-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:26:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Merged: (Your)Favorite Movies
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Merged: (Your)Favorite Movies  (Read 54079 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 06:59:07 PM »

Big Lebowski...I guess I always liked that it had a Beefheart song in it. That's about it, though. Never loved it the way many of my friends did.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 07:51:19 PM »

Of course without any order:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Breakfast Club
- Duel
- Citizen Kane
- Eyes Wide Shut
- The Great Dictator
- Mulholland Drive
- The Matrix
- Once Upon A Time In The West
- Schindler's List

P.S. I've also watched Soderbergh's "Solaris" yesterday for the first time. I'm not sure yet, but it could very well enter the top ten.

See the Tarkovsky original, if you haven't.
Lebowski, hate it.
Carly, for saying Valley of The Dolls, you rule.
Rerun, thanks for the kind words.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »

just off the top of my head:

empire strikes back
almost famous
raiders of the lost ark
superman: the movie
back to the future
easy rider
a christmas story
thx-1138
royal tenenbaums
bladerunner
ghostbusters
the terminator

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 03:27:17 AM »

See the Tarkovsky original, if you haven't.
I have (I've also read the book, of course), but for some reason, this version just didn´t work for me at all. Can't even tell you why. "Stalker" on the other hand is pure genuis.

P.S. How could I forget "Airplane"?!?! Funniest. Movie. Ever.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 10:34:05 AM »

Fargo
Raising Arizona
Barton Fink

I love these three, but never cared much for the Big Lebowski. 

The Big Lebowski isn't my favorite of the Coen Brother's films, lets not forget their 1984 keeper Blood Simple.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Domo Arigato
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 09:23:54 PM »

"Vernon, Florida"
"Amazon Women On The Moon"
"Animal House"
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

Rear Window

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2006, 11:48:34 AM »

Just a few...

Raging Bull
Rushmore
Election
Buffalo `66
Shawshank
Army of Darkness
Ghost World
Punch-Drunk Love
Patton

and from my childhood -- Lean on Me

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2006, 11:51:14 AM »

Just a few...

Raging Bull
Rushmore
Election
Buffalo `66
Shawshank
Army of Darkness
Ghost World
Punch-Drunk Love
Patton

Buffalo is on your list?Huh? Man, we need to talk that film.
Punch-Drunk, Ghost and Bull too.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2006, 11:57:25 AM »

Just a few...

Raging Bull
Rushmore
Election
Buffalo `66
Shawshank
Army of Darkness
Ghost World
Punch-Drunk Love
Patton

Buffalo is on your list?Huh? Man, we need to talk that film.

Buffalo was just so surreal to me at the time, but at the same time much more real than a lot of movies.  The insecurities displayed in that film and the awkwardness of being around a type of person you can't relate to, but finding something so appealing in that.

I'll tell you what really made me LOVE movies was Election.  I was relatively young (a sophmore in high school, I believe), and I remember watching it and as it ended thinking how it was nothing like I had imagined...it wasn't how that movie was supposed to be handled in my mind.  It was too obtuse and dry and cycnical, and I realized I loved it.  It didn't have to be obnoxious and over-the-top crazy to bring in a mainstream audience.  It was just a small, brilliant, hilarious film.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2006, 11:59:29 AM »

Totally agree, with both analyses.
I don't think Payne has equaled Election yet.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2006, 11:59:55 AM »

You mention "Punch Drunk Love" and I have to agree. That movie was fantastic.

Also, last night I watched The Cable Guy and The Big Lebowski, and both are becoming new favorites.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2006, 12:01:23 PM »

(just want everyone to see Ian and Rerun talking together and connecting on something in a friendly manner without hatred....)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2006, 12:03:11 PM »

You mention "Punch Drunk Love" and I have to agree. That movie was fantastic.

Also, last night I watched The Cable Guy and The Big Lebowski, and both are becoming new favorites.

I've already mentioned my thoughts on Lebowski, but I love the Cable Guy.  A lot of people seem to rip on it, but it's a movie that can make me cry with laughter.  My biggest complaint is the crap DVD edition, that I refuse to buy.

Same thing with Better off Dead...I know as soon as I buy it some kick-ass edition will be released and I'll hate myself.

Does anybody else care about something so worthless?  In the grand scheme of things, who really cares, but I can't help it.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »

(just want everyone to see Ian and Rerun talking together and connecting on something in a friendly manner without hatred....)

If I saw the dude, we probably wouldn't be talking about any political/religious stuff. We'd have a beer and talk about movie and music. Same goes for anyone I've had words with here.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2006, 12:06:02 PM »

Well, wait for it...I haven't made good on a potential promise yet.  At one point I mentioned I would watch "Match Point" and if I liked it, take Ian to task since he seems to hate it so.  It could be as awful as he has said, but I just couldn't believe a film that got relatively good reviews was disliked by everybody after he mentioned it, nobody to defend it.

It just so happens it has now arrived from my Netflix queue, so we shall see..

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 12:08:58 PM »

Dude, Ian and I disagree so often, it isn't funny.  Just this week he was aghast at my love for Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits as an album entity.  Disagreement is not hatred.  It's just two views interacting.  You'd never get anywhere in life without some disagreement.  The problem is in how people share their opinions (which is why the recent comments by Sebastian are so unsettling).
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 12:10:10 PM »

Ok, Ian...I have a question.  What was your thought on that initial car accident in the film?  I mean, on the surface it just seems so random, but obviously its symbolic of something.  I just always take it as an analogy for Barry.  The car is just coming down the road, drawing no attention to itself, and then out of nowhere, basically explodes and everybody turns to see what the hell is happening.

I could be completely off-base, but again, it was just my interpretation on the scene.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

Dude, Ian and I disagree so often, it isn't funny.  Just this week he was aghast at my love for Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits as an album entity.  Disagreement is not hatred.  It's just two views interacting.  You'd never get anywhere in life without some disagreement.  The problem is in how people share their opinions (which is why the recent comments by Sebastian are so unsettling).

Oh, I know.  I was just kidding about the hatred due to spawn.  Still, there have been times when a friend told me his favorite albums, or movies, or how they hate to read, and it does rub me the wrong way.  A definite feeling of generic, "I hate you so much right now," has definitely been something I've had to bottle up at times.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »

Rerun, you just hit at Ian's problem -- he DOESN'T bottle it up -- ever.  What you or I would keep to ourselves, he chooses to air in public.  He has publicly admitted this.  Ten minutes later, it may be forgotten.  Most of these passionate flameouts happen because of Ian's temper and his stating his unfiltered opinions. So if that helps you get him....  That's how I deal with him at least.

(of course, several of the more recent discussions with Chuck are a bit more premeditated.  I don't see Ian spouting any hatred there.)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2006, 12:18:04 PM »

Rerun, you just hit at Ian's problem -- he DOESN'T bottle it up -- ever.  What you or I would keep to ourselves, he chooses to air in public.  He has publicly admitted this.  Ten minutes later, it may be forgotten.  Most of these passionate flameouts happen because of Ian's temper and his stating his unfiltered opinions. So if that helps you get him....  That's how I deal with him at least.

(of course, several of the more recent discussions with Chuck are a bit more premeditated.  I don't see Ian spouting any hatred there.)

Sure.  sh*t happens.  I think everybody's moving on.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »

Ok, Ian...I have a question.  What was your thought on that initial car accident in the film?  I mean, on the surface it just seems so random, but obviously its symbolic of something.  I just always take it as an analogy for Barry.  The car is just coming down the road, drawing no attention to itself, and then out of nowhere, basically explodes and everybody turns to see what the hell is happening.

I could be completely off-base, but again, it was just my interpretation on the scene.

I think that about sums that up. The most puzzling part for me was the harmonium. I haven't seen the movie in about two years (really need to get the dvd). By the way, what was the main theme music in that movie?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see that it was asked of Ian.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »

Ok, Ian...I have a question.  What was your thought on that initial car accident in the film?  I mean, on the surface it just seems so random, but obviously its symbolic of something.  I just always take it as an analogy for Barry.  The car is just coming down the road, drawing no attention to itself, and then out of nowhere, basically explodes and everybody turns to see what the hell is happening.

I totally agree. I think it's just a little overture letting us know what we're in for, with the film and his character, cheap symbology I guess, but still effective.
That film CAPTURES the desolation of LA Valley existence like no other. And the open, freeing, airy feel when they get to Hawaii? Amazing. I love all Anderson's stuff, but that just may be my favorite.
See Match Point, man. Be interested in your thoughts.

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »

Ok, Ian...I have a question.  What was your thought on that initial car accident in the film?  I mean, on the surface it just seems so random, but obviously its symbolic of something.  I just always take it as an analogy for Barry.  The car is just coming down the road, drawing no attention to itself, and then out of nowhere, basically explodes and everybody turns to see what the hell is happening.

I think that about sums that up. The most puzzling part for me was the harmonium. I haven't seen the movie in about two years (really need to get the dvd). By the way, what was the main theme music in that movie?

From Altman's Popeye.  Or are you refering to the score?  In which case, no idea.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:22:19 PM by Rerun -- The greatest "Peanut" » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2006, 12:22:22 PM »

Written by Nilsson and sung by Shelley Duvall. Great music.
Have you seen Brown Bunny yet, Rerun?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: