gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:46:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Love (fanmix album)  (Read 20817 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:20:29 PM »

TL;DR I made a Beach Boys album reminiscent of the Beatles Love album.

Listen here: https://vimeo.com/145226253

Of course without having access to mastertapes and individual vocal/instrumental tracks it is utterly impossible to make a Beach Boys album even 10% of what The Beatles Love album is. But I tried.

I was so flippin ecstatic with the Atticus Ross tracks from ‘Love and Mercy’, and I wanted more and more. It started with me tinkering at random with some tracks. Which then grew into this grandiose idea that I could make a whole fan-mixed album in the style of both The Beatles Love album and the soundtrack to ‘Love and Mercy’. Well here is my work. It took hours upon countless hours of trial and error. Many failures were had, but overall it was so much fun to delve through my collection and try and find pieces that worked well together.

Throughout this album are moments of my own creation. Mostly Atticus Ross inspired synths that I used sparingly and (hopefully) tastefully. Other things I added were sound effects (wind, crackling fire, water, voices (all from either session chatter or Brian’s home tape-recorder boot) etc) - I wanted to create a place and atmosphere with this album. Also, some very unorthodox mixes are in this album, some things many would consider sacrilege (such as mixing a very short mashup between The Beatles ‘Let It Be’ and Brian’s ‘Imagination’ song - yikes..what the hell was I thinking?).

I partially made this out of curiosity, partially in the hopes that someone higher up in the Beach Boys world would recognize the potential for an official album like this. The Beach Boys are a treasure trove of sonic wonder…within each song are limitless harmonies, chords, sounds, that have the potential to intermingle with other songs in a way that could help people appreciate this music even more.

If you have a pair of headphones (earbuds, anything), I’d recommend using them to listen to this mix (There are a lot of stereo effects and panning going on). Not a requirement though.

I hope you all enjoy it; I’m sure anyone who listens will find at least one interesting mix in this bunch.

1. I’m Waiting For Our Prayer
2. Heroes and Villains
3. You Still Believe In Me (Vitamin String Quartet and Brian vocal)
4. I Just Wasn’t Wonderful
5. Brian’s Magic Transistor Radio
6. Til I Die
7. Please Say Goodbye (The Beatles vs The Beach Boys)
8. Don’t Worry, Hushabye
9. Wouldn’t It Be Worms
10. Starchild
11. Watadori
12. Good Vibrations (Outro)

Thought I’d write up some notes for this, in case someone was interested in how I made it:

1. ‘I’m Waiting For Our Prayer’. I wanted to start the album off with a person walking down a city street to a church, and inside the church The Beach Boys are singing ‘Our Prayer’. The city is cold and rainy, sirens are going off, cars with loud music are screaming by; but the music of the Beach Boys provides shelter from the storm.

2. ‘Heroes and Villains’. I’ve lately imagined that ’66 Brian had some amazing world of Heroes and Villains inside his head. A place full of indians, cowboys, steam engine trains, lonesome western town, empty dry plains. He tried so hard to put it on tape, but the idea was so vast it was an impossible task. I’ve tried to re-create (or create) that world. It starts off with sound effects of steam engine whistles, a horse galloping across a plain, and thunder to usher in the verse. I tried to make this imaginary world while making something that sounds like an actual song. There are spoken bits from ‘psychedelic sounds’, ‘There’s No Other Like My Baby’, the count-in from Mona Kani, even some spanish spoken by a school-going Brian and a friend from his home tape recorder.

3. ‘You Still Believe In Me’. I used the Vitamin String Quartet YSBIM cover and overlayed Brian’s vocal from the Pet Sounds boxset on it. It wasn’t as easy as placing the vocal track directly over the Vitamin Quartet cover. A lot of time-flexing, a lot of editing, a lot of stretching took place with Brian’s vocal. There are digital artifacts, moments of imperfections, but they aren’t too bad on this track. I implore anyone who hasn’t heard the Vitamin String Quartet Pet Sounds album to check it out. One of the most beautiful cover albums.

4. ‘I Just Wasn’t Wonderful’. Speaking of digital artifacts….holy crap. I had to up the pitch of the piano track of Wonderful (from The Smile Sessions) and time-flex the hell out of Brian’s vocal (a vocal only of ‘I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times). This is full of little pops and specks of imperfections. Some of the melodies don’t match with the chords. But I was so impressed that most of this mashup worked that I left it in the final album.

5. ‘Brian’s Magic Transistor Radio’. This is a medley that uses quite a few tracks.
     1. ‘Do You Wanna Dance In Cottonfields’
          Combines ‘I Was Made To Love Her’ instrumental, ‘Do You Wanna Dance’ instrumental, ‘Cottonfields’ vocal, ‘Do You Like Worms’ chant, ‘409’ car rev.
     2. ‘This Darlin Car Of Mine’
          Combines ‘Darlin’’ instrumental with ‘This Car Of Mine’ vocal.
     3. ‘Our Sweet Sloop’
          Combines ‘Our Sweet Love’ instrumental with ’Sloop John B’ vocals and ‘I Know There’s An Answer’ vocals.
     4. ‘Bobby Left Me Waiting’
          Combines the instrumental for ‘Bobby Left Me’ (Brian track from the Big Beat ’63 album) with the vocals of ‘I’m Waiting For The Day’. Not a perfect mashup, but I do love that chorus.
     5. ‘Unknown Piano Intermezzo’
          Combines the ‘Unknown Piano Intermezzo’ from the SOT boot with snippets of the ‘Don’t Talk’ vocal demo, drums from ‘I’m Waiting For The Day’, and my own synth playing.

6. ’Til I Die’. A redux of my previous alternate edit. I added in ocean sounds, psychedelic sounds 'Underwater' piece, vocal only sections (including Mike’s isolated vocal from ‘Love and Mercy’). Also the section after the verses uses two separate moments from the Desper mixed track that are placed together, making for a different listening experience than the norm.

7. ‘Please Say Goodbye’. As this was greatly inspired by the Beatles Love album, I felt I had to mash together a track with them. I used the lead vocal for ‘Hello Goodbye’ and the backing track to ‘Please Let Me Wonder’. Also, at the tail end of the track I quickly combined the piano from ‘Let It Be’ with Brian’s lead first verse of ‘Imagination’. Yeah, it’s a sacrilege and I’m sorry…I had heard the two combined in my head for quite some time and wanted to include it, if only because it’s interesting.

8. ‘Don’t Worry Hushabye’. The intro to this track is a hugely Atticus Ross inspired intro, synths, lots of studio chatter overdubbed, the Murry Help Me Rhonda argument, even the basketball track from psychedelic sounds is buried in there. The actual track is by no means perfect (the lead on Hushabye sounds so tinny because I had to mix the EQ to play only the high registers because the bass parts didn’t fit at all over Don’t Worry Baby.

9. ‘Wouldn’t It Be Worms’. I made my own string section for the a cappella harmonies during the intro. Then I combined the vocals from the first verse of ‘WIBN’ with the instrumental to ‘Do You Like Worms’. I also combined some vocals from ‘Surf’s Up’ over the DYLW outro. This is definitely my least favorite track from this album and I'm sad it didn’t turn out better.

10. ‘Starchild’. Everything you hear in this is Beach Boys. Even the piano playing the CIFOTM BWPS verse melody. I used a bit from the vocal demo from ‘Don’t Talk’ in the intro, the BWPS melody was made from using a sample of the ‘Hushabye’ piano intro (splicing and changing the pitch to match the BWPS melody). I named it ‘Starchild’ because it has a very spacey atmosphere, reminds me of floating through the middle of the universe.

11. ‘Watadori’. The beat somewhat inspired by 'In The Key of Dee'. The one song here driven mostly by my own instruments. I played piano and synths all throughout the track. I added sound effects (radio, ocean sounds, boat, seagulls, etc). I made a whole new chord arrangement for the intro to ‘You Still Believe In Me’ - gave it a really sad feel. I had to time flex that YSBIM intro a lot to get it to fit the beat. I yet again used Brian’s ‘Don’t Talk’ vocal snippet and sampled it, changed the pitch for added harmonies to this song. It ends with the ‘Surfin’ “If you laugh once I’ll pop you!” exchange between Dennis, David, and Brian.

12. ‘Good Vibrations (Outro)’. I made my own string section using MIDI for one part. Overdubbed over the Good Vibrations bridge is the chorus of ‘I’m Waiting For The Day’, ‘The Old Master Painter’, Brian’s ‘Don’t Talk’ vocal/harmony demo, ‘Hushabye’. The ‘Hum-be-dum’ section has drums from ‘I’m Waiting For The Day’ overdubbed on top. Probably most happy with ‘Old Master Painting’ fitting in (though some pitch shifting was used to make it work).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »

Brilliant! An obvious labour of love, and great fun.

Listen on headphones as there is definitely a lot going on. Am on my 3rd play now and hearing new things each time.

Excellent and a worthy selection from the BBs. This deserves a wide audience.  Grab this folks!!!

Any chance of a lossless version later?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:45:46 AM by TopCat » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »

I love it, no pun intended!  I might try some thing like this as well, I see you didn't show any love for Help Me Rhonda, I have that covered! I love Atticus Ross score and The Love album!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:16:58 AM by branaa09 » Logged
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:50:37 PM »

I can't express my delight with your work Rab2591!
Jesus oohh sweet jesus!!

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:16:43 AM »

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing. Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:04:45 AM »

Thanks for listening and commenting, guys!

@Topcat, I will definitely try to upload a lossless version of this album very soon. I was listening to part of this mix this morning from the Vimeo site, and thankfully the original files don't sound nearly as bad.

@branaa09. Thanks! I did try to use 'Help Me Rhonda' a little (fit the HMR intro guitar into the beginning of 'Let Him Run Wild') but I gave up on the track....limited by time and imagination haha. Definitely looking forward to what you come up with!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 07:28:49 AM »

This.  Shocked They said it couldn't be done but you did it, Rab. Akin to experiencing Brian's best in 27 minutes of pure glory. But even eclipsing that are your layers of emotion and heartfelt gratitude that are locked in on his music. We throw the word genius around quite extensively these days but it certainly applies to the job you've done with this creation. I will be thanking you every time I listen to this which will quite often. Love   

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »

Wonderful job, thanks for sharing.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »

Yep, I enjoyed that! Thank you.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »

This is beyond brilliant - there is such an understanding of Brian's melodies and harmony in this mix. There were so many moments on my first listen where I would just have to smile and think..."hey, that worked perfectly!". My two favorite moments are the intertwining of Hello Goodbye and Please Let Me Wonder and the seamless transitions between Hushabye and Don't Worry Baby. This is something fresh to the community - I applaud you for it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »

Rab is the father of the Jam! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »

Here's my try at Help Me Rhonda! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBM76bsrzAA&feature=youtu.be
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »

Thank you all so much!

@Egohanger, that Hello Goodbye/PLMW track was quite a revelation. I did have to edit Paul's vocal a lot for it to fit, but the pitch/melody was perfect for the chords. Thanks for the kind words!

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 11:27:53 AM »

Very well done, and it's obvious you've put much time and thought into these mixes.  I want more and more and more of this type of project!

I will say that one thing that (slightly) detracted me from the experience was recognizing the stock radio tuning clip (the part where you briefly hear a male voice say "house-wuh") in the ‘Brian’s Magic Transistor Radio’ track.  But that's only because I dabble in audio production.

Can't wait for the lossless download!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »

That was magical!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »

Fun stuff for sure!
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »

Just did a quick preliminary listen.  This is wonderful stuff!  You did it with love and mercy ;-)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 05:43:45 PM »

Would be interesting to get Brian's thoughts on this. Wonderin' if he's heard it yet and if it brings a Smile to his face.  Smiley

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »

Would be interesting to get Brian's thoughts on this. Wonderin' if he's heard it yet and if it brings a Smile to his face.  Smiley

I kinda hope he never hears it, just because of the Murry segments...I can't imagine that would be too pleasant for him to hear haha. But it would be wonderful to hear his take on the Transistor Radio track, and the Beatles mashup.
_____

Thanks again everyone for commenting. All the appreciation really makes it worth all the time I put into it. I truly hope that an official album of this sort will be created and released by people far, far more talented than I at some point in the future.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »

Whoah! There was a lot of really awesome stuff there. You have a real talent for these mash-ups. Thanks so much for the blood sweat and tears that went into making this.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 12:17:18 AM »

MORE...  more.....
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 02:55:57 AM »

That´s absolutely incredible !  I know that this must have been a lot of work. I tried similar things as well years ago, but my equipment isn´t THAT good. It sounds very very good and is full of surprises.  It´only too short !

T H A N K    Y O U    S O    MU C H  !  !  !  !
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 10:03:39 AM »

Really good listening experience and numerous revelations in the music! I hope to hear more of your work in the future Wink
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »

Dear Rab,

WTF is this?  I thought we agreed, NO FUKKING WITH THE FORMULA?

Sincerely,

Mike Love

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx