gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:06:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New David Marks track - "Kustom Kar Show"  (Read 17051 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll keep this in mind when it comes time to making this project public. We still have some things to consider and the tracks still need to be mastered, plus artwork, but it’s looking good for a full release.

Any info on this david Marks song Anytime USA? It sounds new also like Kustom Kar Show.

The words to Anytime USA were written by David and Stevie Kalinich while driving around in LA traffic during the BB Landmark weekend - so that makes it 10 years old already.  David went home (NY at the time) and wrote the music & recorded the track.  Dennis Diken of the Smithereens plays drum, Jez Graham is on the organ and Alan Boyd is singing all the backing vocals.  This song was sort of released on the ‘let’s pretend this didn’t happen’ album, The Circle Continues.  This track is actually pretty good, thank you for the reminder.  Since the new project is going up on iTunes, I will release a digital version of Anytime USA as well. 

Thanks for the info! Thats awesome news you will have to let me know when you get that music up on itunes!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

Some cool, free music from the A-Phonics. Wonder how David found them?

https://a-phonics.bandcamp.com/album/mediterrani-beat-guitars
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:56:42 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

Would have made a solid album track on the LDC record in '63, with a BW touch...

Would have made a solid track on That's Why God Made The Radio, which could've used a little more energy and a "group contribution" feel.

It has way too much energy for TWGMTR's mellow feel. Wouldn't have fit and if Dave had supposed it, Brian would have rejected it. It should have been on LDC, though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »

...Any thoughts about whether there’s a preference for CD or vinyl for a release like this? EP or full album?  I would appreciate any comments that might help weigh a decision one way or another.  This was originally recorded with the intention of being used for European promotional purposes.  But, it did come out better than we hoped (Thank you, Adam!) so if the demand is there, we might pursue releasing it.

Hi Carrie - vinyl would be great, especially if you guys recorded to analogue tape (although I get the impression this was recorded digitally).

'Twas digital, but I'm pleased you couldn't tell from the audio.  That's kind of the point 'round here.  Smiley
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »

...Any thoughts about whether there’s a preference for CD or vinyl for a release like this? EP or full album?  I would appreciate any comments that might help weigh a decision one way or another.  This was originally recorded with the intention of being used for European promotional purposes.  But, it did come out better than we hoped (Thank you, Adam!) so if the demand is there, we might pursue releasing it.

Hi Carrie - vinyl would be great, especially if you guys recorded to analogue tape (although I get the impression this was recorded digitally).

'Twas digital, but I'm pleased you couldn't tell from the audio.  That's kind of the point 'round here.  Smiley
Thanks, Adam! Appreciate the info and looking forward to whatever and however coming out!
 Thumbs Up

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »

Some cool. free music from the A-Phonics. Wonder how David found them?

The Marksmen have a following in Valencia, believe it or not, so Juan Diego Sanchis, the A-Phonics lead guitarists and promoter of the annual Surf-O-Rama festival, reached out and hired David to play with them at the surf music festival last May.  It was the first time a promoter request “more Marksmen, less Beach Boys” from a set! Smiley
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »

I like the song a lot, and wish it could have been recorded back in the day. But since it wasn't, this is a more than respectable substitute. The production is fantastic Adam. I would buy the full album without hesitation in whatever format it gets released. Thank you and cheers.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »

What a fantastic time for Dave. He dodged a bullet and now is riding the crest of an amazing wave of proper critical acclaim. His live album on the Sunset Strip is starting to receive critical attention, as in David Beard's worthy review, http://www.examiner.com/review/david-marks-and-friends-live-on-sunset-2010, and now he has created a rockin', burning album that has excited the BB faithful.

If Mike and Brian can get it together, I look forward to more of David with the BB as well. If that happens or not, he has achieved personal excellence and displayed artistic brilliance, which all we fans cherish.

Way to go Dave. We are with you.

I like the song a lot, and wish it could have been recorded back in the day. But since it wasn't, this is a more than respectable substitute. The production is fantastic Adam. I would buy the full album without hesitation in whatever format it gets released. Thank you and cheers.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »

Some cool. free music from the A-Phonics. Wonder how David found them?

The Marksmen have a following in Valencia, believe it or not, so Juan Diego Sanchis, the A-Phonics lead guitarists and promoter of the annual Surf-O-Rama festival, reached out and hired David to play with them at the surf music festival last May.  It was the first time a promoter request “more Marksmen, less Beach Boys” from a set! Smiley

Thanks Carrie! Very cool! I remember reading about David playing the festival. How wonderful it has evolved into this special project! Who better to be the new King of the Surf Guitar!!! About time for a comeback of this great music form.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 04:53:19 AM »

Most encouraging stuff, Carrie!  Smiley
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »

Huh  "Kustom Kar Show" WAS released in 1964 on the A&M label by Dave & the Marksmen as the flip side to "Cruisin'" (A&M 730):

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/dave_and_the_marksmen/cruisin___kustom_kar_show/

Both promo copies and store stock copies were pressed.

It was also reissued by Sundazed Records a few years ago on colored vinyl:

http://www.amazon.com/THE-SHERIFF-NODDINGHAM-KUSTOM-SHOW/dp/B00AOAG2G2

Lee
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:36:31 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »

Huh  "Kustom Kar Show" WAS released in 1964 on the A&M label by Dave & the Marksmen as the flip side to "Cruisin'" (A&M 730):

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/dave_and_the_marksmen/cruisin___kustom_kar_show/

Both promo copies and store stock copies were pressed.

It was also reissued by Sundazed Records a few years ago on colored vinyl:

http://www.amazon.com/THE-SHERIFF-NODDINGHAM-KUSTOM-SHOW/dp/B00AOAG2G2

Lee

Oops, sorry for that, I forgot/hadn't realized about the Marksmen version. That particular statement was mostly a response to what I read upthread about how cool it would have been if the BBs had recorded it for the Little Deuce Coupe LP...  In any case my only motive for posting was to show support and encouragement for Adam and Carrie/Dave, because I listened to the track and thought it was rad. Simple as that.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »

Ahh, I get your point now Peter.  I would love to have heard a Beach Boys version as well.

Actually I prefer David's new version to the Marksmen version -- the track is much tighter, and David's lead vocal is stronger.  I would love to hear more in this vein.

Lee
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2015, 09:50:31 PM »

Ahh, I get your point now Peter.  I would love to have heard a Beach Boys version as well.

Actually I prefer David's new version to the Marksmen version -- the track is much tighter, and David's lead vocal is stronger.  I would love to hear more in this vein.

Lee

My feeling is that David and els Al-Phonics' remake of "Sheriff of Noddingham" also bests the (formidable) original.  YMMV, of course...we'll see if folks agree when it all sees release.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »

Hi Carrie, I'm the freak BB fan who pretty much only buys digital downloads, and I would very gladly buy a soft copy of any music that sounds like this!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2015, 01:33:06 AM »

Lee

My feeling is that David and els Al-Phonics' remake of "Sheriff of Noddingham" also bests the (formidable) original.  YMMV, of course...we'll see if folks agree when it all sees release.
Very cool to hear Adam. Hope this is out in time for summer!

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »

er, A-Phonics, not Al-Phonics.  I blame jet lag.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2015, 10:40:20 PM »

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT THE AL-PHONICS?!?!??!!

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the song writing & lyrics,     .... But geetar-wise, and production-wise, this song SLAYS!!!!!

Holy crap. It's got the balls that Beach Boys songs have been completely lacking since about before the Today album....

Carl "Lead Guitar" Wilson may have been the lead guitarist of the band, but this David Marks fellow of Hawthorne, CA fellow was truly the soul of those early recordings.

Much love,

The progeny of 2 different Hawthorne High School students

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »

So....

Maybe I'm the only one, but.....

I think world peace can be achieved by an Adam Marsland/Brian Wilson produced 2016 Beach Boys production.

I enjoyed the That's Why God Made The Radio album, but it was obviously a Brian Wilson solo venture featuring the voices of various Beach Boys....

This here "Kustom Kar Show" track that isn't on a Beach Boys album absolutely has the chutzpah to be considered a Beach Boys great, all it lacks is those vocal harmonies.....

Talk about missing the punt return!!!! Wow. This is the kind of music that needs to be on that BW R'N'R tribute album he's been talking about for the past few years......

No mas, por favor.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2015, 12:45:19 AM »

So....

Maybe I'm the only one, but.....

I think world peace can be achieved by an Adam Marsland/Brian Wilson produced 2016 Beach Boys production.

I enjoyed the That's Why God Made The Radio album, but it was obviously a Brian Wilson solo venture featuring the voices of various Beach Boys....

This here "Kustom Kar Show" track that isn't on a Beach Boys album absolutely has the chutzpah to be considered a Beach Boys great, all it lacks is those vocal harmonies.....

Talk about missing the punt return!!!! Wow. This is the kind of music that needs to be on that BW R'N'R tribute album he's been talking about for the past few years......

Good heavens, lol, what are you getting me into?

I think probably my best production move was getting the heck out of the way!  My job was mostly to keep things on track/make suggestions/tweak when needed, but butt out when not.  The best recordings come when everyone's on their A-game and on the same page.  So credit where it's due: the guys all brought the sound with 'em when they came in, including the right amps and the right attitude.  

I once asked my mentor, Earle Mankey, the secret to why his tracks always sounded so great.  His answer:  "Find musicians that play great, and put a mic in front of them!"  Wise words.

BTW, quick plug for another band that just recorded here, Mod Hippie - their new album does a very cool '60s psych-garage thing.  From the BBs world, Probyn Gregory guests on a track on theremin, and Teresa Cowles, who sacriligeously wore a firehat in Love & Mercy, is all over it on bass and backing vocals.  If you're of a mind to check it out, there's a highlight reel here:  https://youtu.be/RxP3mE5gAmw - different from Dave's thing, but pretty neat.

Now back to trying to find a flight out of Manila during APEC!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:53:52 AM by adamghost » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 10:00:07 PM »

Not world peace, but it's hard to imagine a more boring and even less exciting soundscape than the latest BW/Joe Thomas coproductions. So any other producer would be welcome. Joe Thomas is to me the sonic equivalent to Landy. Landy saved Brian's life but damaged his body severely. Thomas ensures that Brian records but gives the recordings a soundscape that drains all energy from them. I took a short listen to a few tracks from the 2012 live record the other day - how is it possible that someone ruins the material this way?!? Obviously Brian is fine with that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »

I took a short listen to a few tracks from the 2012 live record the other day - how is it possible that someone ruins the material this way?!? Obviously Brian is fine with that.

Yeah, Brian was credited as a Producer. Oh, sorry, wrong thread. No, wait...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 07:32:20 PM »

Well, let me put it this way. David is creating music now in the year 2015 that is not necessarily 100% retro but is rather timely, hip, urban, punk, multicultural so to speak, and timeless. That surf sound is by no means dated and comes out of the speakers as incredibly powerful and vital. Brian Wilson knows that Dave can play like this and can create this type of music. However, Brian and Joe are interested in a mellow as hell adult contemporary style. I listen to no peer pressure all the time, but it will leave you hungry for the intensity and the animal power of this particular track that Dave has done, which is probably representative of the rest of the album. Now Brian Wilson must not be the best producer of David work at this time, but if the Beach Boys could ever pull together their five individual talents and creativity, then you would have a beach boy album that at least in part would really cook. If I were Mike and Brian listening to this, & I should say Al and Bruce as well, they would want to get together and make an album with various different songs, some really burning like this one and some others mellow as hell. It's really up to Brian and Mike to talk to Dave to hear what he's doing and, as it were, to understand that this sort of hot music, distinctly in a beach boy style because Dave is a beach boy, can be featured on the next beach boy album, which Adam should produce. With Adam and Mark and Alan in charge of a project, I guess that would be a dream project, you would get the best of the individual Beach Boys and the best of their collective collaborations.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »

Also have a question on the  david marks song Polemics, Poetry & Peace . Is this recorded around the same one as Anytime USA? it is also With Stephen Kalinich.Thanks

https://youtu.be/tCwez7pcj8o
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx