gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:49:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New David Marks track - "Kustom Kar Show"  (Read 17111 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »

Is the track available for purchase? 

Pretty sure it's not at this juncture, but my understanding is that they are going to release it, with the rest of the tracks (they did 17 in total), in the not-too-distant future.  We'll all just have to wait and see!
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »

I think if Dennis and Carl had lived they would have been on this easily!
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »

Good version of a lousy song. Never cared for the song itself. Very blah. 
Zeppo

Make waves, not love
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 07:14:46 AM »

Also too, Desert Drive had a Mike lead written all over it.

100% agree!!! Too bad Carl declined to use the Paley material.

Too bad too that this KKS wasn't recorded in 1963 for the LDC album. It would have been the hardest rocking song on that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »

Great song and great re-make.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »

That’s still up in the air right now.  Any thoughts about whether there’s a preference for CD or vinyl for a release like this? EP or full album?  I would appreciate any comments that might help weigh a decision one way or another.  This was originally recorded with the intention of being used for European promotional purposes.  But, it did come out better than we hoped (Thank you, Adam!) so if the demand is there, we might pursue releasing it.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »

That’s still up in the air right now.  Any thoughts about whether there’s a preference for CD or vinyl for a release like this? EP or full album?  I would appreciate any comments that might help weigh a decision one way or another.  This was originally recorded with the intention of being used for European promotional purposes.  But, it did come out better than we hoped (Thank you, Adam!) so if the demand is there, we might pursue releasing it.
Aloha Carrie. Full LP please. And then a Vol II. I don't buy vinyl anymore but I will buy this CD. Please put this out, if nothing but iTunes atleast. I love that surf guitar sound and David is the real deal! Glad David is ok and will be 100%. Best to you both!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »

CD please! I want the full album.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 06:23:58 PM »

Hi Carrie,
I prefer buying albums on vinyl but would pay for this on any format. Maybe an EP could be released in limited quantities as part of Record Store Day next April?
I hope David is doing well
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »

A full album would be best as I'm always in favour of releasing as much stuff as possible and personally I prefer CDs because I have no way of playing vinyl. Is there any chance there will ever be another release on CD of Something Funny Goin' On and I Think About You Often?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »

A CD release and then vinyl on record store day would be cool.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 09:54:46 PM »

oh yes, as much as possible in terms of songs and in CD form. I can't play vinyl.  Thanks Carrie. Get Rolling Stone to promote it, review it, do a spread. If it's all as hot as KKS then it's bound to blow people away. I have KKS and Dave's live album on continual play in the car--a rockin' way to cruise the Southland freeways.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »

...Any thoughts about whether there’s a preference for CD or vinyl for a release like this? EP or full album?  I would appreciate any comments that might help weigh a decision one way or another.  This was originally recorded with the intention of being used for European promotional purposes.  But, it did come out better than we hoped (Thank you, Adam!) so if the demand is there, we might pursue releasing it.

Hi Carrie - vinyl would be great, especially if you guys recorded to analogue tape (although I get the impression this was recorded digitally).

If that's not viable $$ wise, it would be great to get a hold of 24bit/88.2 (or greater) uncompressed files - either by download or on a physical format like Blu Ray Audio or Hybrid SACD (that's where you can have both a CD and High res CD on the one disc - that's the format the Analogue Productions reissues have been released).  I mention this because based on David's download only "re-issue" of The Circle Continues, he made it pretty clear he wants his released music formats to be representative of his vision, and the high res format may better help us hear what David hears in his head and out of his amp.

Cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »

This is authentic, fun, high quality surf rock. Great job by all involved, Dave, Carrie, Spanish guys, Adam...kudos to all. Would have made a solid album track on the LDC record in '63, with a BW touch...but in this incarnation it just burns rubber in a hot and beautiful way.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »

That’s still up in the air right now.  Any thoughts about whether there’s a preference for CD or vinyl for a release like this? EP or full album?  I would appreciate any comments that might help weigh a decision one way or another.  This was originally recorded with the intention of being used for European promotional purposes.  But, it did come out better than we hoped (Thank you, Adam!) so if the demand is there, we might pursue releasing it.

First things first... digital release of the track (iTunes, Amazon, whatever).  Then CD/Vinyl/etc.  I prefer an LP in the long-run.

EDIT: As far as $$ is concerned, there's a serious trend toward the digital download as opposed to CD.  I'd buy a CD, but I'd love a digital option.  Obviously that costs less to produce and, IMO, would bring in more sales.  I've got two turntables for vinyl, but aside from my PC (which I use to rip CDs to lossless digital), I have no way of actually playing a CD.  Not even a CD player in the car.  Writing's kinda on the wall.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:00:07 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »

Would have made a solid album track on the LDC record in '63, with a BW touch...

Would have made a solid track on That's Why God Made The Radio, which could've used a little more energy and a "group contribution" feel.
Jez Graham
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »

It made my day to hear this Rockin Track. Can't wait to hear more!

Jez
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »

This is authentic, fun, high quality surf rock. Great job by all involved, Dave, Carrie, Spanish guys, Adam...kudos to all. Would have made a solid album track on the LDC record in '63, with a BW touch...but in this incarnation it just burns rubber in a hot and beautiful way.

Yeah, a great early 60s sound. Really enjoyed it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »

Would have made a solid album track on the LDC record in '63, with a BW touch...

Would have made a solid track on That's Why God Made The Radio, which could've used a little more energy and a "group contribution" feel.

Once again SJS, I second your opinion.  Or else along with Goin to the Beach on MIC.   
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »

Yeah, that "group contribution" feel is what made PS and Smile so great, after all.  Roll Eyes
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »

It's great. It could have taken the place of one of the recycled car songs, or Be True to Your School, and made LDC a truly proper pioneering concept album. Do you know what the timeframe was for David suggesting this song to Brian?
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »

Any info on this david Marks song Anytime USA? It sounds new also like Kustom Kar Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G_vsMstRSM
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »

Carrie, full album on CD please.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »

It's great. It could have taken the place of one of the recycled car songs, or Be True to Your School, and made LDC a truly proper pioneering concept album. Do you know what the timeframe was for David suggesting this song to Brian?
Yes, the timeframe is in the Lost Beach Boy book, as I recall it was when they got back to L.A. from the summer '63 tour and were recording some new things for LDC.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll keep this in mind when it comes time to making this project public. We still have some things to consider and the tracks still need to be mastered, plus artwork, but it’s looking good for a full release.

Any info on this david Marks song Anytime USA? It sounds new also like Kustom Kar Show.

The words to Anytime USA were written by David and Stevie Kalinich while driving around in LA traffic during the BB Landmark weekend - so that makes it 10 years old already.  David went home (NY at the time) and wrote the music & recorded the track.  Dennis Diken of the Smithereens plays drum, Jez Graham is on the organ and Alan Boyd is singing all the backing vocals.  This song was sort of released on the ‘let’s pretend this didn’t happen’ album, The Circle Continues.  This track is actually pretty good, thank you for the reminder.  Since the new project is going up on iTunes, I will release a digital version of Anytime USA as well. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx