gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Stars And Stripes Volume I
5 - 3 (4.3%)
4 - 4 (5.7%)
3 - 13 (18.6%)
2 - 15 (21.4%)
1 - 14 (20%)
0 - 21 (30%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stars And Stripes Volume I  (Read 40454 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2005, 11:45:10 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Stars And Stripes Volume I, released August 1996.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:45:08 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:45:46 AM »

Ehhhhhh. Just ehhhhhhh.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 11:48:31 AM »

Yuck. As is the case with pretty much every single second of released Beach Boys material from the 80s onward, this does nothing for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
st2580smile
Smiley Smile Associate

It is such a fine line between clever and stupid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 04:35:45 PM »

Yeah Huh Tongue Undecided
Nelson, what were you thinking?
Has anyone heard "In My Room" with Tammy Winnette?
Heard it was on a compilation of hers. She would not allow it on
Stars and Stripes. A small clip heard on the DVD. Please don't reply about me owning the DVD.. Embarrassed
I was a gift?.. Grin
Still waiting for vol. 2! Wink
Pete
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »

Caroline No, Warmth of the Sun and In My Room (and Sail on Sailor too!).  The rest are bloody awful.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 01:40:15 PM »

I don't like it atol, but in retrospect, can you imagine who would be on it now?? Toby Keith, Big & Cheesy, Gretchen Wilson, and to throw in the least country dude, but still a complete redneck- Kid Rock. UGH.
Maybe Stars & Stripes IS a masterpiece? Geez...
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:57:24 AM »

THIS is what they can put out instead of one last album?Huh THIS is what You're Still a Mystery is shelved in favor of?Huh?

For me, this was the absolute end when that happened.  All over but the funeral, which sadly came two years later.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »

really grat background harmonies :D
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 12:21:13 PM »

Grat indeed.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 01:02:12 PM »

The gratest.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 02:31:41 PM »

Just recently got this. The backing voices are beautiful. I was watching a tape recording of the studio footage and it's hard to watch all the boys (well mostly just seeing Brian and Mike) back in the studio cracking up and singing together again, and then soon afterwards they separated. But I enjoyed watching it though. There isn't anything extremley good on this, Caroline No is good but all the others are just like the originals, just different leads. I give it a 3

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 08:30:30 AM »

I really don't get why so many people get their panties into a wad over this album.  The production is pretty good, the harmonies are killer, and quite a few of the vocalists give a good performance.  Lorrie Morgan's vocal on Don't Worry Baby is bitchin'.  409, Little Deuce Coupe, I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun and Warmth of the Sun are all great too.  How about Doug Supernaw doing Long Tall Texan?  That's awesome!

Two messy, greasy thumbs up!  4 stars.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 08:32:27 AM »

I really don't get why so many people get their panties into a wad over this album.  The production is pretty good, the harmonies are killer, and quite a few of the vocalists give a good performance.  Lorrie Morgan's vocal on Don't Worry Baby is bitchin'.  409, Little Deuce Coupe, I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun and Warmth of the Sun are all great too.  How about Doug Supernaw doing Long Tall Texan?  That's awesome!

You, sir, are a brave man.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »

You, sir, are a brave man.

I agree with analogdemon. Stars And Stripes provided some enjoyment. I'm not exactly a country music fan, but I could appreciate the lead vocalists.  Hey, you had contributions from Willie Nelson, Lorrie Morgan, Toby Keith, Collin Raye, and Jimmy Webb (arrangements). That ain't too bad.

Like every Beach Boys' album since 1967, the project would've benefited from some songs that were left off, like Rodney Crowell's "Sail On Sailor" and Tammy Wynette's "In My Room". I know they were planning a Volume 2, but why the shortage of songs? It's not as if the Beach Boys didn't have the material.

I'm not a Joe Thomas basher. I think he did a fine job in his short stint as producer. On Stars And Stripes, he made the Beach Boys sound like, well, the Beach Boys. I don't think Brian (or Carl) could've done that. Going slightly OT, I thought Joe Thomas did a good job on Brian's Imagination album. I don't think he over-produced it, or made it sound too slick. For anyone who thinks he "hindered" Imagination, could you point out specific tracks or parts, 'cause I don't hear it. Was it the overall feel? I think it's the best Brian sounded in his entire solo career, which ain't saying much.

Finally, I liked the Stars And Stripes video. I thought it was well done; a well produced documentary. It was funny and sentimental at the same time. I always enjoy studio and pre-concert footage. The Beach Boys actually looked like normal human beings; not drugged out, back stabbing, lawsuit serving, adversaries. Maybe I was an optimist in 1995-1996, but after watching the video, I felt good about the Beach Boys as a group, as a band, as people. I really thought something might come out of this "reunion"...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 11:34:58 AM »

For anyone who thinks he "hindered" Imagination, could you point out specific tracks or parts, 'cause I don't hear it. Was it the overall feel?

Yes, at least for me. It made everything sound like a keyboard sample, even when natural instruments. I just don't like it at all. I just listened again the other day (I don't tend to listen to it much.), and my opinion remains the same. I like about half the songs, but dislike almost everything, production-wise. The drums, the synths...the guitar parts don't even sound like BW guitar-writing, to me. (Maybe he arranged them differently than he previously had, but my guess would be that Thomas or the guitarists themselves did, and he either didn't care or was OK with it.)

Not my thing, that one...

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »

Finally, I liked the Stars And Stripes video. I thought it was well done; a well produced documentary. It was funny and sentimental at the same time. I always enjoy studio and pre-concert footage. The Beach Boys actually looked like normal human beings; not drugged out, back stabbing, lawsuit serving, adversaries. Maybe I was an optimist in 1995-1996, but after watching the video, I felt good about the Beach Boys as a group, as a band, as people. I really thought something might come out of this "reunion"...

That's Boyd's film. 

I like the album pretty well - i like most of the treatments of the songs, and i love the BBs' backing vocals.  And a couple of the songs - DWB, IMR, CN - are pure magic.  I'm changing my vote, upon reflection, from a 3 to a 4.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »

Yikes - i can't change my vote!  But if i could, i would.  From a 3 to a 4.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »

I give a 3
An album that could have been a great one, which would have replaced an even better one (the unfinished nerw BBs-album from the 90s). There are some great cuts from the session, e.g. Willie Nelson, Tammy Wynette, Lorrie Morgan, Doug Supernaw and also Timothy B. Schmitt and I also like Junior Brown's contribution.
I always dream about what this album could have been. I heard the demo of "California" by Al, which is heard in EH, was a demo for Merle Haggard. I also think that before the release of that album names like Hank Williams Jr. were mentioned. I've said this quite often on many boards, I think "Let the wind blow" would have been THE perfect song for Johnny Cash. Add to the great cuts of the original album, plus Haggard, George Jones doing "God only knows", Jerry Lee Lewis with "Got to know the woman" and let Bobby Bare sing one of the car songs, while Kris Kristofferson might have done "Forever" and it would have been a great album imho
The tracklist seems to show who as responsible for the kind of songs which were recorded. And also the liner notes have that Mike Love-touch with "it sure was fun in the sun". Boy, I can't stand this crap (apologies if they weren't Mike's, but I hate them anyway).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 03:21:41 PM »

I gave it a 0.  It's not a Beach Boys album after all.  If it were, I would actually get to hear some great BB vocals.  Instead, I get to listen to them in background. No thanks.  I don't even own it anymore.  I don't care if it becames a rarity worth money (which it obviously hasn't as I have seen it many times still in a local used cd store).
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 09:11:21 AM »

Good harmonies, bad idea.

15 Big Ones of the 90's.

Willie did a nice job. But I didn't need the nutritional drink coupon.

Just okay. I never listen to it. I give it a 2 for the background.

Just reeks of desperation, trying to cash in on the country craze brought in by Garth Brooks. "Here Comes The Night" all over again.

You know what? No. F it. I'm giving it a 1.

Although the doc was pretty good. Nice to see Mike and Bri BSing together. And Mike acting like a jackass in front of Willie Nelson.

Okay, I'm based on that I'm going back to my original statement. 2.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 09:28:48 PM »

I just got it at the mall today (didn't listen to it yet, though).. I thought they stopped selling this album years ago?

EDIT: I listened.. and I just have to ask myself - Why? This is so unsatisfying, so pointless.. and any album where Long Tall Texan is my favorite song is a bad one indeed! The bass in Sloop John B is pretty good, though.

2 stars.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:31:27 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 04:57:44 AM »

Hate this missed chance at greatness if Paley stuff had been recorded and real instruments used. This was the dumbest thing ever. They sing ok on it but when I know what could have been. I couldn't bearly play it. This was the worst move they ever made if not their worst recording (damn close though) Dvd is ok for historical purposes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 11:25:41 PM »

I find after repeated listens I tend to warm up to anything.

The ending of Caroline No is amazing, is that Brian that keeps on wailing "Caroline no! Caroline no!" ? Beautiful.

But I still think it's a pointless album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 02:35:56 PM »

Not bad but nothing special. 409, I Get Around and Be True To Your School are my favourites.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 10:14:09 AM »

Thought I'd add my two cents/penneth/euros worth in here - and if you take away the fact that its credited as a BB release then its a damn fine country crossover collection - its just that as BB collectors we expect that little bit more. As a compilation of country artists I'd give it 5 out of 5 but as a BB release ... hmmmm ... 2 ?? 3 Huh Not sure ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx