gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:12:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Allen Toussaint RIP  (Read 1500 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »

Woke up this morning to the news that Allen Toussaint, composer, pianist, and producer who's a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, passed away shortly after a concert in Madrid. He was 77.

We in New Orleans are in shock and I'm having a losing battle fighting back tears. He looked so well just a couple of weeks ago when he played during a local morning news show.

He helped produce the distinctive New Orleans sound, wonderful, catchy tunes. Wrote a few songs you might know, such as Mother in Law, Working in a Coal Mine, Java (a hit for Al Hirt), Fortune Teller ( hit multiple times), Southern Nights (a hit for Glen Campbell) and many others.

Did work with Paul McCartney - remember well when Macca came down here in the mid70s to record the Venus and Mars album at Mr Toussaint's SeaSaint Studio.

And oh, he was a WONDERFUL human being to boot!

I've been avoiding our local JazzFest in recent years as it has become way too crowded for comfort, but will definitely be there next spring for what should be a tribute for the ages.

RIP dear sir!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 07:56:54 AM »

Sorry I' m replying to my own post.

How could I forget "All These Things"? Art Neville sang a glorious version of this in 1962 and it was a hit down here. One of the most beautiful love ballads ever.

It was written by 'Naomi Neville'. I saw 'her' name in a number of credits to local songs. Later I found out that this was a name Allen Toussaint used instead of his own name. (Naomi Neville was his mother)

If you're not familiar with the song it 's on YouTube. Absolute bliss.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »

Loved his work with The Band. And so much more! R.I.P., sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNVFu7c3yMU

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »

Sad news! A great and important songwriter

Love his work with and for Lee Dorsey a.o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4AWOmz53R4

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »

Sad  BAD news.  Great talent.  LOADS of songs.  A real loss.  Sad

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »

He also wrote "River Boat" and "Occapella" that Van Dyke Parks covered on Discover America.  RIP...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx