gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:20:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489964 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2016, 12:27:42 PM »

I live in NZ and was a teenager in 78. The country, and to a lesser degree Australia as well, we're probably thought to be straight laced and so far off the beaten track that drugs would be hard to come by. Apparently not so.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »

drbeachboy,   You inquired as to why Brian was on tour...if keeping DRUGS out of Brian's life was so important. I assume you mean why risk having him out there on the road...and accessible to people and drugs. Well lets examine the situation... Brian had been in bed for the better part of 10 years... doing massive amounts of DRUGS... and not much else... except EAT... which would explain why he was 306 lb's when Stephen hired Stan and I. If I haven't mentioned the fact already... I will again. Brian would keep large sums of money in his house... make a phone call... and put $1000.00 dollars in his mail box.That was the extent of the effort Brian would put forth in a normal week... besides chowing down steaks and ice cream and what ever else his heart desired... the Beverly Glen market was only a phone call away! Marilyn was young and couldn't stop the GREAT Brian Wilson from doing anything... she couldn't even get him to take a shower... or clip his toenails and heavily stained fingernails... I forgot to mention his CHAIN SMOKING two to three packs of Marlboro's a day! Brian's voice was ravaged... by design... and sex was a forgone conclusion. So... in answer to your question... why was Brian out on tour? IN short, it was to STOP this very serious self destructive lifestyle!!! Brian was caught in the life threatening THROES of addiction... and as most of you know... the DRUG ADDICT is the last one to know it... to do anything about it... or to even CARE that the problem exists! And time just has a way of slipping away! And then they DIE!!! Brian was trying to kill himself... weather he knew it or not...(some think he did) he had no desire to live! According to the Doctors... I know that seems hard for people to comprehend...because he was so talented and so admired and so rich and famous... and had so much to give to the world... SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR... but that was the bottom line. In Brian's mind LIFE was a twisted JOKE...he was LOST in a sea of deception(so to speak) at least that's what the SHRINKS conveyed to Marilyn and Stephen. So... they decided because Brian was a Musical Genius ... he should be doing some thing Musical. And because he was adamant about not wanting to write songs... or make hit records again... It was the Recording Studio... pacing around... until he got sick of that... and sits down at the Piano, and does what comes naturally to him, and then going out on the road (making money) but most of all... to interrupt the downward spiral of his existing DRUG infested life!!! That's the best I can explain it... I'm sure many of you can do better!

Fabulous post!  It makes sense and to a certain extent applies to Brian's life now.  We know he's not too comfortable touring, but the alternative is worse.  Hence, one of the reasons Brian still tours to this day.  The other, as with then, money!
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:07 PM »

Only in the Bizaro World of the Beach Boys would it make sense to take someone out of the confines of their home and put them on a major rock tour to try and keep them away from drugs.

This comment made me laugh out loud.

That said, it was the 70s and there was the notion of "just get 'em back to work and that'll fix 'em right up."  It does seem odd that encouraging touring and performing as a cure for someone who openly, clearly and adamantly has hated (and feared) it since 1964 seems odd.  Well, more than odd, it's freakin' irrational. But as others have pointed out, it's the Beach Boys.

Rocky, how aware was anyone around Brian that he was seriously mentally ill? Was his behavior all considered to be only due to drugs?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:14:25 PM by ChicagoAnn » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »

Smiley   mikeddonn,   Well, what do you know... You get it! Bravo... it seems your one of the few. Or perhaps it's the few who just don't get it... that post their expert ( or should I say inane) opinions constantly! Some people are so obsessed with trying to impress one another with how intelligent they are! My book "WIPEOUT" is about a dire situation regarding Brian's life! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:59:41 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2016, 05:10:05 PM »

mikeddonn,   Well, what do you know... You get it! Bravo... it seems your one of the few. Or perhaps it's the few who just don't get it... that post their expert ( or should I say inane) opinions constantly! Some people are so obsessed with trying to impress everyone with how intelligent they are! My book "WIPEOUT" is just about telling a story!
Hopefully, it answers the questions we have asked that haven't been addressed yet.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

Rocky, I'm interested in hearing more about the funny stuff and rumors that were mentioned about the song credits trials, is there more information you could share?

This is one topic that has always fascinated me.  I've never fully bought into the court decision in regards to each and every claim Mike made.  He was clearly up against someone unable to really defend himself and, though I don't know much about Brian, I can gather some insight via analogy, and I think he could easily have been in "I don't give a damn" mode or "I don't feel like fighting mode".  Add in a ruthless attorney combined with a semi-delusional Mike Love and the result could easily be Brian being taken advantage of while he sat by and let it happen.

So I am up for funny stories and rumors in regards to the song writing credits trials, if you are willing to share.

EoL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:52:07 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 08, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:32:11 PM by Emily » Logged
Chownow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 08, 2016, 05:34:30 PM »

Hi Rockcrush,

What do you mean when you say Brian Wilson has "permanent brain damage from doing too many drugs". I hadn't heard about this before.

Do you mean that you believe his mental illness was caused by drug use, or are you talking about something else?
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »

I have been under the assumption that if Brian has suffered any permanent damage it was due to the drugs Landy prescribed during the second go-round .
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 08, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »

Without going looking for the source, I'm sure Brian has said that the drugs he took (I'm assuming he means self prescribed) basically "messed with his mind".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »

Without going looking for the source, I'm sure Brian has said that the drugs he took (I'm assuming he means self prescribed) basically "messed with his mind".
It's pretty easy to confuse onset of schizoid symptoms with acid hallucinations.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: January 08, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »

It seems to me that there is more than one person posting here as 'rockrush'.  Read the posts.  Some are submitted by an individual who didn't get what one might call a formal education.

The odd few though?  Well let's say that THAT typist DID attend some classes.

Know what I mean?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 08, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »

It seems to me that there is more than one person posting here as 'rockrush'.  Read the posts.  Some are submitted by an individual who didn't get what one might call a formal education.

The odd few though?  Well let's say that THAT typist DID attend some classes.

Know what I mean?

I believe that they are posted by the same person. It's just that some of the posting seems to be cut and pasted from a book (rough) draft.

To each their own, but I think it's wiser to read his replies to poster's questions, and learn what we can from them, than trying to preach him out of the board. All lf us are entitled to our beliefs and our value system; but there must be an interesting story there, or two. And I say they're worth listening.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:02:20 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 08, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »

It seems to me that there is more than one person posting here as 'rockrush'.  Read the posts.  Some are submitted by an individual who didn't get what one might call a formal education.

The odd few though?  Well let's say that THAT typist DID attend some classes.

Know what I mean?

I believe that they are posted by the same person. It's just that some of the posting seems to be cut and pasted from a book (rough) draft.

To each their own, but I think it's wiser to read his replies to poster's questions, and learn what we can from them, than trying to preach him out of the board. All lf us are intitled to our beliefs and our value system; but there must be an interesting story there, or two. And I say they're worth listening.

ok but not because of this business of everyone being entitled to their beliefs and value systems. Some things are just wrong.
But because someone might be able to learn something they think is of value, I'll withdraw my above post for now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:37:24 PM by Emily » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 09, 2016, 04:41:31 AM »

Rocky
Some specific questions for you. Was the Australian/New Zealand tour the only time you went on the road with the beach boys? Or were you on the road for the very tense short tours in the states in October and November 1977 when the band was close to breaking up? Did you accompany them to the two nights of gigs in Hawaii at the end of that tour? Any stories about that? I know Marilyn and Brian's girls came to those.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 09, 2016, 06:27:22 AM »

drbeachboy,   You inquired as to why Brian was on tour...if keeping DRUGS out of Brian's life was so important. I assume you mean why risk having him out there on the road...and accessible to people and drugs. Well lets examine the situation... Brian had been in bed for the better part of 10 years... doing massive amounts of DRUGS... and not much else... except EAT... which would explain why he was 306 lb's when Stephen hired Stan and I. If I haven't mentioned the fact already... I will again. Brian would keep large sums of money in his house... make a phone call... and put $1000.00 dollars in his mail box.That was the extent of the effort Brian would put forth in a normal week... besides chowing down steaks and ice cream and what ever else his heart desired... the Beverly Glen market was only a phone call away! Marilyn was young and couldn't stop the GREAT Brian Wilson from doing anything... she couldn't even get him to take a shower... or clip his toenails and heavily stained fingernails... I forgot to mention his CHAIN SMOKING two to three packs of Marlboro's a day! Brian's voice was ravaged... by design... and sex was a forgone conclusion. So... in answer to your question... why was Brian out on tour? IN short, it was to STOP this very serious self destructive lifestyle!!! Brian was caught in the life threatening THROES of addiction... and as most of you know... the DRUG ADDICT is the last one to know it... to do anything about it... or to even CARE that the problem exists! And time just has a way of slipping away! And then they DIE!!! Brian was trying to kill himself... weather he knew it or not...(some think he did)... according to the Doctors... I know that seems hard for people to comprehend...because he was so talented and so admired and so rich and famous... and had so much to give to the world... SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR... but that was the bottom line. In Brian's mind LIFE was a twisted JOKE...he was LOST in a sea of deception(so to speak) at least that's what the SHRINKS conveyed to Marilyn and Stephen. So... they decided because Brian was a Musical Genius ... he should be doing some thing Musical. And because he was adamant about not wanting to write songs... or make hit records again... It was the Recording Studio... pacing around... until he got sick of that... and sits down at the Piano, and does what comes naturally to him, and then going out on the road (making money) but most of all to interrupt the downward spiral of his existing DRUG infested life! That's the best I can explain it. I'm sure many of you can do better! And I'm sure some of you will dazzle us with your espertise!

I'm sure people around Brian thought that it would be best to send him as far away as possible from whoever was bringing drugs to him at home. Everybody must have been doing the best they could... They loved Brian and wanted to help.

I've read many times about things Brian said about not wanting to live... And I remember Marilyn, in an interview for a documentary (I think it was IJWMFTT) talking about how Brian wanted to die, but then she said that it was "all very innocent". I always wondered what she meant by that... Did she not take it seriously?

Le moineau est venu se poser à ma fenêtre.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 09, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »

There could also be a genetic element but am not sure. Reading the famous Murry letter it seemed like his father may have had some issues as well. Brian's attempt to "self-medicate" probably exacerbated his issues beyond repair.

I've always believed Brian had a stroke and this is why his face/mouth tilts to a side. Stroke unfortunately damages the brain.

It's pretty easy to confuse onset of schizoid symptoms with acid hallucinations.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:15:37 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: January 09, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

There could also be a genetic element but am not sure. Reading the famous Murry letter it seemed like his father may have had some issues as well. Brian's attempt to "self-medicate" probably exacerbated his issues beyond repair.

I think it was on Mike Douglas in '76 that Brian said something to the effect of "I took the LSD - it shattered my mind. I came back, in I don't know HOW many pieces..."
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 09, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »

Brian's diagnosis has been made public explicitly. He had mental issues since at least the early 60s, and although it is likely that drugs and the stress he was submitted to had their share in aggravating them, they would have occured anyway.   

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »

Brian Wilson has a diagnosed mental illness. It's pretty clear there are others with mental illness in his family, evidently going back a few generations.
Often the symptoms of mood disorders don't begin to manifest until adolescence, sometimes not until later. It is often not until the twenties that the manifestation is enough to be recognized.
It has not been scientifically established that lsd or other non-prescription drugs affect the onset of mood disorders. It's not uncommon for people to begin taking recreational drugs at about the same age (adolescence - mid-twenties) that mood disorders become evident. There's no proven cause-and-effect between recreational drugs and mood disorders, only in many instances a coincidence of timing.  Brian Wilson began taking recreational drugs at the time that his mood disorder began to manifest.
As his mood disorder's symptoms increased, he seems to have been taking non-prescription drugs to self-medicate. You are confusing the cause with the effect.
The myth among rock fans that lsd causes psychosis is born out of a coincidence of timing. Can we at least stop perpetuating it here?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:24:49 PM by Emily » Logged
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »

I pretty much give Marilyn a pass. What she had to deal with and that Brian actually was actually into her sister it was too much.
They were young and not many people are equipped at that age to deal with mental disorders.
I am most interested in her book and her chance to tell her side. I imagine she will leave out much of the dirt for the sake of the daughters and grandkids but we'll see.

I've read many times about things Brian said about not wanting to live... And I remember Marilyn, in an interview for a documentary (I think it was IJWMFTT) talking about how Brian wanted to die, but then she said that it was "all very innocent". I always wondered what she meant by that... Did she not take it seriously?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:13:44 PM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »

I'm not sure Brian meant that his LSD experiments caused his psychosis - but rather that they had other negative effects, like the shattering of his ego. And Carl is on record (in 1981) as saying something to the effect that someone with Brian's fragile personality shouldn't have been messing around with that stuff. My gut feeling is that the shattering of Brian's ego (in whole or in part LSD-influenced) along with his habitual amphetamine use resulted in the unfinished state of SMiLE. Other factors may have contributed to form a perfect storm, but those two factors loom large, in my opinion.  
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 09, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »

I pretty much give Marilyn a pass. What she had to deal with and that Brian actually was actually into her sister it was too much.
They were young and not many people are equipped at that age to deal with mental disorders.
I am most interested in her book and her chance to tell her side. I imagine she will leave out much of the dirt for the sake of the daughters and grandkids but we'll see.

Have you heard she is writing a book?
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 09, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »

Yes I heard it from a huge BB fan & friend.

Have you heard she is writing a book?

Chownow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »

Hey everyone,

I didn't mean to derail the thread with my questions. I'm  just very interested in people's perceptions and the stigmas associated with mental illness.

From what I've read, Brian Wilson suffers from bipolar schizoaffective disorder (symptoms of both bipolar and schizophrenia). Classic symptoms of schizophrenia are social withdrawal, lack of speech (not initiating conversations, answering questions with just yes or no, with no elaboration), lack of emotional expression, garbled speech, disorganized thinking, etc. People tend to be aware of the psychotic symptoms of mental illness (how could you miss them?), but are often unaware of these more subtle symptoms. I was wondering if folks were interpreting these types of symptoms as "brain damage". Anti-psychotic drugs can alleviate psychotic symptoms, but do not alleviate the types of symptoms I just listed.

The cause of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia seems to be mostly genetic. Serious trauma in early childhood (such as extreme physical or sexual abuse) appears to play a role as well. The only drug associated with permanently exacerbating psychotic symptoms is marijuana.

Brian Wilson himself might have thought drugs played arole in bringing on his illness. People often try to make sense of what's happening to them by latching onto an explanation, like chem trails from jets, or a trip to the dentist (who implanted mind control transmitters in their teeth!) etc. It just the mind trying to make sense of what is happening to it.

Mr. Rockcrush seems to have interesting insights into the world of the beach boys from the 1970s. I didn't mean to interrupt that conversation!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx