. (Yes, he probably did write those two lines, but that's all). And Mike now, because of a bad decision on *Brian's* lawyers' part, now also gets money that should have gone to other co-writers like Tony Asher, as well as Brian. Brian's bad legal advice ended up hurting people who were completely uninvolved in the lawsuit :-/
Andrew - had those other lyricists come forward and filed a claim, at the time of the lawsuit, they might have been joined as well as parties in the suit, they could have become part of the award. 

That was a step that they might have taken with assistance of their own legal counsel.   Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx