gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:17:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is THE most underrated Brian Wilson song?  (Read 18517 times)
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2015, 08:05:20 AM »

Sunshine (from Imagination)
Male Ego
Love Is a Woman
The TM Song
Back Home
Transcendental Meditation
In the Back of My Mind
Be True to Your School (album version)
KDS
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »

Here's a Beach Boys classic that doesn't get nearly as much love as it should

When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)

The arrangement is brilliant, as are the lyrics.  One of many great tracks from Today that proved The Beach Boys were much more than a surf / car band. 
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »

it's gotta be This Whole World imo. considering Brian's state at the time in contrast with how amazing, beautiful and joyous this song is, it's a bit of a miracle. also it rocks really hard.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »

Just Like Me and You.

A stone-cold classic in any era, relegated to bonus track status.
How did I never hear this before?  Cool!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:32 AM »

Winter Symphony too.
KDS
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »

it's gotta be This Whole World imo. considering Brian's state at the time in contrast with how amazing, beautiful and joyous this song is, it's a bit of a miracle. also it rocks really hard.

Great song.  One of the reasons Sunflower is my favorite Beach Boys album. 
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »

Amen.

The problem seems to be that there are so many BW songs that fans feel are underrated....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »

COMMENT:

Long Tall Texan

I love the way Mike yodels the ends of the verses -- at least when they sing it live.

~swd
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:37:54 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

What Love Can Do – https://youtu.be/n8A_J4KSvRg

One of his best solo career tracks… too few (even, I suspect, among the Smiley folk here) have heard this.

“We live in divisive times.”
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »

Let Him Run Wild     Surf's Up     Till I Die       could listen to these nonstop for days   
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »

In addition to the two Gershwin songs mentioned in my first post on this thread, I will second What Love Can Do, and add Rodney on the Rock, It's a Beautiful Day, Summer 's Gone,County Fair,  Farmer's Daughter, I'd Love Just Once to See You, Pamela Jean (Survivors),The Night Was So Young, Pitter Patter,  Just Once In My Life, Amusement Parks USA, Pet Sounds (title track), Had To Phone Ya, Shake Rattle and Roll, Celebrate the News, When. A Man Loves a Woman

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »

In addition to the two Gershwin songs mentioned in my first post on this thread, I will second What Love Can Do, and add Rodney on the Rock, It's a Beautiful Day, Summer 's Gone,County Fair,  Farmer's Daughter, I'd Love Just Once to See You, Pamela Jean (Survivors),The Night Was So Young, Pitter Patter,  Just Once In My Life, Amusement Parks USA, Pet Sounds (title track), Had To Phone Ya, Shake Rattle and Roll, Celebrate the News, When. A Man Loves a Woman

You're not done are you?
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Mama Says, and Let the Wind Blow.
Yeah, you know? People diss Let the Wind Blow all the time and I like it!

People diss LTWB? It's one of the most beautiful things - musically and lyrically - that I've ever heard. The version on the live album is unreal.

I can't think of a single song that should get the title of most underrated. The crappiest BB songs are still better than the vast majority of other pop music. But in the spirit of the thread, I'll throw out this underrated gem: Our Car Club. The key changes and the harmonies that they bust out in the second verse! 

An American Family got me hooked on LTWB. The version with just the vocals, a piano, and the backing harmonies from the film are astounding.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »

Underrated by who?  People who don't know Moon Dawg from Half Moon Bay?  People who don't know Brian didn't even compose Moon Dawg or perhaps those who thought Barbara Ann was one of his tunes?

This thread is just a disguise for discussing Brian's non-hit *gems*.  They're not underrated.  Not by well-versed fans.  Who cares what the ignorant think?  The thing is...in order to be ignorant they DON'T think.  [maybe only because they never had the chance to in this particular regard.]

There have been MANY outstanding songs 'dropped' here as being underrated.  Most of us would rate them very HIGHLY.  Why?  Because they are deserving of that kind of recognition and accolade.  They are truly essential and terrific songs.  [and arrangements]

Even the best ball players in the world don't strike out every batter, make every tackle, score on every shot, catch every ball, always kick it through the uprights or into the net.  So maybe some of Brian's gems don't quite shine as brightly as the others.  They're still appreciated by some and they round out a truly impressive, substantial and successful body of work.

For the great unwashed???  They're ALL underrated. Cool Guy  [poor bastards]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:16:16 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »

Let's Go to Heaven in My Car, Make a Wish, etc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:59:01 PM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

You're not done are you?

Haha, yeah !

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2015, 11:21:39 PM »

Underrated by who?  People who don't know Moon Dawg from Half Moon Bay?  People who don't know Brian didn't even compose Moon Dawg or perhaps those who thought Barbara Ann was one of his tunes?

This thread is just a disguise for discussing Brian's non-hit *gems*.  They're not underrated.  Not by well-versed fans.  Who cares what the ignorant think?  The thing is...in order to be ignorant they DON'T think.  [maybe only because they never had the chance to in this particular regard.]

There have been MANY outstanding songs 'dropped' here as being underrated.  Most of us would rate them very HIGHLY.  Why?  Because they are deserving of that kind of recognition and accolade.  They are truly essential and terrific songs.  [and arrangements]

Even the best ball players in the world don't strike out every batter, make every tackle, score on every shot, catch every ball, always kick it through the uprights or into the net.  So maybe some of Brian's gems don't quite shine as brightly as the others.  They're still appreciated by some and they round out a truly impressive, substantial and successful body of work.

For the great unwashed???  They're ALL underrated. Cool Guy  [poor bastards]

Are you not going to propose a song?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2015, 12:04:26 AM »

Errr... Peter, a word, please...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »

Yeah, I know...but It's a Beautiful day is attack that shines when other tracks of the time didn't

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »

Are you not going to propose a song?

Well...er...no.  I think I explained why.  Given the sentiments of some here I would say that his latest lp...No Pier Pressure...is badly underrated by a few who can't seem to hear it when it's plainly there.  Seems they've gotten caught up in meaningless distractions.  Perhaps the concept of the next "rock 'n' roll" lp is being underrated by even more?  It takes SOME people longer to 'get' it /hear it.

Pet Sounds was one of those at the time.  [for some]

Someone selected This Whole World.  Why?  It's an outstanding song from a fabulous album.  Underrated?  By fools and those who have no clue.  THEY don't count.  THAT's the point.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »

That Same Song, I Wanna Pick You Up and Goin' On.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »

The Little Girl I Once Knew - not on an album - I'll never figure that one out.  An afterthought on SDSN...

The First Time (can't find this on any album - another great one)

Lay Down Burden - from Imagination (with Joe Thomas)

Happy Days (from Imagination) - so hopeful, seeing the light in the tunnel, after the nightmare of 1998.  Wink

Imagination - as a work, felt as though Brian was somehow "turning a corner" in terms of his own personal survival. 

And, I love "The Waltz" (with Parks) really captures the ambiance of the early 60's high school dance, with boys on one side of the hall and girls on the other, both terrified of each other... Wink

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2015, 11:08:15 AM »

I know it was probably more of an Al Jardine effort, but I think Crack At Your Love is a great song.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

Lonely Sea - surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Also Eric Matthews cover on the Caroline Now! tribute album is very good.

This Isn't Love - would love for this to get the fully arranged Pet Sounds-esque treatment

Melt Away - just a classic

My Diane - awesome

Some Sweet Day - very nice song from the Wilson/ Paley sessions.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »

Sweet Mountain, imagine how much better of an album CaTP would've been if the Beach Boys recorded it instead!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx