gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:08:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Christmas Song... Exclusive premiere in Rolling Stone...  (Read 22551 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »

I just hope no one gets suspended ,like that time with Brian, for all of these claims that Mike might have used Autotune. We don't need that so close to the Holidays. (thousand yard stare)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:35:34 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »

Hopefully David Beard can clear that up for us and just ask Mike Love about it to continue this gripping whodunnit.

"It was Dirty Dancin' guy that did it! I don't really sound like Cher, honest!"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

I just hope no one gets suspended ,like that time with Brian, for all of these claims that Mike might have used Autotune. We don't need that so close to the Holidays. (thousand yard stare)

Cam - Who got suspended? Give me a name.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »

Are those crickets I hear chirping?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »

No one I hope.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »

I didn't get the message of this "message" song.    why is it that we'll never be alone on Christmas Day?      Seriously....I missed that bit.    Please explain it to me.    Seriously.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:50 AM »

It's tradition for Beach Boys Christmas Songs to have certain lyrics that make absolutely no sense, so Mike threw that in there to make it authentic.

For instance...

"Christmas comes this Time each Year!.   Christmas Comes this Time each year!"

Why, thank you for that Mike.  What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 06:54:20 AM »

This single is an example of Mike doing half-assed versions of more talented guys like Brian Wilson and Phil Spector.

Don't be so absurd and enjoy any new Beach Boys releated song that comes out! This dont happen often anymore and one day we wont get any new music from the guys!

Don't be so absurd to tell SMiLEBrian not to be absurd. It's like telling him to not be SMiLEBrian.

You're right to enjoy this though. It's very pleasant, other that I don't like the BMB intro and the overlong outro I prefer this sonically to the latest Wilson/Thomas coproductions. Mike's voice is detriorating now as well but at least not as badly as Brian's. There is one background voice on this that somehow sounds similar to the modern day Brian Wilson, especially on the "be" in the acappella section. is that Brian Eichenberger?

For the record, What I Really Want for Christmas is probably the best Christmas album I've ever heard.

To me, second only to the BB's 1964 effort. I listen to both of them a lot during Christmas season.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:07:39 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »

Yeah there's definitely a modern day Brian voice doppelganger in there. Probably not Foskett but I wonder who it is?
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »

I like this track a lot. But, i.e. the vocal processing. To me, parts of the lead vocal mix reminds me a bit of some of the vocal sound on Jan Berry's Second Wave solo album.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »

No one I hope.

So what was your point, Cam?  I'm trying to follow this...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »

No one I hope.

That I hope people don't get as upset about opinions regarding Autotune on Mike's song as they got about opinions regarding Autotune on Brian's songs. So far they aren't so I guess we are good.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »

No one I hope.

That I hope people don't get as upset about opinions regarding Autotune on Mike's song as they got about opinions regarding Autotune on Brian's songs. So far they aren't so I guess we are good.

Upset?  Your original post said nothing at all about people getting upset - it is quoted in this very post, in case you've forgotten.  You originally posted about people being suspended over the autotune issue, then you were called out on it.  Now you are changing your (auto)tune, in fairly typical Cam Mott fashion, I might add.

Sophistry of the lowest order.

EoL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »

No one I hope.

So what was your point, Cam?  I'm trying to follow this...

Cam: If in fact BOTH Brian on NPP, and Mike on this new song, used Autotune on their respective solo recordings (or some similar pitch correction software), do you think it's a tad bit hypocritical for Mike to have thrown that Autotune dig out at Brian a few months back in the infamous interview he gave? Not trying to start a debate about what pitch correction was or wasn't used. I'm saying, assuming that they both used it (as I believe is absolutely the case) or both of them signed off on Autotuned recordings that their producers made.

Clearly, both guys have used it to varying degrees of success on recent recordings, but my question has nothing to do with a debate about it, or pointing fingers as to who made the decision to process the vocals in the way they got released... I'm simply pointing out some unavoidable hypocrisy that cannot be denied. If Autotune or similar pitch correction software was in fact used on both guys' recordings, are you going to say that there is zero hypocrisy with that interview? For once, let's finally admit that this interview was a foot-in-mouth moment that looks pretty ridiculous, especially in light of Mike's new, clearly pitch-corrected (and not very well) tune, which by the way, I'll still say is an ok, not too bad song overall.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:54:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:38 AM »

I guess Cam's referring to this old thread on mustard and ketchup:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20337.0.html

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2015, 12:27:43 AM »

Who got suspended? Give me a name.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:58 AM »

Dont care Mike used a old BB xmas tune. I really love the song and the vocals are nice. So what if they use autotune. Every artist today uses autotune but not many artist can sing live. Thanks to Mike for giving us a new "beach boys" song !!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:19 AM »

I guess Cam's referring to this old thread on mustard and ketchup:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20337.0.html

Didn't someone end up suspended in that thread?  Maybe I'm mistaken.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2015, 03:36:50 AM »

I believe it was The Cincinnati Kid.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2015, 03:47:08 AM »

No one I hope.

Upset?  Your original post said nothing at all about people getting upset - it is quoted in this very post, in case you've forgotten.  You originally posted about people being suspended over the autotune issue, then you were called out on it.  Now you are changing your (auto)tune, in fairly typical Cam Mott fashion, I might add.

Sophistry of the lowest order.

EoL

Yeah, people were upset.  You didn't think so?  Anyway I hope we don't have a repeat over allegations of the use or non-use of Autotune in Mike's song.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2015, 03:55:48 AM »

It's tradition for Beach Boys Christmas Songs to have certain lyrics that make absolutely no sense, so Mike threw that in there to make it authentic.

For instance...

I wonder if the Beatles were spoofing this on their fan club Christmas record with the "ain't been 'round since you know when" bit.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2015, 06:12:47 AM »

Enough of this garbage. No one got suspended over making claims that Autotune was or wasn't used, no one would get banned or suspended for that kind of reason anyway, and to suggest people were banned for that reason as you did in the original question (which you then dodged when asked about it) is as irresponsible as it is totally false.

When you hope that no one gets suspended, like happened sometime in the past, for making claims that someone did or didn't do something...and no one was ever suspended or banned for that reason in the first place...there is no basis for such a question and the question becomes an allegation posing as fact.

Consider if you don't know what you're talking about, it's best not to talk about it.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »

What's interesting (though not surprising) about this song is that Mike incorporates so many tags/feels/melodies/vocal licks of several Beach Boys tracks.  Drum intro, vocal cliff/pause from Good Vibrations, even the falsetto melody from Crocodile Rock.  With a modern-era Brian sound-alike voice to boot! 

All that said, I dig the song.  I snipped the intro drums and replaced them with the vocal intro from Brian's "What I Really Want For Christmas."  Now it's even better!

Next task, tack Brian's "Christmasey" intro from "Let It Shine" onto some other Christmas track.  Can't decide which, though.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2015, 03:37:04 AM »

Enough of this garbage. No one got suspended over making claims that Autotune was or wasn't used, no one would get banned or suspended for that kind of reason anyway, and to suggest people were banned for that reason as you did in the original question (which you then dodged when asked about it) is as irresponsible as it is totally false.

When you hope that no one gets suspended, like happened sometime in the past, for making claims that someone did or didn't do something...and no one was ever suspended or banned for that reason in the first place...there is no basis for such a question and the question becomes an allegation posing as fact.

Consider if you don't know what you're talking about, it's best not to talk about it.

I went back and read the thread and you are right in that I was wrong in the particular.

There was a lot of discussion of Autotune in that thread but no one was suspended for their comments on Autotune.

I stand corrected and I apologize.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »

For instance...

long long ago I had all the Beatles' Christmas messages on vinyl. A little less long ago, all my vinyl was stolen. I'd forgotten all about these. Thanks for reminding me!

I wonder if the Beatles were spoofing this on their fan club Christmas record with the "ain't been 'round since you know when" bit.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx