gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:20:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Stars And Stripes Volume I
5 - 3 (4.3%)
4 - 4 (5.7%)
3 - 13 (18.6%)
2 - 15 (21.4%)
1 - 14 (20%)
0 - 21 (30%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stars And Stripes Volume I  (Read 40405 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »

Remove Long Tall Texan, I Get Around and the execrable version of Be True to Your School. Replace with In My Room, Sail on Sailor and California and it might have been passable. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 10:08:48 AM »

Horrible. The aural equivalent to a leaky colostomy bag. The only good points are "Caroline No" "Warmth of the Sun" "I Can Hear Music" and I guess "Sloop John B". That, and the disc makes a decent weapon if tossed just right.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 09:04:14 AM »

This was their last chance of ever recording an album with a line-up worthy of the BB name and they blew it. With a pointless album with mostly soulless re-recordings.

If you can find this album somewhere for just a few bucks, it's worth it for The Warmth Of The Sun and Caroline No, but apart from those two songs: really bad album.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »

i saw on amazon where they re-packaged this & called it beach boys with special guests or something...that's sad.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

Agreed punkinhead.

I gave this album a 3. It's not as bad as some make out. To me, this album feels like an "Amercian Country Idol" with the Beach Boys doing a fantastic job on backup vox. It was never going to take music to another level like Pet Sounds, *BUT* it got the boys back together in the studio trying to do something new that they hadn't done before. And it was nice to see them in great spirits. It's just a shame that after this, everything fell apart.

The only criminal thing about this album is that "Sail On, Sailor", "In My Room" and the proposed songs (Surfer Girl and California) could not have been exchanged for say...

1. Long Tall Texan - Dear God, what a joke
2. Sloop John B - Almost as bad as hearing Barbara Ann all the damn time

I wonder what Vol. 2 would've had in store...  Roll Eyes

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 05:11:05 PM »

sad album, but not why you think. Makes me so sad to ALMOST hear what these guys could still sound like together in the studio in 1995.  The BGV's (esp Warmth of the Sun, Caroline, No & Don't Worry Baby) are unbelievable, if you can get past all of the lead vocals.  Again, what could have been...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »

I gave this album a 3.  My favorite tracks are Caroline, No and Don't Worry Baby. 
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

Warmth of the Sun is shockingly great - especially since I can't tolerate Willie Nelson!
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 03:02:28 AM »

Probably the only 'BBs' album I can live without, maybe something good can be done with a remix - replace the guests with new vocals by the band? That would perhaps provide useful modern sounding versions of these classics. Having Carl in there somewhere is obviously a bonus.

Personally I enjoyed the re-make of "Fun Fun Fun" with Status Quo which was made around the same time better.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »

"Fun Fun Fun" is the only song I've ever heard by Status Quo.

consequently, I hate Status Quo.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »

I put this in on a little drive when I was really tired after work, it kept me up cuz I hadn't heard it in years and actually had me listening, just for the BB's vocals.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »

I don't consider this to be an legitimate proper Beach Boys album, more as country style Tribute compilation with the Beach Boys behind it.

The Warmth Of The Sun is easily the highlight, though give me the original anyday!

1 out of 5. It's still a better album than SIP, 15 Big Ones and KTSA. But I still don't consider this as part of the Beach Boys canon.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:05:56 PM by Jarhead » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »

It's co-produced by Brian Wilson and features all of the living members of the group on nearly every song. Seems close enough to me.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »

Not a Beach Boys album. Not a good tribute album. Country Style Beach Boys not a good concept. Just no. Zero.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »

This album gets a pretty unfair rap. It's better than Summer in Paradise. It has BB vocals. Some of the artists paying tribute give some really great performances. Now that it's not the last word in the BB lexicon I think we can afford a more generous appraisal.

3 stars for me.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »

i think the guys were on the right track with the idea, some of the arrangements are great, as in DWB, caroline, 409....

the rest are a little ho hum....

maybe a better selection of artists may have been better...... I guess they were going for the new country sound with what
I would say were 'so so' artists.....
I really only dig DWB on the set....... but the vocals from the boys are bloody great I thinks....

a pity sail on sailor never made it........

RickB
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

3/5  I much prefer the video to the LP.  Some artists were poor choices to participate also.. James House + Doug Superknaw + Junior Brown among others make no sense to me.. Doing a live concert with guest artists I would also prefer than studio versions.. Carl is also absent on a couple things and was starting to miss stuff by 1995 so maybe he was ill.. We will never know.. I bet Mike thinks this a fine record.. Nascar to.. Should have recorded the Don Was + Andy Paley stuff instead another missed opportunity .. 
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »

I have to agree with the consensus. This had absolutely no reason to exist, and the fact that it was almost their last album ever is scary and kinda pathetic. Lucky TWGMTR saved them from that final disgrace. But seriously, after the absolute humiliation of SIP...this was the best they could do? Not even an attempt at creativity or redemption or ANYTHING? Really?

0/5

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »

3/5  I much prefer the video to the LP.  Some artists were poor choices to participate also.. James House + Doug Superknaw + Junior Brown among others make no sense to me.. Doing a live concert with guest artists I would also prefer than studio versions.. Carl is also absent on a couple things and was starting to miss stuff by 1995 so maybe he was ill.. We will never know.. I bet Mike thinks this a fine record.. Nascar to.. Should have recorded the Don Was + Andy Paley stuff instead another missed opportunity .. 
I agree with you 100%. There was a chance at cutting some really great stuff with Was/Paley - at least based on the 2 songs they did do, Soul Searchin' and Still a Mystery. The band had become a joke by the time this cd came out, the only new stuff us fans had to enjoy in the early/mid-90's was the 2 Brian albums in 95.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »

I think the main problem with this is the crossover appeal just isn't there. Who do Beach Boys fans want to hear perform these songs? The Beach Boys. Who do country fans want to hear perform these songs? Well, if they're not at all keen on the Beach Boys, no one. If they kinda like them, refer to question 1.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 06:14:19 PM »

Horrible. The aural equivalent to a leaky colostomy bag. The only good points are "Caroline No" "Warmth of the Sun" "I Can Hear Music" and I guess "Sloop John B". That, and the disc makes a decent weapon if tossed just right.
LOL Hey Billy, quit stealin' my thunder!  Wink...oops, forgot this is an old thread that doesn't qualify for new comments. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:17:04 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »

Hearing this the night after I listened to Summer in Paradise, I can make at least one positive comment on it: the snare drum doesn't sound like it is mixed at 11 with everything else being at 3. It is real instruments, and they are played reasonably well. But these journeymen country singers are not who the BB's should have been recording with - assuming that they needed to do a project like this in the first place. Willie sounds great on Warmth of the Sun - second great version of this song in a year, following Brian's version on IJWMFTT. But where was Waylon Jennings? Merle Haggard? They had a version of In My Room with Tammy Wynette, but I guess they decided it was too good for this album. It would have been nice for Carl's last record with the group to be a good one, and yes, the Boys do sound good here, but I would rather hear them as the lead singers. Carl still sounded great in 1990-whatever, Al still sounded great, Brian did some amazing vocals on Orange Crate Art. Gonna be a long time till we get another Beach Boys album.
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »

I gave it a one for the fun version of I Get Around.
I can't stand country and most of the other tracks were awful, especially Willie Nelson.
Mike had every right to shut him down in the studio. It was terrible.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx