gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:05:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Christmas Song... Exclusive premiere in Rolling Stone...  (Read 22541 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »

"Why the sadness/When there should be gladness" - sez Mr. Positivity. What poetry!

Seriously, though, it's a bit too heavy on the vocal processing. Other than that, very pleasant! Smiley

Mike's auto tuned vocals are just awful.  I do really like the "why the sadness/gotta move on" hook/chorus! Really grabbed me. BVS sound akin to Papa Do Run Run, nothing like real Beach Boy harmonies.

Good for Mike that he made something new! (Even though the song is old).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 12:41:36 PM »

Not a fan of this recording (love the original), but it sounds like it might be a chorus effect or ADT on the vocals as opposed to autotune.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »

Not a fan of this recording (love the original), but it sounds like it might be a chorus effect or ADT on the vocals as opposed to autotune.
Whatever it is, it sounds awful. Musically, the song is terrific, it's just the lead vocal that kills it for me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »

I'm sure it's Melodyne (more sophisticated autotune software) and Vocalign (which syncs vocals to each other). Notice how air tight Mike's bass vocals are towards the end. His timing ain't that good. Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »

Kind of weird to hear the wall of Fosketts on a Mike solo recording. Like some of Brian's retro-sounding productions, way too "Be My Baby"-ish to my ears, and way too much reverb. I understand, they have to change it from the late 70's production sound of the original.

And yeah, I don't know why we're afraid to say autotune, or pitch correction, or heavy vocal processing. One if not all of those are slathered all over this thing. Sounds like a robot. As bad if not worse than any autotune on TWGMTR, whether it's literally the Antares Autotune software being used or not.

And yes, considering Mike's passive aggressive swipe and Al and Brian regarding autotune in the Beard "interview", that takes some balls.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »

I can personally vouchsafe there's no pitch correction on David Marks' new track, anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/davidleemarks/kustom-kar-show

I don't use it, but as others have pointed out, it's really an issue of when a processing effect -- any effect -- takes you out of the moment that the record is trying to create.  Everyone's mileage may vary on this question, of course.
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »

I like it. Was very surprised how good it sounded. Okay, lots of processing but it does smooth away some of the "old man voice" vocal. I might even buy it !
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARkj12Y6Uh4
Raspberries "Overnight sensation"

listen to the drum fills and the 60's radio link near the end... sounds like they used this song as a inspiration when they spiced up the original recording of "Alone on Christmas Day"

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »

Pretty cool! Nice one, Mike  Rock!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank goodness he fell asleep now we won't have to hear his "boring and mundane" comments  LOL

He only creason he comments like that is to hid his true love for Mike Love. No one eles goes out searching on youtube to listen to Mike Love vidoes just to bash them! Its his cover up pretty clear and easy to see.

But on topic! I love this single  better then his last version! Keep it up Mike!!! Thank you for such a wonderful Christmas song to listen to for many years to come!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »

Was Bruce not involved? ?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »

It's kind of sad that Mike Love would rather have some guy try to make it sound like a Brian Wilson production with the sleigh bells, the Hal Blaine Be My Baby drumbeat, instead of... working with Brian Wilson.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »

It's kind of sad that Mike Love would rather have some guy try to make it sound like a Brian Wilson production with the sleigh bells, the Hal Blaine Be My Baby drumbeat, instead of... working with Brian Wilson.

OK, but Mike's recording with the old Brian sound isn't really what Brian's current recordings sound like, though, so I'm not sure this really follows.  If he wants to get that sound, he's not necessarily going to get it working with Brian.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »

Dunno, Adam. We all have different opinions on that. Then again, lots of detractors here would call BW's recent recordings dated retro style productions with overly processed vocals and a wall of Fosketts, so... shrug.

But I see your point. Mike Love wants an idealized version of the 60s BW and not the actual living BW, his "Cousin Brian." So send in the Dirty Dancin' guy, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:21:15 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »

I am pleasantly surprised by this song.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »

I say this objectively, one of the only things cut by any of the BB's (save David Marks, from whom I haven't listened to that many of his more recent recordings) individually or collectively in the last 20-30 years that retains any significant amount of analog warm and fuzzies with instruments and vocals that actually breathe are some of the tracks on Al's "Postcards" album. I'm talking sonically. I always use the example of his take on "California Feeling." It sounds pure and warm sonically.

Even the most "non-electronic" of Brian's solo productions are so heavy on the echo and reverb, and other processing, even they lack that warmth and purity.

I think a few moments on "No Pier Pressure" get close. His vocal on "This Beautiful Day" for instance has some of this. Like some of the Al solo stuff, that Brian vocal sounds like a guy around 70 singing, for better and worse.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

This single is an example of Mike doing half-assed versions of more talented guys like Brian Wilson and Phil Spector.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »

As with David's cut which also debuted today, this is a very good track. Anytime any of the Beach Boys are in the studio is a good day for me.  Smiley
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »

This single is an example of Mike doing half-assed versions of more talented guys like Brian Wilson and Phil Spector.

Don't be so absurd and enjoy any new Beach Boys releated song that comes out! This dont happen often anymore and one day we wont get any new music from the guys!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »

I like it.  I'm really looking forward to hearing Phoenix's version.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank goodness he fell asleep now we won't have to hear his "boring and mundane" comments  LOL

He only creason he comments like that is to hid his true love for Mike Love. No one eles goes out searching on youtube to listen to Mike Love vidoes just to bash them! Its his cover up pretty clear and easy to see.

But on topic! I love this single  better then his last version! Keep it up Mike!!! Thank you for such a wonderful Christmas song to listen to for many years to come!

"...He only creason he comments like that is to hid..." Better not to post when you're boozin'. No wonder myKe's stupid Xmas single sounds good to you.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »

I enjoy the song. Not huge on the “Be My Baby” reference though. Did Phoenix ever say they were recording this?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 06:26:30 PM »

Don't be so absurd and enjoy any new Beach Boys releated song that comes out! This dont happen often anymore and one day we wont get any new music from the guys!

Well said. How many of the cranky comment folks who post here will still be cutting it into their mid-70s? We're fortunate that Mike and David and Brian and Al are still with us and making decent tunes… why be negative about something like that purely for the sake of being negative? If you know you're not going to like something, don't waste time looking it up online and listening before wasting our time by coming here and posting about it? Odd behaviour, to my mind…

“We live in divisive times.”
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »

Response:

Never, ever EVER post that picture anywhere again

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »

Response:

Never, ever EVER post that picture anywhere again

You do realize that you posted it again yourself, right? Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx