-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Mystery Science Theater 3000 returns! But first they need dough.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mystery Science Theater 3000 returns! But first they need dough.  (Read 6469 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

You know they'll get it. I know they'll get it. SO GIVE IT.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »

I saw this today. Maybe it's my homerism, maybe it's just that I appreciate brilliance. I'm giving. I really hope Joel gets more of the original team back on the show. I don't know details, but read today that they aren't currently all on board. (If TV's Frank returns, I'm going to be the happiest man alive.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »

woohoo! Grin

Never seen such optimism from the Captain!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »

Talked to Trace, who is not involved in "any way, shape, or form." A bit HMM now. Rebooting in LA with an entirely different creative team without MN roots seems like a huge mistake. I hope they ship in some of the old team, their sense of humor is crucial to the formula. But I still gave, damnit I need more MST3K even if I'm complaining about how it wasn't as good as it used to be!

Also I didn't catch that Shout Factory basically bought MST3K from Jim Mallon. Why are multi-millionaires asking for money on Kickstarter? I guess it's a ploy to attract network/streaming interest more than anything else. Free money can't hurt either. Conflicted MSTie feelings here! Sure hope that host isn't from "The Nerdist," tho.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:18:29 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »

That's all pretty disappointing. The least surprising/disappointing is the "multimillionaires asking for money" part, which seems to be increasingly common across the board: I think companies are increasingly realizing they can shift some of their risk / costs, and still reap the rewards. Bummer.

But the idea of a whole new team is sad. I'll still contribute because I do think Joel is spectacular. But for example when I saw Rifftrax live with Mike, Bill, Trace, Frank, and a couple others, those voices and that chemistry was all so good. It's a shame if it's not at least somewhat preserved. I understood there to be some bad feelings between certain guys at some points, though I don't recall even whatever little I may have heard. Still, one would hope it could be worked out. But if not, not.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »

Oh my. Many years ago I somehow endured "Manos- The Hands of Fate" on MST3k. My life was never the same after that - that Torgo guy!

Elizabeth

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

I pledged $50.  They've already reached 1 million.  I'm so excited.  Even if the host and bots will be different, as long as Joel is behind it, I can't imagine it won't be as hilarious as the old shows.

KDS
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:13:06 AM »

I think this could be a good fit for the SyFy Channel.  Since SyFy has paired up with the company, The Asylum, who produces the over the top cheesy movies that SyFy premieres (including the Sharknado franchise).  I could see a paring of MST3K and the newer Asylum movies. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »

Considering they were already cancelled by them once in favor of "Sliders," I doubt it. That's back when they were still the Sci-Fi Channel, tho. Embarrassing fact #3453454: I used to help run the MST3K Home Game SFC did.
KDS
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 05:54:30 AM »

Considering they were already cancelled by them once in favor of "Sliders," I doubt it. That's back when they were still the Sci-Fi Channel, tho. Embarrassing fact #3453454: I used to help run the MST3K Home Game SFC did.

True, but as you said the Sci Fi Channel that cancelled MST3K is vastly different from the current SyFy channel.  (Same goes for Comedy Central for that matter).

G4 would've been a good fit had that channel been able to survive the loss of Olivia Munn. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »

Six days, $2m goal reached.

Also Jonah Ray (Nerdist co-host) has been announced as on the team.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »

Bumping the thread because yesterday the new MST3k went up on Netflix. I was a little hesitant with the new cast and writers, not to mention lukewarm reviews from one of my idiots friends who watched at least one episode before me, but I watched the first episode and really liked it. Not the same, and new voices take some getting used to, but just like the first time around when both bots and human flipped (and for that matter, evil scientists, too), the differences become less noticeable pretty quickly. The first episode was kind of a Danish Godzilla movie kind of thing, really an atrocious movie, and I thought they did a good job with it.

Also, local flavor (remember, MST3k started here in the Minneapolis area): the band has a masked singer early on, a pudgy fella...he's Har Mar Superstar. (Google him.) Probably best known for stripping to tightie whities during performances. (He doesn't do that.) If I'm not crazy, the band, which also does intro/outro incidental music for "commercial breaks" (there are no commercials, of course), did the theme song for an old movie MST3k did, "Wild Rebels." I remembered the song because in that old episode, Servo gave the instrumental melody words. (As I recall: "we're wild rebels; crunchy fruity rebels.") I'm going to be paying attention to that music going forward to see if they're recycling other old bits. "The Girl in Lover's Lane" was a great one (and another great fake lyric by the guys).

Anyone else watched anything yet?

KDS
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 12:44:38 PM »

Bumping the thread because yesterday the new MST3k went up on Netflix. I was a little hesitant with the new cast and writers, not to mention lukewarm reviews from one of my idiots friends who watched at least one episode before me, but I watched the first episode and really liked it. Not the same, and new voices take some getting used to, but just like the first time around when both bots and human flipped (and for that matter, evil scientists, too), the differences become less noticeable pretty quickly. The first episode was kind of a Danish Godzilla movie kind of thing, really an atrocious movie, and I thought they did a good job with it.

Also, local flavor (remember, MST3k started here in the Minneapolis area): the band has a masked singer early on, a pudgy fella...he's Har Mar Superstar. (Google him.) Probably best known for stripping to tightie whities during performances. (He doesn't do that.) If I'm not crazy, the band, which also does intro/outro incidental music for "commercial breaks" (there are no commercials, of course), did the theme song for an old movie MST3k did, "Wild Rebels." I remembered the song because in that old episode, Servo gave the instrumental melody words. (As I recall: "we're wild rebels; crunchy fruity rebels.") I'm going to be paying attention to that music going forward to see if they're recycling other old bits. "The Girl in Lover's Lane" was a great one (and another great fake lyric by the guys).

Anyone else watched anything yet?

Ill probably check it out.  Having some connectivity issues with my TV and the internet lately.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:51:27 AM »

I haven't quite finished the new series yet but so far it hasn't really grown on me yet.  The new actors take some getting used to and there are no real standout episodes despite some awesomely bad film choices they're riffing on.  Then again, I didn't initially give the Sci-Fi Channel seasons a chance until years later when I realized some of the absolute best episodes came from that era. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: