gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:13:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489795 times)
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: January 07, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »

I think that it's great that Rocky and company tried to keep the heroin away from Brian but I guess it wasn't as important to keep the other brothers away from that dangerous drug as well. I still think the violence was uncalled for and the sort of " you weren't there so you don't know what we had to deal with" response is bullshit. I think they beat up Dennis out of jealousy, thinking he was a rich, punk ,rock star who had it coming. Rocky has all but admitted that. I also don't think that being the Camel man and starting kids on the road to smoking is anything to brag about. And by the way, I think that Emily was just asking a question and not being contentious .

That was my thought as well.  But it seems as though Mr. Pamplin responds in anger when someone asks an innocent question, while gushing over every facetious comment aimed at insulting him.  Quite curious indeed.

I can't seem to work my way past his apparent belief that Carl Wilson was nothing more than a spoiled brat, drug fiend, spineless rock star who deserved all he got from Rocky, and more.  Truth be told, that alone is enough to cause me to seriously doubt almost all of what Rocky has stated during his visits to this board.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 07, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

Cam Mott,   No... one Beach Boy could not fire Stephen. It was Dennis and Carl who wanted Stephen to send me home from the tour for following Brian's wife Marilyn and Stephens "ORDERS" NO DRUGS IN BRIAN'S LIFE... of any kind... at any time... any where... by anybody... EVER ... PERIOD!!! Even David Frost finally got it... when I stood up, in THE SHOWDOWN MEETING, and said would you like me to call Marilyn and ask her what she thinks about one of your employees supplying HEROIN to Dennis... who in turn gave some to Brian!!! Because she will have Stan and I and Brian on a plane back home... before you can say GLORIOUS TOUR one more time! Stephen, Stan and I are not just going to sweep this Heroin incident under the carpet!!! Is there any part of this you don't understand?
This brings up a question for me, Rocky, why was Brian on the tour? From what you say, it sounds like Marilyn was concerned and would be ready to insist he come home if you called. What convinced her it was safe for him to go in the first place?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 07, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »

And by the way, I think that Emily was just asking a question and not being contentious .

That was my thought as well.  
Thanks guys. Indeed, that question was not meant sardonically. I was just wondering.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:45:03 PM by Emily » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 07, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »

Cam Mott,   No... one Beach Boy could not fire Stephen. It was Dennis and Carl who wanted Stephen to send me home from the tour for following Brian's wife Marilyn and Stephens "ORDERS" NO DRUGS IN BRIAN'S LIFE... of any kind... at any time... any where... by anybody... EVER ... PERIOD!!! Even David Frost finally got it... when I stood up, in THE SHOWDOWN MEETING, and said would you like me to call Marilyn and ask her what she thinks about one of your employees supplying HEROIN to Dennis... who in turn gave some to Brian!!! Because she will have Stan and I and Brian on a plane back home... before you can say GLORIOUS TOUR one more time! Stephen, Stan and I are not just going to sweep this Heroin incident under the carpet!!! Is there any part of this you don't understand?
This brings up a question for me, Rocky, why was Brian on the tour? From what you say, it sounds like Marilyn was concerned and would be ready to insist he come home if you called. What convinced her it was safe for him to go in the first place?

Also, if it was so important to keep Brian away from drugs, then why on Earth take him out on tour?  Too, why weren't Dennis and Carl's drug issues just as important as Brian's.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:06 AM »

Pure speculation here, but any chance the tours had been promoted and sold as 'the 5 originals/ Brian's Back' and if any member was not there it would be a breach of contract?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 08, 2016, 04:55:36 AM »

It's pretty well documented in Heoes & Villians by Steven Gaines - Chapter 15, sub item 4, that money was the reason to take Brian on tour, and  a successful (ie incident free) tour by the complete BB's would also contribute to the continued generation of said money:

"One of Stephen Love's first responsibilities in his renewed role as manager was to arrange a three-week tour o f New Zulland and Australia to comply with the terms of the CBS contract.  The tour was to be promoted by David Frost's Australian entertainment company, Paradigm Productions, and road-managed by Richard Duryea, who was now working for Caribou.  One of Frost's most important demands was that Brian Wilson appear on tour, and he insisted on a contractual letter guaranteeing Brian was well enough to work."

Lurid details of NZ leg then from same tome, re the non-Wilson axis wanting Dennis getting the ass from the tour re the $100 heroin incident:
David Frost quotes in Melbourne - "...we're in the middle of a tour that's on the verge of being the most successful tour in Australia ever, record breaking, a stunning success...the realities of the situation are the fees that we pay (ie the BB's cash) are the result of the backing of AGC, the biggest financing company in Australia...they would certainly sue you (BB's) for 50 million dollars, because if anything goes wrong...If Dennis left the tour all hell would break loose..."

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 08, 2016, 05:58:30 AM »

Cam Mott,   No... one Beach Boy could not fire Stephen. It was Dennis and Carl who wanted Stephen to send me home from the tour for following Brian's wife Marilyn and Stephens "ORDERS" NO DRUGS IN BRIAN'S LIFE... of any kind... at any time... any where... by anybody... EVER ... PERIOD!!! Even David Frost finally got it... when I stood up, in THE SHOWDOWN MEETING, and said would you like me to call Marilyn and ask her what she thinks about one of your employees supplying HEROIN to Dennis... who in turn gave some to Brian!!! Because she will have Stan and I and Brian on a plane back home... before you can say GLORIOUS TOUR one more time! Stephen, Stan and I are not just going to sweep this Heroin incident under the carpet!!! Is there any part of this you don't understand?
Also, if it was so important to keep Brian away from drugs, then why on Earth take him out on tour?  Too, why weren't Dennis and Carl's drug issues just as important as Brian's.
Reading all this makes me wonder why, if there was a serious heroin (opiate) addiction, why the legal treatment of methadone was not used, to keep them all functioning and not having them to deal with drug dealers. Methadone was available for opiate addiction in the 70's (mid.) 

It does seem that "excessive force" may have been used to attempt to control what might have been controlled medically.  It also begs the question of "fitness to tour" and whether they could perform on the contract and whether, whomever arraged this had done their homework to figure that piece out, before setting up a tour with a bunch of unknowns, specifically, the issue of sobriety.  It would have created an international incident, landing one or more of them in jail, had it become public.  Wink     
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »

Cam Mott,   No... one Beach Boy could not fire Stephen. It was Dennis and Carl who wanted Stephen to send me home from the tour for following Brian's wife Marilyn and Stephens "ORDERS" NO DRUGS IN BRIAN'S LIFE... of any kind... at any time... any where... by anybody... EVER ... PERIOD!!! Even David Frost finally got it... when I stood up, in THE SHOWDOWN MEETING, and said would you like me to call Marilyn and ask her what she thinks about one of your employees supplying HEROIN to Dennis... who in turn gave some to Brian!!! Because she will have Stan and I and Brian on a plane back home... before you can say GLORIOUS TOUR one more time! Stephen, Stan and I are not just going to sweep this Heroin incident under the carpet!!! Is there any part of this you don't understand?
Also, if it was so important to keep Brian away from drugs, then why on Earth take him out on tour?  Too, why weren't Dennis and Carl's drug issues just as important as Brian's.
Reading all this makes me wonder why, if there was a serious heroin (opiate) addiction, why the legal treatment of methadone was not used, to keep them all functioning and not having them to deal with drug dealers. Methadone was available for opiate addiction in the 70's (mid.)  

It does seem that "excessive force" may have been used to attempt to control what might have been controlled medically.  It also begs the question of "fitness to tour" and whether they could perform on the contract and whether, whomever arraged this had done their homework to figure that piece out, before setting up a tour with a bunch of unknowns, specifically, the issue of sobriety.  It would have created an international incident, landing one or more of them in jail, had it become public.  Wink      
For Brian it was protection to keep away from drugs. For Carl and Dennis who knows if anything was in place. I would think that Steve Love, being the manager, would have had everyone's best interest at heart, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Also, not under any circumstances do you use violence against your employers. You never bite the hand that feeds you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:08:48 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »

Also, if it was so important to keep Brian away from drugs, then why on Earth take him out on tour?  Too, why weren't Dennis and Carl's drug issues just as important as Brian's.

It does seem that "excessive force" may have been used to attempt to control what might have been controlled medically.  It also begs the question of "fitness to tour" and whether they could perform on the contract and whether, whomever arraged this had done their homework to figure that piece out, before setting up a tour with a bunch of unknowns, specifically, the issue of sobriety.  It would have created an international incident, landing one or more of them in jail, had it become public.  Wink      
For Brian it was protection to keep away from drugs. For Carl and Dennis who knows if anything was in place. I would think that Steve Love, being the manager, would have had everyone's best interest at heart, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Also, not under any circumstances do you use violence against your employers. You never bite the hand that feeds you.
It does seem like there was a huge imbalance in how they thought about Brian's problems vs. Dennis and Carl. Why was Brian considered Dennis' victim when they seem to have been in the same boat?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 08, 2016, 07:19:46 AM »

Marilyn had Brian's best interest at heart.  A general manager has to consider everyone.  Unless this was a special hire just for Brian?

What I have read is that heroin was the problem on that tour, with is a physical dependency, and cocaine is less physical but no less problematic.  Worse in a way if there is psychosis.  A physical dependency (heroin) could have been treated with methadone which was a legal treatment plan in those years.   
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 08, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »

Marilyn had Brian's best interest at heart.  A general manager has to consider everyone.  Unless this was a special hire just for Brian?

What I have read is that heroin was the problem on that tour, with is a physical dependency, and cocaine is less physical but no less problematic.  Worse in a way if there is psychosis.  A physical dependency (heroin) could have been treated with methadone which was a legal treatment plan in those years.    
And to Steve and Rocky, apparently punching one's face was a treatment option too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 08, 2016, 07:36:09 AM »

And to Steve and Rocky, apparently punching one's face was a treatment option too.
Evidently
Brians Sandbox
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »

With hindsight might it had of been better to get them to wind in their expenses whilst they get cleaned up. How much they really needed to tour, we only have Rocky's word/opinion.

Anyway, never mind Rocky's autobiography, Mike's and Brian's autobiographies.
The big one to blow them all out of the water will be from a sideman who bedded more women and drove faster cars than Dennis, overwhelmed Brian with his musical talent in joining in 1968 leading to his retreat, ghost composed half of the Beach Boys catalogue from that year onwards and invested his money far more carefully than any of the BBs leading him to be far richer than all of them which was the last straw for Mike.
No, its not Ron Brown (who?) its Ed (still water runs deep) Carter!!!! Or I may have just made that all up.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2016, 07:58:34 AM »

With hindsight might it had of been better to get them to wind in their expenses whilst they get cleaned up. How much they really needed to tour, we only have Rocky's word/opinion.

Anyway, never mind Rocky's autobiography, Mike's and Brian's autobiographies.
The big one to blow them all out of the water will be from a sideman who bedded more women and drove faster cars than Dennis, overwhelmed Brian with his musical talent in joining in 1968 leading to his retreat, ghost composed half of the Beach Boys catalogue from that year onwards and invested his money far more carefully than any of the BBs leading him to be far richer than all of them which was the last straw for Mike.
No, its not Ron Brown (who?) its Ed (still water runs deep) Carter!!!! Or I may have just made that all up.
Yes, it seems some financial outflow management and a good old mental health break may have been wise.
I look forward to that book!
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 08, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »

I look forward to Rocky Pamplin's book, in the same way that I'd look forward to a book of poetry by the Kray Twins.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: January 08, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »

This is a truly fascinating thread.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 08, 2016, 08:27:09 AM »

Because it reveals so much about all of us?
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

I also worked on the Soap Opera "The Young and The Restless" in 1985 and 1986.

Rocky:

A quick search of IMBD for cast and crew of "Young and the Restless" (1973-present) turns up nothing for the name, "Pamplin."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »

Not all of us...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »

Rocky, I'm interested in hearing more about the funny stuff and rumors that were mentioned about the song credits trials, is there more information you could share?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »

Not all of us...
Of course not. All of us who are dumb enough to participate, I meant.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »

Smiley    drbeachboy,   You inquired as to why Brian was on tour...if keeping DRUGS out of Brian's life was so important. I assume you mean why risk having him out there on the road...and accessible to people and drugs. Well lets examine the situation... Brian had been in bed for the better part of 10 years... doing massive amounts of DRUGS... and not much else... except EAT... which would explain why he was 306 lb's when Stephen hired Stan and I. If I haven't mentioned the fact already... I will again. Brian would keep large sums of money in his house... make a phone call... and put $1000.00 dollars in his mail box.That was the extent of the effort Brian would put forth in a normal week... besides chowing down steaks and ice cream and what ever else his heart desired... the Beverly Glen market was only a phone call away! Marilyn was young and couldn't stop the GREAT Brian Wilson from doing anything... she couldn't even get him to take a shower... or clip his toenails and heavily stained fingernails... I forgot to mention his CHAIN SMOKING two to three packs of Marlboro's a day! Brian's voice was ravaged... by design... and sex was a forgone conclusion. So... in answer to your question... why was Brian out on tour? IN short, it was to STOP this very serious self destructive lifestyle!!! Brian was caught in the life threatening THROES of addiction... and as most of you know... the DRUG ADDICT is the last one to know it... to do anything about it... or to even CARE that the problem exists! And time just has a way of slipping away! And then they DIE!!! Brian was trying to kill himself... weather he knew it or not...(some think he did)... according to the Doctors... I know that seems hard for people to comprehend...because he was so talented and so admired and so rich and famous... and had so much to give to the world... SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR... but that was the bottom line. In Brian's mind LIFE was a twisted JOKE...he was LOST in a sea of deception(so to speak) at least that's what the SHRINKS conveyed to Marilyn and Stephen. So... they decided because Brian was a Musical Genius ... he should be doing some thing Musical. And because he was adamant about not wanting to write songs... or make hit records again... It was the Recording Studio... pacing around... until he got sick of that... and sits down at the Piano, and does what comes naturally to him, and then going out on the road (making money) but most of all to interrupt the downward spiral of his existing DRUG infested life! That's the best I can explain it. I'm sure many of you can do better! And I'm sure some of you will dazzle us with your espertise! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:04:18 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »

drbeachboy,   You inquired as to why Brian was on tour... if keeping him off drugs was so important? Well... lets examine the situation... Brian had been in bed for the better part of 10 years... doing massive amounts of DRUGS... and not much else... except EAT... which would explain why he was 306 lb's when Stephen hired Stan and I. If I haven't mentioned the fact already... I will again. Brian would keep large sums of money in his house... make a phone call... and put $1000.00 dollars in his mail box.That was the extent of the effort Brian would put forth in a normal week... besides chowing down steaks and ice cream and what ever else his heart desired... the Beverly Glen market was only a phone call away also! Marilyn was young and couldn't stop the GREAT Brian Wilson from doing anything... she couldn't even get him to take a shower... or clip his toenails and heavily stained fingernails... I forgot to mention CHAIN SMOKING two to three packs of Marlboro's a day! Brian's voice was ravaged... by design... and sex was a forgone conclusion. So... in answer to your question... why was Brian out on tour? IN short, it was to STOP this very serious self destructive lifestyle!!! Brian was caught in the life threatening THROES of addiction... and as most of you know... the DRUG ADDICT is the last one to know it... to do anything about it... or to even acknowledge the problem exists! And time just has a way of slipping away! And then they DIE!!! Brian was trying to kill himself... weather he knew it or not...(some think he did) he had no desire to live! I know that seems hard for people to comprehend...because he was so talented and so admired and so rich and famous... and so much to give the world... so much to live for... but that was the bottom line. In Brian's mind LIFE was a twisted JOKE...he was LOST in a sea of deception(so to speak) at least that's what the SHRINKS conveyed to Marilyn and Stephen. So... they decided because Brian was a Musical Genius ... he should be doing some thing Musical. And because he was adamant about not wanting to write songs... or make hit records again... It was the Recording Studio... pacing around... until he got sick of that... and sits down at the Piano, and does what comes naturally to him, and then going out on the road (making money) but most of all... to interrupt the downward spiral of his existing DRUG infested life!!! That's the best I can explain it... I'm sure many of you can do better!
Thank you for the answer. It all makes sense except for the sending him on the road with Dennis & Carl, especially if you guys were doing nothing for their addictions. Sending an addict out on the road with two other addicts seems doomed for trouble. I would think Steve would have tried to do more than hold back money from Dennis, but not Carl. I would have thought that Steve would have tried getting Dennis & Carl in shape for the tour, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »

Edit: never mind
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:35:38 PM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »

drbeachboy,   You inquired as to why Brian was on tour...if keeping DRUGS out of Brian's life was so important. I assume you mean why risk having him out there on the road...and accessible to people and drugs. Well lets examine the situation... Brian had been in bed for the better part of 10 years... doing massive amounts of DRUGS... and not much else... except EAT... which would explain why he was 306 lb's when Stephen hired Stan and I. If I haven't mentioned the fact already... I will again. Brian would keep large sums of money in his house... make a phone call... and put $1000.00 dollars in his mail box.That was the extent of the effort Brian would put forth in a normal week... besides chowing down steaks and ice cream and what ever else his heart desired... the Beverly Glen market was only a phone call away! Marilyn was young and couldn't stop the GREAT Brian Wilson from doing anything... she couldn't even get him to take a shower... or clip his toenails and heavily stained fingernails... I forgot to mention his CHAIN SMOKING two to three packs of Marlboro's a day! Brian's voice was ravaged... by design... and sex was a forgone conclusion. So... in answer to your question... why was Brian out on tour? IN short, it was to STOP this very serious self destructive lifestyle!!! Brian was caught in the life threatening THROES of addiction... and as most of you know... the DRUG ADDICT is the last one to know it... to do anything about it... or to even CARE that the problem exists! And time just has a way of slipping away! And then they DIE!!! Brian was trying to kill himself... weather he knew it or not...(some think he did) he had no desire to live! According to the Doctors... I know that seems hard for people to comprehend...because he was so talented and so admired and so rich and famous... and had so much to give to the world... SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR... but that was the bottom line. In Brian's mind LIFE was a twisted JOKE...he was LOST in a sea of deception(so to speak) at least that's what the SHRINKS conveyed to Marilyn and Stephen. So... they decided because Brian was a Musical Genius ... he should be doing some thing Musical. And because he was adamant about not wanting to write songs... or make hit records again... It was the Recording Studio... pacing around... until he got sick of that... and sits down at the Piano, and does what comes naturally to him, and then going out on the road (making money) but most of all... to interrupt the downward spiral of his existing DRUG infested life!!! That's the best I can explain it... I'm sure many of you can do better!

Only in the Bizaro World of the Beach Boys would it make sense to take someone out of the confines of their home and put them on a major rock tour to try and keep them away from drugs.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx