gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:27:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry Rollins on Glen Campbell Documentary  (Read 2445 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »

If this doesn't belong here, please move it, however both have links to The Beach Boys, Glen's being obvious, Henry still being with Black Flag when their record label acquired Brother Studio from Tom Scott.    http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-alzheimers-cant-diminish-the-greatness-of-glen-campbell-6238497

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »

This documentary has outed a lot of folks as Glen Campbell fans that I never would have connected with the Rhinestone Cowboy. It's nice to see some of my prejudices about other people's prejudices being washed away.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 06:09:57 AM »

If this doesn't belong here, please move it, however both have links to The Beach Boys, Glen's being obvious, Henry still being with Black Flag when their record label acquired Brother Studio from Tom Scott.    http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-alzheimers-cant-diminish-the-greatness-of-glen-campbell-6238497

Not to mention Henry wrote an opinion piece celebrating SMiLE upon its release a few years back.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »

Thanks, Ed, for that...

Alzheimers' is what "not to get..."

And, it does belong here...Glen has his place in BB history... Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:11:49 AM »

This documentary has outed a lot of folks as Glen Campbell fans that I never would have connected with the Rhinestone Cowboy. It's nice to see some of my prejudices about other people's prejudices being washed away.

The sixties collaborations with Jimmy Webb are timeless.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:21:54 AM »

I know this has been referenced on the board before, but it is really rather good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skuEiYfnSFg
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »

I can't say I was ever a fan of Glen Campbell's, but I do have the utmost respect for him; talented, brilliant musician. And he is actually one of my earliest musical memories, as my dad used to play I Remember Hank Williams, "Rhinestone Cowboy," and "See You On Sunday" regularly on the Zenith hi-fi that currently acts as a pedestal for one of my mother's statues.

Having said that....before bed my wife was watching I'll Be Me on Saturday night. That night I had a dream that for some reason I had to go over to Glen's house and play guitar for him to keep him entertained. I remember when I left he started yelling at me and running after me because he thought I had stolen his guitar. Weird dream....running away with your 12-string from Glen Campbell....probably not as weird as, say, being in your hotel room and finding him knocking at your door because he thought your room was an elevator, but weird nonetheless.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »

<<Not to mention Henry wrote an opinion piece celebrating SMiLE upon its release a few years back.>>

Henry is a big Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan.  At a Bel-Air event celebrating Brian's then upcoming Kennedy Center honors, thanks to the generosity of Alan Boyd, I got to direct a video shoot interviewing various attendees, and of the subsequent presentation/dinner/mini concert.   Taking a breather, I got into a conversation with Henry about the music.  In particular, he was a huge fan of the material Brian did between 1976-78... all of the 15 Big Ones, Love You, Adult Child, MIU, etc. stuff.  Very nice guy.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »

Heh! I should've guessed. My one Pleasant Enough Henry Rollins Encounter was a fun chat about DEVO and their early demos, the man loves gooey analog synths! Enthusiastic guy. I need to catch up and watch this documentary but I've been kind of avoiding it so as not to dissolve into a puddle of tears since it hits close to home, Alzheimer's was a brutal ordeal to witness...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 02:04:34 PM »

I have very little by him but I just think he has a great voice and is a great guitarist and I'm not ashamed to say I was moved to tears when I saw him on his last tour.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »

I watched the Campbell documentary on Netflix a couple of weeks ago.  Yes, it was very sad, but also strangely uplifting.  I was in awe of his still-amazing ability to play the guitar during the first weeks/months of his farewell tour.  The man barely knew his name (and almost none of his family members' names), but he was still a magician on the electric guitar.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »

Henry Rollins is one of my biggest heroes. If you ever get the chance to see one of his spoken word performances, go see him. He's always amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx