gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:13:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Love (fanmix album)  (Read 20818 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »

Dear Rab,

WTF is this?  I thought we agreed, NO FUKKING WITH THE FORMULA?

Sincerely,

Mike Love

Damn! I even named the album after you hoping you'd give me some leeway on this Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »

Better not to waste any time here. Consulting a top notch attorney would be in your best interest, Rab.  Grin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »

Absolutely brilliant!!!

I know that must have been a monumental amount of work to pull that off, but what you have created here is so many things. Beautiful, moving, joyful, sad, and very creative. I would without a doubt purchase this in a heart beat if it were commercially available.

It's also interesting how it brings to light many of the common musical threads in the Beach Boys music that we all are somewhat mysteriously drawn to. It made me smile at several points due to the cleverness and sheer beauty. Thank you!

Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 05:43:58 AM »

This is beautiful!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »

Thanks guys!

I truly hope an official mix along the lines of The Beatles Love is made by people with access to the original tapes themselves. I would pay good money to hear it.

I'll spend some time making a few extra tracks, tweaking a few things, then I'll make it available in FLAC and MP3. Hopefully it won't take too long to get out. Thanks again!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »

Thanks guys!

I truly hope an official mix along the lines of The Beatles Love is made by people with access to the original tapes themselves. I would pay good money to hear it.

I'll spend some time making a few extra tracks, tweaking a few things, then I'll make it available in FLAC and MP3. Hopefully it won't take too long to get out. Thanks again!

Fantastic, thank you.
Please feel free to do some sort of extended mix..... We can wait...,.. Just!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 04:35:22 AM »

Super cool for the most part.

I'm not sure that all of the layering fully works from a harmonic point of view, such as I Just Wasn't Made For These Times w/ Wonderful...?

Maybe it's just me.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »

Super cool for the most part.

I'm not sure that all of the layering fully works from a harmonic point of view, such as I Just Wasn't Made For These Times w/ Wonderful...?

Maybe it's just me.

I agree, and even mention it in my notes in the initial post. It is by no means a perfect mix; without access to individual tape tracks and better audio software, I was highly limited in what I could accomplish with this album. As for IJWMFTT/Wonderful: given the jaw-dropping complexity of the chords in Wonderful, I was shocked that the melody of IJWMFTT mostly did fit...even thought many other moments didn't work in that song. I guess it's inclusion in the album wasn't made because of grandeur, but more out of interest.

Anywho, thanks for commenting, and I'm glad you found most of it to be a cool listen!

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 06:18:19 AM »

Hey rab,

I did actually read your initial post the other day, but only just got around to listening to the video all the way through today, so apologies for restating what you had already said, I should have refreshed my memory before listening!  Your very polite reply is appreciated.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 06:48:38 AM »

Hey Rab! I decided to tweak my Rhonda mix and use some crazy stuff to bring it to life, it's way better than the first mix I did.

Feel free to use it or add to it!

https://youtu.be/_79Zww9KBl0

I can post it as a download but, I don't want to break the rules

Some background information: After I had heard Rab's mixes, I wanted to pull something off like Brian's Transistor Radio and the Drive My Car/The Word/What Your'e Doing Mix from The Beatle's Love! I knew in my head that Help Me, Rhonda, Little Honda, Then Kissed Her and some of Heroes and Villains all share similar chords. So I assembled it like a musical puzzle trying to fit this vocal in this section, using this Harpsichord here etc.
I used the Then I Kissed Her backing track with little bit of the 12 String Guitar on the intro. Underneath that is The Harpsichord Children Were Raised Part from Heroes and Villians and a chunk of Carl's 12-String Guitar Intro from Help Me Rhonda. The 12- String Guitar part was taken from a Help Me Rhonda session practice. Also you can hear Dennis's Go! shout from Little Honda. Before the Vocals of Help Me Rhonda kick in, we are treated with the Boys and Girls vocals from Heroes and Villains and The Bari Sax part from Help Me Rhonda. Underneath the Help Me Rhonda Vocals, are the Sax part from before, but also the Guitar Lick that goes with it, don't know what it's called. Intertwined within all this is Al Jardine's vocal from the Then I Kissed Her Solo section. Now onto Little Honda. During this we have little spurts of the previous parts, that work well with both, Honda and Rhonda:  Bari Saxophone, Al's Vocal etc. After the vocals leave us there is a little surprise for fans. I'm telling what it is though! After you've had your minds blown, the Then Kissed Her vocals come up and end with my own little edit!
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:25 PM »

Excellent work, Rab. Brian would flip over this

Make waves, not love
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »

Brilliant idea and execution. Beautiful!
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 12:01:38 AM »

I always loved The Beatles Love album, and was very interested in this mix. I downloaded yesterday in work and listened to it on headphones on the way home. To say I'm impressed is an understatement! This is a wonderful production, and we'll up to the quality of a professional release. Loved it in every way, thank you!

:-) Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
CinnaBeatle
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »

This is fantastic! To my ears it sounds almost as professionally done as the Beatle's Love. The ending of Watadori was remarkably done, Brian's voice over that piano was incredibly beautiful. Thank you for making this!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »

This is fantastic! To my ears it sounds almost as professionally done as the Beatle's Love. The ending of Watadori was remarkably done, Brian's voice over that piano was incredibly beautiful. Thank you for making this!

Thanks so much!

Watadori was the one I kinda most loved and was most iffy about putting on the album - just because it isn't really The Beach Boys for the most part (besides Brian's singing and the YSBIM piano). But I'm glad others like it!

Trivial fact: the name of the song is the original name of Dennis Wilson's sailboat (before he acquired it). I kinda wanted that song to be a tribute of sorts to him.

Welcome to the board, CinnaBeatle!

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 04:51:21 PM »

Rab, that was truly wonderful.  Thanks so much for all the efforts.  It was a joyful listen.

I see how little I'm on this site that I missed it until now...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:52:33 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 06:59:15 AM »

Thank you so much Debbie!
______

I found out that my mix will be played on Mike Grant's Mixlr.com show today between 4-4:30 EST! I'll be there to chat and answer questions/elaborate on my mixing process. Hope some of you tune in!

http://mixlr.com/mikes-mix/

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 10:30:28 AM »

Really enjoyed this. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »

Very cool

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »

Tastefully done!   Cool Guy  I love hearing different kinds of fan remixes that aren't just another Smile remix (see Will C, J Dilla's Pet Sounds, etc.).
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »

This is just fucking great! Amazing that those that appreciate this music can now get creatively involved with it. Maybe technology does has some redeeming features. Bravo!
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »

Could you please upload it somewhere else like youtube? I cannot access vimeo in my country  Cry Cry Cry
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

Yeeeup. I do think I like this. Quite a bit in fact.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 07:08:07 PM »

Unfortunately Rab has left the board and he left behind an awesome Love mix. Well, I thought it was too short so I added some more to it and even removed some stuff that I didn't like. Here is my take on his Beach Boys Love Mix. I'm also working on an Alternate Today! album mix. I'll try to upload this to Youtube and Vimeo.

Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/163175382

Tracklist:
1. I’m Waiting For Our Prayer (Intro)
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Fun, Fun, Fun
4. You Still Believe In Me (Vitamin String Quartet and Brian vocal)
4. I Just Wasn’t Wonderful
5. Brian’s Magic Transistor Radio
6. Til I Die
7. I Get Around
8. Then I Kissed Rhonda on a Honda
9. Wouldn’t It Be Worms
10. Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine/Love To Say Da Da
11. Starchild
12. Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again
13. Good Vibrations (Outro)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:03:45 PM by branaa09 » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered