gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:09:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New David Marks track - "Kustom Kar Show"  (Read 17124 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »

After Adam’s ringing endorsement of Kustom Kar Show and the news of the recent passing of Kustom Kar King, George Barris, whose Beatnik Bandit is mentioned in the tune, we figured it would be a good time to post the track.  

https://soundcloud.com/davidleemarks/kustom-kar-show

Thought this deserved it's own thread as the other one going is about David's recent heart scare.

https://soundcloud.com/davidleemarks/kustom-kar-show

This baby rocks with a great David vocal!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:32:04 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »

I love it too but I'm biased!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »

For, this is the best BB-related track released in at least 4 years. Great job!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »

Grin Spirited stuff, v-cool!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »

This must be what it sounded like on that famous day on 119th street when the marksman music first found its way into the air, as Jon  describes the moment in his book. I can almost see Murry coming out indignant with his pipe. Dave is absolutely the undisputed king of the surf guitar. Do you hear the solo in here? It is absolutely mind blowing. I wouldn't see any particular reason to say anything negative about Mike song. Mike's song is very much full of consolation which might help people at a very lonely time of the year. Some of us get old, and we lose our families and maybe we're not with anyone special and we remember the innocence of Christmas, and it's so wonderful to think that one can meditate and think deeply and feel part of a greater spiritual truth. No, I congratulate Mike for being Mike in a very characteristic way and Dave for doing the same, and i thank both Beach Boys for these amazing gifts which I intend to enjoy over and over.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »

This must be what it sounded like on that famous day on 119th street when the marksman music first found its way into the air, as Jon  describes the moment in his book. I can almost see Murry coming out indignant with his pipe. Dave is absolutely the undisputed king of the surf guitar. Do you hear the solo in here? It is absolutely mind blowing. I wouldn't see any particular reason to say anything negative about Mike song. Mike's song is very much full of consolation which might help people at a very lonely time of the year. Some of us get old, and we lose our families and maybe we're not with anyone special and we remember the innocence of Christmas, and it's so wonderful to think that one can meditate and think deeply and feel part of a greater spiritual truth. No, I congratulate Mike for being Mike in a very characteristic way and Dave for doing the same, and i thank both Beach Boys for these amazing gifts which I intend to enjoy over and over.

I actually like Mike's recording a lot, though I'm sympathy with the folks who called the vocal processing into question.

You're pretty close in that nearly all of this recording was done in an actual '50s era garage, with wood beams and bric a brac on the walls.  I think the garage itself deserves a coproduction credit!

BTW, vis a vis the guitar, David also redid "Sheriff of Noddingham" and that will leave you gasping for air.  Phenomenal performance both by David and the A-Phonics.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:57:27 PM by adamghost » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »

Oh Adam, in case it wasn't clear I want to offer a very specific note of thanks to you for this. It's an absolute gem and I just keep putting it on play and listening to it again and again. So vintage yet so fresh and so timeless. If anyone reads the book about Dave,  the Lost beach boy or digs into those old marksman recordings and then finds out that today in the year 2015 you have released a new smoking hot fresh and vibrant version of that song, it's just like a dream come true which takes the past into the present so powerfully ,so emotionally , and with so much energy. You have captured a bit of Dionysus here, which is the goal of every musical artist, and the professor salutes you and the garage with great thanks.

And yes, you are right about Mike's processed vocals, which one would pretty much just have to overlook in order to get to the core of the song I suppose.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »

Oh Adam, in case it wasn't clear I want to offer a very specific note of thanks to you for this. It's an absolute gem and I just keep putting it on play and listening to it again and again. So vintage yet so fresh and so timeless. If anyone reads the book about Dave,  the Lost beach boy or digs into those old marksman recordings and then finds out that today in the year 2015 you have released a new smoking hot fresh and vibrant version of that song, it's just like a dream come true which takes the past into the present so powerfully ,so emotionally , and with so much energy. You have captured a bit of Dionysus here, which is the goal of every musical artist, and the professor salutes you and the garage with great thanks.

And yes, you are right about Mike's processed vocals, which one would pretty much just have to overlook in order to get to the core of the song I suppose.

Thanks man, it was the best situation, where everyone was on the same page and brought their A-game.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »

Did David rerecord this version this year?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »

Did David rerecord this version this year?

Yes, in September-October 2015.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »

Really a great job Adam. I feel properly reverb drenched as all good surf guitar music should. Brings back memories as a kid and getting out of the surf in Redondo Beach. Can't wait to buy this album!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 05:03:37 PM »

Really a great job Adam. I feel properly reverb drenched as all good surf guitar music should. Brings back memories as a kid and getting out of the surf in Redondo Beach. Can't wait to buy this album!

LOL glad to hear it.  We mixed the whole album in one day, and about the biggest thing on my mind was blending the vintage and non-vintage reverb sounds so that the digital portion of the sound didn't blow the vibe.  So I appreciate the kind words!
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »

Sounds awesome and like David was having a great time singing it too

Quick question, Adam-is David playing his Jaguar Big Block on this?
Cheers and can't wait to hear more
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »

I think so, yeah.  He used both his Jag and the Strat, and my recollection is he used the Jag on all the Marksmen stuff and the Strat got used on some of the BBs remakes.  We tended to keep things moving so I wasn't keeping close track - he switched back and forth a few times, so I can't say 100%.

EDIT:  Actually, listening back to the track, it's definitely the Jag, just from the sonics of it.  My ears are better than my memory anytime!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:19:43 PM by adamghost » Logged
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »

I think so, yeah.  He used both his Jag and the Strat, and my recollection is he used the Jag on all the Marksmen stuff and the Strat got used on some of the BBs remakes.  We tended to keep things moving so I wasn't keeping close track - he switched back and forth a few times, so I can't say 100%.

EDIT:  Actually, listening back to the track, it's definitely the Jag, just from the sonics of it.  My ears are better than my memory anytime!

Thanks Adam-I thought it sounded like the Jag. I'm assuming it was bought for the C50 tour? I've been looking for a decent Big Block for a few years now but they are scarce. Anyways, thanks again for uploading-off to listen again!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »

Excellent work, Adam. You definitely captured the spirit of '63 in this track in a way that other attempts have fallen short of the marks (no pun intended).  Grin
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »

Excellent work, Adam. You definitely captured the spirit of '63 in this track in a way that other attempts have fallen short of the marks (no pun intended).  Grin

They all brought it.  Smiley  I just (hopefully) didn't screw it up.  

I think a problem these days is people want a vintage sound, but they're kind of afraid to use the same process.  The gear is important for sure - but we tracked the band live in a room with no baffles or anything like that.  You just don't "do" that anymore, but that's how the old records were made.  The sound of the room and allowing the instruments to bounce around is part of what makes 'em so cool.

Carrie deserves a lot of credit for how it worked out...she brought a lot of impetus and support for the approach.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:21:02 PM by adamghost » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 09:02:06 PM »

LOL glad to hear it.  We mixed the whole album in one day, and about the biggest thing on my mind was blending the vintage and non-vintage reverb sounds so that the digital portion of the sound didn't blow the vibe.  So I appreciate the kind words!
Great mix! I can hear the guitars, bass, drums, vocals pulling together but still distinct. The mic bleed really helps give it that classic sound. Watching Love and Mercy recreate all those people in one room, same thing. I hope this is a huge success and we get a Vol II. Now why isn't Rolling Stone doing a page report on David like Mike got today?

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »

Love it, most especially the guitar! Rock!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »

This sounds great all around.  Only thing it's missing is the Beach Boys harmonies behind it!

Paul McCartney recorded an album called "Run Devil Run" in the 90's shortly after Linda passed away, it was just all throwback rockabilly stuff, didn't take long to do.  It was great.

David should hook up with Al and Brian and record an album like that, just stuff like this that rocks and gets back to their early roots.  It'd be amazing!

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 05:14:44 AM »

Very well done... and listening to it right after 'Alone On Christmas Day 2015' is lol...
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »

This sounds great all around.  Only thing it's missing is the Beach Boys harmonies behind it!

I was thinking the exact same thing Ron!  Since the story (I believe) is that David wrote this while he was in the band, but Murry had no intent of letting the group record it, I would love to hear a "what-if" version with a harmony stack.

Lee
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »

Actually, if I recall the passage from TLBB correctly, BW told Dave he "wasn't ready" after Dave brought the song to him. (P.97: actually Jon Says Murry was glowering over B's shoulder, so he may have compelled B to reject it.

Looks like Dave is ready now!

This sounds great all around.  Only thing it's missing is the Beach Boys harmonies behind it!

I was thinking the exact same thing Ron!  Since the story (I believe) is that David wrote this while he was in the band, but Murry had no intent of letting the group record it, I would love to hear a "what-if" version with a harmony stack.

Lee
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »

This sounds great all around.  Only thing it's missing is the Beach Boys harmonies behind it!

I was thinking the exact same thing Ron!  Since the story (I believe) is that David wrote this while he was in the band, but Murry had no intent of letting the group record it, I would love to hear a "what-if" version with a harmony stack.

Lee

Would have been a great Mike lead vocal back in the day! Another great BB song that wasn't. Also too, Desert Drive had a Mike lead written all over it.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »

Is the track available for purchase? 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx